Upside Engineering Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Relaxed atmosphere
Lead Piping Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2015
Pros: Lots of free social events (ice hockey, bowling, billiards tournaments, paintball, x-mas parties as well as other parties sprinkled throughout the year)
Cons: I got laid off along with most of the company when they ran out of work
Great place to work, probably the best job I've ever had. Great work environment which allowed employees to grow, learn, mingle, and had flexible work hours. I'd typically do 9 hour days from Monday-Thursday, and then 4 hours on Friday, which was great; in fact, this schedule was encouraged, yet not forced upon anyone. I was continuously challenged with work load and difficulty level, but I was given the right tools (time and resources) to complete the tasks. This alone allowed me to feel a sense of achievement on a day-to-day basis. The mentality of drafting was always to use more drafting resources towards certain projects to finish them on time, to avoid having to force people into working more than 40 hours per week. My co-workers were fantastic people, the best part about working there really. I've made life-long friends.
Great work environment and fast-paced work responsibilities.
Document Control Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 12, 2013
Pros: great social committee and co-workers
Cons: getting calls at 11pm to issue drawings from project managers
-Checking, Processing, and Issuing drawings and documents. Interacting with the clients and requesting document and drawing information.
-I learned a lot about Document Control and managing individual projects. I grew a lot and gained a lot of skills while at Upside.
-The hardest part of my job would be the learning what is priority and what can wait and in what order to issue certain drawings. The longer I was at Upside it became much easier to know how to prioritize and complete all my tasks.
-The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the data entry, the multi-tasking and getting to be the lead Document Controller on major projects.
Productive place to work!
Project Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 4, 2015
Great place for learning and advancement. I managed small and large projects, handling all aspects from building a strong team, to effectively organizing schedules to meet client requirements and maintaining close watch on the budget to ensure deliverables were produced under budget and on-time.
watch your 6 oclock
Electrical CAD Drafter (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 27, 2015
Pros: up front seemed nice
Cons: when I left I felt like I had several knives in my back.
Worked real hard long hrs but was treated like dirt in return, only 1 of the designers I worked with would I consider working with again, they paid good but good pay isn't worth anything when people treat you like dirt.
Very good working environment and job culture
Electrical Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2015
My typicla day at wor is 9 hours (Monday to Thursday) and 4 hours for Friday.
My co-workers is very nice to me and so my feelling is very comfortable.
I learned lot of things from my leader and co-works, such as some technologies.
Productive and Fun place to work
I&C Technologist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 12, 2015
Pros: Provides opportunities to enhance your skills
Lot of opportunities to learn for new comers. Management is very helpful.
Many Lunch and Learn sessions provided to keep update with latest industy standars and products.
Okay place for project work
Senior Design Lead (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 10, 2015
Responsible for the critical piping and equipment layouts, checking of vendor drawings and equipment designs. Support to the project manager and project management teams to maintain project schedule.
Poor Communication, Flexible Hours
Piping Designer/Drafter (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 20, 2015
Pros: Flexible Hours
Cons: Poor Project Time Managemnt
There's poor communication with a lot of misguided or wasted work hours. There's a lot of finger pointing.
The Flexible Hours are nice.
Intermediate Piping Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 13, 2015
I got along with my manager and enjoyed the work I was given. I learned facility design in depth working on the last project I worked on.
Fun place to work.
Intermediate Structural Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2015
They have a nice new building there. Most people are pretty easy going. They do a few cool team building events every year.
A small EPC company
Senior (Lead) Instrumentation Engineer, P. Eng (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 11, 2014
The hardest part of the job was you need to finish your engineering work without project Spec.
Productive fun place to work
Project/Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 15, 2015
well rounded experience
fun work environment
growing mid size epc company