Vale

Vale Employee Reviews

Challenging and Interesting Work Environment
Site Administration Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NewfoundlandSeptember 24, 2015
During my employment with Fluor Constructors I was required to travel long distances for employment. Working at the Vale project required travel to Newfoundland. I was on a 10 and 4 rotation which equated to be only home 6 days a month. This was challenging. My work at the Vale project was interesting and demanding in that the staff was upwards of 300 and had traveled from all over the world to work there.

Due to the length of the project the Project Director changed 3 times and that meant adapting to new management skills. This was acquired through diplomacy.

I enjoyed working in Newfoundland a truly endearing province and a beautiful place to work. The local staff were amazing,

I decided at the end of this project to leave the employment of Fluor in order to spend more time at home. I took a year off to regroup and am now actively looking for employment in the local area. The employment I am looking for may not necessarily be of the same responsibilities and caliber of work as was the case with Fluor and I realize will not be of the same pay rate.

My goal is to provide valuable, perfected, reliable assistance to my employer.
a tremendous learning opportunity.
Smelter Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBFebruary 9, 2015
A typical day at work ran 12 hours, involved extreme labor requiring the ability to lift over 50 pounds, shoveling/ vaccuuming nickel dust and other minerals, and maintaining the production of nickel anodes weighing over 600 pounds each. i learned how to work in a heavy industry that has not been upgraded since the 1950's therefore requiring a lot of the processes to be done by hand. my coworkers were not the most helpful to adapt with but overall helped me understand how to work safely and diligently. the most enjoyable part of the job was watching myself lose 60 pounds and be in the best shape of my life, and strengthen the relationships i had with coworkers who i grew to highly respect.
Pros
hourly wage, holiday pay, benefits, premiums, training, heavy labor.
Cons
long days, physically exhausting, dangerous, toxic environment
This was a good company to work for and treated me well and I gave them my best in return
firstline supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONOctober 30, 2012
As a supervisor I was responsible to ensure taht all people were gainfully employed and that they were giving all imformation relevent to thger daily tasks that would allow them to safely perform their job. I was responsible to do daily audits to ensure that each person was working to standard and not putting his/hers or others safety at risk.Being a supervisor for so long has given me an excellent level of people and communication skills. I get along well with all levels of people and enjoy working hands on with them. This is probably why I remained a firstline supervisor for so long. I have an excellent ability to assess situations and react accordingly. The hardest part of my job was issuing discipline.When I had to I tried to always make it constructive and educational.
Pros
excellent people to work with
Cons
i had no dislikes to my job. when the days got long and hectic it brought out the best in me
Resistant to Change, Little Concern for Employees
Change Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMarch 5, 2015
Although I worked for Vale, I was working on a project for the company separate from the office headquarters. We were heavily involved with the business and in my role specifically I was regularly interacting with upper management. The company pays extremely well, however they have little to no concern for their employees.

My colleagues on the project were outstanding, however most of them were from the actual mining facilities being brought to Toronto to work on the project.

The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out where you could add value with a highly decentralized management structure and nonexistent business processes. On the other hand, this also made the work environment more enjoyable as you had more or less free range on implementing any ideas you had with very little push back.
Pros
location, pay, colleagues, work environment, social environment
Cons
Positive and fun place to work, with numerous learning oportunites.
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN APPRENTICE (Co-op Student) (Former Employee) –  Copper Cliff, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Typical day at work begins with the morning line up. All co-workers meet up in lunch room as the supervisor joins us to discuss safety awareness, then the supervisor will assign each team member a set of duties for the day. Co-workers are divided up dependent on the task. Co-workers are divided differently each day to ensure that everyone in the group works cooperatively with each other. After tasks have been completed, team members aide other groups to ensure all duties are completed. Nearing the end of the day, team members clean up shop ensure clean working environment. At the end of the day a final meeting with supervisor where everyone discusses how the day went, and share an act of safety they performed that day with the group. Overall a great working experience!
Pros
a lot of available overtime.
Cons
was not permanent.
Fast paced, Receptive to Change
Operations Technician - Commissioning Team (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NLAugust 12, 2013
Plant is in the comissioning stage, therefore going through though changes with scope of work, which is dependant on construction completion.

A typical day will inclue reviewing and updating procedures, walking flow paths and reading and modifying P&ID's

Managment is dealing with changing deadlines pertaining to construction completion.

Good Crew Selected for the first hire of techs, based on attitude and apptitude test.

The potential for advancment and salary increase is the most discouraging with this company, and not being fully utilized to my potential.

