Vale

Vale Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive and a fun work place
Refinery / Filter Operator (Former Employee), Thompson, MBMarch 21, 2015
great wages and benefits.
Great coworkers
always room for advancement
repetitive work, deadlines
amazing staff and leadership
Resistant to Change, Little Concern for Employees
Change Management (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioMarch 5, 2015
Pros: location, pay, colleagues, work environment, social environment
Cons: long hours
Although I worked for Vale, I was working on a project for the company separate from the office headquarters. We were heavily involved with the business and in my role specifically I was regularly interacting with upper management. The company pays extremely well, however they have little to no concern for their employees.

My colleagues on the project were outstanding, however most of them were from the actual mining facilities being brought to Toronto to work on the project.

The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out where you could add value with a highly decentralized management structure and nonexistent business processes. On the other hand, this also made the work environment more enjoyable as you had more or less free range on implementing any ideas you had with very little push back.
a tremendous learning opportunity.
Smelter Process Operator (Former Employee), Thompson, MBFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: hourly wage, holiday pay, benefits, premiums, training, heavy labor.
Cons: long days, physically exhausting, dangerous, toxic environment
A typical day at work ran 12 hours, involved extreme labor requiring the ability to lift over 50 pounds, shoveling/ vaccuuming nickel dust and other minerals, and maintaining the production of nickel anodes weighing over 600 pounds each. i learned how to work in a heavy industry that has not been upgraded since the 1950's therefore requiring a lot of the processes to be done by hand. my coworkers were not the most helpful to adapt with but overall helped me understand how to work safely and diligently. the most enjoyable part of the job was watching myself lose 60 pounds and be in the best shape of my life, and strengthen the relationships i had with coworkers who i grew to highly respect.
Instructional Designer & Training Facilitator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2015
Enjoyed very much working at Vale. I had the the chance to work with very skilled people and very smart management.
Positive and fun place to work, with numerous learning oportunites.
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN APPRENTICE (Co-op Student) (Former Employee), Copper Cliff, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: a lot of available overtime.
Cons: was not permanent.
Typical day at work begins with the morning line up. All co-workers meet up in lunch room as the supervisor joins us to discuss safety awareness, then the supervisor will assign each team member a set of duties for the day. Co-workers are divided up dependent on the task. Co-workers are divided differently each day to ensure that everyone in the group works cooperatively with each other. After tasks have been completed, team members aide other groups to ensure all duties are completed. Nearing the end of the day, team members clean up shop ensure clean working environment. At the end of the day a final meeting with supervisor where everyone discusses how the day went, and share an act of safety they performed that day with the group. Overall a great working experience!
very good hours of work
Central Control Room Operator / Spare Supervisor (Former Employee), LabradorDecember 15, 2014
12 hour shifts I learned to train personell in various positions management was good very helpful when needed co workers were natives which I got along with very good I trained all of them in mineral processing hardest part of the job was leaving home for 2 weeks but I have been doing that for 16 years never gets easier but I lov love to work most enjoyable was getting to know the ore and what to do to get better recoveries
Large mining company
Engineer (Former Employee), Thompson, MBNovember 14, 2014
Vale is a large mining company with assets within Canada in the canadian-shield. These assets are in mining towns which is what anyone should expect.
Fine fine fine fine fine
Administrator & Document Control (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONNovember 8, 2014
Fine fine fine fine fineFine fine fine fine fine
A one year Contract
Mine Labourer (Former Employee), Levack, ONOctober 16, 2014
Pros: learned safe working practices
Cons: contract
I worked underground at the 3070 level of the mine, in the mobile department. I assembled and organized the new parts department, and made barcodes for each part and inputted them into the database. This new system helped Vale know exactly how many parts were in inventory, and ensured there was no overstock and understock and when an order would have to be made. The number one objective was to reduce the down time between jobs. I worked Monday to Thursday ten and half hours a day. The best part about my job at Vale was the attention to safety, working safe is the upmost important aspect to any job that will ensure you come home to your family after each shift.
Very safety concsious, lots of training, plenty of room for advancement
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee), Thompson, MBAugust 20, 2014
Pros: good wages and benefits, high safety standards
Cons: generally negative workforce, take much for granted and complain alot
Excellent benefits and pay, very safe environment and industry leading safety programs.
was my first electrical company
Co-op Electrical Apprentice - Vale (Former Employee), Copper Cliff, ONApril 17, 2014
Pros: great start for career
Cons: no work
worked with very informed electricians taught a lot about safety
Productive and Fun Workplace
Workterm Student (Current Employee), Long Harbour, NLFebruary 12, 2014
a typical day at work consists of going into the office and doing some computer work. Also, going out onto site and doing inspections of some of the buildings on site. It isn't intense work, but it keeps me busy. Th co-workers are great, and approachable.
the employies were great to work with
retired miner (Former Employee), Copper Cliff, ONJanuary 17, 2014
meet with crew at start of shift and discuss the days work. go over safety for previous day and present days work. See what other work was being done in other parts of the mine. The hardest part of the job was when equipment was broken and you had to wait for it to be repaired and the most enjoyable part was that you did the job safely and efficiently
Fast paced, Receptive to Change
Operations Technician - Commissioning Team (Current Employee), Long Harbour, NLAugust 12, 2013
Pros: potentially equal time on and off when plant is operational
Cons: poor salary structure
Plant is in the comissioning stage, therefore going through though changes with scope of work, which is dependant on construction completion.

