Urban Barn Ltd. Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Stock and Operations (Current Employee) –  Ontario7 September 2017
Fun atmosphere, great management for the most part, nice product.

Computer system isn't super user friendly and can be a challenge. You are required to hang art work, move furniture, merchandise, etc which can be a lot of fun if you're into it.

If you are in sales, pay is base plus commission. The base could be higher (compared to industry standard). It can get competitive at times and somewhat stressful at times.

Generally, this has been a fun place to work and I've met a lot of really great people.
Pros
Incentives, commission, trendy, forward thinking, fun, organized, great support system
Cons
Low wages, not a lot of room for growth
Competitive, yet friendly, work environment
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 September 2017
If you're up for a challenge, but also don't mind doing the nitty gritty work, it's great! You have to be willing to put in the hard work, but if you do, it'll pay off. There's lots of tasking (i.e. cleaning, visual presentation, etc), but if you're able to complete tasks quickly, there's always time for selling. The staff are amazing, and management is definitely there for you, and on your side - it's always good to know your boss has your back! Meeting all the clients that come into Urban Barn is really what makes the job though - getting to see how happy a person is once they have found the right furniture for their home.
Cons
concrete floors
Great teams but poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 August 2017
If you are lucky enough to get a great team, it is a really great place to work. But beyond good coworkers, there is not much positive reinforcement to continue to work for the company. Originally I was told there would always be availability to move up/develop within the company which is why I took the job. And despite having regional managers that are responsible for reviewing their stores and teams, all they focus on is numbers. So, even if you do all the work to maintain the store and coach your staff and have great reviews from your team and managers, if you don't have the sales/numbers they want - they will not promote you. You are only a number to them.

Even when inquiring for positions higher up in the company, I have had regional managers laugh at my employees even when they have great recommendation and say everyone wants that, with no professionalism or suggestions of how they can achieve their goal.

It does not feel like a company who is interested in promoting hard workers internally. I have known a number of great employees who left the company due to poor management from the regional manager.

Also, proper communication from head office, customer service and warehouses are inefficient and leave you dealing with customers without answers and support most of the time.
Pros
Team Environment, Staff Discount, Great Products
Cons
Poor management, no development within the company
Great friends and family atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 August 2017
-low pay (each year they do an evaluation based on performance, average annual raise is $0.10, and 2.6% commission is given)
-friendly staff
-fun environment
Staff Is Like Family & Fantastic Work Environment
Stock/Visual Presentation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON31 July 2017
I loved my time at Urban Barn. It is a great store with quality items. The staff instantly welcomes you and treats you like family. Could not imagine a better work environment in that type of industry! The companies guidelines and mottos are professional and reasonable and always have the employees along with the customers in mind. Management wants to see you succeed and works with you to help excel where to want to excel. The best part though, is providing style guidance to customers and enjoying their satisfaction in all the hard work you've put in, such great customer loyalty!
Pros
Friendly, Team Building Nights, Reasonable Hours, Constant Learning
Fun and friendly workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 July 2017
-Management is 50/50, entirely based on where you work
- Have chances to use trend/interior design knowledge when assisting customers
-2.5% commission per sale
Pros
lots of shifts, job opportunities, fun contests
Cons
high prices discourage some customers, not all pieces canadian-made, commission disputes
Enjoy My Job
Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2017
Urban barn is a good place to work. I enjoy working with the customers and helping them design their home. I would recommend them as a place to work. They are great
Flexable hours and friendly coworkers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON6 June 2017
Urban Barn is an amazing place to work, part-time or full-time. Hours are flexible and the interactions and relationships you create with coworkers and clients is so rewarding. i truly love my job at Urban Barn.
Pros
pay + commissions
Good place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 June 2017
commission based sales were great to push me to work for my paycheck. the discount on everything helped furnish my home and people were great to work with
Pros
discount
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2017
On a typical work day you do cleaning tasks and greet customers. It is a pretty quiet work place. I learned a lot about furniture and sales techniques. The management is the biggest problem with this place, most times they have no idea what they are doing and unfortunately it brings down the rest of the team. Management also causes this workplace to very disorganised. For the most part everyone gets along well in the work place, although some commission issues due arise we always find a way to work through them. It is a fun job and you get to meet new people but it can be frustrating when you don't have the proper tools to do your job.

Want to know more about Urban Barn Ltd.?

Ask a question
One of the best environments a person can hope to work in
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC4 May 2017
- I cannot wait to get to work each day and learn more about all the products Urban Barn has to offer. There are always new products and knowledgeable staff who are readily available when I've had questions or need to learn more to better serve my customers.

