Urban Planet Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive, Great people, and fun place
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCNovember 13, 2015
Great place to work and love the people whom I worked directly with. However, not much support from upper management in day to day business. Felt like it was all about the numbers and not the effort. Busy and diverse store which is great, great benefits and great co-workers. The hardest part would be not having enough support/training and the lack of employees as well as remembering all the different policies, which is to be expected. The Most enjoyable part is how everyone gets along and gets the job done. Store management are great as well.
Pros
Great benefits, decent pay, great in store management and worked, busy
Cons
not enough support and appreciation from upper management, lack of training, lack of employees
nice
Sale associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 7, 2016
great staff and great working place and i had fun working there and i would love to go back again, typical day at working is just laughing, helping each other, conversation with custome and management team was amazing and helpful
Pros
Cons
hours not organize
Comfortable and exciting place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMarch 20, 2016
Working at Urban Planet taught me a lot about customer service. I was trained in all aspects of the store and interacted with customers on a shifty basis. My management team and co-workers were a great group of people who I was able to work with easily and efficiently. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the appearance of the store on the weekends, with limited employees, it was largely my responsibility to clean and maintain the store.
Pros
Excellent Staff
Cons
Messy Store
Productive and very busy place of employment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONDecember 15, 2015
My typical day at Urban Planet usually consists of working the cash. Dealing with a customer on average every minute. I've learned so many skills and assets from this job, and I genuinely love my employment there. Unfortunately the pay isn't the best and the hours are very unreliable. Management there is amazing, my bosses are very understanding about anything and everything when I have problems, and they always answer my questions when they arise. Coworkers are good people as well too, some of them are a little younger and still in high school so their performance isn't as good as some would prefer but they all do a fine job. The hardest parts of my day working there is being left in charge of the shop when my bosses go on break. It normally wouldn't be a challenge for me because of prior experience of working alone and being in charge, but they refuse to promote me and let me preform tasks only management staff can physically do so it limits my performance and effects the happiness of my customers, especially when I have to tell them they need to wait until my boss comes back from break from anywhere between 10 minutes to 1 hour. Beside that downside my job is amazing and I'm just looking forward to expanded my experience in the job fields
Pros
Good coworkers, good environment
Cons
Unreliable hours, minimum pay, no benefits
Overbooking, Overload working and Underpay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 2, 2016
I enjoyed Urban Planet to an extent but they started overbooking me when they knew i wasn't available for that time. I would clean , restock and work at the cash whenever needed. I love talking to people and helping them so that was the only part i really enjoyed.
Pros
loved the co workers
Cons
Long hours, No breaks
An energetic workplace full of a steady work pace and social place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 27, 2016
Management is incredibly organized, things were always checked, cleaned, and managed to the highest extent. Everyone was always pleasant and treated well, and there were very little issues, if ever. In all retail customers were the most difficult thing to deal with.
Comfortable and Fun place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONJuly 4, 2015
Urban Planet is my first clothing retail experience and i must say as much as i love it, interacting with customers daily and working as a team with my co workers sometimes it has its stressful days aswell. That includes dealing with upset customers, co workers or yourself not having a good day. I would say this job is pretty laid back, we do work hard to keep the store clean and make sure customers are always happy but we try and have fun while doing so. I've learned so much working at this job, but i also feel as if i haven't learned enough. The management is great, but i feel they lack the ability to train their employee's properly and not well enough. As well as i feel like when people become friends with their employee's outside of work they tend to start favouring them at work which i dont find acceptable. They expect us to follow store policies to their standards but then i feel as they are not doing so themselves.
a fun place which taught me patience
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Staff and management were always at their best they had great scheduling and understood their employees. This job has taught me to become more honest and more patient with every customer I meet.
Fun job !
