Vale Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to work if you love challenges
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Long Harbour, NLJanuary 12, 2016
A great learning place.

Outstanding safety culture

Collaborative team members

Good management

Vale is in the process of making their own EPCM for Phase 2AB and 2z which created the scope for different contractor, vendor and companies. This a huge benefit to work with myriads of working personnel and professionals.
Productive work site, well-organized and run appropriately
Mechanical Engineering Student (Former Employee), Long Harbour, NLMarch 1, 2016
Those who worked at Vale's Long Harbour site were friendly and easy to get along with. Management was very well organized and I believed it what the company was doing and believed it could get done in a timely manner.
Excellent employer and fantastic benefits.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee), Long HarbourOctober 15, 2015
Pros: High salary. Great benefits.
Cons: Far from the city.
This a world class company that any high performance professional would love working for,
Getting a job here is very hard. It requires a lot of experience to be successfull in the job application.
Team is awesome.
Safety is a priority.
One of the best companies in the world.
Exciting and helpful.
Plant Protection Officer (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 16, 2016
Pros: Wages and benefits
Cons: lack of scheduling
I enjoyed this job from its day to day duties all the way to its wages. We had an excellent benefit package and management looked after us.
Good place to work at.
Supervisor (Current Employee), Thompson, MBJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: Benefits, Management
Cons: Location
I worked with some great people and had some of the best leaders/mentors anyone could ask for. Hard work is rewarded with opportunities for advancement.
avaerage company
(Millwright), Team Leader, Relief Scheduler (Current Employee), Thompson, MBOctober 24, 2015
Pros: wage and benefits
Cons: instability
Average company to work for, no room for advancement. Company is always in cost cutting mode. Little time given to reflect upon successes. Company does offer a very attractive remuneration package.
Nice place
Labourer (Former Employee), Thompson, MBApril 8, 2016
was good. enjoyed it and experience.
magagement was good
co-workers were good
hardest part was when work was on hold due to break downs.
Great Place to work
Manager Operational Readiness (Current Employee), Regina, SKNovember 10, 2015
Management is excellent. Great team selected to configure this plant. High Performance Management tactics put into operational plan. No issues working here
Great Work Enviroment Geared toward teaching
Project Planner (Current Employee), Long Harnour, NLAugust 10, 2015
Great place to work, great people and tremendous learning experiences.
Currently I am planning a multi-disciplinary process neutralization portion of the nickel processing facility.
Great place to work at
Electrical Engineer in Training (Current Employee), Thompson, MBJuly 27, 2015
Vale has been a great learning experience for me and i would recommend others that if they ever come across an opportunity from Vale, they should definitely give it a chance
Challenging and Interesting Work Environment
Site Administration Manager (Former Employee), Long Harbour, NewfoundlandSeptember 24, 2015
During my employment with Fluor Constructors I was required to travel long distances for employment. Working at the Vale project required travel to Newfoundland. I was on a 10 and 4 rotation which equated to be only home 6 days a month. This was challenging. My work at the Vale project was interesting and demanding in that the staff was upwards of 300 and had traveled from all over the world to work there.

Due to the length of the project the Project Director changed 3 times and that meant adapting to new management skills. This was acquired through diplomacy.

I enjoyed working in Newfoundland a truly endearing province and a beautiful place to work. The local staff were amazing,

I decided at the end of this project to leave the employment of Fluor in order to spend more time at home. I took a year off to regroup and am now actively looking for employment in the local area. The employment I am looking for may not necessarily be of the same responsibilities and caliber of work as was the case with Fluor and I realize will not be of the same pay rate.

