Forklift operator (Former Employee) – Port Colborne,Ont – 18 February 2013
Was in research department so we were always doing different projects. Had the opputunity to learn new things. Worked with different chemicals. Mixed,weighed and labelled for shipping. Management was great and all friendly.Co-workers were all helpfull and friendly. The hardest part of the job was saying good-bye. We were all on contract and all got laid off at the same time as we had no more funding for projects for the 2013 year. Was the best job i ever had learning and given the chance with really no experience at all working in a chemical refinery.
Processing Plant Technician (Former Employee) – Long Harbour, NL – 20 June 2017
They oversell and under deliver. The extensive interview process will make you believe the job is much more desirable than what it actually is. They are very vague about what the PPT position entails and do not give you much information until you are actually thrown into your area.
Processing plant technician (Current Employee) – Long Harbour, NL – 17 February 2017
Good Job. Questionable management decisions. Makes claims that business decisions are transparent, however that is far from true. Claim that they nurture decisions to be made by techs, but disregard advice given by technicians actually working in the field.
- Begin day with daily planning meeting where we discuss work and any issues that may effect crews and/or work areas.
- In my work i learned to have an open mind and listen attentively to others ideas around work. in doing so we revised some safe work procedures making work more safe and efficient.
- Management communicated well together which is key to executing work safely and productively.
- Co-workers and peers turn to my extensive experience when they were unsure on assigning certain work to employees. i was a resource to all levels of management and employees. My door was always open to anyone who had a concern about their job.
- hardest part of the job for me was investigating serious incidents within the mines where people i knew for years were injured. i always found the root cause and put recommendations to upper management and government inspectors on reducing likelihood of reoccurrence. unfortunately in the mines some tasks would always remain high risk so safe work procedures would be implemented.
- the most enjoyable part of my day was knowing i made a difference in workers lives by improving safety in the workplace and changing the mining culture and beliefs where serious injuries were expected to happen in the mining process. i believe that with training we can change how individuals approach work. Eliminate lost time accidents and bring overall injury statistics down no matter the work environment.
Making a positive difference in mine safety, knowing employee's went home to their families unhurt.
long hours away from my family, changing vacation plans for the efficiency of the operation.
A great place to work and learn about Human Resources.
HR Intern (Placement) (Former Employee) – Copper Cliff, ON – 30 May 2016
As an HR Intern with Vale in Sudbury, ON I was given many opportunities to learn and apply various HR skills in a very large and complex work environment within the mining industry. The HR team is very experienced and were an excellent source of information and support throughout my placement. I was given a variety of projects to work on and was afforded a great deal of autonomy in dealing with the assignments. The projects ranged from straight-forward (consolidating key performance indicators into a useful Excel document) to more advanced (doing research in preparation for a mediation or arbitration hearing).
I consider the experience to have been invaluable in preparing me for a future career in human resources.
Advanced learning opportunities with a highly-skilled team.
Some may find the early mornings to be challenging though I did not.
Productive work site, well-organized and run appropriately
Mechanical Engineering Student (Former Employee) – Long Harbour, NL – 1 March 2016
Those who worked at Vale's Long Harbour site were friendly and easy to get along with. Management was very well organized and I believed it what the company was doing and believed it could get done in a timely manner.