Vale Employee Reviews

good skills devlopment
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON1 December 2016
fair wage with a chance at bonus. Poor benefits for the size of company average management. average safety system unionized positions a little safer. upper management is really hard on supervision
Pros
bonus
Cons
schedule
contract position
Area Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL27 November 2016
I was a contractor through a hiring agency to Vale, this experience was good where I was given a great salary for my work and responsibility for my 2 years working.
Productive/Demanding
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON8 November 2016
Very productive workplace for the underground status. In extreme work areas the environment is difficult to be as productive as on surface but still a physically demanding and productive job.
Commitment to safe work practices
Safety Facilitator,Planner/Scheduler, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB20 July 2016
- Begin day with daily planning meeting where we discuss work and any issues that may effect crews and/or work areas.

- In my work i learned to have an open mind and listen attentively to others ideas around work. in doing so we revised some safe work procedures making work more safe and efficient.

- Management communicated well together which is key to executing work safely and productively.

- Co-workers and peers turn to my extensive experience when they were unsure on assigning certain work to employees. i was a resource to all levels of management and employees. My door was always open to anyone who had a concern about their job.

- hardest part of the job for me was investigating serious incidents within the mines where people i knew for years were injured. i always found the root cause and put recommendations to upper management and government inspectors on reducing likelihood of reoccurrence. unfortunately in the mines some tasks would always remain high risk so safe work procedures would be implemented.

- the most enjoyable part of my day was knowing i made a difference in workers lives by improving safety in the workplace and changing the mining culture and beliefs where serious injuries were expected to happen in the mining process. i believe that with training we can change how individuals approach work. Eliminate lost time accidents and bring overall injury statistics down no matter the work environment.
Pros
Making a positive difference in mine safety, knowing employee's went home to their families unhurt.
Cons
long hours away from my family, changing vacation plans for the efficiency of the operation.
great company
Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  Sudbury31 May 2016
Great all around company, values family/work balance, competitive salary, excellent benefits, environmentally conscious
A great place to work and learn about Human Resources.
HR Intern (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Copper Cliff, ON30 May 2016
As an HR Intern with Vale in Sudbury, ON I was given many opportunities to learn and apply various HR skills in a very large and complex work environment within the mining industry. The HR team is very experienced and were an excellent source of information and support throughout my placement. I was given a variety of projects to work on and was afforded a great deal of autonomy in dealing with the assignments. The projects ranged from straight-forward (consolidating key performance indicators into a useful Excel document) to more advanced (doing research in preparation for a mediation or arbitration hearing).

I consider the experience to have been invaluable in preparing me for a future career in human resources.
Pros
Advanced learning opportunities with a highly-skilled team.
Cons
Some may find the early mornings to be challenging though I did not.
Great People and great place to work.
Senior Contracts Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL17 May 2016
Great People and great place to work. Would recommend to anyone in construction. .the drive can be a bit difficult in bad weather. each day has new challenges and is some what fast paced.
Nice place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB8 April 2016
was good. enjoyed it and experience.
magagement was good
co-workers were good
hardest part was when work was on hold due to break downs.
Productive work site, well-organized and run appropriately
Mechanical Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL1 March 2016
Those who worked at Vale's Long Harbour site were friendly and easy to get along with. Management was very well organized and I believed it what the company was doing and believed it could get done in a timely manner.
Exciting and helpful.
Plant Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON16 February 2016
I enjoyed this job from its day to day duties all the way to its wages. We had an excellent benefit package and management looked after us.
Pros
Wages and benefits
Cons
lack of scheduling
Good place to work at.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MB21 January 2016
I worked with some great people and had some of the best leaders/mentors anyone could ask for. Hard work is rewarded with opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Benefits, Management
Cons
Great place to work if you love challenges
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL12 January 2016
A great learning place.

Outstanding safety culture

Collaborative team members

Good management

Vale is in the process of making their own EPCM for Phase 2AB and 2z which created the scope for different contractor, vendor and companies. This a huge benefit to work with myriads of working personnel and professionals.
Great Place to work
Manager Operational Readiness (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK10 November 2015
Management is excellent. Great team selected to configure this plant. High Performance Management tactics put into operational plan. No issues working here
avaerage company
(Millwright), Team Leader, Relief Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MB24 October 2015
Average company to work for, no room for advancement. Company is always in cost cutting mode. Little time given to reflect upon successes. Company does offer a very attractive remuneration package.
Pros
wage and benefits
Cons
instability
Excellent employer and fantastic benefits.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour15 October 2015
This a world class company that any high performance professional would love working for,
Getting a job here is very hard. It requires a lot of experience to be successfull in the job application.
Team is awesome.
Safety is a priority.
One of the best companies in the world.
Pros
High salary. Great benefits.
Cons
Far from the city.
Challenging and Interesting Work Environment
Site Administration Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, Newfoundland24 September 2015
During my employment with Fluor Constructors I was required to travel long distances for employment. Working at the Vale project required travel to Newfoundland. I was on a 10 and 4 rotation which equated to be only home 6 days a month. This was challenging. My work at the Vale project was interesting and demanding in that the staff was upwards of 300 and had traveled from all over the world to work there.

Due to the length of the project the Project Director changed 3 times and that meant adapting to new management skills. This was acquired through diplomacy.

I enjoyed working in Newfoundland a truly endearing province and a beautiful place to work. The local staff were amazing,

I decided at the end of this project to leave the employment of Fluor in order to spend more time at home. I took a year off to regroup and am now actively looking for employment in the local area. The employment I am looking for may not necessarily be of the same responsibilities and caliber of work as was the case with Fluor and I realize will not be of the same pay rate.

My goal is to provide valuable, perfected, reliable assistance to my employer.
Great Work Enviroment Geared toward teaching
Project Planner (Current Employee) –  Long Harnour, NL10 August 2015
Great place to work, great people and tremendous learning experiences.
Currently I am planning a multi-disciplinary process neutralization portion of the nickel processing facility.
great place to work
Project Technologist (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL5 August 2015
great spot to work just a far drive from the city

management is lacking

distance and quality of life is lacking

great experience on site
Great place to work at
Electrical Engineer in Training (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MB27 July 2015
Vale has been a great learning experience for me and i would recommend others that if they ever come across an opportunity from Vale, they should definitely give it a chance
productive and a fun work place
Refinery / Filter Operator (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB21 March 2015
great wages and benefits.
Great coworkers