Urban Planet Employee Reviews

Unorganized retail company that lacks respect
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 February 2018
A typical day at work would be not that busy, depending on the promotion going on in the store. I've learned more about customer service and my rights within working in retail. The managers do not provide any training to their new employees and believe that the employees should basically train themselves ( dumbest thing I've heard). They are racist and extremely bias. They do not set a good example. The workplace lacks culture. The hardest part of the job is being penalized for not having a perfect section when you have never been trained and being penalized for not knowing categories when you have not been taught. The most enjoyable part of the job would be helping out customers, meeting new people and putting a smile on customers faces.
Pros
The location was very close to my home
Cons
The managers mistreat their employees, are racist, very bias and inconsiderate
Disorganized, very few hours, and horrible training
Store sales associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 February 2018
I was not provided the proper training I required and deserved, and in turn I was punished on more than one occasion for doing something wrong that I had received no training for. I received minimal hours while my MANAGER complained to me that "working 40 hours is hard". The computer systems are out of date. No one cares about how the store is run or how messy it is until Head Office decides to come take a look, then its the end of the world. It's a gong show especially for the part-time workers that wish to be full-time.
Pros
It's laid back and relaxing work if you're looking for an easy job.
Cons
Very few hours, minimum wage, and disorganized.
great learning experience
FASHION DIRECTOR - Stitches (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2018
Unconventional retailer. High turnover. Working environment is not sustainable. CEO and owner is very hands on. There was no workplace culture. Long hours.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
no respect for the individual
job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC13 February 2018
fitting rooms kept clean and tidy. helping customers find items, being on time and positive attitude. great place to work 10/10 would go back anytime.
Okay
Sales Associate / Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON12 February 2018
It was a very easy job, but the management it very disorganized and the company itself is terrible. I worked with two seperate YM inc. companies, and they don't care about their employees their turnover rate is ridiculous because it's such a miserable disorganized environment.
Pros
easy
Cons
long hours, disorganized, unprofessional
Highly stressful, horrible management but good hours in the summer.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 February 2018
The store has good customer service but the management lacks in skills such as handling the store properly. The manager of the store does not give you respect and does not know how to give respect to people. The job causes a lot of mental stress and sometimes physical stress if they make you clean everything in the back stock room which is not supposed to be part of your job. There are some safety hazards as in also a big ladder in the middle of the store and some of the rolling racks are not stable and can fall off. It is a good store but the management is horrible and only a few of them know how to treat you with respect.
Pros
Good hours in summer
Cons
horrible management, causes you mental stress with the way they treat you
Not the best
Part Time Sales Associate + Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2018
If your a part time employee you get nothing. you don't get benefits you don't get a say in anything. you don't get raises even if you have been with the company for five plus years. there is absolutely no room for growth within the company.
service à la clientèle agréable
Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Marne5 February 2018
Une journée typique au travail serait de faire le plus de vente possible en faisant des suggestions aux clients. J'ai gagner beaucoup d’expérience en service à la clientèle grâce a cet emploi. L'aspect le plus difficile de mon poste était de faire plusieurs choses a la fois pendant les heures d'affluence. L 'aspect le plus agréable de ce poste était de venir aux besoins des clients et les aider avec leurs achats.
Good environment, good co-workers, decent pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 February 2018
Working in the urban planet store wasn't a bad job. although they work you overtime and the pay was decent, I liked working with my co-workers and the environment is good. I learned a great deal about myself and discovered that I'm quite good at selling to customers, and suggesting alternatives for any items they could not find. I disliked having the same task for the entire day, but that did not stop me from doing my work efficiently and as best as I could.
Pros
my co-workers, discounts
Cons
short lunches, long hours, no balance in job must do the same task for all 8 hours of job
good workplace
Cashier/ Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON30 January 2018
Good workplace, good environment, good management. organized place, flexible hours. However, management extremely strict due to horrible past management
Not a good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2018
Management picked favourites, treated everyone else horribly. Team was not well coordinated. Not an enjoyable place to work. I will never work here again.
Great
Sales Associate and subsequently Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC27 January 2018
Listen to your people. You may think "losing some reps here at there" is normal, and inevitable. Sure- you're probably right. But there is absolutely a common theme here as to why people are leaving and it is because newer "upper management" is trying to toss ideas into the pot and willing to sacrifice reps sanity and happiness at work. Your reps are your revenue. I'd keep that top of mind.
Not a fun job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2018
Typical work day consists of being at one area for 8 hours (greet customers for 8 hours, be in change rooms for 8 hours, cashier for 8 ours, fold clothes for 8 hours, put away clothes in 8 hours, etc) No balance, makes the job less meaningful and management is poor.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Long hours, not enough pay
outgoing Atmosphere
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 January 2018
A typical day at work was busy and productive . Assisting customers with merchandise, and displaying store merchandise . Management was very flexible and understanding. The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers, however I enjoy helping customers find their perfect outfits and helping to sell product that made the customer satisfied .
Not reliable hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC22 January 2018
managers dont communicate.management made jokes for what I wore. Need a doc note even when you call within the notice/only miss one shift!Not worth 5h
Pros
Cons
Terrible hours, bad management
Friendly, modern atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2018
I absolutely loved working at Urban Planet! It is such a fun atmosphere with upbeat, modern music that appeals to the customers and adds to the atmosphere of the store. It puts you in such a fashion forward yet friendly mood, making you feel at your best to help the customers with anything they may need! The people I worked with were chosen specifically by our manager to be people friendly hard working people, and I count myself lucky to be able to work alongside them!
Pros
Discounts at multiple other stores as well as Urban Planet
Cons
After a shift your feet will hurt, you're always on your feet except for breaks
urban planet has its moments of good and bad.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  victroia BC8 January 2018
worked for over a year and I kind of regret it. they expect way to much out of you and management is very ungrateful. they love to place guilt, and laziness is there favorite. they skim threw paperwork when they want to get rid of an employee, ie.. me. i was blamed for something that had nothing to do with me. when they no longer want an employee employed, management will remove you from the schedule with no warning and force you to put in your 2 weeks or just quit all together. not gonna lie its good money but future reference don't let them push you around, there good at that.
Pros
co-workers, discount
Cons
to many rulos that even the custemers notice, gudgmental, management good at job but not a great person. unorganized schedule hours
Good experience and good staff.
Vendeuse (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 January 2018
I really enjoyed working for this company, I had no experience starting and they really thought me a lot about customer service and being a good retail associate. The staff was loving and caring and being part of the team was great.
Pros
great team
Cons
a lot of promotions
Eh
Co-Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 December 2017
Very difficult environment to work in when not explained tasks and directives properly and the staff is great otherwise and the 10 min breaks and 1 hr breaks are nice for full timers
Pros
10 min
Cons
Lack of leadership from other management
fix the clothes
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario15 December 2017
I was in the store to control and help a client and return back item to right place so secure the store so sometime help to cashier for pack the item