Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews

Lots of potential growth within the company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 August 2015
Working at Urban Outfitters has been an overall great experience for me. I am learning more about myself and the kind of person I want to become and develop with the company
Pros
flexible staff
Cons
short breaks
Amazing vibe, amazing people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary17 August 2015
Working for Urban Outfitters in Calgary was one of the best experiences I've had at any job. Everyone worked together well, and were extremely nice. Urban Outfitters encourages the idea of Peers Teaching Peers which allowed an open and professional communication line between the managers, team leaders, and sales associate.
Casual Workplace
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver8 April 2015
A typical work day consists of helping customers and cleaning up. Honestly its not that hard of a job, the employees have a cool kid vibe but they're all really nice. I liked that we were allowed to wear whatever we wanted.
Pros
nice discount, freedom to wear whatever
Cons
cliques
A great place full of great people
Women's Accessories Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario5 April 2015
As a manager, typically we would spend part of our shift tending to department responsibilities and tasks to ensure we are improving business in comparison to the previous year. This would include working with merchandisers to ensure that product was being properly and evenly represented in the store, referring to data reports to see how changes in merchandising have hurt or improved business for specific item classes, sharing product knowledge with staff to ensure they were able to not only sell the product but find a way to connect with the customer as they do it, and back-of-house organization. What I've learned from this position is that using your people and proper delegation is important for being able to accomplish all of the demands of the job. It is easy to fall into the habit of wanting complete control, however realistically, one cannot run a department on their own. In terms of management, I felt a lot of support from my fellow managers. Out of all of the department managers, I was the newest, and they were always willing to give me a hand or give me tips or criticism when I needed it in order for the store to thrive. My staff was the best part of the job because I made a point of seeing them as people as not as subordinates. I respected them and in turn they appreciated me as a manager and were always willing to do what I asked without push-back. The hardest part of the job was probably the conflict of direction from upper management, which was consistent in our store. However, through that, I was able to learn how to prioritize and not get caught up in  more... the confusion. Lastly, the most enjoyable part of the job was that I worked with real people who were able to perform their job beyond the minimum requirement and still have a good time doing it. The success of our store was at it's highest when we as a whole team felt a strong sense of support and positive energy.  less
Pros
Making great connections with my co-workers and customers
Cons
Conflict of direction from upper management
a fun and very organized work place where everyone was your friend.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2015
Urban Outfitters was a very fun place to work and everyone was fun and helpful especially the managers .
although it may have been extremely hectic considering i was working at the mall things seemed to stay pretty organized and on schedule .
The hardest part was keeping up with the extremely high standards the store had , but the most enjoyable part was working in a store where i loved all the product and the people .
Pros
working in an environment i love .
Cons
How busy the mall always is .
It was alright
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, On20 December 2014
I love Urban Outfitters. I love the vibe and the brands and everything. I couldn't stand the gossip though in my placement. That was the onllything
great place!
Key holder/ sales associate (Current Employee) –  edmonton1 September 2014
cool place to work but hours were not compatible with school.
La rotation des postes
Associé aux ventes (Current Employee) –  Québec, QC13 May 2014
Chaque employé est formé à la caisse, au service à la clientèle et à l'accueil du magasin. Cette rotation des postes assure un développement des compétences pertinent à l'employé chez Urban Outfitters. De plus, la rotation des postes stimule davantage le travail et permet à l'employé de connaître ses forces et faiblesses afin de s'améliorer. Ceci étant dit, l'employé évolue dans un milieu de travail sain et sécure mais est soumis à une rapidité d'exécution qui lui permet de relever des défis personnels au travail.
Pros
Flexibilité des horaires
Cons
Salaire minimum et augmentations rigides
A workplace that truly under appreciates their employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, On2 April 2014
I worked for this company as a sales associate for almost a year. For an extremely long time they only gave me on-calls and said it was because their were no hours to give. They were lying, the store employed over 40 sales associates, and only about 10 of them were consistently getting hours; people who have worked there for over a year would literally get one on-call a week, and this would go on for months. How did they decide to solve this? By having open group interviews and hiring more people. They do not care about their employees and will show you no appreciation until you decide to quit, and they will hire 5 people to take your place (and these 5 people will take hours away from everybody else who have been working there for a year).
Pros
discount can be used online, coworkers all around the same age
Cons
no hours, short breaks, they don't care about you
Urban Outfitters Dix30
Womens Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QC9 November 2013
- working in a slow pace store allows more time to get projects done. however, I would much rather work somewhere fast pace

- managers are often on the same page, but occasionally there is conflict brought upon us by the store manager

- hardest part of the job is assuring things get done on their deadline

- most enjoyable part is working with clothes and being able to style and merchandise how we want
Cons
un paid overtime
Great employee perks, fun working environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 September 2013
Great employee benefits, Great sales floor environment, Room for advancement.
Pros
Fun working environment
Cons
Little staff amenities
fun place to work, high turnover
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2013
fun and fast driven environment to work in
not much room for growth if working from the bottom
customer service wasn't at the forefront of priorities
Fun place to work
Visual Merchandiser and Display (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D20 May 2013
Typical day in work was see the morning targets. Walk around shop floor. Do a floor grid of were to put new merchandise. Merchandise clothes. Create new Displays and style customers.

I learned alot in Urban Outfitters. To be out there with creativity. Thinking outside the box.

Management could have been nicer. But at the end of the day they had a job to do.

Co-workers were great. Lovely bunch of people. All them were different. Different personalities.

The hardest part of the job was when you had so much merchandise and you had to make it work. You would try everything and move everything around and finally keep calm and sorted it. Also the wages were so low. Not right when you work so hard.

Most enjoyable part is seeing people appreciate your displays n styling.
Pros
met loads of great people
Cons
long hours and low wages
Good
assisting clients (Former Employee) –  edmonton, ab26 April 2013
It was an enjoyable place to work as a student. The managment were great and made real connections with the employees, which was nice
Fun and relaxed environment
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  kingston31 March 2013
Easy going - mostly involves folding/running clothes onto the floor. Little push for customer involvement. Fun management and employees.
Urban Outfitters
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 June 2012
Overall, it would be a much better place to work if they had better organizational skills and more constant opportunity for feedback.

. From the moment you start, there's really not much you've been told on and there's honestly not much to do; you either greet, go in fitting rooms, shoes, the men's section or sale.

. I've only really learnt how to fold clothes; full-fold, board-folding and quarter folding. That's the only memorable moment for me.

. The one thing that's been a constant bother for me since the start of 2011 though is the bad scheduling; from the holidays onward, very few people are given consistent hours and that influx greatly influenced my private life.

. My co-workers are fun and easy to work with and relatable and fun; some managers are a bit antsy but overall comfortable and perky at times.

. Also, when on the floor, while you will work, you will be probably often times with various managers, but you're only reviewed only once a year and you're never sure by whom. Otherwise, you're rarely given an update on how you've progressed.
Pros
good product and flexible scheduling
Cons
bad scheduling and no real room nor incentive for advancement