University of Western Ontario

University of Western Ontario Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
nice place to work, talented people around
Project Researcher (Former Employee), London, ONApril 1, 2014
Learned a lot of knowledge there, worked with talented professor and creative co-workers
University of Western Ontario
Illustrations Editor Gazette (Current Employee), London, Ontario.March 30, 2014
Pros: creative atmosphere, friendly environment, motivated to relax and work hard.
It may sound naive or silly,
But it truly is the best working place there is.

We are laid back, but we are serious about the quality of our work. We take the time to relax when we need to and take care of eachothers workload when someone is sick or isn't feeling up to the challenge. We are all seriously motivated individuals who care about our work – more... and our quality of work. – less
Fun workplace with opportunity to constantly meet new people
Orientation Program Volunteer (Soph) (Current Employee), London, ONFebruary 26, 2014
As an Orientation Volunteer my job is to make sure that first year university students have an easy transition into university life. I live in residence with the first year students and serve a mentorship role. There are 34 Orientation Volunteers in the building as well as 20 paid staff members. I am there to help the first year students if they are – more... having academic problems, social problems, or any question they may have. My role is to be their friend, so that they will always have someone to support them in their new environment. A typical day would include checking on the students, asking how there days were, I may have a meeting with the other volunteers in the building, and I am pretty much there 24/7 in case any problems arise. The hardest part of the job is balancing my school work as well as spending time with the students. There will be times in the middle of the night where a student needs help and it is my job to be there. I love the people I work with as well as the students I am responsible for. The people make it all worth it. – less
Excellent workplace
Accounts Receivable/Payable Specialist (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 19, 2014
Very enjoyable workplace, great staff! Very competitive salary
Very Good
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONDecember 25, 2013
Researchers were all very nice and insightful.
Supervisors were all helpful and educating.
Great experience.
A good way to put knowledge into practice and improve communication skills.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 19, 2013
I have done a project for two hospitals in Canada with my supervisor's help. Many statistics methods and theory learned in class were used in this project. At the end, I went to the hospitals and gave a presentation about our findings and optimization strategies. It's really a meaningful experience for me.
Geotechnical material testing
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee), London, ONAugust 15, 2013
Pros: non
Cons: non
Geotechnical material testing, writing test Report, flexible time
Learned about new tests that were not performed during course based education
University
Chaz Smallman, Director of Members Family Services (Former Employee), Toronto OntarioAugust 1, 2013
Pros: new technics
Cons: difficult in para military org.
Management Studies
Sharing culture
Review of different cultures
Productive Work Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 9, 2013
Pros: everyday learning new research
Cons: work extensively sometimes over nights
The research assistant job gave me the opportunity to acquire my in time management and leadership skills by taking part in group projects and and performing my duties in a timely and efficient manner.

As a research assistant, my daily activities at work would differ, some days doing only research and reviewing the literature and other times I would – more... spend hours writing computer programs. In the meanwhile I had the chance to collaborate with my nice colleagues whom I had nice chat over lunch hours or had series discussions on my research.

The most exciting part of my job was doing something new everyday. Keeping up with the latest research that is going on worldwide.

The most difficult part of the research is the uncertainty in the resolved solution and the ambiguity along with that. – less
Good place to start your career
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, OntarioApril 9, 2013
Pros: friendly enviroment
Cons: lack od knowledge
It was over all good, but I was not looking for some place with a higher level of real research going on.
Most people there are friendly and fun.
work as copywriter, copy editor, and as private tutor
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Faculty of History, University of Western OntarioMarch 11, 2013
Pros: working with others to help them achieve success
Cons: long hours
As a long-time copywriter and editor, I spend a large portion of each day crafting marketing campaigns and slogans that can be used by local businesses. More than that, I do contribute to some online websites and much of my time is spent assisting high-needs students at the high school and college levels. The hardest part of my work is the careful attention – more... to detail which must always accompany any new marketing campaign; the easiest part is surely the time and opportunity to interact with young students who just want something better for themselves and are searching for answers for their scholastic issues. – less
Student
Student (Current Employee), London, ONFebruary 24, 2013
Good expirence
Great Layout
Helpfull Staff
Well Managed
Organized
School that has alot of benifits
Orientation Representative (Former Employee), LononJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: varcity football athelete
Cons: none i loved my stay at university of western ontario
A regular day for me would consist of having 4 to 6 hours of class. After class I would have 4 and a half hours of football practice for the big game. Once football practice was over I'd hit the books for another 2 hours.
I loved the fact that I had to be independent and figure out how to organize my time effectively so that I would get the best possible – more... results.
I also loved being around my coaches and team mates because they always motivated me to do my best.
I'd say the hardest part of being at university is waking up for the early classes (which I did). – less
UWO
Weight Room Supervisor (Former Employee), londonJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: minimum wage
Acquired employment through work placement at university. Job security was need based. Minimum wage, flexible hours.
Placement with Varsity Football team was an enjoyable and rewarding experience. Learned physical training skills and techniques to get the most production from athletes at the highest level of amateur sport.
Knowledgeable Professors
Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, OntarioOctober 30, 2012
Excellent faculty! Provided ongoing guidance on projects and research initiatives
Great company with supportive environment
Admissions Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 18, 2012
I loved working at UWO and would have continued with my employment however I moved to be with my spouse.
Very Organized and Productive Work Place
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 17, 2012
Pros: working in the same building as my classes, management, organized
Cons: not able to put in extra hours
I would open up the office before the manager was in the building to turn on computers and check e-mails. Organize the products in the office and check for any late returns. File files, call in any late product, reserve any equipment for professors and students, and book and sign out equipment for professors and students.
Management was great. I was – more... able to understand right away what I was supposed to do. I picked up on the job very quick and was able to be self sufficient with out the help of my manager.
There was no co-workers. I was the only secretary working in the office.
I did not find that the job was hard or difficult in any way. I believe most of it was because everything was very straight forward and organized.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the same building that I would have my classes in. It was very convenient for me and it allowed for me to balance school and work very easily. – less
University life
Adjunct Professor - Department of Chemistry (Former Employee), London, ONSeptember 19, 2012
Independent work atmosphere where one can develop their own style and skills.
Great Place to Work
Visual Arts Shop Technician (Former Employee), London, ONAugust 27, 2012
I worked for UWO while I was a student taking Visual Arts. I got to help many student with their projects, developed life long friendships, and was able to work and study at the same time. The staff at UWO are always concerned about your well being and care about you as a person.
University Work
Warehouse Worker & Truck Driver (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 23, 2012
Pros: super benefit packages
Cons: not much to report
Has being a great work experience working for UWO. Gained alot of friends and met various professional personal. Tough place to get hired on if your trying to apply from outside the University but once in it is great.

About University of Western Ontario

Western's School of Communication Sciences and Disorders, part of the Faculty of Health Sciences, is home to one of Canada's largest – Read more