Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews

Fun environment, great product
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 May 2017
I was a department manager for Urban Outfitters for 3 years and this was my second role as management in retail.
I learned a lot about merchandising and how to motivate and encourage staff for excellence.
The hours were very long and demanding but this helped me in my future roles in management.
Pros
Great product, fun
Cons
Very long hoyrs
Creative Retail Brand
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2017
Fun working environment with great people and great product. A very creative retailer that's constantly changing it's merchandising and displays. Up beat and fast paced work environment with great discount and room to advance.
Pros
Great people to work with
Great atmosphere & experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 April 2017
This was my first job and it gave me experience interacting with customers in a usually fast-paced environment. The atmosphere of the store as well as coworkers were great. The downside was that because we were so many employees at our location, it was difficult to get hours.
Had a fun experience there overall
Sales Associate and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 March 2017
Salary and hours are the biggest problems at urban outfitters. But from what I have seen in the world of retail, it is indeed one of the most interesting, creative place to work.
Difficult, but not the worst retail job in the world
'Specialist' (Glorified Sales Associate) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2017
The vibe and the people were great and we did some awesome events and they always had stuff going on for employees to submit to, but then we got a new store manager who immediately culled the people who didn't fit his standard and had worked there for literal years and rehired multiple new employees. I worked really hard for this store because I liked it and it was a steady job with what seemed like opportunities, but still got fired ('let go') with no warning or chances to improve. Others did as well, so hopefully this doesn't come across as a salty employee trying to get back.

The job itself was fun, with a bit of pressure to sell and get people to sign up for the rewards program, but nothing unreasonable. The people you work with really feel like your friends and it's fun to go to work. The associate's job is mostly cleaning and keeping an eye out for shoplifters, but back stock is really great if you can handle it. It can be a bit stressful with all the shipments coming in at once and nowhere to put it all. I mostly did restock and organizing the front end, which is fast paced and kind of boring sometimes, but not complicated.

If you're looking at this specific location be very careful of management. There's a lot more drama going on than it seems and a lot of factors against you if you're outside their inner circle. I want to say that it's a great job if you do your work and keep your head down, but that didn't even work for a lot of the people who got let go including me. The Christmas season barely met any goals at all too, and by the time I left things
  more... were still going poorly, so I don't know what will have changed or been done since.

I really miss what it was like before and I hope things change for the people that are still there.
Pros
Fun events, great employee culture, decent discounts
Cons
Managers
Pays well but I hated going in.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2017
The management at Anthropologie was so weak, the girls were so rude to a first-time sales associate, decided to not train me and gave me so many tasks on my first day of work. On school nights I had to stay until 1am sometimes because they'd cut 2 or 3 of the girls for that shift and 3 of us would have to close the entire store on our own.

The perks of being in the company were good, there were so many good discounts and benefits from working here to be honest. But it wasn't an enjoyable place to work.
Benefits
Cons
management
Productive, fun workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 February 2017
Urban Outfitters is a great environment, and amazing people to work with. I am currently taking Fashion Merchandising at Fanshawe college and I am gaining so much experience here.

I have work at Urban Outfitter almost 9 months now and it's gone by so quickly. The management team is very knowledgeable in what they are doing and help me learn in a positive way.

I would not have choose anywhere else as my first retail job. They have become family to me. I love all that Urban stands for. Diversity, customer value, employee value and just genuinely having fun and working towards success while doing it.

I would encourage anyone to work at Urban Outfitters , London
STR 177

-R
Environnement chaleureux
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 January 2017
Très accueillant et endroit agréable où il y a de bons liens entre les travailleurs et les clients également.
Trés bon tremplin
Gérant du département de l'homme (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 August 2016
Urban Outfitters est une très bonne entreprise pour se lancer et évoluer très vite, beaucoup de taches diverses reposent sur vous ce qui est un réel gain d’expérience en un temps record.
working
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 July 2016
it was great. I loved the people the staff and the environment there is was an awesome experience. I learned a lot working here I taught new things that could elevate me higher into the company if I desired.
Friendly Welcoming Enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON18 May 2016
The Managment at Urban Outfitters is very positive and professional. Urban Outfitters is great at getting employees at all levels involved with the company, through regional challenges, encouraging instagram submissions, well as using bi weekly newsletters that keep everyone updated about new products and promotions.
Fun place to work with very kind people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 May 2016
I learned many skills that will help me with other retail jobs. I learned how to properly interact with customers and learned out to push products onto customers without being too forward. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I am able to help a customer find what they want (rewarding feeling).
Pros
Disocunt
Cons
Short Hours
Productive and fun workplace along with the assisting and communication with customers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2016
My job allowed me to work with customers in helping them with any trouble that have regarding the store.You are taught to engage with the customers in an orderly manner enforcing the few sales that may be part of the store.
fun energetic work place
Sales Associate/Backstock Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2016
always exciting product fun people and plenty of opportunity to grow within teh company good management listen to you and can help tyou achieve your goal what ever it may be.
Loved the people
Men's Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2016
The management team was really strong at my first location, then at my second location my management team had failed to do what a management team should. My coworkers and customers were amazing.
Productive and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 February 2016
Many people love the UO brand because its casual and the fashion is quirky and youthful. The day consists of helping out customers and learning about products
Pros
Discount, vinyl
Cons
short hours
Only perk is the discount
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Canada15 February 2016
The hours were terrible, everyone except the team leaders got anything from 0 to 20 hours a week at most. Each shifts are 5 hours.
The funny part is how the company displays a 'cool and hipster' image yet is owned by republicans.
I've spent more money than I've ever earned. 40% off all clothing and 60% off for 3 items a month for house brands.
It's a nice second job for you to upkeep your wardrobe.
Useful experience
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2016
Urban Outfitter integrates different parts of retail jobs in your daily routine. A lot of room to be creative and leave your feedback to the managers. Room to grow and specialize.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Closing followed by opening shifts
Very biased and demanding job, was not a safe working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 January 2016
At Urban Outfitters, the managers were known to pick favourites and single out employees who didn't work to the certain managers needs. They would harass employees and make them feel worthless when they carried out a task incorrectly. All around, I would not recommend Urban Outfitters for a student looking for a part time job, as it feels like you are constantly pressured to fit into a cookie cutter image that you can't be.
Fun, Productive place to work
Full time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 January 2016
At times it is overwhelming but outgoing coworkers always make the day run smoother. Customer service is an asset. Most enjoyable part is connecting with customers and making their shopping experience a great one. Hardest part of the job is working extremely hard for not very good pay.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Stressful and below substantial pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urban Outfitters Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Urban Outfitters Inc. Reviews by Location