Vale Employee Reviews

good skills devlopment
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON1 December 2016
fair wage with a chance at bonus. Poor benefits for the size of company average management. average safety system unionized positions a little safer. upper management is really hard on supervision
Pros
bonus
Cons
schedule
Productive/Demanding
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON8 November 2016
Very productive workplace for the underground status. In extreme work areas the environment is difficult to be as productive as on surface but still a physically demanding and productive job.
A great place to work and learn about Human Resources.
HR Intern (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Copper Cliff, ON30 May 2016
As an HR Intern with Vale in Sudbury, ON I was given many opportunities to learn and apply various HR skills in a very large and complex work environment within the mining industry. The HR team is very experienced and were an excellent source of information and support throughout my placement. I was given a variety of projects to work on and was afforded a great deal of autonomy in dealing with the assignments. The projects ranged from straight-forward (consolidating key performance indicators into a useful Excel document) to more advanced (doing research in preparation for a mediation or arbitration hearing).

I consider the experience to have been invaluable in preparing me for a future career in human resources.
Pros
Advanced learning opportunities with a highly-skilled team.
Cons
Some may find the early mornings to be challenging though I did not.
contract position
Area Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL27 November 2016
I was a contractor through a hiring agency to Vale, this experience was good where I was given a great salary for my work and responsibility for my 2 years working.
Great People and great place to work.
Senior Contracts Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL17 May 2016
Great People and great place to work. Would recommend to anyone in construction. .the drive can be a bit difficult in bad weather. each day has new challenges and is some what fast paced.
Productive work site, well-organized and run appropriately
Mechanical Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL1 March 2016
Those who worked at Vale's Long Harbour site were friendly and easy to get along with. Management was very well organized and I believed it what the company was doing and believed it could get done in a timely manner.
great company
Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  Sudbury31 May 2016
Great all around company, values family/work balance, competitive salary, excellent benefits, environmentally conscious
Great place to work if you love challenges
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL12 January 2016
A great learning place.

Outstanding safety culture

Collaborative team members

Good management

Vale is in the process of making their own EPCM for Phase 2AB and 2z which created the scope for different contractor, vendor and companies. This a huge benefit to work with myriads of working personnel and professionals.
Nice place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB8 April 2016
was good. enjoyed it and experience.
magagement was good
co-workers were good
hardest part was when work was on hold due to break downs.
Exciting and helpful.
Plant Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON16 February 2016
I enjoyed this job from its day to day duties all the way to its wages. We had an excellent benefit package and management looked after us.
Pros
Wages and benefits
Cons
lack of scheduling
Good place to work at.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MB21 January 2016
I worked with some great people and had some of the best leaders/mentors anyone could ask for. Hard work is rewarded with opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Benefits, Management
Cons
Excellent employer and fantastic benefits.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour15 October 2015
This a world class company that any high performance professional would love working for,
Getting a job here is very hard. It requires a lot of experience to be successfull in the job application.
Team is awesome.
Safety is a priority.
One of the best companies in the world.
Pros
High salary. Great benefits.
Cons
Far from the city.
avaerage company
(Millwright), Team Leader, Relief Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MB24 October 2015
Average company to work for, no room for advancement. Company is always in cost cutting mode. Little time given to reflect upon successes. Company does offer a very attractive remuneration package.
Pros
wage and benefits
Cons
instability
Great Place to work
Manager Operational Readiness (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK10 November 2015
Management is excellent. Great team selected to configure this plant. High Performance Management tactics put into operational plan. No issues working here
Commitment to safe work practices
Safety Facilitator,Planner/Scheduler, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB20 July 2016
- Begin day with daily planning meeting where we discuss work and any issues that may effect crews and/or work areas.

- In my work i learned to have an open mind and listen attentively to others ideas around work. in doing so we revised some safe work procedures making work more safe and efficient.

- Management communicated well together which is key to executing work safely and productively.

- Co-workers and peers turn to my extensive experience when they were unsure on assigning certain work to employees. i was a resource to all levels of management and employees. My door was always open to anyone who had a concern about their job.

- hardest part of the job for me was investigating serious incidents within the mines where people i knew for years were injured. i always found the root cause and put recommendations to upper management and government inspectors on reducing likelihood of reoccurrence. unfortunately in the mines some tasks would always remain high risk so safe work procedures would be implemented.

- the most enjoyable part of my day was knowing i made a difference in workers lives by improving safety in the workplace and changing the mining culture and beliefs where serious injuries were expected to happen in the mining process. i believe that with training we can change how individuals approach work. Eliminate lost time accidents and bring overall injury statistics down no matter the work environment.
Pros
Making a positive difference in mine safety, knowing employee's went home to their families unhurt.
Cons
long hours away from my family, changing vacation plans for the efficiency of the operation.
Great Work Enviroment Geared toward teaching
Project Planner (Current Employee) –  Long Harnour, NL10 August 2015
Great place to work, great people and tremendous learning experiences.
Currently I am planning a multi-disciplinary process neutralization portion of the nickel processing facility.
very good hours of work
Central Control Room Operator / Spare Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Labrador15 December 2014
12 hour shifts I learned to train personell in various positions management was good very helpful when needed co workers were natives which I got along with very good I trained all of them in mineral processing hardest part of the job was leaving home for 2 weeks but I have been doing that for 16 years never gets easier but I lov love to work most enjoyable was getting to know the ore and what to do to get better recoveries
A one year Contract
Mine Labourer (Former Employee) –  Levack, ON16 October 2014
I worked underground at the 3070 level of the mine, in the mobile department. I assembled and organized the new parts department, and made barcodes for each part and inputted them into the database. This new system helped Vale know exactly how many parts were in inventory, and ensured there was no overstock and understock and when an order would have to be made. The number one objective was to reduce the down time between jobs. I worked Monday to Thursday ten and half hours a day. The best part about my job at Vale was the attention to safety, working safe is the upmost important aspect to any job that will ensure you come home to your family after each shift.
Pros
Learned safe working practices
Cons
Contract
a tremendous learning opportunity.
Smelter Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB9 February 2015
A typical day at work ran 12 hours, involved extreme labor requiring the ability to lift over 50 pounds, shoveling/ vaccuuming nickel dust and other minerals, and maintaining the production of nickel anodes weighing over 600 pounds each. i learned how to work in a heavy industry that has not been upgraded since the 1950's therefore requiring a lot of the processes to be done by hand. my coworkers were not the most helpful to adapt with but overall helped me understand how to work safely and diligently. the most enjoyable part of the job was watching myself lose 60 pounds and be in the best shape of my life, and strengthen the relationships i had with coworkers who i grew to highly respect.
Pros
hourly wage, holiday pay, benefits, premiums, training, heavy labor.
Cons
long days, physically exhausting, dangerous, toxic environment
Great people to work with
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Port Colborne,Ont18 February 2013
Was in research department so we were always doing different projects. Had the opputunity to learn new things. Worked with different chemicals. Mixed,weighed and labelled for shipping. Management was great and all friendly.Co-workers were all helpfull and friendly. The hardest part of the job was saying good-bye. We were all on contract and all got laid off at the same time as we had no more funding for projects for the 2013 year. Was the best job i ever had learning and given the chance with really no experience at all working in a chemical refinery.
Pros
had great co-workers
Cons
being on contract

4.4