University of Western Ontario Employee Reviews

Supportive study environment for students
Researcher, Educator (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 February 2016
Overall a supportive study environment for students with good resources in the libraries and student support centre.
Great Experience as a TA
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 December 2015
Teaching a graduate class is one of the most valuable experiences I have had. The pressures of maintaining class averages are gone, and the level of intellect from the students and the questions asked in class are much higher compared to undergrad. The graduate teaching programs at UWO are one of the best.
University of Western Ontario is a good place for starters.
Research Assistant / Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Ont15 May 2012
University of Western Ontario, in a big university with a good reputation in bushiness, Astronomy, and Medical researches.
I have been there since 2011, and I am studying Astronomy as a master student.
Being Teacher Assistant and Research Assistant, I found a way to earn money, and found a valuable time to experience working in a real life.
After these years now I can say that I have these skills:

Easily supervise 35_45 students
With no problem work with lab instruments and set them up
Have a good skill to solve problems
Good at time management
Work under pressure
Have strong analytical thinking
Work with large Data
Programming skills like Python
Pros
enough money to survive, nice enviroment
Cons
being in small city like london
Productive Work Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON9 July 2013
The research assistant job gave me the opportunity to acquire my in time management and leadership skills by taking part in group projects and and performing my duties in a timely and efficient manner.

As a research assistant, my daily activities at work would differ, some days doing only research and reviewing the literature and other times I would spend hours writing computer programs. In the meanwhile I had the chance to collaborate with my nice colleagues whom I had nice chat over lunch hours or had series discussions on my research.

The most exciting part of my job was doing something new everyday. Keeping up with the latest research that is going on worldwide.

The most difficult part of the research is the uncertainty in the resolved solution and the ambiguity along with that.
Pros
Everyday learning new research
Cons
work extensively sometimes over nights
work as copywriter, copy editor, and as private tutor
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Faculty of History, University of Western Ontario11 March 2013
As a long-time copywriter and editor, I spend a large portion of each day crafting marketing campaigns and slogans that can be used by local businesses. More than that, I do contribute to some online websites and much of my time is spent assisting high-needs students at the high school and college levels. The hardest part of my work is the careful attention to detail which must always accompany any new marketing campaign; the easiest part is surely the time and opportunity to interact with young students who just want something better for themselves and are searching for answers for their scholastic issues.
Pros
working with others to help them achieve success
Cons
It was a wonderful place and environment of work.
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 December 2015
The work was promising with a good margin of profit till the revolution there began. After that I forced to leave and the plant was closed.
University
Chaz Smallman, Director of Members Family Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto Ontario1 August 2013
Management Studies
University
Learning new Technics
sharing experiences
learning new experiences
Sharing culture
Review of different cultures
Pros
New technics
Cons
Difficult in Para Military Org.
Very Organized and Productive Work Place
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 October 2012
I would open up the office before the manager was in the building to turn on computers and check e-mails. Organize the products in the office and check for any late returns. File files, call in any late product, reserve any equipment for professors and students, and book and sign out equipment for professors and students.
Management was great. I was able to understand right away what I was supposed to do. I picked up on the job very quick and was able to be self sufficient with out the help of my manager.
There was no co-workers. I was the only secretary working in the office.
I did not find that the job was hard or difficult in any way. I believe most of it was because everything was very straight forward and organized.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the same building that I would have my classes in. It was very convenient for me and it allowed for me to balance school and work very easily.
Pros
working in the same building as my classes, management, organized
Cons
not able to put in extra hours
Nice and Productive environment
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON31 March 2015
It was a good experience for me to develop some of my abilities, such as teaching, leadership, researching. and I learn a lot about Canadian culture, working environment, and also people. Now I believe I can have a better understanding of my own way through the life here.
Excellent workplace
Accounts Receivable/Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 February 2014
Very enjoyable workplace, great staff! Very competitive salary
University of Western Ontario
Illustrations Editor Gazette (Current Employee) –  London, Ontario.30 March 2014
It may sound naive or silly,
But it truly is the best working place there is.

We are laid back, but we are serious about the quality of our work. We take the time to relax when we need to and take care of eachothers workload when someone is sick or isn't feeling up to the challenge. We are all seriously motivated individuals who care about our work and our quality of work.
Pros
Creative Atmosphere, Friendly environment, motivated to relax and work hard.
UWO
Weight Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  london17 January 2013
Acquired employment through work placement at university. Job security was need based. Minimum wage, flexible hours.
Placement with Varsity Football team was an enjoyable and rewarding experience. Learned physical training skills and techniques to get the most production from athletes at the highest level of amateur sport.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
minimum wage
Functional place having very professional people.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON20 April 2015
Pay for assistants in every field is low though. One can not blame the university, because all universities have the similar salary range.
Fun work place
Referee (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 March 2015
Fun and great work place, supportive and welcoming. Great place to work on campus, flexible hours and good management.
A great working environment requiring you to be on your A game every day.
Administrative and Support Services (Former Employee) –  London, On30 April 2014
A typical day at work required answering multiple calls regarding various things. One of the key things I've learned is knowing the information, and talking to a customer with any sort of confidence will help you in the interaction significantly. My co-workers were one of the best co-workers I have personally ever had a chance to work with. Always bringing their best foot forward and prepared to help their co-workers or fellow customer with utmost respect. The hardest part of the job was asking for help because I feared being looked down upon; however after seeing everyone interact casually eased things a lot. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new ways to deal with customers of different tolerance level and being able to work with the school network in order to help the students.
Good
Post-doctorate (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 July 2012
good and beautiful university.
friendly atmosphere.
Management was caring.
co-workers were amazing.
In simulations when your code does not work is the worst part of your job.
School that has alot of benifits
Orientation Representative (Former Employee) –  Lonon28 January 2013
A regular day for me would consist of having 4 to 6 hours of class. After class I would have 4 and a half hours of football practice for the big game. Once football practice was over I'd hit the books for another 2 hours.
I loved the fact that I had to be independent and figure out how to organize my time effectively so that I would get the best possible results.
I also loved being around my coaches and team mates because they always motivated me to do my best.
I'd say the hardest part of being at university is waking up for the early classes (which I did).
Pros
varcity football athelete
Cons
none i loved my stay at university of western ontario
Excellent research facilities and faculty
Ph.D. Candidate (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 June 2015
Carried out exciting cancer-related cell cycle studies. Learned a great deal about protein biochemistry, in vitro assays, presentation skills. My peers were great to work with. Faculty and staff are always willing to help. Hardest part of my job was when experiments don't work. Most enjoyable part is when I obtained an interesting result.
Excellent university
Ph.D. (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 August 2015
Fantastic educational institution. Faculty always have an 'open door' policy. Relaxed and informal research environment with a very good amount of resources, facilities and equipment.
Pros
Great place to learn
Cons
student stipend is low
Fun workplace with opportunity to constantly meet new people
Orientation Program Volunteer (Soph) (Current Employee) –  London, ON26 February 2014
As an Orientation Volunteer my job is to make sure that first year university students have an easy transition into university life. I live in residence with the first year students and serve a mentorship role. There are 34 Orientation Volunteers in the building as well as 20 paid staff members. I am there to help the first year students if they are having academic problems, social problems, or any question they may have. My role is to be their friend, so that they will always have someone to support them in their new environment. A typical day would include checking on the students, asking how there days were, I may have a meeting with the other volunteers in the building, and I am pretty much there 24/7 in case any problems arise. The hardest part of the job is balancing my school work as well as spending time with the students. There will be times in the middle of the night where a student needs help and it is my job to be there. I love the people I work with as well as the students I am responsible for. The people make it all worth it.

4.5