University of Western Ontario

University of Western Ontario Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun workplace with opportunity to constantly meet new people
Orientation Program Volunteer (Soph) (Current Employee), London, ONFebruary 26, 2014
As an Orientation Volunteer my job is to make sure that first year university students have an easy transition into university life. I live in residence with the first year students and serve a mentorship role. There are 34 Orientation Volunteers in the building as well as 20 paid staff members. I am there to help the first year students if they are having academic problems, social problems, or any question they may have. My role is to be their friend, so that they will always have someone to support them in their new environment. A typical day would include checking on the students, asking how there days were, I may have a meeting with the other volunteers in the building, and I am pretty much there 24/7 in case any problems arise. The hardest part of the job is balancing my school work as well as spending time with the students. There will be times in the middle of the night where a student needs help and it is my job to be there. I love the people I work with as well as the students I am responsible for. The people make it all worth it.
A great working environment requiring you to be on your A game every day.
Administrative and Support Services (Former Employee), London, OnApril 30, 2014
A typical day at work required answering multiple calls regarding various things. One of the key things I've learned is knowing the information, and talking to a customer with any sort of confidence will help you in the interaction significantly. My co-workers were one of the best co-workers I have personally ever had a chance to work with. Always bringing their best foot forward and prepared to help their co-workers or fellow customer with utmost respect. The hardest part of the job was asking for help because I feared being looked down upon; however after seeing everyone interact casually eased things a lot. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new ways to deal with customers of different tolerance level and being able to work with the school network in order to help the students.
Very Organized and Productive Work Place
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 17, 2012
Pros: working in the same building as my classes, management, organized
Cons: not able to put in extra hours
I would open up the office before the manager was in the building to turn on computers and check e-mails. Organize the products in the office and check for any late returns. File files, call in any late product, reserve any equipment for professors and students, and book and sign out equipment for professors and students.
Management was great. I was able to understand right away what I was supposed to do. I picked up on the job very quick and was able to be self sufficient with out the help of my manager.
There was no co-workers. I was the only secretary working in the office.
I did not find that the job was hard or difficult in any way. I believe most of it was because everything was very straight forward and organized.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the same building that I would have my classes in. It was very convenient for me and it allowed for me to balance school and work very easily.
work as copywriter, copy editor, and as private tutor
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Faculty of History, University of Western OntarioMarch 11, 2013
Pros: working with others to help them achieve success
Cons: long hours
As a long-time copywriter and editor, I spend a large portion of each day crafting marketing campaigns and slogans that can be used by local businesses. More than that, I do contribute to some online websites and much of my time is spent assisting high-needs students at the high school and college levels. The hardest part of my work is the careful attention to detail which must always accompany any new marketing campaign; the easiest part is surely the time and opportunity to interact with young students who just want something better for themselves and are searching for answers for their scholastic issues.
Productive Work Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 9, 2013
Pros: everyday learning new research
Cons: work extensively sometimes over nights
The research assistant job gave me the opportunity to acquire my in time management and leadership skills by taking part in group projects and and performing my duties in a timely and efficient manner.

As a research assistant, my daily activities at work would differ, some days doing only research and reviewing the literature and other times I would spend hours writing computer programs. In the meanwhile I had the chance to collaborate with my nice colleagues whom I had nice chat over lunch hours or had series discussions on my research.

The most exciting part of my job was doing something new everyday. Keeping up with the latest research that is going on worldwide.

The most difficult part of the research is the uncertainty in the resolved solution and the ambiguity along with that.
University of Western Ontario is a good place for starters.
Research Assistant / Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), London, OntMay 15, 2012
Pros: enough money to survive, nice enviroment
Cons: being in small city like london
University of Western Ontario, in a big university with a good reputation in bushiness, Astronomy, and Medical researches.
I have been there since 2011, and I am studying Astronomy as a master student.
Being Teacher Assistant and Research Assistant, I found a way to earn money, and found a valuable time to experience working in a real life.
After these years now I can say that I have these skills:

