Vale Employee Reviews

I work 10 hour shifts and only one weekend a month.
INDUSTRIAL MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MB11 July 2017
The company has gone through a number of changes in the past few years, especially since nickel prices are down. The mine I am currently working at is being closed down.
Not what you expect.
Processing Plant Technician (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL20 June 2017
They oversell and under deliver. The extensive interview process will make you believe the job is much more desirable than what it actually is. They are very vague about what the PPT position entails and do not give you much information until you are actually thrown into your area.
Long days
Maintenance Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL16 June 2017
Learned all about job packages and how the mining industry works in todays world

Team was helpful and great to work for. Long days and driving was the only negative
Pros
Long commute
Cons
pay
Great Workplace
ELEVATOR OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON13 June 2017
Enjoyed working at Vale; salary was good, encouraged a safe work environment and I preferred working the shift work as opposed to an Monday to Friday, 8-5 job.
Great Company, pleasure to work for
Pipefitter/Fibrebonder (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL6 June 2017
Working for Vale in Long Harbour at the Nickel Processing Plant as a pipefitter and fiberglass bonder. Was a great experience. Very approachable company, with a open door policy.
Pros
contests to win on a bi monthly basis
Cons
Cold in the Winter
Willing to results
Sales and Distribution Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2017
Good place to understand the mining business and excellent environment to get in line with the latest system management created to operate the complex transportation operations
Ok
Processing Plant Technician (Responsible Care) (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL30 May 2017
Management was not trained enough and the working conditions were often unfit. The work culture was not friendly and everyone working for this company was miserable
Great place to work. People were fantastic.
SHE Administrator (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL8 May 2017
Typical work day was 8-10 hours. Assisted the Health & Safety dept with various assignments. Friendly atmosphere and Supervisor was great to work for & with.
Pros
Flexible & friendly environment.
Cons
Job was sometimes repetitive, therefore monotonous.
Great company to work for
Piping Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL4 May 2017
I enjoyed my time with Vale. Great package and great people and working environment. A real team atmosphere where everyday we were met with new challenges but overcame as a team.
Process Plant Technician (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL29 March 2017
The overall experience of working at Vale is that you feel like you belong to a culture that cares about its employees. The whole SAFE Production model is very positive.
Good company
Operations/ Construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON10 March 2017
Good company to work for. Areas have long term work others short period because of market conditions. Communications issues cause most of the problems within the company.
Good Job. Questionable management
Processing plant technician (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL17 February 2017
Good Job. Questionable management decisions. Makes claims that business decisions are transparent, however that is far from true. Claim that they nurture decisions to be made by techs, but disregard advice given by technicians actually working in the field.
good skills devlopment
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON1 December 2016
fair wage with a chance at bonus. Poor benefits for the size of company average management. average safety system unionized positions a little safer. upper management is really hard on supervision
Pros
bonus
Cons
schedule
contract position
Area Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL27 November 2016
I was a contractor through a hiring agency to Vale, this experience was good where I was given a great salary for my work and responsibility for my 2 years working.
Productive/Demanding
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON8 November 2016
Very productive workplace for the underground status. In extreme work areas the environment is difficult to be as productive as on surface but still a physically demanding and productive job.
Commitment to safe work practices
Safety Facilitator,Planner/Scheduler, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB20 July 2016
- Begin day with daily planning meeting where we discuss work and any issues that may effect crews and/or work areas.

- In my work i learned to have an open mind and listen attentively to others ideas around work. in doing so we revised some safe work procedures making work more safe and efficient.

- Management communicated well together which is key to executing work safely and productively.

- Co-workers and peers turn to my extensive experience when they were unsure on assigning certain work to employees. i was a resource to all levels of management and employees. My door was always open to anyone who had a concern about their job.

- hardest part of the job for me was investigating serious incidents within the mines where people i knew for years were injured. i always found the root cause and put recommendations to upper management and government inspectors on reducing likelihood of reoccurrence. unfortunately in the mines some tasks would always remain high risk so safe work procedures would be implemented.

- the most enjoyable part of my day was knowing i made a difference in workers lives by improving safety in the workplace and changing the mining culture and beliefs where serious injuries were expected to happen in the mining process. i believe that with training we can change how individuals approach work. Eliminate lost time accidents and bring overall injury statistics down no matter the work environment.
Pros
Making a positive difference in mine safety, knowing employee's went home to their families unhurt.
Cons
long hours away from my family, changing vacation plans for the efficiency of the operation.
great company
Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  Sudbury31 May 2016
Great all around company, values family/work balance, competitive salary, excellent benefits, environmentally conscious
A great place to work and learn about Human Resources.
HR Intern (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Copper Cliff, ON30 May 2016
As an HR Intern with Vale in Sudbury, ON I was given many opportunities to learn and apply various HR skills in a very large and complex work environment within the mining industry. The HR team is very experienced and were an excellent source of information and support throughout my placement. I was given a variety of projects to work on and was afforded a great deal of autonomy in dealing with the assignments. The projects ranged from straight-forward (consolidating key performance indicators into a useful Excel document) to more advanced (doing research in preparation for a mediation or arbitration hearing).

I consider the experience to have been invaluable in preparing me for a future career in human resources.
Pros
Advanced learning opportunities with a highly-skilled team.
Cons
Some may find the early mornings to be challenging though I did not.
Great People and great place to work.
Senior Contracts Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL17 May 2016
Great People and great place to work. Would recommend to anyone in construction. .the drive can be a bit difficult in bad weather. each day has new challenges and is some what fast paced.
Nice place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB8 April 2016
was good. enjoyed it and experience.
magagement was good
co-workers were good
hardest part was when work was on hold due to break downs.