Urban Outfitters Inc.

Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
great place!
Key holder/ sales associate (Current Employee), edmontonSeptember 1, 2014
cool place to work but hours were not compatible with school.
A workplace that truly under appreciates their employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, OnApril 2, 2014
Pros: discount can be used online, coworkers all around the same age
Cons: no hours, short breaks, they don't care about you
I worked for this company as a sales associate for almost a year. For an extremely long time they only gave me on-calls and said it was because their were no hours to give. They were lying, the store employed over 40 sales associates, and only about 10 of them were consistently getting hours; people who have worked there for over a year would literally – more... get one on-call a week, and this would go on for months. How did they decide to solve this? By having open group interviews and hiring more people. They do not care about their employees and will show you no appreciation until you decide to quit, and they will hire 5 people to take your place (and these 5 people will take hours away from everybody else who have been working there for a year). – less
Urban Outfitters Dix30
Womens Department Manager (Current Employee), Brossard, QCNovember 9, 2013
Cons: un paid overtime
- working in a slow pace store allows more time to get projects done. however, I would much rather work somewhere fast pace

- managers are often on the same page, but occasionally there is conflict brought upon us by the store manager

- hardest part of the job is assuring things get done on their deadline

- most enjoyable part is working with clothes – more... and being able to style and merchandise how we want – less
Great employee perks, fun working environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), London, ONSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: fun working environment
Cons: little staff amenities
Great employee benefits, Great sales floor environment, Room for advancement.
fun place to work, high turnover
Team Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2013
fun and fast driven environment to work in
not much room for growth if working from the bottom
customer service wasn't at the forefront of priorities
Good
assisting clients (Former Employee), edmonton, abApril 26, 2013
It was an enjoyable place to work as a student. The managment were great and made real connections with the employees, which was nice
Fun and relaxed environment
Sales associate (Current Employee), kingstonMarch 31, 2013
Easy going - mostly involves folding/running clothes onto the floor. Little push for customer involvement. Fun management and employees.
Urban Outfitters
Sales associate (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 26, 2012
Pros: good product and flexible scheduling
Cons: bad scheduling and no real room nor incentive for advancement
Overall, it would be a much better place to work if they had better organizational skills and more constant opportunity for feedback.

. From the moment you start, there's really not much you've been told on and there's honestly not much to do; you either greet, go in fitting rooms, shoes, the men's section or sale.

. I've only really learnt how to – more... fold clothes; full-fold, board-folding and quarter folding. That's the only memorable moment for me.

. The one thing that's been a constant bother for me since the start of 2011 though is the bad scheduling; from the holidays onward, very few people are given consistent hours and that influx greatly influenced my private life.

. My co-workers are fun and easy to work with and relatable and fun; some managers are a bit antsy but overall comfortable and perky at times.

. Also, when on the floor, while you will work, you will be probably often times with various managers, but you're only reviewed only once a year and you're never sure by whom. Otherwise, you're rarely given an update on how you've progressed. – less
Wonderful place to work...
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE/VISUAL DISPLAY ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 18, 2014
Pros: excellent work environment!
Cons: could pay a little more.
Urban Outfitters is about team work and expression. Teaches you how to work with awesomely talented creative individuals who love beauty and fashion!
Cool Place to work
Display Artist for Textile Showroom (Current Employee), new york new yorkDecember 17, 2014
Pros: creative environment
Cons: super tight display budgets
Urban Display is a cool work environment, perfect for recent graduate or student looking to finish school.

The pay could definitely be better and smaller stores often have sometimes unrealistic budgets for what is expected

