Urban Planet Employee Reviews

Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 October 2016
When working in retail you get to understand the different types of people in this world. This was my first job so getting to understand how to talk with people and be able to help them with their needs was good because it helped me learn the costumer service skills I have today. At this job I worked mainly on the floor or change rooms so cleaner and putting away clothes. The girls I worked with were always changing and the odd few stayed and I was able to get to know them witch made work enjoyable when you see the same faces each day. The management was good they were able to have flexible hours because at the time I was still in high school and was so grateful for that.
Treated awful by upper management
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON23 November 2016
I loved my job when I started, it was always busy and customers were so fun to work with. My co-workers were amazing and a great team but upper management were awful, they treated you like you weren't even a human. The manager worked so hard and stressed herself over this job so much she got physically sick. Ym is a awful company to work.
Pros
awesome co-workers
Cons
upper-management
Pleasant work environment
Seasonal, Part & Full Time (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NB15 October 2016
I greatly enjoyed my time at Urban planet, the customer interaction was great, co-workers were wonderful. Day to day tasks were stable and included service, cash work, and resolving client issues. The most enjoyable part was the joy on a satisfied customers face, the hardest part of the job was the drama in management.
Pros
great discount, good hours
Cons
poor management
Easy going work envoirment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON3 November 2016
-handling cash
-helping with the customers needs
-tagging and putting out stock
-the management were overall nice people, got along well with everyone
-worked in fitting rooms while on cash in the mornings
Pros
Great management team always there for you when you're going through a tough time
Cons
Sometimes there was quite a bit of drama, which made the job stressful
Great first job experience
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 September 2016
Urban Planet was my first job and it was a pleasant one. That is why I came back to work there after couple of years. All of my co-workers were really nice and hardworking people. My managers trained me well and were always ready to help. Usually we would get most of our costumers around noon, so the hardest part was to make sure everyone is finding what they're looking for. But luckily I had other workers on the floor with me, and since they were more experienced, they helped a lot. The most enjoyable part of this job, in my opinion, was working as a cashier, because that is when you can interact with costumers the most and find out what they think about our store. Overall I had a great time working for this company.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Flexible hours, not a structured company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Shoppers World21 August 2016
The company doesn't follow up on with their managers and staff in order to increase a store's productivity and overall employee satisfaction. They don't value their employee's and prefer to over work then to have an adequate amount of staff on the sales floor. Been there for a year and there was never talk of any sort of pay increase.good job for a student getting his/her education, flexible hours.
Fast Pace, Energetic envorinment, with Excellent Management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON13 August 2016
Retail is typically a good place to start, I've learned how to promote such sales, and interact with many kinds of people, sometimes not the greatest, but you learn how to deal with them as well. I've grown to learn so much about the products we carry, and able to answer the questions customers expect us to know, even when unsure, I have been still able to give them a fair enough response.
Tasks that I take on involve, cashier, fitting rooms, cleaning the store, and helping with other employees when needed.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Cleaning up after customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 August 2016
a typical working day would be Helping Customers find sizes
working the fitting room and working the cashier, I learned a great deal of Time management working at this company, my co-workers were great and very helpful, the most difficult job there was when the store was slow because I like a fast paced environment, the great about working there was being around the great people & fashion.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
Sometimes it was slow
Great starter job
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK1 September 2016
This was my first actual job and I enjoyed it. I was promoted internally after working here for a year and a half which was a big perk. I learned a lot of valuable and transferable skills here. Working with the public is a huge part of the job so if you're not very sociable, I would't reccomend retail to you.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Emotionally demanding
Unorganized, false workplace. Very immature.
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 July 2016
Working there was not the best. A lot of the time you are required to not follow certain protocol based within the company. Schedules are not made two weeks in advance, the main manager "forgets" to clock out often, and leaves early not taking the hours she is supposed to work, but wasting the hours we have. Also, she performs time card fraud almost everyday. She sits in the back, barely lifting a pinkie most of the time. The remaining staff are excellent people, but the bad experience with management would make me not suggest this specific job to anyone.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
little hours, mismanagement
Great emplyess
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2016
A typical day at work is helping customers with what they need and assisting them.
The management was great
my co-works where great very understanding
The hardest part of the job was folding clothes and dealing with customers
the most enjoyable part of my job was helping customers with there questions and what they need help with
Pros
Nice employess
productive and learning environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
Great management and friendly staff, but needed more employees as everyone else had to constantly work overtime because of this. It was a great learning experience for those trying to advance their skills in store management.
Pros
paid 10 minute breaks
Cons
long hours, less employees
alright not that great of a place.
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC31 October 2016
the managament is not that great, there was a few people that were really nice and fun to work with, but most i think were rude. it was fun at first but when the management went down hill is got to be a bad work place.
Pros
in the mall, so on lunch get to go shopping
Cons
not very flexible with hours
Productive and hardworking when need be
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB3 October 2016
Mostly the starting of my shift would be in the morning and I would do stock mostly which I enjoyed very much , but I found I was pushed to do more tasks when other co workers would be able to help out with these tasks as well. I learned I have to be smiling and tell the customers about the daily sales going on in the store as soon as they come in and to over come that fear. Management I found favored some coworkers and made others who weren't favored feel like a ghost or unworthy worker of the company. Most co workers there are always bonding some how and become close through many obstacles in the workplace. The hardest task to do for me was putting up the advertisements in the windows of the store or even dressing the mannequins on higher shelves. I enjoyed the company of the coworkers and finding out what is in for stock!
Pros
Discounts on all sister brands
Cons
The management treatment
great for people who love people
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON9 November 2016
Can be long days but customers make it fun
challenging goals,
much to learn with merchandising
seems to be a consistent staff turn over
sometimes hours are cut, so can be difficult to manage your finances
Pros
long days
Cons
too many change overs in short time frame
Fast paced, yet fashionable environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2016
A typical day working here was relatively consistent throughout such as to ensure a clean and safe environment, to tidy up clothing tables, and to help customers with sizes of a particular clothing item.

My co-workers were very nice, and management was pretty great, too!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
None that I can think of
Multiple Managers make for a mess
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON28 June 2016
Managers fight with each other and then take it out on staff. Need one clear Manager who is in charge.

Threaten to fire you if you if you do not work any call in hours they want you to work.

Like the work and most of the employees.

Inconsistent hours, hard to predict and they add hours in during the week but do not communicate to staff.

Pay is bad.
Pros
Decent Staff
Cons
pay, mgt fighting, inconsistent hours, threaten to fire you
Mixture of good and bad
Cashier & Acting Administrator (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON29 June 2016
Although it is a good working experience, I do not appreciate the long hours and expectations of the employees. Some employees do much more than they are asked for, and go above & beyond for their job. Others fail to meet expectations and recieve no consequence. Somewhat unfair treatment, and favouritism.
Pros
experience, some customers, employees
Cons
Long hours, management
productive workplace to learn about retail and fashion
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 July 2016
a typical day at work is folding clothes then watching people ruin them, cashing peoples items out, customer service and assisting people with what they are looking for. Managers are kind of mean, and when you book off days they don't give you them off. end of review
Pros
25% off discount
Cons
short hours
Good Workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 October 2016
A typical day at Urban Planet consists of me being on cash and when there are no customers at the cash desk, I am either putting clothes away or cleaning my section that is given to me. My co-workers are great to work with, they make the time pass because we all get along very well.

2.9