University of Western Ontario

University of Western Ontario Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive Work Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 9, 2013
Pros: everyday learning new research
Cons: work extensively sometimes over nights
The research assistant job gave me the opportunity to acquire my in time management and leadership skills by taking part in group projects and and performing my duties in a timely and efficient manner.

As a research assistant, my daily activities at work would differ, some days doing only research and reviewing the literature and other times I would spend hours writing computer programs. In the meanwhile I had the chance to collaborate with my nice colleagues whom I had nice chat over lunch hours or had series discussions on my research.

The most exciting part of my job was doing something new everyday. Keeping up with the latest research that is going on worldwide.

The most difficult part of the research is the uncertainty in the resolved solution and the ambiguity along with that.
Good place to start your career
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, OntarioApril 9, 2013
Pros: friendly enviroment
Cons: lack od knowledge
It was over all good, but I was not looking for some place with a higher level of real research going on.
Most people there are friendly and fun.
work as copywriter, copy editor, and as private tutor
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Faculty of History, University of Western OntarioMarch 11, 2013
Pros: working with others to help them achieve success
Cons: long hours
As a long-time copywriter and editor, I spend a large portion of each day crafting marketing campaigns and slogans that can be used by local businesses. More than that, I do contribute to some online websites and much of my time is spent assisting high-needs students at the high school and college levels. The hardest part of my work is the careful attention to detail which must always accompany any new marketing campaign; the easiest part is surely the time and opportunity to interact with young students who just want something better for themselves and are searching for answers for their scholastic issues.
Student
Student (Current Employee), London, ONFebruary 24, 2013
Good expirence
Great Layout
Helpfull Staff
Well Managed
Organized
School that has alot of benifits
Orientation Representative (Former Employee), LononJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: varcity football athelete
Cons: none i loved my stay at university of western ontario
A regular day for me would consist of having 4 to 6 hours of class. After class I would have 4 and a half hours of football practice for the big game. Once football practice was over I'd hit the books for another 2 hours.
I loved the fact that I had to be independent and figure out how to organize my time effectively so that I would get the best possible results.
I also loved being around my coaches and team mates because they always motivated me to do my best.
I'd say the hardest part of being at university is waking up for the early classes (which I did).
UWO
Weight Room Supervisor (Former Employee), londonJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: minimum wage
Acquired employment through work placement at university. Job security was need based. Minimum wage, flexible hours.
Placement with Varsity Football team was an enjoyable and rewarding experience. Learned physical training skills and techniques to get the most production from athletes at the highest level of amateur sport.
Great Research Intensive University
Research Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONNovember 7, 2012
Considered Canada’s most beautiful university, Western’s main campus spans 400 acres of Gothic-style buildings mixed with modern, LEED-certified structures provide an idyllic environment for our community of scholars.
Very friendly work environment
Knowledgeable Professors
Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, OntarioOctober 30, 2012
Excellent faculty! Provided ongoing guidance on projects and research initiatives
Great company with supportive environment
Admissions Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 18, 2012
I loved working at UWO and would have continued with my employment however I moved to be with my spouse.
Very Organized and Productive Work Place
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 17, 2012
Pros: working in the same building as my classes, management, organized
Cons: not able to put in extra hours
I would open up the office before the manager was in the building to turn on computers and check e-mails. Organize the products in the office and check for any late returns. File files, call in any late product, reserve any equipment for professors and students, and book and sign out equipment for professors and students.
Management was great. I was able to understand right away what I was supposed to do. I picked up on the job very quick and was able to be self sufficient with out the help of my manager.
There was no co-workers. I was the only secretary working in the office.
I did not find that the job was hard or difficult in any way. I believe most of it was because everything was very straight forward and organized.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the same building that I would have my classes in. It was very convenient for me and it allowed for me to balance school and work very easily.
University life
Adjunct Professor - Department of Chemistry (Former Employee), London, ONSeptember 19, 2012
Independent work atmosphere where one can develop their own style and skills.
Great Place to Work
Visual Arts Shop Technician (Former Employee), London, ONAugust 27, 2012
I worked for UWO while I was a student taking Visual Arts. I got to help many student with their projects, developed life long friendships, and was able to work and study at the same time. The staff at UWO are always concerned about your well being and care about you as a person.
University Work
Warehouse Worker & Truck Driver (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 23, 2012
Pros: super benefit packages
Cons: not much to report
Has being a great work experience working for UWO. Gained alot of friends and met various professional personal. Tough place to get hired on if your trying to apply from outside the University but once in it is great.
Good
Post-doctorate (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 14, 2012
good and beautiful university.
friendly atmosphere.
Management was caring.
co-workers were amazing.
In simulations when your code does not work is the worst part of your job.
Post-secondary at it's best
Student Council Newsletter Editor AND Contributor (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 5, 2012
Large school with focus on students and faculty. Strong student council role within student community.
GOOD PLACE TO WORK
Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONJune 19, 2012
GOOD PLACE TO WORK, EXCELLENT PLACE TO TAKE YOUR DEGREE AND FIND A JOB.
Christopher & Co. Dogwalking (Profits $10,000+)
CEO (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 17, 2012
Pros: managerial work that i enjoy
Recruit associates and train them accordingly
Advertise business throughout the Greater Toronto Area
Divide workload between associates best suitable to their needs
Follow-up on clients weekly
Hold group meetings bi-weekly to ensure everything is running smoothly
University of Western Ontario is a good place for starters.
Research Assistant / Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), London, OntMay 15, 2012
Pros: enough money to survive, nice enviroment
Cons: being in small city like london
University of Western Ontario, in a big university with a good reputation in bushiness, Astronomy, and Medical researches.
I have been there since 2011, and I am studying Astronomy as a master student.
Being Teacher Assistant and Research Assistant, I found a way to earn money, and found a valuable time to experience working in a real life.
After these years now I can say that I have these skills:

Easily supervise 35_45 students
With no problem work with lab instruments and set them up
Have a good skill to solve problems
Good at time management
Work under pressure
Have strong analytical thinking
Work with large Data
Programming skills like Python
Great work that is accommodating to students
Examination Proctor (Former Employee), London, ONApril 6, 2012
Flexible hours, scheduled to proctor exams that you are available for, in a very friendly and enjoyable environment.
Fun, friendly co-workers. Loved going to work every day. Enjoyable work environment
Database Clerk (Former Employee), London ON.December 30, 2011
Pros: mini golf tournament and luncheons
Cons: no cons to report
The people at University of Western Ontario were very accomodating. They made me feel very welcome and they were very helpful in my contract time that I worked for them.

About University of Western Ontario

The University of Western Ontario, which is commonly referred to among Canadian universities as Western or Western University, – Read more