Vale Employee Reviews in Canada

Exciting and helpful.
Plant Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 16, 2016
I enjoyed this job from its day to day duties all the way to its wages. We had an excellent benefit package and management looked after us.
Pros
Wages and benefits
Cons
lack of scheduling
Good place to work at.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MBJanuary 21, 2016
I worked with some great people and had some of the best leaders/mentors anyone could ask for. Hard work is rewarded with opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Benefits, Management
avaerage company
(Millwright), Team Leader, Relief Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MBOctober 24, 2015
Average company to work for, no room for advancement. Company is always in cost cutting mode. Little time given to reflect upon successes. Company does offer a very attractive remuneration package.
Pros
wage and benefits
Cons
instability
Excellent employer and fantastic benefits.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Long HarbourOctober 15, 2015
This a world class company that any high performance professional would love working for,
Getting a job here is very hard. It requires a lot of experience to be successfull in the job application.
Team is awesome.
Safety is a priority.
One of the best companies in the world.
Pros
High salary. Great benefits.
Cons
Far from the city.
A great place to work and learn about Human Resources.
HR Intern (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Copper Cliff, ONMay 30, 2016
As an HR Intern with Vale in Sudbury, ON I was given many opportunities to learn and apply various HR skills in a very large and complex work environment within the mining industry. The HR team is very experienced and were an excellent source of information and support throughout my placement. I was given a variety of projects to work on and was afforded a great deal of autonomy in dealing with the assignments. The projects ranged from straight-forward (consolidating key performance indicators into a useful Excel document) to more advanced (doing research in preparation for a mediation or arbitration hearing).

I consider the experience to have been invaluable in preparing me for a future career in human resources.
Pros
Advanced learning opportunities with a highly-skilled team.
Cons
Some may find the early mornings to be challenging though I did not.
Great place to work if you love challenges
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NLJanuary 12, 2016
A great learning place.

Outstanding safety culture

Collaborative team members

Good management

Vale is in the process of making their own EPCM for Phase 2AB and 2z which created the scope for different contractor, vendor and companies. This a huge benefit to work with myriads of working personnel and professionals.
Productive work site, well-organized and run appropriately
Mechanical Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NLMarch 1, 2016
Those who worked at Vale's Long Harbour site were friendly and easy to get along with. Management was very well organized and I believed it what the company was doing and believed it could get done in a timely manner.
a tremendous learning opportunity.
Smelter Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBFebruary 9, 2015
A typical day at work ran 12 hours, involved extreme labor requiring the ability to lift over 50 pounds, shoveling/ vaccuuming nickel dust and other minerals, and maintaining the production of nickel anodes weighing over 600 pounds each. i learned how to work in a heavy industry that has not been upgraded since the 1950's therefore requiring a lot of the processes to be done by hand. my coworkers were not the most helpful to adapt with but overall helped me understand how to work safely and diligently. the most enjoyable part of the job was watching myself lose 60 pounds and be in the best shape of my life, and strengthen the relationships i had with coworkers who i grew to highly respect.
Pros
hourly wage, holiday pay, benefits, premiums, training, heavy labor.
Cons
long days, physically exhausting, dangerous, toxic environment
Great People and great place to work.
Senior Contracts Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NLMay 17, 2016
Great People and great place to work. Would recommend to anyone in construction. .the drive can be a bit difficult in bad weather. each day has new challenges and is some what fast paced.
great company
Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  SudburyMay 31, 2016
Great all around company, values family/work balance, competitive salary, excellent benefits, environmentally conscious
Nice place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBApril 8, 2016
was good. enjoyed it and experience.
magagement was good
co-workers were good
hardest part was when work was on hold due to break downs.
Commitment to safe work practices
Safety Facilitator,Planner/Scheduler, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBJuly 20, 2016
- Begin day with daily planning meeting where we discuss work and any issues that may effect crews and/or work areas.

- In my work i learned to have an open mind and listen attentively to others ideas around work. in doing so we revised some safe work procedures making work more safe and efficient.

