Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

Friendly Welcoming Enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 18, 2016
The Managment at Urban Outfitters is very positive and professional. Urban Outfitters is great at getting employees at all levels involved with the company, through regional challenges, encouraging instagram submissions, well as using bi weekly newsletters that keep everyone updated about new products and promotions.
Fun place to work with very kind people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 14, 2016
I learned many skills that will help me with other retail jobs. I learned how to properly interact with customers and learned out to push products onto customers without being too forward. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I am able to help a customer find what they want (rewarding feeling).
Pros
Disocunt
Cons
Short Hours
Loved the people
Men's Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
The management team was really strong at my first location, then at my second location my management team had failed to do what a management team should. My coworkers and customers were amazing.
working
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 22, 2016
it was great. I loved the people the staff and the environment there is was an awesome experience. I learned a lot working here I taught new things that could elevate me higher into the company if I desired.
Very biased and demanding job, was not a safe working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 31, 2016
At Urban Outfitters, the managers were known to pick favourites and single out employees who didn't work to the certain managers needs. They would harass employees and make them feel worthless when they carried out a task incorrectly. All around, I would not recommend Urban Outfitters for a student looking for a part time job, as it feels like you are constantly pressured to fit into a cookie cutter image that you can't be.
Only perk is the discount
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  CanadaFebruary 15, 2016
The hours were terrible, everyone except the team leaders got anything from 0 to 20 hours a week at most. Each shifts are 5 hours.
The funny part is how the company displays a 'cool and hipster' image yet is owned by republicans.
I've spent more money than I've ever earned. 40% off all clothing and 60% off for 3 items a month for house brands.
It's a nice second job for you to upkeep your wardrobe.
Fun, Productive place to work
Full time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 19, 2016
At times it is overwhelming but outgoing coworkers always make the day run smoother. Customer service is an asset. Most enjoyable part is connecting with customers and making their shopping experience a great one. Hardest part of the job is working extremely hard for not very good pay.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Stressful and below substantial pay
Useful experience
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 13, 2016
Urban Outfitter integrates different parts of retail jobs in your daily routine. A lot of room to be creative and leave your feedback to the managers. Room to grow and specialize.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Closing followed by opening shifts
Productive and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 16, 2016
Many people love the UO brand because its casual and the fashion is quirky and youthful. The day consists of helping out customers and learning about products
Pros
Discount, vinyl
Cons
short hours
Great employee perks, fun working environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 12, 2013
Great employee benefits, Great sales floor environment, Room for advancement.
Pros
fun working environment
Cons
little staff amenities
Fun place to work
Visual Merchandiser and Display (Former Employee) –  Dublin, DMay 20, 2013
Typical day in work was see the morning targets. Walk around shop floor. Do a floor grid of were to put new merchandise. Merchandise clothes. Create new Displays and style customers.

I learned alot in Urban Outfitters. To be out there with creativity. Thinking outside the box.

Management could have been nicer. But at the end of the day they had a job to do.

Co-workers were great. Lovely bunch of people. All them were different. Different personalities.

The hardest part of the job was when you had so much merchandise and you had to make it work. You would try everything and move everything around and finally keep calm and sorted it. Also the wages were so low. Not right when you work so hard.

Most enjoyable part is seeing people appreciate your displays n styling.
Pros
met loads of great people
Cons
long hours and low wages
Friendly and organized work environment where deserve to enjoy
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 2, 2015
Great experiences that I gained from this company. Skills to customer services, and it is a nice place that manager support your work, and have more constant opportunity for feedback.
Pros
Good product and employee discount
Cons
short break
Amazing vibe, amazing people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  CalgaryAugust 17, 2015
Working for Urban Outfitters in Calgary was one of the best experiences I've had at any job. Everyone worked together well, and were extremely nice. Urban Outfitters encourages the idea of Peers Teaching Peers which allowed an open and professional communication line between the managers, team leaders, and sales associate.
Lots of potential growth within the company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 26, 2015
Working at Urban Outfitters has been an overall great experience for me. I am learning more about myself and the kind of person I want to become and develop with the company
Pros
flexible staff
Cons
short breaks
a fun and very organized work place where everyone was your friend.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 9, 2015
Urban Outfitters was a very fun place to work and everyone was fun and helpful especially the managers .
although it may have been extremely hectic considering i was working at the mall things seemed to stay pretty organized and on schedule .
The hardest part was keeping up with the extremely high standards the store had , but the most enjoyable part was working in a store where i loved all the product and the people .
Pros
working in an environment i love .
Cons
how busy the mall always is .
Urban Outfitters
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 26, 2012
Overall, it would be a much better place to work if they had better organizational skills and more constant opportunity for feedback.

