Vale Employee Reviews

the employies were great to work with
retired miner (Former Employee) –  Copper Cliff, ON17 January 2014
meet with crew at start of shift and discuss the days work. go over safety for previous day and present days work. See what other work was being done in other parts of the mine. The hardest part of the job was when equipment was broken and you had to wait for it to be repaired and the most enjoyable part was that you did the job safely and efficiently
Great Work Enviroment Geared toward teaching
Project Planner (Current Employee) –  Long Harnour, NL10 August 2015
Great place to work, great people and tremendous learning experiences.
Currently I am planning a multi-disciplinary process neutralization portion of the nickel processing facility.
Positive and fun place to work, with numerous learning oportunites.
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN APPRENTICE (Co-op Student) (Former Employee) –  Copper Cliff, ON5 January 2015
Typical day at work begins with the morning line up. All co-workers meet up in lunch room as the supervisor joins us to discuss safety awareness, then the supervisor will assign each team member a set of duties for the day. Co-workers are divided up dependent on the task. Co-workers are divided differently each day to ensure that everyone in the group works cooperatively with each other. After tasks have been completed, team members aide other groups to ensure all duties are completed. Nearing the end of the day, team members clean up shop ensure clean working environment. At the end of the day a final meeting with supervisor where everyone discusses how the day went, and share an act of safety they performed that day with the group. Overall a great working experience!
Pros
A lot of available overtime.
Cons
Was not permanent.
Resistant to Change, Little Concern for Employees
Change Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario5 March 2015
Although I worked for Vale, I was working on a project for the company separate from the office headquarters. We were heavily involved with the business and in my role specifically I was regularly interacting with upper management. The company pays extremely well, however they have little to no concern for their employees.

My colleagues on the project were outstanding, however most of them were from the actual mining facilities being brought to Toronto to work on the project.

The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out where you could add value with a highly decentralized management structure and nonexistent business processes. On the other hand, this also made the work environment more enjoyable as you had more or less free range on implementing any ideas you had with very little push back.
Pros
Location, Pay, Colleagues, Work Environment, Social Environment
Cons
Long Hours
Commitment to safe work practices
Safety Facilitator,Planner/Scheduler, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB20 July 2016
- Begin day with daily planning meeting where we discuss work and any issues that may effect crews and/or work areas.

- In my work i learned to have an open mind and listen attentively to others ideas around work. in doing so we revised some safe work procedures making work more safe and efficient.

- Management communicated well together which is key to executing work safely and productively.

- Co-workers and peers turn to my extensive experience when they were unsure on assigning certain work to employees. i was a resource to all levels of management and employees. My door was always open to anyone who had a concern about their job.

- hardest part of the job for me was investigating serious incidents within the mines where people i knew for years were injured. i always found the root cause and put recommendations to upper management and government inspectors on reducing likelihood of reoccurrence. unfortunately in the mines some tasks would always remain high risk so safe work procedures would be implemented.

- the most enjoyable part of my day was knowing i made a difference in workers lives by improving safety in the workplace and changing the mining culture and beliefs where serious injuries were expected to happen in the mining process. i believe that with training we can change how individuals approach work. Eliminate lost time accidents and bring overall injury statistics down no matter the work environment.
Pros
Making a positive difference in mine safety, knowing employee's went home to their families unhurt.
Cons
long hours away from my family, changing vacation plans for the efficiency of the operation.
Great place to work at
Electrical Engineer in Training (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MB27 July 2015
Vale has been a great learning experience for me and i would recommend others that if they ever come across an opportunity from Vale, they should definitely give it a chance
Very safety concsious, lots of training, plenty of room for advancement
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MB20 August 2014
Excellent benefits and pay, very safe environment and industry leading safety programs.
Pros
Good wages and benefits, high safety standards
Cons
Generally negative workforce, take much for granted and complain alot
Productive and Fun Workplace
Workterm Student (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL12 February 2014
a typical day at work consists of going into the office and doing some computer work. Also, going out onto site and doing inspections of some of the buildings on site. It isn't intense work, but it keeps me busy. Th co-workers are great, and approachable.
This was a good company to work for and treated me well and I gave them my best in return
firstline supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON30 October 2012
As a supervisor I was responsible to ensure taht all people were gainfully employed and that they were giving all imformation relevent to thger daily tasks that would allow them to safely perform their job. I was responsible to do daily audits to ensure that each person was working to standard and not putting his/hers or others safety at risk.Being a supervisor for so long has given me an excellent level of people and communication skills. I get along well with all levels of people and enjoy working hands on with them. This is probably why I remained a firstline supervisor for so long. I have an excellent ability to assess situations and react accordingly. The hardest part of my job was issuing discipline.When I had to I tried to always make it constructive and educational.
Pros
excellent people to work with
Cons
i had no dislikes to my job. when the days got long and hectic it brought out the best in me
Wonderful Workplace, Volatile Business
Chemical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga ON16 July 2013
Vale Base Metals Technology Division in Mississauga WAS a fantastic place to work with wonderful people and a great atmosphere. Unfortunately, due to the ups and downs of the mining industry it is currently on a down.
great place to work
Project Technologist (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL5 August 2015
great spot to work just a far drive from the city

management is lacking

distance and quality of life is lacking

great experience on site
Challenging and Interesting Work Environment
Site Administration Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, Newfoundland24 September 2015
During my employment with Fluor Constructors I was required to travel long distances for employment. Working at the Vale project required travel to Newfoundland. I was on a 10 and 4 rotation which equated to be only home 6 days a month. This was challenging. My work at the Vale project was interesting and demanding in that the staff was upwards of 300 and had traveled from all over the world to work there.

Due to the length of the project the Project Director changed 3 times and that meant adapting to new management skills. This was acquired through diplomacy.

I enjoyed working in Newfoundland a truly endearing province and a beautiful place to work. The local staff were amazing,

I decided at the end of this project to leave the employment of Fluor in order to spend more time at home. I took a year off to regroup and am now actively looking for employment in the local area. The employment I am looking for may not necessarily be of the same responsibilities and caliber of work as was the case with Fluor and I realize will not be of the same pay rate.

My goal is to provide valuable, perfected, reliable assistance to my employer.
Good Apprentice Pay
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN APPRENTICE (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON20 February 2013
Good Apprentice Pay, Good Benefits, Good Co-workers, Industrial Environment, Dirty, Hazardous Locations, Good Mix of Work Assignments, Physically Demanding
productive and a fun work place
Refinery / Filter Operator (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB21 March 2015
great wages and benefits.
Great coworkers
always room for advancement
repetitive work, deadlines
amazing staff and leadership
Instructional Designer & Training Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2015
Enjoyed very much working at Vale. I had the the chance to work with very skilled people and very smart management.
Project and Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON16 June 2014
- Management level with good knowledge
- Excellent environment
- Big company, so things change slowly
Pros
Work balance
Cons
Slowly to change something
Large mining company
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB14 November 2014
Vale is a large mining company with assets within Canada in the canadian-shield. These assets are in mining towns which is what anyone should expect.
was my first electrical company
Co-op Electrical Apprentice - Vale (Former Employee) –  Copper Cliff, ON17 April 2014
worked with very informed electricians taught a lot about safety
Pros
great start for career
Cons
no work
Very good to work for 30 years
Underground Miner (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB14 February 2013
Excellent to work for
Good co-workers
Learned lots
Good Safety rules
Pros
excellent co-workers
bad managment
Apprenticeship Electrical co-op (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON10 September 2012
no organization for new employies, nothings organized

the co-workers were great