Urban Planet Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive, Great people, and fun place
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCNovember 13, 2015
Great place to work and love the people whom I worked directly with. However, not much support from upper management in day to day business. Felt like it was all about the numbers and not the effort. Busy and diverse store which is great, great benefits and great co-workers. The hardest part would be not having enough support/training and the lack of employees as well as remembering all the different policies, which is to be expected. The Most enjoyable part is how everyone gets along and gets the job done. Store management are great as well.
Pros
Great benefits, decent pay, great in store management and worked, busy
Cons
not enough support and appreciation from upper management, lack of training, lack of employees
nice
Sale associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 7, 2016
great staff and great working place and i had fun working there and i would love to go back again, typical day at working is just laughing, helping each other, conversation with custome and management team was amazing and helpful
Pros
Cons
hours not organize
Comfortable and exciting place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMarch 20, 2016
Working at Urban Planet taught me a lot about customer service. I was trained in all aspects of the store and interacted with customers on a shifty basis. My management team and co-workers were a great group of people who I was able to work with easily and efficiently. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the appearance of the store on the weekends, with limited employees, it was largely my responsibility to clean and maintain the store.
Pros
Excellent Staff
Cons
Messy Store
Productive and very busy place of employment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONDecember 15, 2015
My typical day at Urban Planet usually consists of working the cash. Dealing with a customer on average every minute. I've learned so many skills and assets from this job, and I genuinely love my employment there. Unfortunately the pay isn't the best and the hours are very unreliable. Management there is amazing, my bosses are very understanding about anything and everything when I have problems, and they always answer my questions when they arise. Coworkers are good people as well too, some of them are a little younger and still in high school so their performance isn't as good as some would prefer but they all do a fine job. The hardest parts of my day working there is being left in charge of the shop when my bosses go on break. It normally wouldn't be a challenge for me because of prior experience of working alone and being in charge, but they refuse to promote me and let me preform tasks only management staff can physically do so it limits my performance and effects the happiness of my customers, especially when I have to tell them they need to wait until my boss comes back from break from anywhere between 10 minutes to 1 hour. Beside that downside my job is amazing and I'm just looking forward to expanded my experience in the job fields
Pros
Good coworkers, good environment
Cons
Unreliable hours, minimum pay, no benefits
Terrible company to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 11, 2016
I have worked at more than one urban planet and the over all management is horrible. I would go into work on a daily basis and be put down for absolutely no reason, I was forced to walk out of the store an assistant manager because my store manager would not let one of our full time employees leave to go get feminine hygiene products due to an unexpected menstrual cycle, she was told she could "wait for her break" which was 3 hours away.
I left and bought them for her myself. the poor management does not start with the store manager, it starts with the regional managers. I have worked for more than one YM.INC store and every DM that I had worked with was culturally degrading.
Pros
good bonus, great staff
Cons
poor management, poor organization
Overall, I gained experience in sales and enjoyed working in retail and as a sales associate but would their were many cons with the staff.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJune 9, 2016
A typical day at work was manageable. Their were always customers that could put a smile on my face. Management was very bias and chose favorites. Their were also many employees and managers that were immature about things and insulted people frequently. The hardest part of the job was knowing that managers were judging and talking bad about you and you couldn't do anything about it. Their were a few employees that had the same feelings toward the managers that I did get along with. They made the job a little easier to handle. I also love retail and being able to interact with all types of people and be able to help them. Overall, the job did help me gain experience in several areas.
Pros
I like to work in retail as well as being a sales associate and getting to talk to customers.
Cons
Not enough hours, poor management as well as other employees
Overbooking, Overload working and Underpay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 2, 2016
I enjoyed Urban Planet to an extent but they started overbooking me when they knew i wasn't available for that time. I would clean , restock and work at the cash whenever needed. I love talking to people and helping them so that was the only part i really enjoyed.
Pros
loved the co workers
Cons
Long hours, No breaks
An energetic workplace full of a steady work pace and social place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 27, 2016
Management is incredibly organized, things were always checked, cleaned, and managed to the highest extent. Everyone was always pleasant and treated well, and there were very little issues, if ever. In all retail customers were the most difficult thing to deal with.
Comfortable and Fun place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONJuly 4, 2015
Urban Planet is my first clothing retail experience and i must say as much as i love it, interacting with customers daily and working as a team with my co workers sometimes it has its stressful days aswell. That includes dealing with upset customers, co workers or yourself not having a good day. I would say this job is pretty laid back, we do work hard to keep the store clean and make sure customers are always happy but we try and have fun while doing so. I've learned so much working at this job, but i also feel as if i haven't learned enough. The management is great, but i feel they lack the ability to train their employee's properly and not well enough. As well as i feel like when people become friends with their employee's outside of work they tend to start favouring them at work which i dont find acceptable. They expect us to follow store policies to their standards but then i feel as they are not doing so themselves.
Multiple Managers make for a mess
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONJune 28, 2016
Managers fight with each other and then take it out on staff. Need one clear Manager who is in charge.

