University of Western Ontario

University of Western Ontario Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent university
Ph.D. (Former Employee), London, ONAugust 7, 2015
Pros: Great place to learn
Cons: student stipend is low
Fantastic educational institution. Faculty always have an 'open door' policy. Relaxed and informal research environment with a very good amount of resources, facilities and equipment.
Amazing school with wide range of extra curricular activities
Orientation Soph (Former Employee), London, ONJune 5, 2015
The University of Western Ontario in London, ON is an incredible school. Through this university I was given the opportunity to participate in the OHM Fashion Show, join a sorority and become a soph leader.
Excellent research facilities and faculty
Ph.D. Candidate (Former Employee), London, ONJune 4, 2015
Carried out exciting cancer-related cell cycle studies. Learned a great deal about protein biochemistry, in vitro assays, presentation skills. My peers were great to work with. Faculty and staff are always willing to help. Hardest part of my job was when experiments don't work. Most enjoyable part is when I obtained an interesting result.
Functional place having very professional people.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONApril 20, 2015
Pay for assistants in every field is low though. One can not blame the university, because all universities have the similar salary range.
Nice and Productive environment
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 31, 2015
It was a good experience for me to develop some of my abilities, such as teaching, leadership, researching. and I learn a lot about Canadian culture, working environment, and also people. Now I believe I can have a better understanding of my own way through the life here.
quiet and easy-going
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 27, 2015
Pros: excellent staff
Cons: too slow-paced
This position is more of an entry-level so my skills and knowledge are not being utilized to their fullest. I work with wonderful people who are kind and helpful.
A great learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 23, 2015
University of Western Ontario offers academic positions to students that allow them to learn and earn money at the same time. In my position I learned how to do social health research.
Fun work place
Referee (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 17, 2015
Fun and great work place, supportive and welcoming. Great place to work on campus, flexible hours and good management.
Fun Workplace
Green Roof Assistant (Current Employee), London, OntarioFebruary 26, 2015
Very fun place to work at. People are very understanding about your situation in school. They care about your school works and social life.
nice place
Research Assistant (Former Employee), London,OnJanuary 11, 2015
a typical day starts with sunshine
very nice campus, very beautiful
prof staff and colleagues are nice
mixed historical and modern buildings
It has an excellent research environment
M.ENG Student (Current Employee), M.ENG grad studentNovember 30, 2014
Usually my day in UWO is focused in leardning. I am doing my master of Engineering here. I learned a lot of new staff there at UWO. Professors are great and they try their best to teach their students and everyone is helpful there.
fun teaching experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONAugust 18, 2014
Good experience with teaching lectures and working with university students
Interesting and fullfilling
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 31, 2014
Pros: rewarding
Cons: may become overwhelming and time consuming
Being able to tutor younger students and shape their minds and see their scientific minds grow, is the best experience ever. Being able to contribute to someone scientific growth is quite rewarding.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 4, 2014
Western is a wonderful school, the campus is beautiful no matter the season and even though it's a big campus, it doesn't always feel that way. The campus is super well maintained and there are many precautions taken for the safety of students.
I have a great team who are always willing to help. My project focuses on the study of plant and spider mite genomics to develop strategies to reduce spider mite damage and increase crop yield.
A great working environment requiring you to be on your A game every day.
Administrative and Support Services (Former Employee), London, OnApril 30, 2014
A typical day at work required answering multiple calls regarding various things. One of the key things I've learned is knowing the information, and talking to a customer with any sort of confidence will help you in the interaction significantly. My co-workers were one of the best co-workers I have personally ever had a chance to work with. Always bringing their best foot forward and prepared to help their co-workers or fellow customer with utmost respect. The hardest part of the job was asking for help because I feared being looked down upon; however after seeing everyone interact casually eased things a lot. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new ways to deal with customers of different tolerance level and being able to work with the school network in order to help the students.
nice place to work, talented people around
Project Researcher (Former Employee), London, ONApril 1, 2014
Learned a lot of knowledge there, worked with talented professor and creative co-workers
University of Western Ontario
Illustrations Editor Gazette (Current Employee), London, Ontario.March 30, 2014
Pros: creative atmosphere, friendly environment, motivated to relax and work hard.
It may sound naive or silly,
But it truly is the best working place there is.

We are laid back, but we are serious about the quality of our work. We take the time to relax when we need to and take care of eachothers workload when someone is sick or isn't feeling up to the challenge. We are all seriously motivated individuals who care about our work and our quality of work.
Fun workplace with opportunity to constantly meet new people
Orientation Program Volunteer (Soph) (Current Employee), London, ONFebruary 26, 2014
As an Orientation Volunteer my job is to make sure that first year university students have an easy transition into university life. I live in residence with the first year students and serve a mentorship role. There are 34 Orientation Volunteers in the building as well as 20 paid staff members. I am there to help the first year students if they are having academic problems, social problems, or any question they may have. My role is to be their friend, so that they will always have someone to support them in their new environment. A typical day would include checking on the students, asking how there days were, I may have a meeting with the other volunteers in the building, and I am pretty much there 24/7 in case any problems arise. The hardest part of the job is balancing my school work as well as spending time with the students. There will be times in the middle of the night where a student needs help and it is my job to be there. I love the people I work with as well as the students I am responsible for. The people make it all worth it.
Excellent workplace
Accounts Receivable/Payable Specialist (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 19, 2014
Very enjoyable workplace, great staff! Very competitive salary
Very Good
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONDecember 25, 2013
Researchers were all very nice and insightful.
Supervisors were all helpful and educating.
Great experience.