Urban Planet Employee Reviews

Productive, Great people, and fun place
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCNovember 13, 2015
Great place to work and love the people whom I worked directly with. However, not much support from upper management in day to day business. Felt like it was all about the numbers and not the effort. Busy and diverse store which is great, great benefits and great co-workers. The hardest part would be not having enough support/training and the lack of employees as well as remembering all the different policies, which is to be expected. The Most enjoyable part is how everyone gets along and gets the job done. Store management are great as well.
Pros
Great benefits, decent pay, great in store management and worked, busy
Cons
not enough support and appreciation from upper management, lack of training, lack of employees
Great first job experience
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 1, 2016
Urban Planet was my first job and it was a pleasant one. That is why I came back to work there after couple of years. All of my co-workers were really nice and hardworking people. My managers trained me well and were always ready to help. Usually we would get most of our costumers around noon, so the hardest part was to make sure everyone is finding what they're looking for. But luckily I had other workers on the floor with me, and since they were more experienced, they helped a lot. The most enjoyable part of this job, in my opinion, was working as a cashier, because that is when you can interact with costumers the most and find out what they think about our store. Overall I had a great time working for this company.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Comfortable and exciting place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMarch 20, 2016
Working at Urban Planet taught me a lot about customer service. I was trained in all aspects of the store and interacted with customers on a shifty basis. My management team and co-workers were a great group of people who I was able to work with easily and efficiently. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the appearance of the store on the weekends, with limited employees, it was largely my responsibility to clean and maintain the store.
Pros
Excellent Staff
Cons
Messy Store
Unorganized, false workplace. Very immature.
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 15, 2016
Working there was not the best. A lot of the time you are required to not follow certain protocol based within the company. Schedules are not made two weeks in advance, the main manager "forgets" to clock out often, and leaves early not taking the hours she is supposed to work, but wasting the hours we have. Also, she performs time card fraud almost everyday. She sits in the back, barely lifting a pinkie most of the time. The remaining staff are excellent people, but the bad experience with management would make me not suggest this specific job to anyone.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
little hours, mismanagement
Terrible company to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 11, 2016
I have worked at more than one urban planet and the over all management is horrible. I would go into work on a daily basis and be put down for absolutely no reason, I was forced to walk out of the store an assistant manager because my store manager would not let one of our full time employees leave to go get feminine hygiene products due to an unexpected menstrual cycle, she was told she could "wait for her break" which was 3 hours away.
I left and bought them for her myself. the poor management does not start with the store manager, it starts with the regional managers. I have worked for more than one YM.INC store and every DM that I had worked with was culturally degrading.
Pros
good bonus, great staff
Cons
poor management, poor organization
Fast Pace, Energetic envorinment, with Excellent Management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ONAugust 13, 2016
Retail is typically a good place to start, I've learned how to promote such sales, and interact with many kinds of people, sometimes not the greatest, but you learn how to deal with them as well. I've grown to learn so much about the products we carry, and able to answer the questions customers expect us to know, even when unsure, I have been still able to give them a fair enough response.
Tasks that I take on involve, cashier, fitting rooms, cleaning the store, and helping with other employees when needed.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Cleaning up after customers
Overall, I gained experience in sales and enjoyed working in retail and as a sales associate but would their were many cons with the staff.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJune 9, 2016
A typical day at work was manageable. Their were always customers that could put a smile on my face. Management was very bias and chose favorites. Their were also many employees and managers that were immature about things and insulted people frequently. The hardest part of the job was knowing that managers were judging and talking bad about you and you couldn't do anything about it. Their were a few employees that had the same feelings toward the managers that I did get along with. They made the job a little easier to handle. I also love retail and being able to interact with all types of people and be able to help them. Overall, the job did help me gain experience in several areas.
Pros
I like to work in retail as well as being a sales associate and getting to talk to customers.
Cons
Not enough hours, poor management as well as other employees
nice
Sale associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 7, 2016
great staff and great working place and i had fun working there and i would love to go back again, typical day at working is just laughing, helping each other, conversation with custome and management team was amazing and helpful
Pros
Cons
hours not organize
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 11, 2016
a typical working day would be Helping Customers find sizes
working the fitting room and working the cashier, I learned a great deal of Time management working at this company, my co-workers were great and very helpful, the most difficult job there was when the store was slow because I like a fast paced environment, the great about working there was being around the great people & fashion.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
Sometimes it was slow
Productive and very busy place of employment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONDecember 15, 2015
My typical day at Urban Planet usually consists of working the cash. Dealing with a customer on average every minute. I've learned so many skills and assets from this job, and I genuinely love my employment there. Unfortunately the pay isn't the best and the hours are very unreliable. Management there is amazing, my bosses are very understanding about anything and everything when I have problems, and they always answer my questions when they arise. Coworkers are good people as well too, some of them are a little younger and still in high school so their performance isn't as good as some would prefer but they all do a fine job. The hardest parts of my day working there is being left in charge of the shop when my bosses go on break. It normally wouldn't be a challenge for me because of prior experience of working alone and being in charge, but they refuse to promote me and let me preform tasks only management staff can physically do so it limits my performance and effects the happiness of my customers, especially when I have to tell them they need to wait until my boss comes back from break from anywhere between 10 minutes to 1 hour. Beside that downside my job is amazing and I'm just looking forward to expanded my experience in the job fields
Pros
Good coworkers, good environment
Cons
Unreliable hours, minimum pay, no benefits
Flexible hours, not a structured company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Shoppers WorldAugust 21, 2016
The company doesn't follow up on with their managers and staff in order to increase a store's productivity and overall employee satisfaction. They don't value their employee's and prefer to over work then to have an adequate amount of staff on the sales floor. Been there for a year and there was never talk of any sort of pay increase.good job for a student getting his/her education, flexible hours.
Multiple Managers make for a mess
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONJune 28, 2016
Managers fight with each other and then take it out on staff. Need one clear Manager who is in charge.

