University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Rewarding experience
Supported Learning Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 April 2014
The work I did with the Student Success Office and the department of Economics at UW was based on providing ECON 101 students with a safe and inviting learning environment that promoted self learning and good studying habits as well as reinstating the lecture content through biweekly supported learning group sessions. It was a great experience helping students not only understand lecture material but also help them in understanding university life, school dynamics and opportunities available academically and socially on campus.
Promoted the Residences at UWaterloo
Residence Marketer and Promoter (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 March 2014
- Helped set up various promotions and events (such as University-wide events like We Day)
- Most enjoyable part of the job was working with a team of three others; we got to work together to come up with media content for marketing (such as contests and video blogs)
- My management was great; they met weekly with us and we discussed ideas and went about or work on our own time.
Pros
Great networking
Cons
Less larger event planning
a good place for graduate students in statistics
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 August 2012
We ran weekly office hour, conducted tutorial, proctored exam, marked assignment and exam papers. This work has enabled me to review the statistical techniques which are the foundation of advanced methodologies. Also, running the SAS tutorial has helped me to understand all the basic operations in SAS. In addition, helping students check their SAS code has improved my orientation to detail as well as SAS knowledge.
Pros
cover my tuition fee
Cons
sometimes tedious
Excellent Work Environment and Hours
Lecturer, Faculty of Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 November 2012
* Great support from colleagues and other staff members.
* Relaxed Atmosphere, definitely not a 9 - 5 job, but ``work according to your schedule'' job. For example, in a typical term, I only am required to be around campus for a total of 9 hours in a week.
* Friendly co-workers and management.
* Great chance for networking with other students and professionals.
* The hardest part of the job is grading the exams.
* The best part of the job is interacting with the students inside and outside the class room.
Pros
flexibility in work hours.
Design, research, evaluation and simulation of Otical channel channel and wireless standars like LTE, IEEE 802.11
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 April 2013
My daily work here in Electrical and Computer Department, University of Waterloo as a Postdoctoral Fellow includes research, design, development, and modification of Telecommunication systems. Here, we co-operate CIENA the network specialist company. We mainly focus to simulation and design of Physical layer of Optical Channel and use MATLAB and C/C++. Also, co-operate with CST-LAB to evaluate and simulate some Wireless standard like LTE, IEEE 802.11,....
Fun and exciting work place
Shelf Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 May 2013
It was a great working environment. Management was very friendly and made everyone feel as part of a team. Within the organization I did tasks such as:

•Removed university library books from shelves and efficiently cleaned shelves
•Organized and maintained shelves in proper sequence to ensure accuracy and accessibility
•Worked in multiple library locations across campus
•Followed safe work practices in support of the University of Waterloo Health and Safety Policy
Independent, enjoyable work
Ambassador Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 July 2013
A typical day was arriving at the office, gathering my calling sheet and proceeding with going down my list making my calls. I learned how to become more comfortable with phone conversations. I did not interact too much with my co-workers but we did converse on breaks and I got along with everyone I talked to. The most enjoyable part of my job was talking with the prospected students and making them feel comfortable, as well as excited about coming to University.
Pros
Timbits were always available to us
Cons
I worked in a small office with 3 other people, it was a challenge when having a phone conversation to talk over one another
A great first Coop placement
Computer Systems Assistant Sr. (Coop) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 December 2013
Working for the University of Waterloo coop workplace has many advantages for students. With the flexibility and option to have a side load of courses on campus is a great perk. A typical day at work as a Computer Systems Assistant will include, providing support for the staff, professors and students, backing up computer data and maintaining a database of all computers in the department, and working with the the network in the wiring closet.
Fascinating courses with the incredible coop program
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 February 2014
Its been only 8 months for me in University of Waterloo and it has taught me so much. I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have gained in these months and for the diverse group of people I had the chance to meet. I have seen that it is an innovative, world-class institution. Academically, I experienced the fascinating management sciences courses offered by Waterloo’s Faculty of Engineering. I learned how interesting and broad the field of management sciences truly is. I learned about how organizations achieve business success and about how the economy functions. Overall, the first semester of my program was academically rigorous and extremely rewarding.
New residence, new life
Residence Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 July 2013
I chose to be a residence ambassador of Ron Eydt Village in Universoty of Waterloo because I knew I wanted to become involved and make it my home away from home as a first year. I also wanted to share my experience of living in residence to prospective first year students. The job demanded positive outgoing attitude towards the residnce and all in all was done with minimal supervision. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting new people and gaining experience in work force.
Pros
Work Experience
Cons
non
Great flexible environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 February 2013
The management is great, very understanding of my school work and my other priorities. The schedule is flexible, as I can go and leave work as long as I complete the required hours for the day. The job lets me work at my own pace, as long as the work is completed with minimal supervision. The only challenging part of the job is paying particular attention to detail because even one minor mistake can cause a huge liability to the library.
Giving back to the community
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 September 2013
When I first went to the University of Waterloo, I became a general member. Soon after, I saw the potential for the club to become better in terms of teaching breakdancing and running community events.

