Urban Planet Employee Reviews in Canada

Flexible hours, not a structured company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Shoppers WorldAugust 21, 2016
The company doesn't follow up on with their managers and staff in order to increase a store's productivity and overall employee satisfaction. They don't value their employee's and prefer to over work then to have an adequate amount of staff on the sales floor. Been there for a year and there was never talk of any sort of pay increase.good job for a student getting his/her education, flexible hours.
Fast paced, yet fashionable environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 17, 2016
A typical day working here was relatively consistent throughout such as to ensure a clean and safe environment, to tidy up clothing tables, and to help customers with sizes of a particular clothing item.

My co-workers were very nice, and management was pretty great, too!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
None that I can think of
Fast Pace, Energetic envorinment, with Excellent Management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ONAugust 13, 2016
Retail is typically a good place to start, I've learned how to promote such sales, and interact with many kinds of people, sometimes not the greatest, but you learn how to deal with them as well. I've grown to learn so much about the products we carry, and able to answer the questions customers expect us to know, even when unsure, I have been still able to give them a fair enough response.
Tasks that I take on involve, cashier, fitting rooms, cleaning the store, and helping with other employees when needed.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Cleaning up after customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 11, 2016
a typical working day would be Helping Customers find sizes
working the fitting room and working the cashier, I learned a great deal of Time management working at this company, my co-workers were great and very helpful, the most difficult job there was when the store was slow because I like a fast paced environment, the great about working there was being around the great people & fashion.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
Sometimes it was slow
Great emplyess
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 9, 2016
A typical day at work is helping customers with what they need and assisting them.
The management was great
my co-works where great very understanding
The hardest part of the job was folding clothes and dealing with customers
the most enjoyable part of my job was helping customers with there questions and what they need help with
Pros
Nice employess
Clothing store
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 9, 2016
Good place to work with great people!, I learnt quickly with the help of my coworkers. I really enjoyed working here but it was only temporary. It was my first sales associate job and I very much enjoyed it.
One of my worst jobs ever.
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 5, 2016
I worked only six days for this company. Coming into a job as stock associate, when I have years of Inventory/stock/retail management experience, should have been a breeze for me.

Instead of making me happy, I was working with a ton of stress being shared with me. The manager had a lot of complainting going on, about the company. The lack of hangers for me to do my job efficiently, properly, well...never got resolved during my time there. Despite there being two other locations in the city they could have borrowed some from - but the manager didn't have a car. The co-manager did, but the manager apparently never even communicated with her co-manager about the need for a car to pick up hangers, so that the stock could be readied for the floor, and moved out of the back room.

The district manager said she would get us some hangers. Two days later, I asked what was going on with that, and the manager's only response was that she didn't even know if the district manager had made a call to make it happen. This is where I started to have a major problem. As a former manager myself, I know that a lot of the time, companies will throw you challenges to see how you handle them. This manager wasn't dealing with the situation, then suddenly, when the Regional Manager was scheduled to come in, she came into the back and told me that everything needed to be hung asap. Without the hangers to do so. As a manager, it was/is her job to get on the phone and follow up with the district manager and make hangers appear. Or, go to the other stores, pick up hangers, and pay for
  more... a taxi to get them to your store. Another store location was mere minutes down the road.

Having to constantly hear about the complaints the manager had, drained me. The stock I was able to prepare just kept building up in the back room, instead of being moved right to the floor, as was supposed to happen, leaving me with increasingly less and less space to work. They didn't have anti-fatigue mats to stand on in my work space, but did for the people on the tills.

The store I was at was poorly managed, the sales staff were slow moving as soon as they were off the floor, no one moved with a purpose, they all seemed to just want to spend their time complaining. This is not an atmosphere where management are doing their jobs in motivating/encouraging their staff, or helping them in any way.

Oh, and my "training" lasted just long enough to read the booklet for my position, before I was literally thrown into the job with the briefest of directions, and we never returned to my actual required training, which was really aggravating. And, for a job that was supposed to be 5 hours a day when I was hired, it was 5, then 6, then 8, then 5, and 4. And after I signed on, the manager informed me she's not even supposed to use 20 hours for stock a week - yet, she told me when interviewing me that the position was 5 hours a day, 5 days a week.

