Valmont West Coast Engineering (VWCE) is looking to expand our team! VWCE is currently seeking an individual for the position of Welder 1 at our Barrie, ON location.
Why choose Valmont?
VWCE has been in business since 1977 and is an industry leader in steel and aluminum pole manufacturing for governments, cities, towns, ports, airports and a host of other end user customers. We have manufacturing facilities in Ferndale, Washington, Delta, British Columbia, Winnipeg, Manitoba, and Barrie, Ontario.
Valmont is also recognized throughout the world as an industry leader in engineered support structures and coatings services for infrastructure, and water management for agriculture. Valmont manufactures products that are good for people and our planet. Our products help people around the world live better, more productive lives and in a safer environment.
We grow our business by leveraging our existing products, markets and processes. We have a company-wide commitment to customer service and innovation, and the ability to be the best cost producer for all products and services we provide. We recognize that out employees are the cornerstone of our accomplishments and pride ourselves on being people of passion and integrity who excel and delivery results.
- RRSP with company match
- Extended medical/dental
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Competitive compensation structure with bonus
- Various social events
- Employee referral program
- Spot recognition program
- A fun atmosphere to work in
DESCRIPTION OF JOB DUTIES
Valmont West Coast Engineering, the world leader in the design and manufacture of steel structures for the support of lighting and traffic fixtures. This position will assemble needed parts for the purpose of supplying a tack welded assembly that conforms to the specification of the blueprint. This position operates various types of welding processes, (MIG and flux core welding). Must pass welder test. Must be certified in MIG and Flux core welding to meet AWS and CWB requirements. Will be required to weld in a flat position. Adjusts welding equipment to its prescribed settings, operates propane equipment. Prepares section for galvanizing. This position will report to the Plant Supervisor and working with the Production Lead. Work is to be performed to the quality standards for the particular job at hand, as well as meeting the appropriate labor standard..
- > 5 years relevant welding experience
- Minimum requirement is CWB weld tickets in FCAW / MCAW flat and GMAW flat
- Crane training, WHMIS
- Capable of understanding key processes in the department
- Ability to interpret drawings, work orders, welding processes, materials, and other documentation associated with production
- Ability to fit / weld (with minimal supervision / guidance) site’s most complex structures, while meeting the required quality / efficiency standards. Examples of typical assignments include MTO high mast, hinge poles, sign structures, sport lighting poles (MUSCO), TTC, Union Station, etc.
- Strong mathematical capability and layout skills
- Willing to work overtime as required and committed to doing what is necessary to ensure duties are completed.
- Strong oral and written English language communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task and balance conflicting priorities.
- Sense of urgency with excellent attention to detail.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
1. Taking direction from the Production Lead and Plant Supervisor, process work as requested (verbally, written, printed on W/O’s, drawings, etc.)
2. Fit up and / or weld out projects, as assigned. Perform other tasks as requested.
3. Ensure all work accurately reflects the documentation associated with the job (W/O, dwg., etc.), respecting standards, tolerances, special notes, etc. as are captured therein.
4. Ensures welding equipment and materials are maintained / stored to acceptable standards.
5. Always promote quality work and work methods, sharing these values with peers.
6. Aggressively seek to add value to the company and its operations, minimizing idleness, and avoiding non-value-added activities.
7. Critically review job documentation to ensure requirements are attained; reporting any irregularities to the Plant Supervisor or Foreman.
8. Support a continuous Quality Improvement mentality on the floor, yielding better processes, reduced waste, and increased throughput.
9. Follow all relevant procedures and protocols, as exist and / or may be put into place as deemed necessary by management.
10. Operate in a safe and controlled fashion, respecting the safety protocols of the company, and promote safe work practices with peers. Report unsafe conditions to the Plant Supervisor or Foreman. Housekeeping duties as may be assigned or expected as part of performing productions tasks
11. Related and non-related duties as deemed necessary by the Plant Supervisor or Foreman.
If you are looking for a fast paced, challenging and fun work environment this is a great opportunity for you!
Consider VALMONT. It can be your next STEP!
For more information please visit our website at www.wceng.com