University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Fun atmosphere
Customer Service Representative, Mudie's Cafe (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 June 2013
Worked in food services
served food and cleaned up
did cash
management was very nice
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
A great place to work at
Casual Library Clerk (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 October 2015
The Geospatial Centre has a very supportive environment, everyone who takes interest in learning GIS or seeking advice in their projects involving GIS applications will find their answers here. Occasionally there are internal projects that aims to provide convenience to other people.
Fun place to work
Fieldwork Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 October 2015
This work allowed me to get hands on experience to work with nature. This work also allowed me to get some valuable work experience while being enrolled at the University.
Pros
Hands on experience
Cons
Short term position
Good environment for research
Graduate Research Student (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 November 2015
time flexible
Supportive
Computational resource
The most enjoyable prat of the job was working along my colleagues and learning from them.
Productive and friendly work environment
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 February 2014
As a graduate student at both Master and PhD levels, I have true, hands-on experience of working in a lab in general and basic techniques in biology field in particular. Also, I am used to operating state-of-the-art equipment and monitoring maintenance schedules in lab. I have taken part in planning experiments as well as evaluating test results. In addition, I was responsible for maintaining biohazard and radiation safety standards, and ensuring proper handling of potentially hazardous chemical and biological agents.
In addition to the lab work, I have recorded, calculated, and analyzed data, and prepared reports. I work closely with a team of researchers and learned the value of good lab practice. I work well as a team member, am very reliable and organized, and willing to learn.
Fun and exciting work place
Shelf Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 May 2013
It was a great working environment. Management was very friendly and made everyone feel as part of a team. Within the organization I did tasks such as:

•Removed university library books from shelves and efficiently cleaned shelves
•Organized and maintained shelves in proper sequence to ensure accuracy and accessibility
•Worked in multiple library locations across campus
•Followed safe work practices in support of the University of Waterloo Health and Safety Policy
lack of leadership but great learning experience
Part time job making and serving food to customers (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 April 2015
On a typical work day, I served university students working at a variety of places such as pita pit, pizza pizza, subway, teriyaki and booster juice. I have plenty of cashier experience dealing with the point of sale system and with each shift, I worked with new people so I have developed great people skills with both my coworkers and my customers. The most enjoyable part about the job was getting to know new people and developing the skills that I developed
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
constant turn over in staff
First official Job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 September 2013
I loved this job since the professor I worked with was truly amazing. He understood that our education comes first and that we have a lot of things to balance in our life. He gave a chance for First-year students to help him research, and luckily I was one of the few chosen. I had to sort out through many articles and try to filter them out according to the categories that were provided by my prof. It was a good experience but interrupted by unfortunate incidences like my laptop being stolen when I was not in the country, I had to repeat the entire research I've worked on for 4 months within a week or so and sent it in as soon as possible. It was hard but I did it. Again, I didn't really work for money, but I worked for experience.
Pros
Flexible timing, not stressful
Marking assignment and proctor exams
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 October 2015
I enjoy woking in the University of Waterloo. The average work load is 5 hour / week. They gave us extra $1,000 as an award each term.
Recruiting highschool student athletes
Football Coach (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, Ontario21 May 2013
A typical day would be researching the available football players that want to attend university. Start off the morning with phone calls to kids and mailing letters to them that we are interested in coming to our school. In the afternoon would leave the office and go and scout the talented student athletes that we think will be successful in our program academically and athletically. Getting the athlete to commit to our school because of our high academic qualifications that are needed to get in. The best part of the job is working with many different coaches learning something new everyday.
Pros
own hours, meeting new student athletes, coaching the kids up to become better football players
Cons
seasonal
Giving back to the community
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 September 2013
When I first went to the University of Waterloo, I became a general member. Soon after, I saw the potential for the club to become better in terms of teaching breakdancing and running community events.

Soon after, I became the Vice-President and started running the lesson plans for classes. I also created community events to benefit the students and dancers in the community because Waterloo lacked competitions.