Soon after, I became the Vice-President and started running the lesson plans for classes. I also created community events to benefit the students and dancers in the community because Waterloo lacked competitions.

I also had the privilege to work with other dancers that had their unique experiences to put into our events and dance classes. The hardest part of being the Vice-President was splitting tasks for different events to certain people and making sure that everybody would complete their work.
Recruiting highschool student athletes
Football Coach (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, Ontario21 May 2013
A typical day would be researching the available football players that want to attend university. Start off the morning with phone calls to kids and mailing letters to them that we are interested in coming to our school. In the afternoon would leave the office and go and scout the talented student athletes that we think will be successful in our program academically and athletically. Getting the athlete to commit to our school because of our high academic qualifications that are needed to get in. The best part of the job is working with many different coaches learning something new everyday.
Pros
own hours, meeting new student athletes, coaching the kids up to become better football players
Cons
seasonal
Best place to enhance your academic and professional skills
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON, Canada6 October 2015
Best School in Canada for innovation and research. In the fast growing research in nano technology and quantum mechanics, UW is ahead of many other universities.
Research and design of Smart Grid
Graduate RA & TA (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 July 2014
I have worked as a Graduate Research Assistant (RA) and Teaching Assistant (TA) in this University. I have conducted research on Smart Grid design for two years with the collaboration of NSERC Smart Migrogrid Network (NSMG-NET). I have successfully concluded my research work with a new approach of real-time control of large load (Residential, Commercial & Industrial) modeling from Smart grid perspective.
U of Waterloo KSA
Promotion and Advertisement manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 February 2014
UWKSA have over 400 student members, and we host various events. As a promotion manager, I created advertisement posters for events and lead to a successful event that raised fund for UWKSA. As a student at U of Waterloo, it was hard to time manage between tasks for UWKSA and school work. However, I enjoyed meeting new people and socializing, organizing help sessions for 1st year students was worthwhile.
Great work environment with friendly people and key challenges!
Waterloo Arts Orientation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 June 2013
The opportunity to work at the University of Waterloo and serve the local community is greatly beneficial to developing personal and professional relationships. They help develop current students into well-rounded employees in the workforce by encouraging teamwork, creativity and problem-solving and always serve as wonderful mentors.
First official Job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 September 2013
I loved this job since the professor I worked with was truly amazing. He understood that our education comes first and that we have a lot of things to balance in our life. He gave a chance for First-year students to help him research, and luckily I was one of the few chosen. I had to sort out through many articles and try to filter them out according to the categories that were provided by my prof. It was a good experience but interrupted by unfortunate incidences like my laptop being stolen when I was not in the country, I had to repeat the entire research I've worked on for 4 months within a week or so and sent it in as soon as possible. It was hard but I did it. Again, I didn't really work for money, but I worked for experience.
Pros
Flexible timing, not stressful
Enjoyable and passion-filled workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 August 2013
I worked in one of the research labs in the Psychology department at Waterloo. The lab gave me a lot of opportunities to pursue interesting research and independent projects. The people I worked with were phenomenal in every respect and I really enjoyed the work I did while I was there, as well as the environment.
Pros
Great hours, friendly workers, interesting work
Cons
N/A
Good environment for research
Graduate Research Student (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 November 2015
time flexible
Supportive
Computational resource
The most enjoyable prat of the job was working along my colleagues and learning from them.

4.6