University of Western Ontario

University of Western Ontario Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Interesting and fullfilling
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 31, 2014
Pros: rewarding
Cons: may become overwhelming and time consuming
Being able to tutor younger students and shape their minds and see their scientific minds grow, is the best experience ever. Being able to contribute to someone scientific growth is quite rewarding.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 4, 2014
Western is a wonderful school, the campus is beautiful no matter the season and even though it's a big campus, it doesn't always feel that way. The campus is super well maintained and there are many precautions taken for the safety of students.
I have a great team who are always willing to help. My project focuses on the study of plant and spider mite – more... genomics to develop strategies to reduce spider mite damage and increase crop yield. – less
A great working environment requiring you to be on your A game every day.
Administrative and Support Services (Former Employee), London, OnApril 30, 2014
A typical day at work required answering multiple calls regarding various things. One of the key things I've learned is knowing the information, and talking to a customer with any sort of confidence will help you in the interaction significantly. My co-workers were one of the best co-workers I have personally ever had a chance to work with. Always bringing – more... their best foot forward and prepared to help their co-workers or fellow customer with utmost respect. The hardest part of the job was asking for help because I feared being looked down upon; however after seeing everyone interact casually eased things a lot. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new ways to deal with customers of different tolerance level and being able to work with the school network in order to help the students. – less
nice place to work, talented people around
Project Researcher (Former Employee), London, ONApril 1, 2014
Learned a lot of knowledge there, worked with talented professor and creative co-workers
University of Western Ontario
Illustrations Editor Gazette (Current Employee), London, Ontario.March 30, 2014
Pros: creative atmosphere, friendly environment, motivated to relax and work hard.
It may sound naive or silly,
But it truly is the best working place there is.

We are laid back, but we are serious about the quality of our work. We take the time to relax when we need to and take care of eachothers workload when someone is sick or isn't feeling up to the challenge. We are all seriously motivated individuals who care about our work – more... and our quality of work. – less
Excellent workplace
Accounts Receivable/Payable Specialist (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 19, 2014
Very enjoyable workplace, great staff! Very competitive salary
Very Good
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONDecember 25, 2013
Researchers were all very nice and insightful.
Supervisors were all helpful and educating.
Great experience.
Too far north
Interior Designer (Former Employee), London, OntarioDecember 1, 2013
Pros: na
Cons: na
I was not there long enough to form an opinion. This was a single owner run company.
A good way to put knowledge into practice and improve communication skills.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 19, 2013
I have done a project for two hospitals in Canada with my supervisor's help. Many statistics methods and theory learned in class were used in this project. At the end, I went to the hospitals and gave a presentation about our findings and optimization strategies. It's really a meaningful experience for me.
Geotechnical material testing
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee), London, ONAugust 15, 2013
Pros: non
Cons: non
Geotechnical material testing, writing test Report, flexible time
Learned about new tests that were not performed during course based education
University
Chaz Smallman, Director of Members Family Services (Former Employee), Toronto OntarioAugust 1, 2013
Pros: new technics
Cons: difficult in para military org.
Management Studies
Sharing culture
Review of different cultures
Productive Work Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 9, 2013
Pros: everyday learning new research
Cons: work extensively sometimes over nights
The research assistant job gave me the opportunity to acquire my in time management and leadership skills by taking part in group projects and and performing my duties in a timely and efficient manner.

As a research assistant, my daily activities at work would differ, some days doing only research and reviewing the literature and other times I would – more... spend hours writing computer programs. In the meanwhile I had the chance to collaborate with my nice colleagues whom I had nice chat over lunch hours or had series discussions on my research.

The most exciting part of my job was doing something new everyday. Keeping up with the latest research that is going on worldwide.

The most difficult part of the research is the uncertainty in the resolved solution and the ambiguity along with that. – less
Good place to start your career
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, OntarioApril 9, 2013
Pros: friendly enviroment
Cons: lack od knowledge
It was over all good, but I was not looking for some place with a higher level of real research going on.
Most people there are friendly and fun.
work as copywriter, copy editor, and as private tutor
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Faculty of History, University of Western OntarioMarch 11, 2013
Pros: working with others to help them achieve success
Cons: long hours
As a long-time copywriter and editor, I spend a large portion of each day crafting marketing campaigns and slogans that can be used by local businesses. More than that, I do contribute to some online websites and much of my time is spent assisting high-needs students at the high school and college levels. The hardest part of my work is the careful attention – more... to detail which must always accompany any new marketing campaign; the easiest part is surely the time and opportunity to interact with young students who just want something better for themselves and are searching for answers for their scholastic issues. – less
Student
Student (Current Employee), London, ONFebruary 24, 2013
Good expirence
Great Layout
Helpfull Staff
Well Managed
Organized
School that has alot of benifits
Orientation Representative (Former Employee), LononJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: varcity football athelete
Cons: none i loved my stay at university of western ontario
A regular day for me would consist of having 4 to 6 hours of class. After class I would have 4 and a half hours of football practice for the big game. Once football practice was over I'd hit the books for another 2 hours.
I loved the fact that I had to be independent and figure out how to organize my time effectively so that I would get the best possible – more... results.
I also loved being around my coaches and team mates because they always motivated me to do my best.
I'd say the hardest part of being at university is waking up for the early classes (which I did). – less
UWO
Weight Room Supervisor (Former Employee), londonJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: minimum wage
Acquired employment through work placement at university. Job security was need based. Minimum wage, flexible hours.
Placement with Varsity Football team was an enjoyable and rewarding experience. Learned physical training skills and techniques to get the most production from athletes at the highest level of amateur sport.
Great Research Intensive University
Research Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONNovember 7, 2012
Considered Canada’s most beautiful university, Western’s main campus spans 400 acres of Gothic-style buildings mixed with modern, LEED-certified structures provide an idyllic environment for our community of scholars.
Very friendly work environment
Knowledgeable Professors
Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, OntarioOctober 30, 2012
Excellent faculty! Provided ongoing guidance on projects and research initiatives
Great company with supportive environment
Admissions Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 18, 2012
I loved working at UWO and would have continued with my employment however I moved to be with my spouse.

About University of Western Ontario

Western's School of Communication Sciences and Disorders, part of the Faculty of Health Sciences, is home to one of Canada's largest – Read more