My goal is to provide valuable, perfected, reliable assistance to my employer.
great place to work
Project Technologist (Current Employee), Long Harbour, NLAugust 5, 2015
great spot to work just a far drive from the city

management is lacking

distance and quality of life is lacking

great experience on site
a tremendous learning opportunity.
Smelter Process Operator (Former Employee), Thompson, MBFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: hourly wage, holiday pay, benefits, premiums, training, heavy labor.
Cons: long days, physically exhausting, dangerous, toxic environment
A typical day at work ran 12 hours, involved extreme labor requiring the ability to lift over 50 pounds, shoveling/ vaccuuming nickel dust and other minerals, and maintaining the production of nickel anodes weighing over 600 pounds each. i learned how to work in a heavy industry that has not been upgraded since the 1950's therefore requiring a lot of the processes to be done by hand. my coworkers were not the most helpful to adapt with but overall helped me understand how to work safely and diligently. the most enjoyable part of the job was watching myself lose 60 pounds and be in the best shape of my life, and strengthen the relationships i had with coworkers who i grew to highly respect.
Resistant to Change, Little Concern for Employees
Change Management (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioMarch 5, 2015
Pros: location, pay, colleagues, work environment, social environment
Cons: long hours
Although I worked for Vale, I was working on a project for the company separate from the office headquarters. We were heavily involved with the business and in my role specifically I was regularly interacting with upper management. The company pays extremely well, however they have little to no concern for their employees.

My colleagues on the project were outstanding, however most of them were from the actual mining facilities being brought to Toronto to work on the project.

The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out where you could add value with a highly decentralized management structure and nonexistent business processes. On the other hand, this also made the work environment more enjoyable as you had more or less free range on implementing any ideas you had with very little push back.
very good hours of work
Central Control Room Operator / Spare Supervisor (Former Employee), LabradorDecember 15, 2014
12 hour shifts I learned to train personell in various positions management was good very helpful when needed co workers were natives which I got along with very good I trained all of them in mineral processing hardest part of the job was leaving home for 2 weeks but I have been doing that for 16 years never gets easier but I lov love to work most enjoyable was getting to know the ore and what to do to get better recoveries
Positive and fun place to work, with numerous learning oportunites.
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN APPRENTICE (Co-op Student) (Former Employee), Copper Cliff, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: a lot of available overtime.
Cons: was not permanent.
Typical day at work begins with the morning line up. All co-workers meet up in lunch room as the supervisor joins us to discuss safety awareness, then the supervisor will assign each team member a set of duties for the day. Co-workers are divided up dependent on the task. Co-workers are divided differently each day to ensure that everyone in the group works cooperatively with each other. After tasks have been completed, team members aide other groups to ensure all duties are completed. Nearing the end of the day, team members clean up shop ensure clean working environment. At the end of the day a final meeting with supervisor where everyone discusses how the day went, and share an act of safety they performed that day with the group. Overall a great working experience!
A one year Contract
Mine Labourer (Former Employee), Levack, ONOctober 16, 2014
Pros: learned safe working practices
Cons: contract
I worked underground at the 3070 level of the mine, in the mobile department. I assembled and organized the new parts department, and made barcodes for each part and inputted them into the database. This new system helped Vale know exactly how many parts were in inventory, and ensured there was no overstock and understock and when an order would have to be made. The number one objective was to reduce the down time between jobs. I worked Monday to Thursday ten and half hours a day. The best part about my job at Vale was the attention to safety, working safe is the upmost important aspect to any job that will ensure you come home to your family after each shift.
productive and a fun work place
Refinery / Filter Operator (Former Employee), Thompson, MBMarch 21, 2015
great wages and benefits.
Great coworkers
always room for advancement
repetitive work, deadlines
amazing staff and leadership
Great people to work with
Forklift operator (Former Employee), Port Colborne,OntFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: had great co-workers
Cons: being on contract
Was in research department so we were always doing different projects. Had the opputunity to learn new things. Worked with different chemicals. Mixed,weighed and labelled for shipping. Management was great and all friendly.Co-workers were all helpfull and friendly. The hardest part of the job was saying good-bye. We were all on contract and all got laid off at the same time as we had no more funding for projects for the 2013 year. Was the best job i ever had learning and given the chance with really no experience at all working in a chemical refinery.
If You Like The Far North this is it
millwright (Former Employee), Thompson, MBApril 4, 2012
Pros: fishing
Cons: far away from the world
Had My best Millwrighting Job there working in the Pump Shop. Rebuilding and installing pumps in the Refinery. Was there 9 mons. and wish I could have stayed, but had to return to Ontario at the time. Guys were great to work with but management had some issues that they should work on. I focused on my job stayed out of that but it was sometimes a pain.