Valard Construction Employee Reviews in Canada

Very Productive, Great working environment, great pay awesome management
Valard Construction Inc (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 7, 2016
.Typical day at work would be getting workers informed on what needs to be done though out the shift.
Ive learned to be more of a leader , Management is awesome an show they care about their workers. Co-workers were great, hard working an make the work area enjoyable. The hardest part of the Job when being foreman was setting aside friendship an being the Foreman.The most enjoyable part of my job was getting the towers done an moving on to the next.
Pros
Camp Food an great pay
Cons
being away from my family for so long
productive , and very organized work environment
Foundation Inspector / Quality Control; (Current Employee) –  all across canadaJanuary 20, 2016
days are full of production, troubleshooting in the field . safe work environment , very family orientated . my knowledge has increased tremendously due to great management and great co-workers.
valard is a good company and they treat thier employees good
labourer and indentured pse (Current Employee) –  all over canadaOctober 15, 2015
a typical day at work,well up by 4.30am and and on the road by 6am on the work site by 6;30am ,we are always driven to to learn more about our trade so we can move up the ladder,we have a toolbox meeting daily,our management is good and will reward the crew with dinner if we reached our daily or weekly goal,most of my co workers are good to work with and the more experience co-workers will help and teach you along the way,i learn something new all most every day,Valard will put you threw school so you can grow with the company and the pay is great,they will give you a food and tool allowance and will pay for your flights and hotel room,the hardest part of the job is the down time for me,i love working for Valard but i dont like not working the whole year,the hardest part of the job is the traveling and being away from the family ,but the the most enjoyable part is the continuous learning and the pay,but i am currently setting at home do to lack of projects
Pros
food and travel payed for
Cons
the cold weather
Great company, great people, great pay.
Apprentice Lineman (Current Employee) –  Saskatchewan - I1K 230KV Transmission ProjectOctober 14, 2015
Valard is a great place to work with a supportive and well skilled management team.
The "get the job done right" attitude is prevalent among all employees, which is very encouraging for new employees and helps develop a strong and knowledgeable workforce that is focussed on safety.
Pros
A lot of opportunitiy to learn different things. Very supportive training environment.
Cons
None. Very satisfied.
Well Pay but No Life
Wireless Technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABMarch 25, 2015
this Company offers really good benefits, lots of overtime and pays are extremely well, however work is all you do and no time for anything else so it is a good job to rise cash if you are single.
Pros
excellent pay and lots of overtime
Cons
No rooms for errors and not suitable for a family man
Office Space.
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  EdmontonFebruary 14, 2015
When I first started at Valard, they had recently transitioned to insourced IT and had recently been picked up by Quanta Services, giving them significant resources and network structure. The IT Manager wanted to create a helpdesk that had a great face to face presence, that didn't have people on hold, and had a great turn around time. Due to needing 6AM - 6PM coverage, we definitely were overstaffed, but as such did not run into crunches during outages, sick days, vacations etc.

Techs were hired based on their ability to learn and work independently. And I do mean independently. If someone on the desk couldn't figure something out, it wasn't getting done. There was no tier 2, and the help desk manager came from a software development background. This lead to the hiring process picking out very headstrong techs, including myself.

As the company grew, the service side of the IT department was fairly stagnant. Software development grew to near triple the size of the service desk, and were sheltered from having to deal with clients. Applications were developed with little to no user input, and devs were against talking to clients, including a new ticket tracking system. Even official channels for suggesting improvements were met with a brick wall.

The longer I worked there, the more it was apparent that management was more concerned with appearances than they were with getting things done. Calls for additional support was met with new middle management being introduced, and more reporting which increased workload and decreased efficiency. Requests from experienced techs to work
  more... afterhours to get queues down were ignored, until management quietly worked with the new inexperienced techs on weekends, usually causing more work than they did.

Eventually dissent among the ranks boiled over and management became to take steps to remove those they view as uncontrollable, notably the headstrong techs they hired originally for being able to do their job.
Pros
fairly high salary for the position at the time.
Cons
toxic management and no support structure.
Geomatics work for Powerlines
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 26, 2015
Very good people, dedicated, willing to help new hires learn. Intense work outdoors, long shifts, not for everyone but very rewarding to those who can take it.
Pros
high pay
Cons
shift work
Great People/Lots of opportunity
crane operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 19, 2015
Working here was always a good time. People are all there for the same reason and the days fly by. Equipment is modern and maintained, and there is lots of opportunity for advancement. I was given the opportunity to learn so many types of equipment, and so many new things,
Pros
long work days, lots of overtime
DANGEROUS COMPANY TO WORK FOR!
lineman (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJanuary 10, 2015
DONOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!! DANGEROUS!! Workers Get Hurt Evewryday!
Pros
zero
Cons
dangerous
Very cold long hours but great pay!
Assembler/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 19, 2014
overall good camp treat you great and make sure your taken care of.
Pros
great pay!
Cons
camp life no social life
Has earned its place as Canada's premier utility contractor.
Foreman Lineman (Current Employee) –  Concord, ONAugust 1, 2014
Typical day includes working with a great team of talented, experienced, hard-working individuals - all with diverse backgrounds - committed to getting the job done.

Management is approachable and listens to ideas / suggestions for improving efficiencies and increasing effectiveness. They respect their employees and value their work.

Greatest challenge of the job is dealing with the public when working onsite.

Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to apply all my existing knowledge, skills and experience while also building upon these by working on a variety of projects and with different team members who all bring their unique background to do the best on the job each day.
Loved it!
Laborer (Former Employee) –  CalgaryApril 20, 2014
Summer Job, but just awesome! Had so much fun working my butt off ever day! Challenging work, but always keeps you busy!
Terrible company
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurrayOctober 30, 2013
This company is a joke. most unorganized group i have ever worked for. they don't know left from right. the management is redicluous. don't have tools you need equipment is never there. they don't help out advancing in careers they make excuses for everything. place is a joke i won't ever advise anyone to work there. the workers there don't know how to do anything and won't listen to anyone else's input on how to do something. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS JOKE OF A COMPANY
Great company with bad management
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  ontarioApril 10, 2013
no disipline for workers that screw up.No accountability.
Pros
great pay
Cons
no time off

4.3