Validus Research Inc., based in Waterloo, Ontario, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Validus Holdings. Validus Holdings Ltd. is a publicly traded (NYSE: VR) Bermuda based catastrophe reinsurance company with over $4 Billion USD in assets. We have an immediate opening for full time Catastrophe Risk Analyst to join the dynamic Catastrophe Modeling team.
Catastrophe Risk Analyst at Validus Research Inc. work to develop innovative solutions to problems in measuring catastrophe risk. We receive large sets of exposure data from brokers that get dissected using the latest catastrophe models (AIR, EQECAT, RMS), as well as in-house tools. Our aim is to be proactive in trying to create solutions to help deliver information that will be vital and/or complementary to making decisions.
The Catastrophe Risk Analyst should have a quantitative/business background, with a passion in drilling down to the necessary details. We're looking for a person who can breakdown problems logically and can ask the right questions to arrive at sound conclusions from the data provided. Often times an Analyst will work on special projects, alone or with other team members. It is important that the successful candidate be able to collaborate with other members of the company and/or work independently. Although it would be a plus, experience with catastrophe models or reinsurance is not essential. Necessary training will be provided for the use of catastrophe models and principles of reinsurance. Compensation will be highly competitive based on experience and qualifications.
- Working with insurance exposure data with catastrophe models (AIR, EQECAT, RMS) for pricing in Validus proprietary software
- Communicating relevant information such as analysis results of catastrophe modeling data and exposure's potential impact to Validus reinsurance portfolio
- Support management with reports related to catastrophe modeling data
- Tracking and running simulations against portfolio for replication of potential losses from live catastrophic events
- Research and analyze business conditions in worldwide markets in order to identify trends and opportunities for business growth
- Thinking creatively to come up with new ideas to enhance our value to the organization
- Undergraduate and/or graduate degree in quantitative disciplines such as math/economics/statistics/actuarial/other quantitative discipline
- Ability to work under pressure and within a team framework
- Proven organizational and timekeeping skills and a strong case of attention to detail are essential
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to deal effectively and courteously with clients and colleagues, and to exercise discretion and confidentiality in all matters
- Some work outside of normal office hours including evenings, weekends and public holidays if necessary
- Working knowledge of industry catastrophe models
- Familiarity with GIS software such as Manifold
Indeed - 17 months ago
copy to clipboard
Validus Research Inc., based in Waterloo, Ontario, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Validus Holdings. Validus Holdings Ltd. is a publicly...