- Although employed a short period of time I have gained much knowledge and felt completely at home and happy with the staff and management here.

- A positive upbeat environment from the beginning to the end of the day with new learning experiences so I can improve.

- Diverse and welcoming to everyone no matter what

- Knowledgeable and engaging service that makes the environment exciting and fun for not only staff but the public

- Hardest part of the job is probably getting to know all the options a customer has in purchasing custom but its exciting for not only them but us as staff as well to see all the options one has in designing their home
Pros
Positive environment, Encouraging staff and management, Good hours, Always new and exciting products to learn and discover about, Family and pet friendly environment
Cons
No full time positions at the moment
poor management, great friendly staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 May 2017
Very poor unreliable management. The company appears very high end on the surface but is ultimately very disfunctional. Unrealistic expectations of employees.
A fun, relevant and feel right at home environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC28 April 2017
-I genuinely love what I do, I wouldnt change it for anything (My second home)
-Company shows compassion during unexpected life events.
- A company that cares (open door policy, H/O always available, great upper management.
- Great missions and values
- Understanding and Guidance provided to ensure success
- Great team environment, incentives and encouragement
-Contests and prizes
- "Feel right at home"
Great culture and love the people team! (They ensure life/ work balance and happiness)
- Always looking for ways to improve (employee surveys and action plans.)
Good Place
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 March 2017
I go into work and prepare my day of unloading trucks with furniture.
I wrap up crates of furniture to prepare for deliver to other stores in the Toronto and other Ontario locations.
No chance for growth
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2017
Manager was very mean and wasn't patient with new comers.
Pay was horrible, and traffic was slow that effected sales and commission.
Co-workers were catty and not very helpful.
Pros
Cons
Absolutely Nothing
ok...not a decent place to earn money
Design Consultant/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB15 February 2017
ok place to work...salary is disappointingly low...management is very premature...hard work for minimum wage
advancement is pretty much non egzistent.
Pros
fun team
Cons
high expecations
Head Office (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC14 February 2017
The staff are so welcoming, they really know how to make you feel right at home. The culture they have created is amazing; fresh, innovative, vibrant and creative. Lots to learn when coming on board but you have a great supportive team!
Pros
Growth & Development
Terrible
Stock Associate/Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2016
This job starts out decent until you realize that management is incompetent, salary and benefits are laughable and being rewarded for good work is virtually non existent.

If you have personal things going on in your life they don't matter. You are expected to be there regardless if you need some time off. The only exception would be if a family member died then you get 3 days but only if it was an immediate relative.

Management has no idea what is going on and mine in particular was super fake. She definitely made it a hostile work environment by making everyone uncomfortable when she was in a bad mood. I went a month without a single word from my store manager unless she came to talk to me and was condescending. Completely different story when the Regional Manager or Visual Merchandiser showed up at the store. She puts on such a good show that they had no idea what was really going on. Sales are all that matter and the day to day operations don't get any recognition.

If you were seen taking a 5 minute break you were in trouble. Everyone was expected to be doing something at all times and you'd get a talking to if you weren't.

The charity this company does is pathetic. With one store in Calgary making 4.5 million dollars ALONE you'd think they would be a little bit more generous with their charity. They donate "blankets" to women's shelters. Which would be great, if the blankets would actually keep anyone warm. They are the size of blanket that would be ideal for a small child and cost $5. Who knows where the $5 goes.

Coworkers for the most part are good. and
  more... the most enjoyable part of this job is going home.  less
Pros
40% discount on product if you like anything, decent coworkers
Cons
No variety in products, terrible management, wage and commission ridiculously low for what you are expected to do, "charity is a joke"
Unrealistic expectations, poor training
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2016
I worked close to 60 hours a week running that store. There was zero assistance given from the district manager, and the training was abysmal. The systems are archaic and convoluted, and there seems to be zero direction for the company's image.

What's worse is the staff was paid under minimum wage, and had high sales expectations through budgets. As a manager, you don't get commission on your sales, and you can't pass the sales commission onto the entire staff. So you feel eternally guilty that you're taking money that your staff could easily make, just so you can make some arbitrary sales goal.
Great opportunity to work in high end retail and design
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON29 August 2016
Push to meet your daily, and weekly sales goals, keep store looking visually merchandised, look polished in your appearance. Concrete floors make it hard to stand all day and wear fashion-forward shoes.
Pros
Excellent culture, training program and support, and discount
Cons
Standing on your feet all day, sales goals to meet

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urban Barn Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8