University of Western Ontario Employee Reviews

practical and useful academic projects
Structural Academic Projects (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 July 2017
various structural Industrial, Commercial, Residential projects. Experienced Professors. I promote my skills in steel, concrete, wood masonry seismic designs ( challenging projects).
Good people,however bogged down in bureaucracy
Provide administrative support (Current Employee) –  London, ON5 July 2017
Love my boss, however I am stuck in contract work and no end in sight. Excellent training, great atmosphere, the campus is a joy to be on. I wish there was more support for contract workers.
Pros
Working with students is fantastic
Cons
contract work no benefits
work and life balance sucks
Porter (Current Employee) –  London, ON20 June 2017
the balance with work or life is low you ask for time off never find out if you get it or not until the day comes when you show up and they say why are you here job security is ok because they don't hire often management is only around when the big boss comes around other then that they just sit in the office on YouTube or Facebook while you are working hard and then the few times it's slow the boss comes out and says things like why are you not working hard
Great facilities
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  London, ON15 June 2017
Chemistry department is well maintained with high-class facilities, knowledgable and helpful staff and managers, and faculty members who are always trying to help all students out.
Student Leadership Position - Voluntary Work
Vice President of Communications (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 June 2017
The was a student leadership position which I ran for and do not feel should be rated in this format. However, Indeed makes is mandatory and this statement must meet a minimum number of characters.
good place to work
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 April 2017
good place to work, there wasn't much pressure. everyone was smart and able to do their task efficiently. the pay was fair for the job and overall a great place to work.
Fun place to work.
Residence tour guide (Current Employee) –  London, ON11 April 2017
Great place to work. Very flexible for my busy school schedule. Training is very minimum but it is not hard to catch on. Good way to improve speaking skills. 10/10 would recommend.
Perfect work place
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON11 April 2017
Working environment is very friendly.
Can work according my schedule and time is flexible.
There are lots of opportunities to establish own thought and experiences.
Creative and learning
Clinical Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 April 2017
The UWO is a great university where there are chances of growth and lots of advanced learning. The university has diverse culture, highly qualified professors and great administrative structure.
Pros
Great culture, qualified professors
Cons
Excellent University with many resources and an encouraging atmosphere
Research Assistant, Physiology (Current Employee) –  London, ON24 February 2017
Using excellent research facilities, we were able to use various tests (critical power, Maximum VO2, etc.) to examine variables accurately.
Productive work place with flexible working hours
Postgraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 February 2017
It is a nice place to do research with all facilities to carry out different parts of the research. I was never put in a situation that I could not do my research due to financial problems. The research group is very collaborative and supportive of all researchers.
Great Team
Proctor (Current Employee) –  London, ON9 February 2017
The greatest strength at Western University is its people. I have learned so much from the people that I worked with and completely enjoyed working for my coordinators and team leaders.
busy and slow
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 January 2017
Some days are slow, some days are fast paced. Great and fun workplace. lot of great stuff, great people. Hardest part is theres a lot of students and not a lot of help from supervisors
Pros
summers off
Cons
summers off
Great place to work as a student for a part-time job
Campus Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 January 2017
Typical day as a part time student worker included doing tour for prospective students for 2 hours per shift. Very organized team with great boss.
People are friendly and willing to assist you with job related problems
Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON26 December 2016
Very busy. The best only comes by working hard and asking pertinent questions that are related to the problem you are solving. Co-workers are very friendly as well as hard working. The hardest part of the job is meeting strict deadlines. The job is very flexible- you can work by following your own schedules.
Variable experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 November 2016
Working as a teaching Assistant is good, but the experience one has depends a lot on who the supervising instructor is. Also, while the hourly wage seems good on paper, one is limited to only ten hours a week. The job is a great way to develop discussion facilitation and conflict resolution skills.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Few hours, highly variable workload.
Positive
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 October 2016
A typical day at work included arriving to the lab, doing a literature search, setting up reactions. There were also classes one had to take which didn't necessarily occur everyday. After class, one would go check on your reactions, work them up, purify the compounds, and characterize and analyze the compounds. Every day there was something new to learn.
It is an enjoyable experience sharing knowledge with professors and students and learning from them as well
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 October 2016
My typical day involves reading the course materials, attending lectures, sometimes preparing tutorials and meeting with students to discuss anything that they may seek additional clarification. I also mark exams and invigilate/proctor
a very diverse community and fun
Instructor and TA (Former Employee) –  London2 September 2016
I've had a great time studying and working at Western University. I learned a lot! There is a great sense of community at Western. Buildings are clean and the work staff are friendly. I loved blending in the mainstream population and learning from other cultures.
Productive laboratory
PhD Candidate (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 July 2016
Come to work, chat with coworkers over coffee, go to my seat and run simulations, finish work at around 5:00PM, go home and cook dinner with my partner, I enjoy working in my lab independently, but I get cold easily because of the air conditioning.
Pros
Free lunche