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anjou, QCJanuary 4, 2016
C'était très agréable travailler là, d'autant plus quand l'équipe est dynamique. Les promotions n'étaient pas trop durs à faire connaître et c'était facile d'aider un client puisque c'était très efficace de connaître le visuel du magasin, ou sont placés tels ou tels articles, etc.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 4, 2016
Working at Urban Planet enhanced my customer service skills.
It help me create a work setting fun and enjoyable.
Working with people from all sorts of backgrounds, had made me more aware of cultures and situations. which has made me even more better at my job. It also bang more awareness of different personalities and behaviors of other people. which helped me in all areas of my life.
Pros
laughing, meeting people, making new friends, getting along with regulars
summary
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 5, 2016
i loved my job in the beginning when i first started working there. things started changing and im not in love working there anymore. the management doesnt care about there staff
Pros
amazing customers
Cons
bad mangement
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioAugust 27, 2015
*Responsible for quick and efficient processing of sales
*Greeted customers as they arrived into the store and exhibited a friendly atmosphere
*Organized presentation booths and displays within store
*Recommended, and helped locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires
*Described merchandise and explain use, operation, and care of merchandise to customers
*Assists in cleaning up, stocking, paperwork and effectively displaying merchandise
*Got along with my co-workers
*Management needed to be more available to sales associate
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
unorganized
productive
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 15, 2015
a typical day at work for me is long shifts, multitasking. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the management that doesn't want to do anything.
Insightful experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 18, 2016
While working at Urban Planet, I have encountered many situations, in which I had to use my social skills, would it be to enhance the customer experience, or, in terms of tangible products, I have handled many clothing and accessories goods, which allowed me to grow familiar with the products that the store is selling.
Pros
Good Experience
Cons
Very physical( long days on feet)
rubbish
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONAugust 5, 2015
Management was terrible, always breathing down your neck to get things done, whinning about small things around the store that didn't need to be done. Long hours. and no pay (Y) trash job !
Pros
discount clothes
Cons
terrible management
AWFUL
cash (Former Employee) –  VictoriaOctober 12, 2015
Worst job I have ever had. No breaks, they break nearly all of the employment standard laws, treat staff like garbage, terrible pay, unethically made clothes, made in China. I have found child sized rubber gloves in boxes. Toxic chemicals used to make clothing. No ventilation in the stock room, I and several staff members have become ill at work from breathing in the chemicals from the shoes an d clothes. Boxes of clothes come in moldy...if they aren't too moldy they spray the items with bathroom cleaner and sell it anyway.

At least one staff member runs to the back crying daily. They have an insane expectation of how hard the staff is to work and minimum wage. They illegally refuse to pay overtime to staff.

This company is a disgrace to Canadian standards and is simply horrific to it's staff.
I have been int he work force for over 20 years and I have never witnessed this before. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY.
Cons
everything is a con.
Excellent hours and workplace security.
Sales Associate/ Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONJune 24, 2015
Everyday was generally the same. folding clothes, receiving orders and counting stock. I learned how to interact with customers and effectively meeting their needs. I was able to advance and become a key holder which enabled me to have more responsibilities other then just a floor rep. I would communicate daily with senior executives with the overall processes of the store. The hardest part of the job would be back to school season and the customers not happy with return policy. We ensure they know exactly the terms and conditions upon point of sale when the initial purchase was made. Most enjoyable part was discounts and being able to see the fashion a season ahead.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
folding tshirt tables
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Concord, ONApril 12, 2016
Some managers were biased and favoured specific individuals. You receive lots of hours especially in the summer or during winter break but after January, business is really slow..
Pros
10 Minute Lunch Breaks
Cons
Favouritism
It was an alright environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 25, 2016
I felt like the managers were always speaking there own language and talking bad about the employees. It was a alright environment, the managers were not welcoming.
Pros
nothing
Cons
they were rude
Productive. Fun
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2016
Multi-tasking. Everybody was nice. Everybody got along. My manager was really kind. My coworkers showed a lot of respect.
Pros
Free Food sometimes
Cons
Not enough hours