None of it added up to being worth the meager amount they offered for the job. That kind of job deserves far more. And, two weeks later, I still have yet to see any kind of pay.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
everything else
Terrible.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJuly 29, 2016
Was a terrible experience. Not a company i would love to grow with as they aren't well prepared to pay their employees overtime and missed pays. The manager asks us to stay and clean up after closing. ie 2-10pm. We stay later than 10pm and us employees are not paid for the overtime.
Cons
Terrible Management
productive workplace to learn about retail and fashion
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 28, 2016
a typical day at work is folding clothes then watching people ruin them, cashing peoples items out, customer service and assisting people with what they are looking for. Managers are kind of mean, and when you book off days they don't give you them off. end of review
Pros
25% off discount
Cons
short hours
Customer Service
Cashier/Retails Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKJuly 20, 2016
We would keep the store clean and organized. Providing the best customer service, helping and ensuring the customers feel comfortable, happy and enjoy what they purchased. The management and co-workers were always fun to be around, we were all like family.
Pros
the co-workers
Cons
wages
Unorganized, false workplace. Very immature.
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 15, 2016
Working there was not the best. A lot of the time you are required to not follow certain protocol based within the company. Schedules are not made two weeks in advance, the main manager "forgets" to clock out often, and leaves early not taking the hours she is supposed to work, but wasting the hours we have. Also, she performs time card fraud almost everyday. She sits in the back, barely lifting a pinkie most of the time. The remaining staff are excellent people, but the bad experience with management would make me not suggest this specific job to anyone.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
little hours, mismanagement
Productive Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJuly 10, 2016
A typical day at work for me at the time was hard due to health problems back then. I learned to greet customers as they came into the store, tag clothing and assist customers! The most enjoyable part of the job for me was tagging clothing and making sure it was folded neatly so it caught peoples attention.
excellent learning experience
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJuly 7, 2016
Very greatful they took me on, I was given the luxury to be allowed to be a sponge and watch the other more experienced marketers do their thing, this was very special to me as not to many people are given such opportunities.
Pros
discount
Cons
low pay
Mixture of good and bad
Cashier & Acting Administrator (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 29, 2016
Although it is a good working experience, I do not appreciate the long hours and expectations of the employees. Some employees do much more than they are asked for, and go above & beyond for their job. Others fail to meet expectations and recieve no consequence. Somewhat unfair treatment, and favouritism.
Pros
experience, some customers, employees
Cons
Long hours, management
Multiple Managers make for a mess
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONJune 28, 2016
Managers fight with each other and then take it out on staff. Need one clear Manager who is in charge.

Threaten to fire you if you if you do not work any call in hours they want you to work.

Like the work and most of the employees.

Inconsistent hours, hard to predict and they add hours in during the week but do not communicate to staff.

Pay is bad.
Pros
Decent Staff
Cons
pay, mgt fighting, inconsistent hours, threaten to fire you
Good palce
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 22, 2016
It was good job i like what i was doing like maintaining store visuals
proper managing the staff achieving the daily targets and getting weekly bonuses
Terrible company to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 11, 2016
I have worked at more than one urban planet and the over all management is horrible. I would go into work on a daily basis and be put down for absolutely no reason, I was forced to walk out of the store an assistant manager because my store manager would not let one of our full time employees leave to go get feminine hygiene products due to an unexpected menstrual cycle, she was told she could "wait for her break" which was 3 hours away.
I left and bought them for her myself. the poor management does not start with the store manager, it starts with the regional managers. I have worked for more than one YM.INC store and every DM that I had worked with was culturally degrading.
Pros
good bonus, great staff
Cons
poor management, poor organization
Overall, I gained experience in sales and enjoyed working in retail and as a sales associate but would their were many cons with the staff.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJune 9, 2016
A typical day at work was manageable. Their were always customers that could put a smile on my face. Management was very bias and chose favorites. Their were also many employees and managers that were immature about things and insulted people frequently. The hardest part of the job was knowing that managers were judging and talking bad about you and you couldn't do anything about it. Their were a few employees that had the same feelings toward the managers that I did get along with. They made the job a little easier to handle. I also love retail and being able to interact with all types of people and be able to help them. Overall, the job did help me gain experience in several areas.
Pros
I like to work in retail as well as being a sales associate and getting to talk to customers.
Cons
Not enough hours, poor management as well as other employees
good enviornment
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 8, 2016
overall good place to work, fun environment and good music to keep your energy high and nice co-workers and staff. Everyone was always helping each other out and helping me out.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 4, 2016
Working at Urban Planet enhanced my customer service skills.
It help me create a work setting fun and enjoyable.
Working with people from all sorts of backgrounds, had made me more aware of cultures and situations. which has made me even more better at my job. It also bang more awareness of different personalities and behaviors of other people. which helped me in all areas of my life.
Pros
laughing, meeting people, making new friends, getting along with regulars

2.9