usually early shifts but getting out early is definitely a perk
Plenty of room to learn and grow
Department Manager (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNDecember 15, 2014
The best part of the job is the people. Everyone works hard and has a strong sense of shared fate.
great managers and good coworkers and wonderful work environment
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PADecember 3, 2014
Pros: good environment, good team mentality, good opportunities
Cons: tough hours, on calls
The main goal of this company is making an enjoyable experience for customers. There were many duties performed daily including greeting all customers and being free to help them at any time. I was also trained on the registers and used them almost every day i work. The most important thing I've learned from this job is how much goes into a company. – more... This was a protocol store and I got to learn and be a part of a lot of "behind the scenes" parts of the store that not many people got to see. My managers are simply amazing. I have close relationships with a few of them, and I feel as though they were very fair. They are role models for me, and I admire them for the good job they do in creating a team that does so much. Same goes for my co-workers. The environment of the job was so friendly and made me feel very welcome. I think the most challenging part of this job simply was simply solving some of the customers' issues. I find it difficult sometimes to find a balance between what the customer wants and and what we can do for them. I also found the hours somewhat stressful. The hours can be very long and late and I just am not a person who did well with the "on-call) shifts. My most favorite part about this job is the community. We are all apart of such a close team that helped and taught each other. That was made me want to come to work and work hard. – less
part time working at UO
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Plano, TXDecember 2, 2014
as being a part time employee you always got to make sure the store is picked up and ready for the next customer to look at it and making sure the customers are happy which i think everyone did an amazing part in it.
Stressful work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 23, 2014
A typical work day was being stationed in a certain area and maintaing that area. I was able to take on more responsibility the longer I was there. I helped with merchandising and leading other associates.
Depends on the store
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Seattle, WANovember 22, 2014
Pros: amazing discount for family and one friend.
Cons: short breaks, no hours.
My old store was cool and fun with an awesome staff. My new store that is 15 years old is very odd to me.
Fun Environment
Retail Assistant (Current Employee), Kensington, ENGNovember 17, 2014
The workers are very friendly and the environment is a nice place to work in the high street Kensington store of the urban outfitters. It also has good benefits when it comes to discounts to the staff who currently works there. I am really happy to work there.
Productive.
stock room (Former Employee), Queens, NYNovember 16, 2014
Cons: long breaks
A typical day of work was normal.
I learned how to manage my responsibility in a certain way.
My co-workers were good.
The hardest part was to get there because is too far from where I live.
The hardest part wasn't enough for me to travel.
The most enjoyable part was share with my co-workers.
Energetic People makes for a pleasant environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 13, 2014
Pros: plenty of lunch spots nearby.
Cons: i can't think of any.
The staff I work with are so full of life. I am already an energetic person, so to have others around me that reciprocate my energy is fun. Everybody get along which mean there is little to zero problems between us co-workers. To me, the hardest part of the job is being on your feet. But since we are constantly moving around, I sometime don't notice – more... until I get home. – less
cool workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), King Of PrussiaNovember 13, 2014
Pros: wonderful and diverse work enviornment
Cons: temporary position
During my stay at urban outfitters I learned a lot about style and being up-to-date on what's hot! The employees were easy going yet edgy. The job was pretty even paced at times and was a fairly great place to work.
Pros and Cons
Sales Specialist/Audit and sale visual (Former Employee), Baltimore, MarylandNovember 10, 2014
Pros: i would not reference this job to anyone looking for a career path.
Cons: pay rate is not competitive
The pros about working at UO are that its not an uptight environment. The company is about creating a positive vibe within the store that fosters creativity. There isn't really a dress code. Just express who you are. The employee discount is pretty fair. The company is also currently in a transition of the positive.The quality is getting better, they – more... are using real leather, but with that the price is also increasing. I feel that the shift will take a while however I have already seen great advances from the company in this ambition. I feel that this breeds a positive outlook that the company will continue to get more streamlined however when it comes to operations they are decently organized but for the established company that they are they still have some obvious things that need to be addressed. Overall, if you work hard and communicate where you want to go they are very good at promoting from within! You will have to work your way up the ladder however. The benefits are only available to Management like most retail, (401K, Great health, dental and vision, life insurance, even perks like discounts at apple and other retailers for being an urban employee)
Cons

Company needs to streamline operations at store level to allow for more efficiency. You are expected to oversee too many operations and directives as a manager. (Merchandising, business, training, hiring, logistics, everything.)
Advice to Management

The structure of the positions needs to be more clearly defined. for example have a visual team that only does visuals, and let the department managers just focus on business. The store is too large and dynamic to hold the entire team responsible for everything. There needs to be more division and this will lead to less communication problems and a more productive work environment. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Urban Outfitters Inc.

Urban Outfitters, Inc. is a lifestyle specialty retail company that operates under the Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Free People – Read more