A typical day will inclue reviewing and updating procedures, walking flow paths and reading and modifying P&ID's

Managment is dealing with changing deadlines pertaining to construction completion.

Good Crew Selected for the first hire of techs, based on attitude and apptitude test.

The potential for advancment and salary increase is the most discouraging with this company, and not being fully utilized to my potential.

The most enjoyable part is learning what it takes to commission a plant and the attention to detail that it requires.
Wonderful Workplace, Volatile Business
Chemical Analyst (Former Employee), Mississauga ONJuly 16, 2013
Vale Base Metals Technology Division in Mississauga WAS a fantastic place to work with wonderful people and a great atmosphere. Unfortunately, due to the ups and downs of the mining industry it is currently on a down.
Good Apprentice Pay
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN APPRENTICE (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 20, 2013
Good Apprentice Pay, Good Benefits, Good Co-workers, Industrial Environment, Dirty, Hazardous Locations, Good Mix of Work Assignments, Physically Demanding
Great people to work with
Forklift operator (Former Employee), Port Colborne,OntFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: had great co-workers
Cons: being on contract
Was in research department so we were always doing different projects. Had the opputunity to learn new things. Worked with different chemicals. Mixed,weighed and labelled for shipping. Management was great and all friendly.Co-workers were all helpfull and friendly. The hardest part of the job was saying good-bye. We were all on contract and all got laid off at the same time as we had no more funding for projects for the 2013 year. Was the best job i ever had learning and given the chance with really no experience at all working in a chemical refinery.
Very good to work for 30 years
Underground Miner (Former Employee), Thompson, MBFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: excellent co-workers
Cons: long hours
Excellent to work for
Good co-workers
Learned lots
Good Safety rules
This was a good company to work for and treated me well and I gave them my best in return
firstline supervisor (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONOctober 30, 2012
Pros: excellent people to work with
Cons: i had no dislikes to my job. when the days got long and hectic it brought out the best in me
As a supervisor I was responsible to ensure taht all people were gainfully employed and that they were giving all imformation relevent to thger daily tasks that would allow them to safely perform their job. I was responsible to do daily audits to ensure that each person was working to standard and not putting his/hers or others safety at risk.Being a supervisor for so long has given me an excellent level of people and communication skills. I get along well with all levels of people and enjoy working hands on with them. This is probably why I remained a firstline supervisor for so long. I have an excellent ability to assess situations and react accordingly. The hardest part of my job was issuing discipline.When I had to I tried to always make it constructive and educational.
bad managment
Apprenticeship Electrical co-op (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONSeptember 10, 2012
no organization for new employies, nothings organized

the co-workers were great

About Vale

Vale S.A. is a Brazilian diversified mining multinational corporation and one of the largest logistics operators in Brazil.In – Read more