Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews

Pays well but I hated going in.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2017
The management at Anthropologie was so weak, the girls were so rude to a first-time sales associate, decided to not train me and gave me so many tasks on my first day of work. On school nights I had to stay until 1am sometimes because they'd cut 2 or 3 of the girls for that shift and 3 of us would have to close the entire store on our own.

The perks of being in the company were good, there were so many good discounts and benefits from working here to be honest. But it wasn't an enjoyable place to work.
Benefits
Cons
management
Productive, fun workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 February 2017
Urban Outfitters is a great environment, and amazing people to work with. I am currently taking Fashion Merchandising at Fanshawe college and I am gaining so much experience here.

I have work at Urban Outfitter almost 9 months now and it's gone by so quickly. The management team is very knowledgeable in what they are doing and help me learn in a positive way.

I would not have choose anywhere else as my first retail job. They have become family to me. I love all that Urban stands for. Diversity, customer value, employee value and just genuinely having fun and working towards success while doing it.

I would encourage anyone to work at Urban Outfitters , London
STR 177

-R
Difficult, but not the worst retail job in the world
'Specialist' (Glorified Sales Associate) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2017
The vibe and the people were great and we did some awesome events and they always had stuff going on for employees to submit to, but then we got a new store manager who immediately culled the people who didn't fit his standard and had worked there for literal years and rehired multiple new employees. I worked really hard for this store because I liked it and it was a steady job with what seemed like opportunities, but still got fired ('let go') with no warning or chances to improve. Others did as well, so hopefully this doesn't come across as a salty employee trying to get back.

The job itself was fun, with a bit of pressure to sell and get people to sign up for the rewards program, but nothing unreasonable. The people you work with really feel like your friends and it's fun to go to work. The associate's job is mostly cleaning and keeping an eye out for shoplifters, but back stock is really great if you can handle it. It can be a bit stressful with all the shipments coming in at once and nowhere to put it all. I mostly did restock and organizing the front end, which is fast paced and kind of boring sometimes, but not complicated.

If you're looking at this specific location be very careful of management. There's a lot more drama going on than it seems and a lot of factors against you if you're outside their inner circle. I want to say that it's a great job if you do your work and keep your head down, but that didn't even work for a lot of the people who got let go including me. The Christmas season barely met any goals at all too, and by the time I left things
  more... were still going poorly, so I don't know what will have changed or been done since.

I really miss what it was like before and I hope things change for the people that are still there.
Pros
Fun events, great employee culture, decent discounts
Cons
Managers
Had a fun experience there overall
Sales Associate and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 March 2017
Salary and hours are the biggest problems at urban outfitters. But from what I have seen in the world of retail, it is indeed one of the most interesting, creative place to work.
Friendly Welcoming Enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON18 May 2016
The Managment at Urban Outfitters is very positive and professional. Urban Outfitters is great at getting employees at all levels involved with the company, through regional challenges, encouraging instagram submissions, well as using bi weekly newsletters that keep everyone updated about new products and promotions.
Fun place to work
Visual Merchandiser and Display (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D20 May 2013
Typical day in work was see the morning targets. Walk around shop floor. Do a floor grid of were to put new merchandise. Merchandise clothes. Create new Displays and style customers.

I learned alot in Urban Outfitters. To be out there with creativity. Thinking outside the box.

Management could have been nicer. But at the end of the day they had a job to do.

Co-workers were great. Lovely bunch of people. All them were different. Different personalities.

The hardest part of the job was when you had so much merchandise and you had to make it work. You would try everything and move everything around and finally keep calm and sorted it. Also the wages were so low. Not right when you work so hard.

