University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Great opportunity for Working students
Aquatic Instructor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 May 2016
The University of Waterloo recreation facilities provide a great working environment for their students. the hours are very fluid and adapted to the school schedule. The locations are always at the university and very accessible. The staff mainly consists of other students that an employee can relate to.
Promoted the Residences at UWaterloo
Residence Marketer and Promoter (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 March 2014
- Helped set up various promotions and events (such as University-wide events like We Day)
- Most enjoyable part of the job was working with a team of three others; we got to work together to come up with media content for marketing (such as contests and video blogs)
- My management was great; they met weekly with us and we discussed ideas and went about or work on our own time.
Pros
Great networking
Cons
Less larger event planning
Pretty good
Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 January 2016
You're basically around people like yourself all the time. Everybody usually gets along and are always determined to fulfill their responsibilities rather quickly. Everyone is usually willing to help out and management is flexible with your schedule.
Exceptional academic rigor and broad opportunities for learning and teaching in the clinical setting
Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 September 2015
Working at the University of Waterloo, School of Pharmacy provided an opportunity for community engaged scholarship, clinical research and involvement in developing best practices in the field of Pharmacy practice. Leadership supports all staff and students through interdisciplinary team work and access to technologies and other resources to enhance teaching and learning.
Pros
Resources, Leadership, Collegiality
Cons
few advancement opportunities for Adjunct Faculty
U of Waterloo KSA
Promotion and Advertisement manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 February 2014
UWKSA have over 400 student members, and we host various events. As a promotion manager, I created advertisement posters for events and lead to a successful event that raised fund for UWKSA. As a student at U of Waterloo, it was hard to time manage between tasks for UWKSA and school work. However, I enjoyed meeting new people and socializing, organizing help sessions for 1st year students was worthwhile.
Fast-paced environment, changing on a day-to-day basis
Science Outreach Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 April 2016
As I was a volunteer at the university, I was not paid. Nonetheless, this experience allowed me to learn greatly. I was constantly exposed to different individuals whom I was able to share with the interest of science. On a typical day at work, I was visiting an elementary school and was prepared to show several scientific demonstrations to children.
Great experience
VICE PRESIDENT (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 February 2016
Great workplace. Really enjoyed working here at the Federation of Students

Great staff and good place to work at.The University of Waterloo offers a lot of benefits.
good work place
Full time Master's student ECE (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 February 2016
fun in working there. Good managers,good ethics,good rules and regulations,good working environments,good administration,good every thing.
Pros
good salary
Cons
nil
Fun
Executive Math Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 May 2016
I get to train a group of ambassadors who performed their duties perfectly. As a result, UWaterloo's Faculty of Mathematics received positive feedback and reviews for our Open House Events.
Pros
Free T shirt and food
Great way to earn money as a student
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 April 2016
I worked as a research assistant in a lab on campus. It was as many hours a week as I wanted and it was a great way to get involved. I was able to make a bit of money at school as well as build up a network of professionals. I wish I would have started earlier.
Productive and fun work place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 May 2016
Productive and fun work place
very friendly working environment
professional education
beautiful environment
I learned a lot from my supervisors and colleague.
The Uw
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 November 2015
Fun place to work with some what supportive management. It wasn't always about the numbers but about how the customers and staff felt. I most enjoyed about working there was how you could learn new things from the other staff and how they learned things from you.
Great Profs and Peers
Assisting a professor. (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 January 2016
Canada's best university in engineering. Profs have industry connections that can help launch your career. Profs understand students in a very personalized way.
Fascinating courses with the incredible coop program
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 February 2014
Its been only 8 months for me in University of Waterloo and it has taught me so much. I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have gained in these months and for the diverse group of people I had the chance to meet. I have seen that it is an innovative, world-class institution. Academically, I experienced the fascinating management sciences courses offered by Waterloo’s Faculty of Engineering. I learned how interesting and broad the field of management sciences truly is. I learned about how organizations achieve business success and about how the economy functions. Overall, the first semester of my program was academically rigorous and extremely rewarding.
Internship at my University
IT Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 November 2014
 Tested and repaired activities associated with network and telecommunications applications
 Resolved technical problems for network applications, hardware and software
 Acted as a technical resource in assisting users and the Help Desk to resolve incidents
 Performed Network Security activities such as SAP, LAN and system backup and recovery
 Ensured security was appropriate for each team members and controlled access to various applications
 Interacted with the Project Management team and vendors on software and hardware in the implementation and configuration of the technology solution
Pros
Familiar and quiet environment.
Cons
nothing
Intriguing research
Nanotechnology Researcher (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 April 2016
Very friendly working group and encourages self-learning. Good for students who want to pursue higher education or interested in research.
Great place to work to gain experience for my future in a career in policing.
PARKING CONTROL OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, N12 October 2015
This position allowed me to gain experience in ticket writing, note taking, etc. which will be beneficial for a career in policing. I enjoyed my co-workers and the duties in which I was assigned.
Pros
The fact that I had multiple duties and not the same thing all the time.
Cons
Contract position.
Excellent Work Environment and Hours
Lecturer, Faculty of Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 November 2012
* Great support from colleagues and other staff members.
* Relaxed Atmosphere, definitely not a 9 - 5 job, but ``work according to your schedule'' job. For example, in a typical term, I only am required to be around campus for a total of 9 hours in a week.
* Friendly co-workers and management.
* Great chance for networking with other students and professionals.
* The hardest part of the job is grading the exams.
* The best part of the job is interacting with the students inside and outside the class room.
Pros
flexibility in work hours.
Good work culture
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 April 2016
I am a teaching assistant there. Co-worker is my professor. I hold office hours and tutorials for undergrad students. I also prepare study materials and upload them online.
Good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 August 2014
I come to university at 9:30 and start my work by answering questions from students about the course. Every week, I set up an office hour specifically for answering students' questions. As well, I give them tutorial weekly. I used to prepare some relevant materials such as summarizing the concepts and making up corresponding questions before the tutorials.My colleges are masters and phd students. Sometimes, I will face with a lot of tasks at one time and have to management them wisely. However, when I get compliments from professors and students, I feel extremely happy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Waterloo. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6