Urban Outfitters Inc.

Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It was alright
Sales Associate (Former Employee), London, OnDecember 20, 2014
I love Urban Outfitters. I love the vibe and the brands and everything. I couldn't stand the gossip though in my placement. That was the onllything
great place!
Key holder/ sales associate (Current Employee), edmontonSeptember 1, 2014
cool place to work but hours were not compatible with school.
A workplace that truly under appreciates their employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, OnApril 2, 2014
Pros: discount can be used online, coworkers all around the same age
Cons: no hours, short breaks, they don't care about you
I worked for this company as a sales associate for almost a year. For an extremely long time they only gave me on-calls and said it was because their were no hours to give. They were lying, the store employed over 40 sales associates, and only about 10 of them were consistently getting hours; people who have worked there for over a year would literally get one on-call a week, and this would go on for months. How did they decide to solve this? By having open group interviews and hiring more people. They do not care about their employees and will show you no appreciation until you decide to quit, and they will hire 5 people to take your place (and these 5 people will take hours away from everybody else who have been working there for a year).
Urban Outfitters Dix30
Womens Department Manager (Current Employee), Brossard, QCNovember 9, 2013
Cons: un paid overtime
- working in a slow pace store allows more time to get projects done. however, I would much rather work somewhere fast pace

- managers are often on the same page, but occasionally there is conflict brought upon us by the store manager

- hardest part of the job is assuring things get done on their deadline

- most enjoyable part is working with clothes and being able to style and merchandise how we want
fun place to work, high turnover
Team Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2013
fun and fast driven environment to work in
not much room for growth if working from the bottom
customer service wasn't at the forefront of priorities
Fun place to work
Visual Merchandiser and Display (Former Employee), Dublin, DMay 20, 2013
Pros: met loads of great people
Cons: long hours and low wages
Typical day in work was see the morning targets. Walk around shop floor. Do a floor grid of were to put new merchandise. Merchandise clothes. Create new Displays and style customers.

I learned alot in Urban Outfitters. To be out there with creativity. Thinking outside the box.

Management could have been nicer. But at the end of the day they had a job to do.

Co-workers were great. Lovely bunch of people. All them were different. Different personalities.

The hardest part of the job was when you had so much merchandise and you had to make it work. You would try everything and move everything around and finally keep calm and sorted it. Also the wages were so low. Not right when you work so hard.

Most enjoyable part is seeing people appreciate your displays n styling.
Good
assisting clients (Former Employee), edmonton, abApril 26, 2013
It was an enjoyable place to work as a student. The managment were great and made real connections with the employees, which was nice
Fun and relaxed environment
Sales associate (Current Employee), kingstonMarch 31, 2013
Easy going - mostly involves folding/running clothes onto the floor. Little push for customer involvement. Fun management and employees.
Urban Outfitters
Sales associate (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 26, 2012
Pros: good product and flexible scheduling
Cons: bad scheduling and no real room nor incentive for advancement
Overall, it would be a much better place to work if they had better organizational skills and more constant opportunity for feedback.

. From the moment you start, there's really not much you've been told on and there's honestly not much to do; you either greet, go in fitting rooms, shoes, the men's section or sale.

. I've only really learnt how to fold clothes; full-fold, board-folding and quarter folding. That's the only memorable moment for me.

. The one thing that's been a constant bother for me since the start of 2011 though is the bad scheduling; from the holidays onward, very few people are given consistent hours and that influx greatly influenced my private life.

. My co-workers are fun and easy to work with and relatable and fun; some managers are a bit antsy but overall comfortable and perky at times.

. Also, when on the floor, while you will work, you will be probably often times with various managers, but you're only reviewed only once a year and you're never sure by whom. Otherwise, you're rarely given an update on how you've progressed.
Great three locations
Towson, MD (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 21, 2015
Working for three locations I met some fantastic people who are life long friends. It was a great experience and I was able to learn about customer service.
Fun alternative atmosphere
Department Manager (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 21, 2015
I loved being apart of this team, training all new and seasonal associates on sales and customer and being apart of all visual merchandising projects.
arrogant company not familiar with correct HR methods.
Men's & Homeware Department Manager at Manchester (Former Employee), Manchester, ENGJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: long hours, underpaid, under appreciated.
in my opinion the most over worked yet under paid and under appreciated company I have ever worked for. unprofessional and borderline illegal hours of work and work load. the quality of the products were poor and overpriced, the mark up was the most crazy I have ever seen in a shop and the worst team work I have ever seen.
different fashion approach in a ironic way
Women's accessories manager (Former Employee), Garden City, NYJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: great fashion, great people
Cons: salaried workload, always going over 40 hours to maintain a comping dept.
A very heavily assorted store in which you must stay n your game, as far as shipment, daily product moves as per sales ect. I learned how to stylize in te way urban outfitters does, and that is irony. Pairing a frilly chiffon dress with beat up combat boots for example. It was a very different approach on fashion. The most enjoyable part of the job was its diverse people and culture. Fresh ideas and different ways of looking at fashion and merchandizing as a whole.
Productive environment but over worked.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), 1511 Third Avenue New York NY 10028-2104January 12, 2015
Had to stock the floor every morning and since understaffed, it was 10x more work to close up the store. Learned about different create aspects for running a store even learning about what customers are attracted to. The hardest part was closing the store because since it was understaffed at night and two floors of a bunch of fixtures with tossed clothing around and accessories.
an amazing environment and amazing peope to work with
sales (Current Employee), tysonsJanuary 8, 2015
Everyday is a new learning day and way to expand your experience
being a team player is the way we go every day ..
I
Never get any hours.
Associate (Former Employee), Asheville, NCJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: cool coworkers, discount, easy work
Cons: on call shifts that take over your life for free, no hours, imminent homelessness
So, if you want a job where you get virtually no real hours and an excess of unpaid "on call" shifts that prevent you from having any kind of life (not that a life would be any fun anyway, because you will be unable to afford food and will be digging for scraps out of the trash next to your new home on the park bench) then this is the job for you! You do get a discount on all the hip merchandise, which you can share with the fam. That's a lucky break because you certainly can't afford it yourself. Incidentally, they will let you wear goodwill clothes to work if you look sufficiently UO. Needless to say, wearing used clothes makes it easy to blend in among the rows of new clothes made to look used...well I guess they call it "vintage". My coworkers were all great there though. It is the company itself which likes to pinch pennies and over hire and put the unnecessary employees on call so they can pay the absolute minimum number of employees needed on an hour by hour basis. God forbid they pay an extra 7.25-8 bucks to their squalor-dwelling employees. They say you get fewer on call shifts if you stick around long enough, but I was quickly wasting away and couldn't stick it out.
Unorgnized but fun environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYJanuary 6, 2015
Everything was cool about working there, the only problem I had was with management. They didn't communicate with each other when changes were being made & tasks (well at my location) But co workers was cool, you can really express you're style & coolest customers!
positive workplace with fun people
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2015
customer service, cashier, store maintenance, and fitting room. daily duties of a sales associate at a retail clothing store in chicago gold coast.
Standard Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2015
Typical retail environment. A more hip and fun focus, but generally similar to many other retail clothing employers.
Productive work place ans easy going management
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Manhattan, NYJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: employee discounts, great management
Cons: inconsistent hours
A typical day at work consists of helping customers and providing a clea and shoppable work place.

1 2 3 4 5

About Urban Outfitters Inc.

Urban Outfitters, Inc. is a lifestyle specialty retail company that operates under the Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Free People – Read more