Most enjoyable part is seeing people appreciate your displays n styling.
Pros
met loads of great people
Cons
long hours and low wages
working
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 July 2016
it was great. I loved the people the staff and the environment there is was an awesome experience. I learned a lot working here I taught new things that could elevate me higher into the company if I desired.
fun energetic work place
Sales Associate/Backstock Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2016
always exciting product fun people and plenty of opportunity to grow within teh company good management listen to you and can help tyou achieve your goal what ever it may be.
Loved the people
Men's Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2016
The management team was really strong at my first location, then at my second location my management team had failed to do what a management team should. My coworkers and customers were amazing.
Fun place to work with very kind people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 May 2016
I learned many skills that will help me with other retail jobs. I learned how to properly interact with customers and learned out to push products onto customers without being too forward. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I am able to help a customer find what they want (rewarding feeling).
Pros
Disocunt
Cons
Short Hours
Productive and fun workplace along with the assisting and communication with customers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2016
My job allowed me to work with customers in helping them with any trouble that have regarding the store.You are taught to engage with the customers in an orderly manner enforcing the few sales that may be part of the store.
Very biased and demanding job, was not a safe working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 January 2016
At Urban Outfitters, the managers were known to pick favourites and single out employees who didn't work to the certain managers needs. They would harass employees and make them feel worthless when they carried out a task incorrectly. All around, I would not recommend Urban Outfitters for a student looking for a part time job, as it feels like you are constantly pressured to fit into a cookie cutter image that you can't be.
Only perk is the discount
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Canada15 February 2016
The hours were terrible, everyone except the team leaders got anything from 0 to 20 hours a week at most. Each shifts are 5 hours.
The funny part is how the company displays a 'cool and hipster' image yet is owned by republicans.
I've spent more money than I've ever earned. 40% off all clothing and 60% off for 3 items a month for house brands.
It's a nice second job for you to upkeep your wardrobe.
Great employee perks, fun working environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 September 2013
Great employee benefits, Great sales floor environment, Room for advancement.
Pros
Fun working environment
Cons
Little staff amenities
Fun, Productive place to work
Full time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 January 2016
At times it is overwhelming but outgoing coworkers always make the day run smoother. Customer service is an asset. Most enjoyable part is connecting with customers and making their shopping experience a great one. Hardest part of the job is working extremely hard for not very good pay.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Stressful and below substantial pay
Urban Outfitters
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 June 2012
Overall, it would be a much better place to work if they had better organizational skills and more constant opportunity for feedback.

. From the moment you start, there's really not much you've been told on and there's honestly not much to do; you either greet, go in fitting rooms, shoes, the men's section or sale.

. I've only really learnt how to fold clothes; full-fold, board-folding and quarter folding. That's the only memorable moment for me.

. The one thing that's been a constant bother for me since the start of 2011 though is the bad scheduling; from the holidays onward, very few people are given consistent hours and that influx greatly influenced my private life.

. My co-workers are fun and easy to work with and relatable and fun; some managers are a bit antsy but overall comfortable and perky at times.

. Also, when on the floor, while you will work, you will be probably often times with various managers, but you're only reviewed only once a year and you're never sure by whom. Otherwise, you're rarely given an update on how you've progressed.
Pros
good product and flexible scheduling
Cons
bad scheduling and no real room nor incentive for advancement
Useful experience
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2016
Urban Outfitter integrates different parts of retail jobs in your daily routine. A lot of room to be creative and leave your feedback to the managers. Room to grow and specialize.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Closing followed by opening shifts
Productive and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 February 2016
Many people love the UO brand because its casual and the fashion is quirky and youthful. The day consists of helping out customers and learning about products
Pros
Discount, vinyl
Cons
short hours
A workplace that truly under appreciates their employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, On2 April 2014
I worked for this company as a sales associate for almost a year. For an extremely long time they only gave me on-calls and said it was because their were no hours to give. They were lying, the store employed over 40 sales associates, and only about 10 of them were consistently getting hours; people who have worked there for over a year would literally get one on-call a week, and this would go on for months. How did they decide to solve this? By having open group interviews and hiring more people. They do not care about their employees and will show you no appreciation until you decide to quit, and they will hire 5 people to take your place (and these 5 people will take hours away from everybody else who have been working there for a year).
Pros
discount can be used online, coworkers all around the same age
Cons
no hours, short breaks, they don't care about you
a fun and very organized work place where everyone was your friend.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2015
Urban Outfitters was a very fun place to work and everyone was fun and helpful especially the managers .
although it may have been extremely hectic considering i was working at the mall things seemed to stay pretty organized and on schedule .
The hardest part was keeping up with the extremely high standards the store had , but the most enjoyable part was working in a store where i loved all the product and the people .
Pros
working in an environment i love .
Cons
How busy the mall always is .

64%