Easily supervise 35_45 students
With no problem work with lab instruments and set them up
Have a good skill to solve problems
Good at time management
Work under pressure
Have strong analytical thinking
Work with large Data
Programming skills like Python
School that has alot of benifits
Orientation Representative (Former Employee), LononJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: varcity football athelete
Cons: none i loved my stay at university of western ontario
A regular day for me would consist of having 4 to 6 hours of class. After class I would have 4 and a half hours of football practice for the big game. Once football practice was over I'd hit the books for another 2 hours.
I loved the fact that I had to be independent and figure out how to organize my time effectively so that I would get the best possible results.
I also loved being around my coaches and team mates because they always motivated me to do my best.
I'd say the hardest part of being at university is waking up for the early classes (which I did).
Wonderful experience
Choir Assistant/Section Leader (Former Employee), London, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Western University was very kind in providing work-study for students who need more wage on top of their part-time jobs to make an living for themselves. I was very grateful that the Don Wright Faculty of Music employs Music Vocal Professors to conduct music services for churches within the London Community. Rehearsal was every Thursday night and Sunday morning before mass, which was a commitment I kept and enjoyed attending. I loved that I could use my talents for the benefit of the community. Providing musical services over the past three years made me feel of purpose and for that I am very honoured and privileged.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 4, 2014
Western is a wonderful school, the campus is beautiful no matter the season and even though it's a big campus, it doesn't always feel that way. The campus is super well maintained and there are many precautions taken for the safety of students.
I have a great team who are always willing to help. My project focuses on the study of plant and spider mite genomics to develop strategies to reduce spider mite damage and increase crop yield.
I Wish My Contract Was a LOT longer... Excellent Job!
Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONDecember 17, 2015
Pros: Learn Skills and Feel Valued
Cons: Contract too Short
Working as a research assistant is an excellent gig should you get the opportunity to do so. The pay was nice at $15/hour at about 10-15 hours a week... too bad the contract was only a month long.

Learned all kinds of important research and analysis skills that will go a long way in professional employment. I can't recommend working for Western enough! :)
University of Western Ontario
Illustrations Editor Gazette (Current Employee), London, Ontario.March 30, 2014
Pros: creative atmosphere, friendly environment, motivated to relax and work hard.
It may sound naive or silly,
But it truly is the best working place there is.

We are laid back, but we are serious about the quality of our work. We take the time to relax when we need to and take care of eachothers workload when someone is sick or isn't feeling up to the challenge. We are all seriously motivated individuals who care about our work and our quality of work.
Excellent research facilities and faculty
Ph.D. Candidate (Former Employee), London, ONJune 4, 2015
Carried out exciting cancer-related cell cycle studies. Learned a great deal about protein biochemistry, in vitro assays, presentation skills. My peers were great to work with. Faculty and staff are always willing to help. Hardest part of my job was when experiments don't work. Most enjoyable part is when I obtained an interesting result.
A good way to put knowledge into practice and improve communication skills.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 19, 2013
I have done a project for two hospitals in Canada with my supervisor's help. Many statistics methods and theory learned in class were used in this project. At the end, I went to the hospitals and gave a presentation about our findings and optimization strategies. It's really a meaningful experience for me.
UWO
Weight Room Supervisor (Former Employee), londonJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: minimum wage
Acquired employment through work placement at university. Job security was need based. Minimum wage, flexible hours.
Placement with Varsity Football team was an enjoyable and rewarding experience. Learned physical training skills and techniques to get the most production from athletes at the highest level of amateur sport.
University Work
Warehouse Worker & Truck Driver (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 23, 2012
Pros: super benefit packages
Cons: not much to report
Has being a great work experience working for UWO. Gained alot of friends and met various professional personal. Tough place to get hired on if your trying to apply from outside the University but once in it is great.
Fun, friendly co-workers. Loved going to work every day. Enjoyable work environment
Database Clerk (Former Employee), London ON.December 30, 2011
Pros: mini golf tournament and luncheons
Cons: no cons to report
The people at University of Western Ontario were very accomodating. They made me feel very welcome and they were very helpful in my contract time that I worked for them.
Great Place to Work
Visual Arts Shop Technician (Former Employee), London, ONAugust 27, 2012
I worked for UWO while I was a student taking Visual Arts. I got to help many student with their projects, developed life long friendships, and was able to work and study at the same time. The staff at UWO are always concerned about your well being and care about you as a person.
Christopher & Co. Dogwalking (Profits $10,000+)
CEO (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 17, 2012
Pros: managerial work that i enjoy
Recruit associates and train them accordingly
Advertise business throughout the Greater Toronto Area
Divide workload between associates best suitable to their needs
Follow-up on clients weekly
Hold group meetings bi-weekly to ensure everything is running smoothly
Nice and Productive environment
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 31, 2015
It was a good experience for me to develop some of my abilities, such as teaching, leadership, researching. and I learn a lot about Canadian culture, working environment, and also people. Now I believe I can have a better understanding of my own way through the life here.
It has an excellent research environment
M.ENG Student (Current Employee), M.ENG grad studentNovember 30, 2014
Usually my day in UWO is focused in leardning. I am doing my master of Engineering here. I learned a lot of new staff there at UWO. Professors are great and they try their best to teach their students and everyone is helpful there.