Valley Presbyterian Employee Reviews

productive work place
Family Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAOctober 18, 2015
There is a great room to grow for experience wise. Supportive management. Colleagues are very friendly and helpful I learned a lot from colleagues. there are always expansion to grow in a career .
Pros
Free meals
10+ years, no opportunities
Ancillary Area (Former Employee) –  Van NuysNovember 9, 2014
As a dedicated employee, I had one promotion within my department. Eventhough I had earned good evaluations and a BA degree, each time I applied for a position in the financial arena, I was passed over. My co-workers did not work as a team and instead of making the department better, they slandered each other. The head of the department was uneducated, volatile, a gossip, made bad choices, and had everyone do his work, but good at the politics. Promoted those who were obsequious servants. Laid off many managers that they didn't like, no matter if they did a good job. Fortunately, this boss is leaving soon. HR dept. was incompetent, hardly had anyone from administration visited the dept and did not seem to support us. However, the benefits were very good and employees in other areas were friendly. I'm so glad I have moved on and should have done that sooner.
Pros
short distance from home
Cons
politics
Basement and C-sections
Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMay 24, 2016
From Natural birth delivery to C-sections amazing experience also down in the basement to organize and set up trays and wrap and peel pack ready to sterilize
Pros
Amazing experience
Cons
A little far
Excellent benefits and opportunity
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMarch 21, 2013
A public hospital that is striving to move forward, increasing the "likeability" and medical expertise in a fast-changing world. Improving and updating to the latest technology and medical practices in stroke, cardiac, and neonatal care. The old part of the hospital is in the process of renovation. The new building is very nice and the OB/Maternity area has just been completely remodeled and updated.

Most units are very busy, especially the telemetry unit as there is no DOU.

Hardest part: The new building is very large, thus the units are big. As much as an attempt to assign rooms near each other is made, typically it does not work. This makes it challenging to accomplish tasks efficiently and timely. Language and cultural barriers can be a challenge in both patient care and staff interaction.

Most enjoyable: Opportunity to advance and learn new areas of focus. Having an excellent charge nurse and director. Patient interaction and making a difference, besides the drive home.
Pros
benefits, job security, opportunity, large facility with multi-specialty units
Cons
short breaks, difficulty taking lunch, personality/staff/management conflicts-as with most hospitals
Sad stories to share.
Patient Access Rep (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAAugust 18, 2015
Coworkers amazing.
Place, dirty, filthy.
Management, poor.
ER, you hear nurses often cursing each other, Doctor graveyard does not care for patients at all. Wounds are sent home after an hour of being admitted.
Its insane.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
everything else
A great place to work.
Stationary Steam Engineer, General Maintenance. (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMarch 8, 2015
A fantastic place to work. Friendly and well trained staff. A typical day at work is fun, interesting and full of surprises. You'll find the CEO on the floor shaking hands and talking to staff members.
There is no hard part to my job. I know what I have to do and I go do it. The most enjoyable part of the job is going to work every day and never knowing whats goingto happen.
Pros
very happy and satisfied staff. a great place to work, very friendly peiople.
Cons
no cons
fun, efficient, professional,and healthy environment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJune 30, 2015
on a daily basis we greet customers as they walk in and out. log them into the system as attended appointment ,get their vitals taken prepare them a room for the doctor to see them and set them in prepare them with any intstructions of procedures that will be proceed. aware the doctor that they are ready to be seen, assist the doctor in any assistance they might need ,log down everything that the patient said and the proceedures that where taken .sometimes if blood draw needs to be collected we do so and we tell the patient when to expect the results and give them an appointment for follow up if needed. I enjoy my job well its amazing the friendship u make with ur coworkers and doctors.
Pros
working with other team work
Cons
n/a
Just an intern, not an actual employee.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAOctober 19, 2015
Did not for this hospital, only finished my internship there. Almost everyone was very helpful, nice and friendly. Did work with several sonographers and all of them help me a lot, learnt most of the stuff that they never teach you in the school.
general maintenance (Former Employee) –  van nuysMay 25, 2012
typical day just show up at work place and do the duties. i learn a few things. management were poor. co-workers were nice. hardest part none. enjoyable when my dities were finish.
Cons
no benefits
Very friendly, supporting department.
Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CASeptember 10, 2015
It is a great place to work. The manager is very supportive and understanding. The co-workers work well together and as a team.
Pros
I've been there for 8+ years and know the environment
Cons
I'm only there per diem
Great place to meet great co-workers
Patient Care Admitting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CANovember 5, 2013
Nothing much to say but a great place to meet great Co-workers
busy hospital
Pros
employees, benefits
Cons
management
LVN Emergency Room Nurse (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAApril 2, 2013
Worked in ER and Urgent Care. I enjoyed working with all my co-workers and I certainly learned alot over the years. The management was fairly balanced, there was a big turn over of ER managers.The hardest part of my job was the unpredictability, some days could be good and other days you felt like, I've had enough of this place.
The most enjoyable part of my job was taking care of my patients and knowing I did the best job possible.
Pros
close to home, 12 hour shifts 3 days a week
Cons
staffing issues, over worked and responsibility was too high.
Directed pathology and clinical laboratories with 750,000 tests per year and blood donor services with 1,200 drawn annually for a 380 bed acute-care m
Director of Lab & Pathology Services (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAAugust 1, 2013
Received documented accolades from The Joint Commission survey team in 2005 as oneof the finest f the 250 laboratories that they had audited.
Improved the turnaround time by 20 minutes on Emergency Department lab results. Established multi-disciplinary approach that streamlined internal systems without adding additional costs.
Decreased single blood culture orders from 6.4% to 1.6% through clinical staff and physician education.
Cut urine contamination rates for obstetrical patients by 50% through standardizing collection containers, increasing the frequency of specimen pick-up, simplifying and adding bilingual instructions, and educating staff.
Played a key role in the implementation of new policies and procedures that insured all patients had proper identification armbands, improving compliance from 13% to 1% error. Changed organizational culture through physician and nursing staff education.
Pros
excellent "not for profit " community hospital
Great environment
Volunteer for Escort Office, Discharging (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAApril 22, 2015
I love to work here it fun and exciting, gives you and experience for what a medical career would be like. Great co-workers, friendly people.
Pros
free food
Great workplace
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAAugust 30, 2015
Valley presbyterian Hospital is a great workplace with manageable scheduling which is a big plus. Worked at the Med-Surg/Oncology Unit. Census can be high with less staff that can lead to work overload.
VPH is a good hospital, Just don't get involved with the politics
Non Nursing Unit- Business (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJune 11, 2013
VPH is a hospital with a lot of great potential. They are in the heart of the community. As a non-profit hospital, all decisions are made at the executive level. This is great, because you don't have to go through legal to start new projects/ endeavors.

