University of Waterloo Employee Reviews in Canada

A very good research environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 21, 2013
There are people working on all kinds of problems. Industry relations is great. The only down side is that people here work a lot, I mean a lot, and peer pressure can cause you to stop doing things you like to be able to stay competitive.
Proctoring for the Economics department of the University of Waterloo is serious and a good learning experience.
Proctor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 4, 2014
20 minutes before every exam, the economics class professor, the other proctors and I carried the examination materials from the professor's office to the examination location. Together with the other proctors, I placed the exam papers in every two desks, so there is enough space between students. The room was fixed accordingly into an exam-writing environment. Once students arrived, the exam rules and guidelines were explained to them, they were told to leave their things in the front of the class, their identification were checked, and they were asked to turn off their cellphones. During the exam, if students had any concerns, which did not give them an unfair advantage over others, I would help them. We would offer students any extra pencils or pens in case theirs were misplaced or nonfunctional. I walked by the students around the room to make sure they were following the rules and not cheating. When students finished their exam, they would raise their hand for approval, raise from their seat, and hand in their exam paper. By the end of the examination period, all exams were collected and the rooms were left as they were before. We would walk back to the professors office to leave the exams and the examination materials.

I learned about discipline, organization leadership, conflict resolution, and better speech skills when managing a large audience.

We were managed by the class professor. It was a fair and relaxed treatment.

My co-workers were very supporting and willing to cooperate, for everything to flow. Everyone played a different role.

My hardest part of the job
  more... might have been knowing when to successfully identify students who tried to cheat.

The most enjoyable part was being able to manage such a huge group of students successfully, and knowing that I could have such organizational leadership skills based on my effective communication skills. I enjoyed knowing I helped keep a fair examination environment.
Independent, enjoyable work
Ambassador Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 17, 2013
A typical day was arriving at the office, gathering my calling sheet and proceeding with going down my list making my calls. I learned how to become more comfortable with phone conversations. I did not interact too much with my co-workers but we did converse on breaks and I got along with everyone I talked to. The most enjoyable part of my job was talking with the prospected students and making them feel comfortable, as well as excited about coming to University.
Pros
timbits were always available to us
Cons
i worked in a small office with 3 other people, it was a challenge when having a phone conversation to talk over one another
A small school but a convivial one.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 12, 2013
A great school to begin one's career. The school was, at that time, was small and friendly. That environment made for a great working environment.
Pros
varied jobs
Cons
not many at all
Rewarding experience
Supported Learning Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 19, 2014
The work I did with the Student Success Office and the department of Economics at UW was based on providing ECON 101 students with a safe and inviting learning environment that promoted self learning and good studying habits as well as reinstating the lecture content through biweekly supported learning group sessions. It was a great experience helping students not only understand lecture material but also help them in understanding university life, school dynamics and opportunities available academically and socially on campus.
not a healthy environment
Faculty (Former Employee) –  AHSJune 13, 2014
I worked in a health field yet the work-life balance was anything but healthy.
very good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 18, 2015
very good working environment, excellent people, student from diverse backgrounds, lots of lectures to attend, good gyms, very responsibile mentors
Great place
Teaching Assistantship (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 10, 2015
A very good place to work while studying. It gives you the basic training and also allows you to have a study/work balance.
I learned how to manage multiple task as well as how to organize
Design, research, evaluation and simulation of Otical channel channel and wireless standars like LTE, IEEE 802.11
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 18, 2013
My daily work here in Electrical and Computer Department, University of Waterloo as a Postdoctoral Fellow includes research, design, development, and modification of Telecommunication systems. Here, we co-operate CIENA the network specialist company. We mainly focus to simulation and design of Physical layer of Optical Channel and use MATLAB and C/C++. Also, co-operate with CST-LAB to evaluate and simulate some Wireless standard like LTE, IEEE 802.11,....
It was a learning experience.
Fire Safety Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 25, 2014
Mostly involved theoretical research with some forms of practical research.management was very supportive.
A great place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 29, 2014
Considerate and perceptive managers. Excellent work/life balance.
Excellent experience at University of Waterloo
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 21, 2013
Great management of teaching assistants.

Excellent hourly wage rate.
a good place for graduate students in statistics
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 15, 2012
We ran weekly office hour, conducted tutorial, proctored exam, marked assignment and exam papers. This work has enabled me to review the statistical techniques which are the foundation of advanced methodologies. Also, running the SAS tutorial has helped me to understand all the basic operations in SAS. In addition, helping students check their SAS code has improved my orientation to detail as well as SAS knowledge.
Pros
cover my tuition fee
Cons
sometimes tedious
A great first Coop placement
Computer Systems Assistant Sr. (Coop) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 15, 2013
Working for the University of Waterloo coop workplace has many advantages for students. With the flexibility and option to have a side load of courses on campus is a great perk. A typical day at work as a Computer Systems Assistant will include, providing support for the staff, professors and students, backing up computer data and maintaining a database of all computers in the department, and working with the the network in the wiring closet.
Research and design of Smart Grid
Graduate RA & TA (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 11, 2014
I have worked as a Graduate Research Assistant (RA) and Teaching Assistant (TA) in this University. I have conducted research on Smart Grid design for two years with the collaboration of NSERC Smart Migrogrid Network (NSMG-NET). I have successfully concluded my research work with a new approach of real-time control of large load (Residential, Commercial & Industrial) modeling from Smart grid perspective.
Boring and chaotic
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 5, 2012
Not Bad, don't complain anyway. Coworkers are good. management is sloppy.
Great work environment with friendly people and key challenges!
Waterloo Arts Orientation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 4, 2013
The opportunity to work at the University of Waterloo and serve the local community is greatly beneficial to developing personal and professional relationships. They help develop current students into well-rounded employees in the workforce by encouraging teamwork, creativity and problem-solving and always serve as wonderful mentors.
Fun and fulfilling place to work
Community Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 18, 2013
My position has given me many opportunities to develop myself over a broad spectrum of traits. I have had the opportunity to present a week long training session, manage 12 staff, conduct and receive performance evaluations, and a number of others. This has been a very rewarding and supportive position working with a very positive team environment.
Enjoyable and passion-filled workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 15, 2013
I worked in one of the research labs in the Psychology department at Waterloo. The lab gave me a lot of opportunities to pursue interesting research and independent projects. The people I worked with were phenomenal in every respect and I really enjoyed the work I did while I was there, as well as the environment.
Pros
great hours, friendly workers, interesting work
Cons
n/a
Very practical project, getting to know in depth about forensic geophysics with electromagnetic survey
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 23, 2013
- typically there were few of field days where I actually got to go out in field and take measurements at the test plots. Other than field days, most of the time was spent plotting contour maps of apparent conductivity and filtering them into simplified versions. Moreover, I analyzed different phenomena happening within the subsurface with contour maps.
- I learned the proficiency and efficacy of electromagnetic survey in forensic investigation, as well as the shortcomings of it in certain situations. Moreover, I learned how to use various equipments such as EM-38, as well as software called Surfer 10.
- My co-worker was one of the graduate students in the department, who was extremely helpful with all the knowledge and experiences he had.
- The hardest part of the job was carrying out the survey even in harsh weather conditions (heavy snow, low temperature, etc)
- The most enjoyable part of the job was getting invovled in the forensic investigation, where pig cadavers and firearms were buried and results of contour maps coincide with expected outcomes
Pros
gaining hands on experience on the geophysical survey
Cons
fairly long distance to the field site

4.6