. From the moment you start, there's really not much you've been told on and there's honestly not much to do; you either greet, go in fitting rooms, shoes, the men's section or sale.

. I've only really learnt how to fold clothes; full-fold, board-folding and quarter folding. That's the only memorable moment for me.

. The one thing that's been a constant bother for me since the start of 2011 though is the bad scheduling; from the holidays onward, very few people are given consistent hours and that influx greatly influenced my private life.

. My co-workers are fun and easy to work with and relatable and fun; some managers are a bit antsy but overall comfortable and perky at times.

. Also, when on the floor, while you will work, you will be probably often times with various managers, but you're only reviewed only once a year and you're never sure by whom. Otherwise, you're rarely given an update on how you've progressed.
Pros
good product and flexible scheduling
Cons
bad scheduling and no real room nor incentive for advancement
A workplace that truly under appreciates their employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OnApril 2, 2014
I worked for this company as a sales associate for almost a year. For an extremely long time they only gave me on-calls and said it was because their were no hours to give. They were lying, the store employed over 40 sales associates, and only about 10 of them were consistently getting hours; people who have worked there for over a year would literally get one on-call a week, and this would go on for months. How did they decide to solve this? By having open group interviews and hiring more people. They do not care about their employees and will show you no appreciation until you decide to quit, and they will hire 5 people to take your place (and these 5 people will take hours away from everybody else who have been working there for a year).
Pros
discount can be used online, coworkers all around the same age
Cons
no hours, short breaks, they don't care about you
Casual Workplace
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  VancouverApril 8, 2015
A typical work day consists of helping customers and cleaning up. Honestly its not that hard of a job, the employees have a cool kid vibe but they're all really nice. I liked that we were allowed to wear whatever we wanted.
Pros
nice discount, freedom to wear whatever
Cons
cliques
Urban Outfitters Dix30
Womens Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QCNovember 9, 2013
- working in a slow pace store allows more time to get projects done. however, I would much rather work somewhere fast pace

- managers are often on the same page, but occasionally there is conflict brought upon us by the store manager

- hardest part of the job is assuring things get done on their deadline

- most enjoyable part is working with clothes and being able to style and merchandise how we want
Cons
un paid overtime
A great place full of great people
Women's Accessories Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioApril 5, 2015
As a manager, typically we would spend part of our shift tending to department responsibilities and tasks to ensure we are improving business in comparison to the previous year. This would include working with merchandisers to ensure that product was being properly and evenly represented in the store, referring to data reports to see how changes in merchandising have hurt or improved business for specific item classes, sharing product knowledge with staff to ensure they were able to not only sell the product but find a way to connect with the customer as they do it, and back-of-house organization. What I've learned from this position is that using your people and proper delegation is important for being able to accomplish all of the demands of the job. It is easy to fall into the habit of wanting complete control, however realistically, one cannot run a department on their own. In terms of management, I felt a lot of support from my fellow managers. Out of all of the department managers, I was the newest, and they were always willing to give me a hand or give me tips or criticism when I needed it in order for the store to thrive. My staff was the best part of the job because I made a point of seeing them as people as not as subordinates. I respected them and in turn they appreciated me as a manager and were always willing to do what I asked without push-back. The hardest part of the job was probably the conflict of direction from upper management, which was consistent in our store. However, through that, I was able to learn how to prioritize and not get caught up in  more... the confusion. Lastly, the most enjoyable part of the job was that I worked with real people who were able to perform their job beyond the minimum requirement and still have a good time doing it. The success of our store was at it's highest when we as a whole team felt a strong sense of support and positive energy.  less
Pros
Making great connections with my co-workers and customers
Cons
Conflict of direction from upper management

Urban Outfitters Inc. Reviews by Location