- Management communicated well together which is key to executing work safely and productively.

- Co-workers and peers turn to my extensive experience when they were unsure on assigning certain work to employees. i was a resource to all levels of management and employees. My door was always open to anyone who had a concern about their job.

- hardest part of the job for me was investigating serious incidents within the mines where people i knew for years were injured. i always found the root cause and put recommendations to upper management and government inspectors on reducing likelihood of reoccurrence. unfortunately in the mines some tasks would always remain high risk so safe work procedures would be implemented.

- the most enjoyable part of my day was knowing i made a difference in workers lives by improving safety in the workplace and changing the mining culture and beliefs where serious injuries were expected to happen in the mining process. i believe that with training we can change how individuals approach work. Eliminate lost time accidents and bring overall injury statistics down no matter the work environment.
Pros
Making a positive difference in mine safety, knowing employee's went home to their families unhurt.
Cons
long hours away from my family, changing vacation plans for the efficiency of the operation.
Challenging and Interesting Work Environment
Site Administration Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NewfoundlandSeptember 24, 2015
During my employment with Fluor Constructors I was required to travel long distances for employment. Working at the Vale project required travel to Newfoundland. I was on a 10 and 4 rotation which equated to be only home 6 days a month. This was challenging. My work at the Vale project was interesting and demanding in that the staff was upwards of 300 and had traveled from all over the world to work there.

Due to the length of the project the Project Director changed 3 times and that meant adapting to new management skills. This was acquired through diplomacy.

I enjoyed working in Newfoundland a truly endearing province and a beautiful place to work. The local staff were amazing,

I decided at the end of this project to leave the employment of Fluor in order to spend more time at home. I took a year off to regroup and am now actively looking for employment in the local area. The employment I am looking for may not necessarily be of the same responsibilities and caliber of work as was the case with Fluor and I realize will not be of the same pay rate.

My goal is to provide valuable, perfected, reliable assistance to my employer.
productive and a fun work place
Refinery / Filter Operator (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBMarch 21, 2015
great wages and benefits.
Great coworkers
always room for advancement
repetitive work, deadlines
amazing staff and leadership
Great Place to work
Manager Operational Readiness (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKNovember 10, 2015
Management is excellent. Great team selected to configure this plant. High Performance Management tactics put into operational plan. No issues working here
Resistant to Change, Little Concern for Employees
Change Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMarch 5, 2015
Although I worked for Vale, I was working on a project for the company separate from the office headquarters. We were heavily involved with the business and in my role specifically I was regularly interacting with upper management. The company pays extremely well, however they have little to no concern for their employees.

My colleagues on the project were outstanding, however most of them were from the actual mining facilities being brought to Toronto to work on the project.

The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out where you could add value with a highly decentralized management structure and nonexistent business processes. On the other hand, this also made the work environment more enjoyable as you had more or less free range on implementing any ideas you had with very little push back.
Pros
location, pay, colleagues, work environment, social environment
Cons
Very safety concsious, lots of training, plenty of room for advancement
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MBAugust 20, 2014
Excellent benefits and pay, very safe environment and industry leading safety programs.
Pros
good wages and benefits, high safety standards
Cons
generally negative workforce, take much for granted and complain alot
Good Apprentice Pay
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN APPRENTICE (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 20, 2013
Good Apprentice Pay, Good Benefits, Good Co-workers, Industrial Environment, Dirty, Hazardous Locations, Good Mix of Work Assignments, Physically Demanding
great place to work
Project Technologist (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NLAugust 5, 2015
great spot to work just a far drive from the city

management is lacking

distance and quality of life is lacking

great experience on site
Great Work Enviroment Geared toward teaching
Project Planner (Current Employee) –  Long Harnour, NLAugust 10, 2015
Great place to work, great people and tremendous learning experiences.
Currently I am planning a multi-disciplinary process neutralization portion of the nickel processing facility.

4.4