Threaten to fire you if you if you do not work any call in hours they want you to work.

Like the work and most of the employees.

Inconsistent hours, hard to predict and they add hours in during the week but do not communicate to staff.

Pay is bad.
Pros
Decent Staff
Cons
pay, mgt fighting, inconsistent hours, threaten to fire you
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 4, 2016
Working at Urban Planet enhanced my customer service skills.
It help me create a work setting fun and enjoyable.
Working with people from all sorts of backgrounds, had made me more aware of cultures and situations. which has made me even more better at my job. It also bang more awareness of different personalities and behaviors of other people. which helped me in all areas of my life.
Pros
laughing, meeting people, making new friends, getting along with regulars
Mixture of good and bad
Cashier & Acting Administrator (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 29, 2016
Although it is a good working experience, I do not appreciate the long hours and expectations of the employees. Some employees do much more than they are asked for, and go above & beyond for their job. Others fail to meet expectations and recieve no consequence. Somewhat unfair treatment, and favouritism.
Pros
experience, some customers, employees
Cons
Long hours, management
a fun place which taught me patience
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Staff and management were always at their best they had great scheduling and understood their employees. This job has taught me to become more honest and more patient with every customer I meet.
Fun job !
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anjou, QCJanuary 4, 2016
C'était très agréable travailler là, d'autant plus quand l'équipe est dynamique. Les promotions n'étaient pas trop durs à faire connaître et c'était facile d'aider un client puisque c'était très efficace de connaître le visuel du magasin, ou sont placés tels ou tels articles, etc.
Insightful experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 18, 2016
While working at Urban Planet, I have encountered many situations, in which I had to use my social skills, would it be to enhance the customer experience, or, in terms of tangible products, I have handled many clothing and accessories goods, which allowed me to grow familiar with the products that the store is selling.
Pros
Good Experience
Cons
Very physical( long days on feet)
Productive Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJuly 10, 2016
A typical day at work for me at the time was hard due to health problems back then. I learned to greet customers as they came into the store, tag clothing and assist customers! The most enjoyable part of the job for me was tagging clothing and making sure it was folded neatly so it caught peoples attention.
Customer Service
Cashier/Retails Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKJuly 20, 2016
We would keep the store clean and organized. Providing the best customer service, helping and ensuring the customers feel comfortable, happy and enjoy what they purchased. The management and co-workers were always fun to be around, we were all like family.
Pros
the co-workers
Cons
wages
summary
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 5, 2016
i loved my job in the beginning when i first started working there. things started changing and im not in love working there anymore. the management doesnt care about there staff
Pros
amazing customers
Cons
bad mangement
Productive and goal driven
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 4, 2016
The day is always busy, never a dull moment. I learned I am very driven and need advancement. I aspire to grow and do more. I enjoyed helping people put together an outfit and just talking to someone one on one and building that customer relationship.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Difficult customers
excellent learning experience
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJuly 7, 2016
Very greatful they took me on, I was given the luxury to be allowed to be a sponge and watch the other more experienced marketers do their thing, this was very special to me as not to many people are given such opportunities.
Pros
discount
Cons
low pay

2.9