Vale Employee Reviews in Canada

great company
Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  SudburyMay 31, 2016
Great all around company, values family/work balance, competitive salary, excellent benefits, environmentally conscious
A great place to work and learn about Human Resources.
HR Intern (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Copper Cliff, ONMay 30, 2016
As an HR Intern with Vale in Sudbury, ON I was given many opportunities to learn and apply various HR skills in a very large and complex work environment within the mining industry. The HR team is very experienced and were an excellent source of information and support throughout my placement. I was given a variety of projects to work on and was afforded a great deal of autonomy in dealing with the assignments. The projects ranged from straight-forward (consolidating key performance indicators into a useful Excel document) to more advanced (doing research in preparation for a mediation or arbitration hearing).

I consider the experience to have been invaluable in preparing me for a future career in human resources.
Pros
Advanced learning opportunities with a highly-skilled team.
Cons
Some may find the early mornings to be challenging though I did not.
Great People and great place to work.
Senior Contracts Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NLMay 17, 2016
Great People and great place to work. Would recommend to anyone in construction. .the drive can be a bit difficult in bad weather. each day has new challenges and is some what fast paced.
Nice place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBApril 8, 2016
was good. enjoyed it and experience.
magagement was good
co-workers were good
hardest part was when work was on hold due to break downs.
Productive work site, well-organized and run appropriately
Mechanical Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NLMarch 1, 2016
Those who worked at Vale's Long Harbour site were friendly and easy to get along with. Management was very well organized and I believed it what the company was doing and believed it could get done in a timely manner.
Exciting and helpful.
Plant Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 16, 2016
I enjoyed this job from its day to day duties all the way to its wages. We had an excellent benefit package and management looked after us.
Pros
Wages and benefits
Cons
lack of scheduling
Good place to work at.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MBJanuary 21, 2016
I worked with some great people and had some of the best leaders/mentors anyone could ask for. Hard work is rewarded with opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Benefits, Management
Cons
Great place to work if you love challenges
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NLJanuary 12, 2016
A great learning place.

Outstanding safety culture

Collaborative team members

Good management

Vale is in the process of making their own EPCM for Phase 2AB and 2z which created the scope for different contractor, vendor and companies. This a huge benefit to work with myriads of working personnel and professionals.
Great Place to work
Manager Operational Readiness (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKNovember 10, 2015
Management is excellent. Great team selected to configure this plant. High Performance Management tactics put into operational plan. No issues working here
avaerage company
(Millwright), Team Leader, Relief Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MBOctober 24, 2015
Average company to work for, no room for advancement. Company is always in cost cutting mode. Little time given to reflect upon successes. Company does offer a very attractive remuneration package.
Pros
wage and benefits
Cons
instability
Excellent employer and fantastic benefits.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Long HarbourOctober 15, 2015
This a world class company that any high performance professional would love working for,
Getting a job here is very hard. It requires a lot of experience to be successfull in the job application.
Team is awesome.
Safety is a priority.
One of the best companies in the world.
Pros
High salary. Great benefits.
Cons
Far from the city.
Challenging and Interesting Work Environment
Site Administration Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NewfoundlandSeptember 24, 2015
During my employment with Fluor Constructors I was required to travel long distances for employment. Working at the Vale project required travel to Newfoundland. I was on a 10 and 4 rotation which equated to be only home 6 days a month. This was challenging. My work at the Vale project was interesting and demanding in that the staff was upwards of 300 and had traveled from all over the world to work there.

Due to the length of the project the Project Director changed 3 times and that meant adapting to new management skills. This was acquired through diplomacy.

I enjoyed working in Newfoundland a truly endearing province and a beautiful place to work. The local staff were amazing,

I decided at the end of this project to leave the employment of Fluor in order to spend more time at home. I took a year off to regroup and am now actively looking for employment in the local area. The employment I am looking for may not necessarily be of the same responsibilities and caliber of work as was the case with Fluor and I realize will not be of the same pay rate.

My goal is to provide valuable, perfected, reliable assistance to my employer.
Great Work Enviroment Geared toward teaching
Project Planner (Current Employee) –  Long Harnour, NLAugust 10, 2015
Great place to work, great people and tremendous learning experiences.
Currently I am planning a multi-disciplinary process neutralization portion of the nickel processing facility.
great place to work
Project Technologist (Current Employee) –  Long Harbour, NLAugust 5, 2015
great spot to work just a far drive from the city

management is lacking

distance and quality of life is lacking

great experience on site
Great place to work at
Electrical Engineer in Training (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MBJuly 27, 2015
Vale has been a great learning experience for me and i would recommend others that if they ever come across an opportunity from Vale, they should definitely give it a chance
productive and a fun work place
Refinery / Filter Operator (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBMarch 21, 2015
great wages and benefits.
Great coworkers
always room for advancement
repetitive work, deadlines
amazing staff and leadership
Resistant to Change, Little Concern for Employees
Change Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMarch 5, 2015
Although I worked for Vale, I was working on a project for the company separate from the office headquarters. We were heavily involved with the business and in my role specifically I was regularly interacting with upper management. The company pays extremely well, however they have little to no concern for their employees.

My colleagues on the project were outstanding, however most of them were from the actual mining facilities being brought to Toronto to work on the project.

The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out where you could add value with a highly decentralized management structure and nonexistent business processes. On the other hand, this also made the work environment more enjoyable as you had more or less free range on implementing any ideas you had with very little push back.
Pros
location, pay, colleagues, work environment, social environment
Cons
a tremendous learning opportunity.
Smelter Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBFebruary 9, 2015
A typical day at work ran 12 hours, involved extreme labor requiring the ability to lift over 50 pounds, shoveling/ vaccuuming nickel dust and other minerals, and maintaining the production of nickel anodes weighing over 600 pounds each. i learned how to work in a heavy industry that has not been upgraded since the 1950's therefore requiring a lot of the processes to be done by hand. my coworkers were not the most helpful to adapt with but overall helped me understand how to work safely and diligently. the most enjoyable part of the job was watching myself lose 60 pounds and be in the best shape of my life, and strengthen the relationships i had with coworkers who i grew to highly respect.
Pros
hourly wage, holiday pay, benefits, premiums, training, heavy labor.
Cons
long days, physically exhausting, dangerous, toxic environment
Instructional Designer & Training Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2015
Enjoyed very much working at Vale. I had the the chance to work with very skilled people and very smart management.
Positive and fun place to work, with numerous learning oportunites.
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN APPRENTICE (Co-op Student) (Former Employee) –  Copper Cliff, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Typical day at work begins with the morning line up. All co-workers meet up in lunch room as the supervisor joins us to discuss safety awareness, then the supervisor will assign each team member a set of duties for the day. Co-workers are divided up dependent on the task. Co-workers are divided differently each day to ensure that everyone in the group works cooperatively with each other. After tasks have been completed, team members aide other groups to ensure all duties are completed. Nearing the end of the day, team members clean up shop ensure clean working environment. At the end of the day a final meeting with supervisor where everyone discusses how the day went, and share an act of safety they performed that day with the group. Overall a great working experience!
Pros
a lot of available overtime.
Cons
was not permanent.

4.4