University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Very good
Research Engineer Part-time PhD Student (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 March 2015
Very good and a place that challenges one intellectually and provides with lots of opportunities to pursue your technical interests and develop personally.
very good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 March 2015
very good working environment, excellent people, student from diverse backgrounds, lots of lectures to attend, good gyms, very responsibile mentors
Student at the University of Waterloo
Research Study Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 March 2015
As a student, there were countless hours of studying, dozens of all nighters, hundreds of lecture slides of material, and one great achievement. I learnt everything there is to know about the human body and how it works, what its made of and how to help preserve it. My colleagues were excellent, as were my professors. The hardest part was studying for long periods of time, but the greatest part was all of the great people you met with the same interests as yourself.
Great place
Teaching Assistantship (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 February 2015
A very good place to work while studying. It gives you the basic training and also allows you to have a study/work balance.
I learned how to manage multiple task as well as how to organize
Work experience at University of waterloo
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 January 2015
A typical day often started with responding to students` emails and text messages regarding assignment guidelines. During office hours, you were required to provide guidance and review students assignment. The fun part was doing tutorials with students, you got to learn a lot. The hardest part of this job was to respond to all the quiries from students. Nonetheless, the learning experience and sense of accomplishment was rewarding.
Pros
Rewarding experience, educational benefits
Cons
short deadlines and long hours of sitting to correct student`s assignments
Fun place to work with great people
Server (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 January 2015
There really is not typical day at work because there are such a variety of events that I could help cater. Most of the time, the events that are planned are very organized. My co-workers were great to work with as everyone did their share and got along. The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable and that is the fact that everyday is different. Everyday I am learning something new. Also, for a few dollars off my pay, I was able to eat whatever food that I was serving.
Pros
Good food, great people and fun work
Cons
Unpredictatable hours
Great environment to work in
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 January 2015
Great campus, research require sometime working for long hours, it all depends on supervisor or course instructor
Productive and Flexible Workplace
Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 November 2014
I was in charge of coordinating events with other businesses in order to raise awareness about the UWAFT.
Great work, lots of variety, limited movement through the organization
Teaching and Programming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 November 2014
I only worked for the University of Waterloo through several co-op positions and as a part-time marker so, as a temporary employee, UW has a lot to offer both in terms of compensation and work-life-balance. I had the opportunity to try lots of different tasks at each position with limited guidance. This allowed me to try out various responsibilities in my role but due to the nature of each position, I wasn't able to move around the departments. My co-workers were very open and helpful which helped demonstrate the culture of UW as a place of innovation and collaboration.
Pros
Great coworkers and flexible work schedule
Cons
limited movement
Internship at my University
IT Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 November 2014
 Tested and repaired activities associated with network and telecommunications applications
 Resolved technical problems for network applications, hardware and software
 Acted as a technical resource in assisting users and the Help Desk to resolve incidents
 Performed Network Security activities such as SAP, LAN and system backup and recovery
 Ensured security was appropriate for each team members and controlled access to various applications
 Interacted with the Project Management team and vendors on software and hardware in the implementation and configuration of the technology solution
Pros
Familiar and quiet environment.
Cons
nothing
Working in many different area
Food Service Preparation (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 October 2014
I was trained in all the food service restaurants we had and i enjoyed being able to work at all them and be able to change things up. I like the fact that my managers could count on me to know how do something proper like changing to oil or training new employees.
Pros
great staff and we all work together
Cons
not enough hours
PhD Student
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 October 2014
I completed my PhD here in 3 years and 9 months.

My thesis was titled "Construction workflow and document diagnostics"
Excellent place to work
Summer Research Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 October 2014
Very competitive interms of providing excellent working conditions and benefits.
A very relaxed yet focused work environment
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 October 2014
My 1 year contract at the University of Waterloo was one of the best jobs I ever had. I found the work pace reasonable. They want you to do a good job, not a rushed job. I met so many people who were full time employees there and every one of them seemed very happy and satisfied. If you are fortunate to gain full time employment there you can even take courses at a VERY reduced rate, which is a huge bonus for those who thirst for knowledge. :)
Pros
You are treated like a person, not just a person doing a job.
Cons
Some decisions have to go through a LOT of different people so change doesn't happen too quickly.
Fun and cooperative place to work
Peer Leader/ Mentor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 September 2014
It is very easy to find motivation to come into work and a very rewarding experience.
Pros
Helping People
Cons
Pay
Incredible education
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 September 2014
As a current student, I am still gaining knowledge from the school, and I love my school.
Difficult but rewarding
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 September 2014
Working and studying at UW is not easy but at the same time it is rewarding.
Productive and helpful
Examination Proctor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 September 2014
well coordinated, helpful co-workers with leadership skills
Good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 September 2014
Instructive supervisors

Learned research from scratch

Helpful staff
Excellent academic institution
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 September 2014
As a renowned university, it was a pleasure working with such incredibly talented faculty.

4.6