Vale Employee Reviews in Canada

Great people to work with
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Port Colborne,OntFebruary 18, 2013
Was in research department so we were always doing different projects. Had the opputunity to learn new things. Worked with different chemicals. Mixed,weighed and labelled for shipping. Management was great and all friendly.Co-workers were all helpfull and friendly. The hardest part of the job was saying good-bye. We were all on contract and all got laid off at the same time as we had no more funding for projects for the 2013 year. Was the best job i ever had learning and given the chance with really no experience at all working in a chemical refinery.
Pros
had great co-workers
Cons
being on contract
Positive and fun place to work, with numerous learning oportunites.
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN APPRENTICE (Co-op Student) (Former Employee) –  Copper Cliff, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Typical day at work begins with the morning line up. All co-workers meet up in lunch room as the supervisor joins us to discuss safety awareness, then the supervisor will assign each team member a set of duties for the day. Co-workers are divided up dependent on the task. Co-workers are divided differently each day to ensure that everyone in the group works cooperatively with each other. After tasks have been completed, team members aide other groups to ensure all duties are completed. Nearing the end of the day, team members clean up shop ensure clean working environment. At the end of the day a final meeting with supervisor where everyone discusses how the day went, and share an act of safety they performed that day with the group. Overall a great working experience!
Pros
a lot of available overtime.
Cons
was not permanent.
If You Like The Far North this is it
millwright (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBApril 4, 2012
Had My best Millwrighting Job there working in the Pump Shop. Rebuilding and installing pumps in the Refinery. Was there 9 mons. and wish I could have stayed, but had to return to Ontario at the time. Guys were great to work with but management had some issues that they should work on. I focused on my job stayed out of that but it was sometimes a pain.
Pros
fishing
Cons
far away from the world
A one year Contract
Mine Labourer (Former Employee) –  Levack, ONOctober 16, 2014
I worked underground at the 3070 level of the mine, in the mobile department. I assembled and organized the new parts department, and made barcodes for each part and inputted them into the database. This new system helped Vale know exactly how many parts were in inventory, and ensured there was no overstock and understock and when an order would have to be made. The number one objective was to reduce the down time between jobs. I worked Monday to Thursday ten and half hours a day. The best part about my job at Vale was the attention to safety, working safe is the upmost important aspect to any job that will ensure you come home to your family after each shift.
Pros
learned safe working practices
Cons
contract
Instructional Designer & Training Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2015
Enjoyed very much working at Vale. I had the the chance to work with very skilled people and very smart management.
Project and Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJune 16, 2014
- Management level with good knowledge
- Excellent environment
- Big company, so things change slowly
Pros
work balance
Cons
slowly to change something
Very safety concsious, lots of training, plenty of room for advancement
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MBAugust 20, 2014
Excellent benefits and pay, very safe environment and industry leading safety programs.
Pros
good wages and benefits, high safety standards
Cons
generally negative workforce, take much for granted and complain alot
This was a good company to work for and treated me well and I gave them my best in return
firstline supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONOctober 30, 2012
As a supervisor I was responsible to ensure taht all people were gainfully employed and that they were giving all imformation relevent to thger daily tasks that would allow them to safely perform their job. I was responsible to do daily audits to ensure that each person was working to standard and not putting his/hers or others safety at risk.Being a supervisor for so long has given me an excellent level of people and communication skills. I get along well with all levels of people and enjoy working hands on with them. This is probably why I remained a firstline supervisor for so long. I have an excellent ability to assess situations and react accordingly. The hardest part of my job was issuing discipline.When I had to I tried to always make it constructive and educational.
Pros
excellent people to work with
Cons
i had no dislikes to my job. when the days got long and hectic it brought out the best in me
Good Apprentice Pay
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN APPRENTICE (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 20, 2013
Good Apprentice Pay, Good Benefits, Good Co-workers, Industrial Environment, Dirty, Hazardous Locations, Good Mix of Work Assignments, Physically Demanding
was my first electrical company
Co-op Electrical Apprentice - Vale (Former Employee) –  Copper Cliff, ONApril 17, 2014
worked with very informed electricians taught a lot about safety
Pros
great start for career
Cons
no work
Very good to work for 30 years
Underground Miner (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBFebruary 14, 2013
Excellent to work for
Good co-workers
Learned lots
Good Safety rules
Pros
excellent co-workers
Cons
the employies were great to work with
retired miner (Former Employee) –  Copper Cliff, ONJanuary 17, 2014
meet with crew at start of shift and discuss the days work. go over safety for previous day and present days work. See what other work was being done in other parts of the mine. The hardest part of the job was when equipment was broken and you had to wait for it to be repaired and the most enjoyable part was that you did the job safely and efficiently
Large mining company
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBNovember 14, 2014
Vale is a large mining company with assets within Canada in the canadian-shield. These assets are in mining towns which is what anyone should expect.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Workterm Student (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NLFebruary 12, 2014
a typical day at work consists of going into the office and doing some computer work. Also, going out onto site and doing inspections of some of the buildings on site. It isn't intense work, but it keeps me busy. Th co-workers are great, and approachable.
Wonderful Workplace, Volatile Business
Chemical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga ONJuly 16, 2013
Vale Base Metals Technology Division in Mississauga WAS a fantastic place to work with wonderful people and a great atmosphere. Unfortunately, due to the ups and downs of the mining industry it is currently on a down.
bad managment
Apprenticeship Electrical co-op (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONSeptember 10, 2012
no organization for new employies, nothings organized

the co-workers were great