The most enjoyable part is learning what it takes to commission a plant and the attention to detail that it requires.
Pros
potentially equal time on and off when plant is operational
Cons
poor salary structure
A one year Contract
Mine Labourer (Former Employee) –  Levack, ONOctober 16, 2014
I worked underground at the 3070 level of the mine, in the mobile department. I assembled and organized the new parts department, and made barcodes for each part and inputted them into the database. This new system helped Vale know exactly how many parts were in inventory, and ensured there was no overstock and understock and when an order would have to be made. The number one objective was to reduce the down time between jobs. I worked Monday to Thursday ten and half hours a day. The best part about my job at Vale was the attention to safety, working safe is the upmost important aspect to any job that will ensure you come home to your family after each shift.
Pros
learned safe working practices
Cons
contract
Great people to work with
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Port Colborne,OntFebruary 18, 2013
Was in research department so we were always doing different projects. Had the opputunity to learn new things. Worked with different chemicals. Mixed,weighed and labelled for shipping. Management was great and all friendly.Co-workers were all helpfull and friendly. The hardest part of the job was saying good-bye. We were all on contract and all got laid off at the same time as we had no more funding for projects for the 2013 year. Was the best job i ever had learning and given the chance with really no experience at all working in a chemical refinery.
Pros
had great co-workers
Cons
being on contract
very good hours of work
Central Control Room Operator / Spare Supervisor (Former Employee) –  LabradorDecember 15, 2014
12 hour shifts I learned to train personell in various positions management was good very helpful when needed co workers were natives which I got along with very good I trained all of them in mineral processing hardest part of the job was leaving home for 2 weeks but I have been doing that for 16 years never gets easier but I lov love to work most enjoyable was getting to know the ore and what to do to get better recoveries
If You Like The Far North this is it
millwright (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBApril 4, 2012
Had My best Millwrighting Job there working in the Pump Shop. Rebuilding and installing pumps in the Refinery. Was there 9 mons. and wish I could have stayed, but had to return to Ontario at the time. Guys were great to work with but management had some issues that they should work on. I focused on my job stayed out of that but it was sometimes a pain.
Pros
fishing
Cons
far away from the world
the employies were great to work with
retired miner (Former Employee) –  Copper Cliff, ONJanuary 17, 2014
meet with crew at start of shift and discuss the days work. go over safety for previous day and present days work. See what other work was being done in other parts of the mine. The hardest part of the job was when equipment was broken and you had to wait for it to be repaired and the most enjoyable part was that you did the job safely and efficiently
Great place to work if you love challenges
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NLJanuary 12, 2016
A great learning place.

Outstanding safety culture

Collaborative team members

Good management

Vale is in the process of making their own EPCM for Phase 2AB and 2z which created the scope for different contractor, vendor and companies. This a huge benefit to work with myriads of working personnel and professionals.
Excellent employer and fantastic benefits.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Long HarbourOctober 15, 2015
This a world class company that any high performance professional would love working for,
Getting a job here is very hard. It requires a lot of experience to be successfull in the job application.
Team is awesome.
Safety is a priority.
One of the best companies in the world.
Pros
High salary. Great benefits.
Cons
Far from the city.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Workterm Student (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NLFebruary 12, 2014
a typical day at work consists of going into the office and doing some computer work. Also, going out onto site and doing inspections of some of the buildings on site. It isn't intense work, but it keeps me busy. Th co-workers are great, and approachable.
avaerage company
(Millwright), Team Leader, Relief Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MBOctober 24, 2015
Average company to work for, no room for advancement. Company is always in cost cutting mode. Little time given to reflect upon successes. Company does offer a very attractive remuneration package.
Pros
wage and benefits
Cons
instability
Wonderful Workplace, Volatile Business
Chemical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga ONJuly 16, 2013
Vale Base Metals Technology Division in Mississauga WAS a fantastic place to work with wonderful people and a great atmosphere. Unfortunately, due to the ups and downs of the mining industry it is currently on a down.
Great place to work at
Electrical Engineer in Training (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MBJuly 27, 2015
Vale has been a great learning experience for me and i would recommend others that if they ever come across an opportunity from Vale, they should definitely give it a chance
Very safety concsious, lots of training, plenty of room for advancement
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MBAugust 20, 2014
Excellent benefits and pay, very safe environment and industry leading safety programs.
Pros
good wages and benefits, high safety standards
Cons
generally negative workforce, take much for granted and complain alot
Good place to work at.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MBJanuary 21, 2016
I worked with some great people and had some of the best leaders/mentors anyone could ask for. Hard work is rewarded with opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Benefits, Management
Great Work Enviroment Geared toward teaching
Project Planner (Current Employee) –  Long Harnour, NLAugust 10, 2015
Great place to work, great people and tremendous learning experiences.
Currently I am planning a multi-disciplinary process neutralization portion of the nickel processing facility.

4.4