The company has started to look at enhancing the company culture. They have a blog that the CEO puts out and give you room to share your views.

The negative is that the company has a very divided executive staff. They don't work very well together. That division causes that many work on their egos instead of mission. Some opportunities for collaboration and enhancement are often passed up. The politics has really kept the company from reaching their full potential.

Sometimes working on a larger unit can be better, you have a manager, director and a VP. Working on smaller units, can be a plus or negative. If your VP really likes you, you can get their support and grow. But if they have a biased opinion, there is no room for growth and you can easily be dismissed regardless of your talents. My suggestion, avoid the politics. Getting to close to the top gives you a close up look at the internal politics, that can be very disheartening.

Your co-workers are awesome! They will be your rocks. They have some of the most amazing people that work there.

Work life balance is, so so so. It is easy to get sucked in to working overtime and taking work home. My best advice, set clear boundaries from the start. If you don't you will always be taking work home, and the more you give the more they will take.

The hospital does a lot for their
  more... employees, they have hospital picnics, employee recognition, and Christmas parties. They are also starting a leadership training. This is a plus.

The negative, is the hospital lacks resources. Reporting can be a challenge, marketing and educational materials are a challenge to get. Obtaining vital resources or having to go through multiple channels to get your resources can make your job twice as difficult.

This is a sink or swim job. So you have to be ready to figure out your resources fast. You also have to figure out how to get resources from people that are doing the very minimum at their jobs.

My suggestion, VPH is a good place to start, unfortunately you have to keep one foot in and one foot out. Over the last several years the company has experienced a high turn over. Both with executive staff, leadership and employees. This has been a trend for the last 6 years. Unfortunately, you wont find many tenured people. That's says a lot about the organizations commitment to employees.
Pros
lots of employee recognition programs
Cons
politics with executive staff
antepartum department is very friendly and teamplayers
Nurse Assistant/Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAApril 30, 2013
overall is a good place to work and make new family friends. Management is not all organized yet, but trying. But i have learned a lot in that department and to other departments i have worked. Its taken me to think of doing more maybe like becoming a register nurse.
Pros
nothing really
Cons
most of the time we dont get a full lunch break and hardly get our 15min breaks
cool palce to work
food service worker (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CADecember 6, 2014
work life is a majority of the time around professional people who offer the best care, you feel like your with a family other than being around a bunch of strangers and team work is awesome at this facility
Pros
lifestyle, pay, experience
Cons
people are not whom they seem to be
Great working environment
Acute Care Services Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAOctober 29, 2014
I have been working at Valley Presbyterian Hospital for almost 8 years now. I love working there. Everyone is friendly. Acute Care Services Management team is the best team ever. They really care for you and support all of us in growing professionally.
Very friendly staff, but if you are going to school management would not try to work with your school schedule.
Orderly/ tech II (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys CaliforniaMarch 5, 2012
management did not want to work with my school schedule so it cause me to miss work sadly i had to choose between work or school, I chose school. However i do wish i could have stayed.
Cons
very short breaks, sometime you wouldnt get your 15 min break.