Upside Engineering Employee Reviews

Unpredictable place of business
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 June 2016
This place can be lots of fun, but also leaves you feeling very uneasy about your job security. The Directors and Management Team are dishonest, and tend to throw each other under the bus. Not very well managed.
Pros
Acknowledgement of hard work
Cons
Unpredictable and bad management
Fun workplace
Senior Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2016
Fun work place with challenging tasks and supportive management team. Interesting and challenging projects to work on. Flexible work time and very good work environment.
I loved the comradely spirit of every Friday's donuts break
Senior Technologist Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2016
Openness to embrace diversity throughout the hiring of many who were just came abroad from different countries, backgrounds and cultures.
Pros
Types of hiring contracts fit for every type of candidate, enabling a greater opportunity for an expedited work opportunity starting.
Cons
Same hiring contracts variety was able to create, a sense of not know what career salary path to expect.
good place to work
Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 November 2015
I got lot of experience working in Upsideengineering, supportive management,fun work place,good team work,i am expecting to be one of best engineering company in Calgary.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
no RRSP sharing
watch your 6 oclock
Electrical CAD Drafter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 May 2015
Worked real hard long hrs but was treated like dirt in return, only 1 of the designers I worked with would I consider working with again, they paid good but good pay isn't worth anything when people treat you like dirt.
Pros
up front seemed nice
Cons
when I left I felt like I had several knives in my back.
Relaxed atmosphere
Lead Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2015
Great place to work, probably the best job I've ever had. Great work environment which allowed employees to grow, learn, mingle, and had flexible work hours. I'd typically do 9 hour days from Monday-Thursday, and then 4 hours on Friday, which was great; in fact, this schedule was encouraged, yet not forced upon anyone. I was continuously challenged with work load and difficulty level, but I was given the right tools (time and resources) to complete the tasks. This alone allowed me to feel a sense of achievement on a day-to-day basis. The mentality of drafting was always to use more drafting resources towards certain projects to finish them on time, to avoid having to force people into working more than 40 hours per week. My co-workers were fantastic people, the best part about working there really. I've made life-long friends.
Pros
Lots of free social events (ice hockey, bowling, billiards tournaments, paintball, x-mas parties as well as other parties sprinkled throughout the year)
Cons
I got laid off along with most of the company when they ran out of work
Productive place to work!
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2015
Great place for learning and advancement. I managed small and large projects, handling all aspects from building a strong team, to effectively organizing schedules to meet client requirements and maintaining close watch on the budget to ensure deliverables were produced under budget and on-time.
Great work environment and fast-paced work responsibilities.
Document Control Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 August 2013
-Checking, Processing, and Issuing drawings and documents. Interacting with the clients and requesting document and drawing information.
-I learned a lot about Document Control and managing individual projects. I grew a lot and gained a lot of skills while at Upside.
-The hardest part of my job would be the learning what is priority and what can wait and in what order to issue certain drawings. The longer I was at Upside it became much easier to know how to prioritize and complete all my tasks.
-The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the data entry, the multi-tasking and getting to be the lead Document Controller on major projects.
Pros
Great social committee and co-workers
Cons
Getting calls at 11pm to issue drawings from Project Managers
Okay place for project work
Senior Design Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2015
Responsible for the critical piping and equipment layouts, checking of vendor drawings and equipment designs. Support to the project manager and project management teams to maintain project schedule.
Very good working environment and job culture
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2015
My typicla day at wor is 9 hours (Monday to Thursday) and 4 hours for Friday.
My co-workers is very nice to me and so my feelling is very comfortable.
I learned lot of things from my leader and co-works, such as some technologies.
Productive and Fun place to work
I&C Technologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 April 2015
Lot of opportunities to learn for new comers. Management is very helpful.
Many Lunch and Learn sessions provided to keep update with latest industy standars and products.
Pros
Provides opportunities to enhance your skills
Poor Communication, Flexible Hours
Piping Designer/Drafter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2015
There's poor communication with a lot of misguided or wasted work hours. There's a lot of finger pointing.
The Flexible Hours are nice.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Poor Project Time Managemnt
Intermediate Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 June 2015
I got along with my manager and enjoyed the work I was given. I learned facility design in depth working on the last project I worked on.
Fun place to work.
Intermediate Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2015
They have a nice new building there. Most people are pretty easy going. They do a few cool team building events every year.
Productive fun place to work
Project/Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 January 2015
well rounded experience
fun work environment
growing mid size epc company
A small EPC company
Senior (Lead) Instrumentation Engineer, P. Eng (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 June 2014
The hardest part of the job was you need to finish your engineering work without project Spec.

2.8