Threaten to fire you if you if you do not work any call in hours they want you to work.

Like the work and most of the employees.

Inconsistent hours, hard to predict and they add hours in during the week but do not communicate to staff.

Pay is bad.
Pros
Decent Staff
Cons
pay, mgt fighting, inconsistent hours, threaten to fire you
Overbooking, Overload working and Underpay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 2, 2016
I enjoyed Urban Planet to an extent but they started overbooking me when they knew i wasn't available for that time. I would clean , restock and work at the cash whenever needed. I love talking to people and helping them so that was the only part i really enjoyed.
Pros
loved the co workers
Cons
Long hours, No breaks
Great emplyess
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 9, 2016
A typical day at work is helping customers with what they need and assisting them.
The management was great
my co-works where great very understanding
The hardest part of the job was folding clothes and dealing with customers
the most enjoyable part of my job was helping customers with there questions and what they need help with
Pros
Nice employess
Cons
An energetic workplace full of a steady work pace and social place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 27, 2016
Management is incredibly organized, things were always checked, cleaned, and managed to the highest extent. Everyone was always pleasant and treated well, and there were very little issues, if ever. In all retail customers were the most difficult thing to deal with.
Mixture of good and bad
Cashier & Acting Administrator (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 29, 2016
Although it is a good working experience, I do not appreciate the long hours and expectations of the employees. Some employees do much more than they are asked for, and go above & beyond for their job. Others fail to meet expectations and recieve no consequence. Somewhat unfair treatment, and favouritism.
Pros
experience, some customers, employees
Cons
Long hours, management
Great starter job
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKSeptember 1, 2016
This was my first actual job and I enjoyed it. I was promoted internally after working here for a year and a half which was a big perk. I learned a lot of valuable and transferable skills here. Working with the public is a huge part of the job so if you're not very sociable, I would't reccomend retail to you.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Emotionally demanding
Fast paced, yet fashionable environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 17, 2016
A typical day working here was relatively consistent throughout such as to ensure a clean and safe environment, to tidy up clothing tables, and to help customers with sizes of a particular clothing item.

My co-workers were very nice, and management was pretty great, too!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
None that I can think of
productive workplace to learn about retail and fashion
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 28, 2016
a typical day at work is folding clothes then watching people ruin them, cashing peoples items out, customer service and assisting people with what they are looking for. Managers are kind of mean, and when you book off days they don't give you them off. end of review
Pros
25% off discount
Cons
short hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 4, 2016
Working at Urban Planet enhanced my customer service skills.
It help me create a work setting fun and enjoyable.
Working with people from all sorts of backgrounds, had made me more aware of cultures and situations. which has made me even more better at my job. It also bang more awareness of different personalities and behaviors of other people. which helped me in all areas of my life.
Pros
laughing, meeting people, making new friends, getting along with regulars

2.9