I also had the privilege to work with other dancers that had their unique experiences to put into our events and dance classes. The hardest part of being the Vice-President was splitting tasks for different events to certain people and making sure that everybody would complete their work.
Independent, enjoyable work
Ambassador Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 July 2013
A typical day was arriving at the office, gathering my calling sheet and proceeding with going down my list making my calls. I learned how to become more comfortable with phone conversations. I did not interact too much with my co-workers but we did converse on breaks and I got along with everyone I talked to. The most enjoyable part of my job was talking with the prospected students and making them feel comfortable, as well as excited about coming to University.
Pros
Timbits were always available to us
Cons
I worked in a small office with 3 other people, it was a challenge when having a phone conversation to talk over one another
Stable and promising company
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 February 2014
Great environment to work in. Flexible time schedules. Great work/life balance. Amazing management. Strict, yet friendly.
Great flexible environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 February 2013
The management is great, very understanding of my school work and my other priorities. The schedule is flexible, as I can go and leave work as long as I complete the required hours for the day. The job lets me work at my own pace, as long as the work is completed with minimal supervision. The only challenging part of the job is paying particular attention to detail because even one minor mistake can cause a huge liability to the library.
A very relaxed yet focused work environment
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 October 2014
My 1 year contract at the University of Waterloo was one of the best jobs I ever had. I found the work pace reasonable. They want you to do a good job, not a rushed job. I met so many people who were full time employees there and every one of them seemed very happy and satisfied. If you are fortunate to gain full time employment there you can even take courses at a VERY reduced rate, which is a huge bonus for those who thirst for knowledge. :)
Pros
You are treated like a person, not just a person doing a job.
Cons
Some decisions have to go through a LOT of different people so change doesn't happen too quickly.
Best place to enhance your academic and professional skills
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON, Canada6 October 2015
Best School in Canada for innovation and research. In the fast growing research in nano technology and quantum mechanics, UW is ahead of many other universities.
good
Marketing Advisory Board (Former Employee) –  kitchener waterloo24 April 2014
• I enjoyed the people I worked with.
• A friendly and fun atmosphere and I actually enjoyed going to meetings each week.
• I felt the leadership team was great as well.
• They knew all of the members on a first name basis and tried to make those personal connections, like what program we were in and what midterms or exams we have.

• I liked how you could express anything on your mind about the topic at hand.
• Everyone’s opinion was discussed no matter how silly the idea was.
• The leader of the meeting would love to hear everything we had to say.
• I felt very welcomed there.

• I felt I was not challenged enough at the job.
• While I did enjoy working there and appreciate the skills I developed while with the board,
• I felt my skill set could be better utilized elsewhere.
• Mainly focused on marketing, but I am an accounting and finance student with capable knowledge of using excel, word and working with numbers such accounts receivables, internal costing decisions and reconciliations.

• There was no room for advancement in the board.
• Even if you gave the most creative ideas to dramatically improve the marketing of residence, there was no higher position to promote to.
• Wanted the opportunity for more responsibility if the team leaders saw that I could handle it.
Pros
people
Cons
no advancement
Fun place to work with great people
Server (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 January 2015
There really is not typical day at work because there are such a variety of events that I could help cater. Most of the time, the events that are planned are very organized. My co-workers were great to work with as everyone did their share and got along. The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable and that is the fact that everyday is different. Everyday I am learning something new. Also, for a few dollars off my pay, I was able to eat whatever food that I was serving.
Pros
Good food, great people and fun work
Cons
Unpredictatable hours
Student at the University of Waterloo
Research Study Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 March 2015
As a student, there were countless hours of studying, dozens of all nighters, hundreds of lecture slides of material, and one great achievement. I learnt everything there is to know about the human body and how it works, what its made of and how to help preserve it. My colleagues were excellent, as were my professors. The hardest part was studying for long periods of time, but the greatest part was all of the great people you met with the same interests as yourself.
Rewarding experience
Supported Learning Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 April 2014
The work I did with the Student Success Office and the department of Economics at UW was based on providing ECON 101 students with a safe and inviting learning environment that promoted self learning and good studying habits as well as reinstating the lecture content through biweekly supported learning group sessions. It was a great experience helping students not only understand lecture material but also help them in understanding university life, school dynamics and opportunities available academically and socially on campus.

4.6