University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
not a healthy environment
Faculty (Former Employee), AHSJune 13, 2014
I worked in a health field yet the work-life balance was anything but healthy.
A small school but a convivial one.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: varied jobs
Cons: not many at all
A great school to begin one's career. The school was, at that time, was small and friendly. That environment made for a great working environment.
Rewarding experience
Supported Learning Group Leader (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 19, 2014
The work I did with the Student Success Office and the department of Economics at UW was based on providing ECON 101 students with a safe and inviting learning environment that promoted self learning and good studying habits as well as reinstating the lecture content through biweekly supported learning group sessions. It was a great experience helping students not only understand lecture material but also help them in understanding university life, school dynamics and opportunities available academically and socially on campus.
It was a learning experience.
Fire Safety Research Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 25, 2014
Mostly involved theoretical research with some forms of practical research.management was very supportive.
A great place to work
Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 29, 2014
Considerate and perceptive managers. Excellent work/life balance.
Design, research, evaluation and simulation of Otical channel channel and wireless standars like LTE, IEEE 802.11
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 18, 2013
My daily work here in Electrical and Computer Department, University of Waterloo as a Postdoctoral Fellow includes research, design, development, and modification of Telecommunication systems. Here, we co-operate CIENA the network specialist company. We mainly focus to simulation and design of Physical layer of Optical Channel and use MATLAB and C/C++. Also, co-operate with CST-LAB to evaluate and simulate some Wireless standard like LTE, IEEE 802.11,....
Research and design of Smart Grid
Graduate RA & TA (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 11, 2014
I have worked as a Graduate Research Assistant (RA) and Teaching Assistant (TA) in this University. I have conducted research on Smart Grid design for two years with the collaboration of NSERC Smart Migrogrid Network (NSMG-NET). I have successfully concluded my research work with a new approach of real-time control of large load (Residential, Commercial & Industrial) modeling from Smart grid perspective.
Excellent experience at University of Waterloo
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 21, 2013
Great management of teaching assistants.

Excellent hourly wage rate.
a good place for graduate students in statistics
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONAugust 15, 2012
Pros: cover my tuition fee
Cons: sometimes tedious
We ran weekly office hour, conducted tutorial, proctored exam, marked assignment and exam papers. This work has enabled me to review the statistical techniques which are the foundation of advanced methodologies. Also, running the SAS tutorial has helped me to understand all the basic operations in SAS. In addition, helping students check their SAS code has improved my orientation to detail as well as SAS knowledge.
A great first Coop placement
Computer Systems Assistant Sr. (Coop) (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONDecember 15, 2013
Working for the University of Waterloo coop workplace has many advantages for students. With the flexibility and option to have a side load of courses on campus is a great perk. A typical day at work as a Computer Systems Assistant will include, providing support for the staff, professors and students, backing up computer data and maintaining a database of all computers in the department, and working with the the network in the wiring closet.
Boring and chaotic
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 5, 2012
Not Bad, don't complain anyway. Coworkers are good. management is sloppy.
Great work environment with friendly people and key challenges!
Waterloo Arts Orientation Coordinator (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 4, 2013
The opportunity to work at the University of Waterloo and serve the local community is greatly beneficial to developing personal and professional relationships. They help develop current students into well-rounded employees in the workforce by encouraging teamwork, creativity and problem-solving and always serve as wonderful mentors.
Fun and fulfilling place to work
Community Co-ordinator (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 18, 2013
My position has given me many opportunities to develop myself over a broad spectrum of traits. I have had the opportunity to present a week long training session, manage 12 staff, conduct and receive performance evaluations, and a number of others. This has been a very rewarding and supportive position working with a very positive team environment.
Enjoyable and passion-filled workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONAugust 15, 2013
Pros: great hours, friendly workers, interesting work
Cons: n/a
I worked in one of the research labs in the Psychology department at Waterloo. The lab gave me a lot of opportunities to pursue interesting research and independent projects. The people I worked with were phenomenal in every respect and I really enjoyed the work I did while I was there, as well as the environment.
Very practical project, getting to know in depth about forensic geophysics with electromagnetic survey
Project Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 23, 2013
Pros: gaining hands on experience on the geophysical survey
Cons: fairly long distance to the field site
- typically there were few of field days where I actually got to go out in field and take measurements at the test plots. Other than field days, most of the time was spent plotting contour maps of apparent conductivity and filtering them into simplified versions. Moreover, I analyzed different phenomena happening within the subsurface with contour maps.
- I learned the proficiency and efficacy of electromagnetic survey in forensic investigation, as well as the shortcomings of it in certain situations. Moreover, I learned how to use various equipments such as EM-38, as well as software called Surfer 10.
- My co-worker was one of the graduate students in the department, who was extremely helpful with all the knowledge and experiences he had.
- The hardest part of the job was carrying out the survey even in harsh weather conditions (heavy snow, low temperature, etc)
- The most enjoyable part of the job was getting invovled in the forensic investigation, where pig cadavers and firearms were buried and results of contour maps coincide with expected outcomes
A very nice place to work with constant new technologies and information to acquire and master.
Research Assistant & MATLAB Programmer (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: initially a high learning curve
Working at the School of Optometry at the University of Waterloo has been great. It provides an excellent opportunity to keep one's skills current as well as master new skills/concepts.
Professional working environment with opportunities to advance
Research assistant and Data entry clerk (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 12, 2013
A typical day involved working with no supervision in order to execute a variety of tasks; contacting future and present participants, tracking results of the Developmental Psychology lab's studies, entering the data, and discussing the results. There is a strong community at the University.
Productive, Stress free work environment
Web Developer (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 29, 2014
Pros: felexible hours
• Built and maintained server side and client side software programs
• Designed web pages, web Interfaces, graphics, images
• Developed builds, scripts, installation procedures, and systems including source code control and issue tracking
• Database schema design and administration
Met a lot of new people and improved my public speaking skills
Math Orientation Leader and Student Mentor (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 2, 2012
1. Trained to motivate thousands of incoming University of Waterloo students
2. Worked with 10 other leaders and lead a group of 100 students and effectively communicated instructions to them
3. Followed up with 17 first year students to ensure if they are well accustomed to the new environment
Hard working and innovative
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 15, 2014
University of Waterloo famous for its co-educational program. It has very high reputation in Science and Engineering. There are nearly 26,000 undergraduate and over 4,000 post-graduate students. Alumni and former students of the university can be found across Canada and in over 140 countries.
Headquarters