University of Western Ontario

University of Western Ontario Employee Reviews

Supportive study environment for students
Researcher, Educator (Current Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 4, 2016
Overall a supportive study environment for students with good resources in the libraries and student support centre.
It was a wonderful place and environment of work.
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONDecember 19, 2015
The work was promising with a good margin of profit till the revolution there began. After that I forced to leave and the plant was closed.
I Wish My Contract Was a LOT longer... Excellent Job!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ONDecember 17, 2015
Working as a research assistant is an excellent gig should you get the opportunity to do so. The pay was nice at $15/hour at about 10-15 hours a week... too bad the contract was only a month long.

Learned all kinds of important research and analysis skills that will go a long way in professional employment. I can't recommend working for Western enough! :)
Pros
Learn Skills and Feel Valued
Cons
Contract too Short
Great Experience as a TA
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ONDecember 3, 2015
Teaching a graduate class is one of the most valuable experiences I have had. The pressures of maintaining class averages are gone, and the level of intellect from the students and the questions asked in class are much higher compared to undergrad. The graduate teaching programs at UWO are one of the best.
Great Environment to work and build a career
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 19, 2015
I enjoyed my time working here. The workload can be high, but the team around you is very supportive and makes that less of an issue. Lots of chances for advancement.
Wonderful experience
Choir Assistant/Section Leader (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Western University was very kind in providing work-study for students who need more wage on top of their part-time jobs to make an living for themselves. I was very grateful that the Don Wright Faculty of Music employs Music Vocal Professors to conduct music services for churches within the London Community. Rehearsal was every Thursday night and Sunday morning before mass, which was a commitment I kept and enjoyed attending. I loved that I could use my talents for the benefit of the community. Providing musical services over the past three years made me feel of purpose and for that I am very honoured and privileged.
Excellent university
Ph.D. (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 7, 2015
Fantastic educational institution. Faculty always have an 'open door' policy. Relaxed and informal research environment with a very good amount of resources, facilities and equipment.
Pros
Great place to learn
Cons
student stipend is low
Amazing school with wide range of extra curricular activities
Orientation Soph (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 5, 2015
The University of Western Ontario in London, ON is an incredible school. Through this university I was given the opportunity to participate in the OHM Fashion Show, join a sorority and become a soph leader.
Excellent research facilities and faculty
Ph.D. Candidate (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 4, 2015
Carried out exciting cancer-related cell cycle studies. Learned a great deal about protein biochemistry, in vitro assays, presentation skills. My peers were great to work with. Faculty and staff are always willing to help. Hardest part of my job was when experiments don't work. Most enjoyable part is when I obtained an interesting result.
Functional place having very professional people.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONApril 20, 2015
Pay for assistants in every field is low though. One can not blame the university, because all universities have the similar salary range.
Nice and Productive environment
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 31, 2015
It was a good experience for me to develop some of my abilities, such as teaching, leadership, researching. and I learn a lot about Canadian culture, working environment, and also people. Now I believe I can have a better understanding of my own way through the life here.
quiet and easy-going
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 27, 2015
This position is more of an entry-level so my skills and knowledge are not being utilized to their fullest. I work with wonderful people who are kind and helpful.
Pros
excellent staff
Cons
too slow-paced
A great learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 23, 2015
University of Western Ontario offers academic positions to students that allow them to learn and earn money at the same time. In my position I learned how to do social health research.
Fun work place
Referee (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 17, 2015
Fun and great work place, supportive and welcoming. Great place to work on campus, flexible hours and good management.
Fun Workplace
Green Roof Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, OntarioFebruary 26, 2015
Very fun place to work at. People are very understanding about your situation in school. They care about your school works and social life.
nice place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  London,OnJanuary 11, 2015
a typical day starts with sunshine
very nice campus, very beautiful
prof staff and colleagues are nice
mixed historical and modern buildings
It has an excellent research environment
M.ENG Student (Current Employee) –  M.ENG grad studentNovember 30, 2014
Usually my day in UWO is focused in leardning. I am doing my master of Engineering here. I learned a lot of new staff there at UWO. Professors are great and they try their best to teach their students and everyone is helpful there.
fun teaching experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONAugust 18, 2014
Good experience with teaching lectures and working with university students
Interesting and fullfilling
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONJuly 31, 2014
Being able to tutor younger students and shape their minds and see their scientific minds grow, is the best experience ever. Being able to contribute to someone scientific growth is quite rewarding.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
may become overwhelming and time consuming
Productive and Fun Workplace
Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONJuly 4, 2014
Western is a wonderful school, the campus is beautiful no matter the season and even though it's a big campus, it doesn't always feel that way. The campus is super well maintained and there are many precautions taken for the safety of students.
I have a great team who are always willing to help. My project focuses on the study of plant and spider mite genomics to develop strategies to reduce spider mite damage and increase crop yield.

4.4