University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

A great place to work at
Casual Library Clerk (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 October 2015
The Geospatial Centre has a very supportive environment, everyone who takes interest in learning GIS or seeking advice in their projects involving GIS applications will find their answers here. Occasionally there are internal projects that aims to provide convenience to other people.
The Uw
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 November 2015
Fun place to work with some what supportive management. It wasn't always about the numbers but about how the customers and staff felt. I most enjoyed about working there was how you could learn new things from the other staff and how they learned things from you.
Multi culture work and study place with a lot for learning
1- Supervisor of academic research projects (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 January 2016
I learn a lot every day at UW.
I am studying Non-destructive testing.
Mu co-workers are students from all over the world.
Great Profs and Peers
Assisting a professor. (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 January 2016
Canada's best university in engineering. Profs have industry connections that can help launch your career. Profs understand students in a very personalized way.
Good
Physics Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 December 2015
Good research experience with my professor. Sometimes little or no help was given on a programming problem and need a lot of individual, unsupported work.
Fun place to work
Fieldwork Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 October 2015
This work allowed me to get hands on experience to work with nature. This work also allowed me to get some valuable work experience while being enrolled at the University.
Pros
Hands on experience
Cons
Short term position
lack of leadership but great learning experience
Part time job making and serving food to customers (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 April 2015
On a typical work day, I served university students working at a variety of places such as pita pit, pizza pizza, subway, teriyaki and booster juice. I have plenty of cashier experience dealing with the point of sale system and with each shift, I worked with new people so I have developed great people skills with both my coworkers and my customers. The most enjoyable part about the job was getting to know new people and developing the skills that I developed
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
constant turn over in staff
Best place to enhance your academic and professional skills
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON, Canada6 October 2015
Best School in Canada for innovation and research. In the fast growing research in nano technology and quantum mechanics, UW is ahead of many other universities.
Student at the University of Waterloo
Research Study Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 March 2015
As a student, there were countless hours of studying, dozens of all nighters, hundreds of lecture slides of material, and one great achievement. I learnt everything there is to know about the human body and how it works, what its made of and how to help preserve it. My colleagues were excellent, as were my professors. The hardest part was studying for long periods of time, but the greatest part was all of the great people you met with the same interests as yourself.
Good environment for research
Graduate Research Student (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 November 2015
time flexible
Supportive
Computational resource
The most enjoyable prat of the job was working along my colleagues and learning from them.
Work experience at University of waterloo
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 January 2015
A typical day often started with responding to students` emails and text messages regarding assignment guidelines. During office hours, you were required to provide guidance and review students assignment. The fun part was doing tutorials with students, you got to learn a lot. The hardest part of this job was to respond to all the quiries from students. Nonetheless, the learning experience and sense of accomplishment was rewarding.
Pros
Rewarding experience, educational benefits
Cons
short deadlines and long hours of sitting to correct student`s assignments
Fun place to work with great people
Server (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 January 2015
There really is not typical day at work because there are such a variety of events that I could help cater. Most of the time, the events that are planned are very organized. My co-workers were great to work with as everyone did their share and got along. The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable and that is the fact that everyday is different. Everyday I am learning something new. Also, for a few dollars off my pay, I was able to eat whatever food that I was serving.
Pros
Good food, great people and fun work
Cons
Unpredictatable hours
Great work, lots of variety, limited movement through the organization
Teaching and Programming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 November 2014
I only worked for the University of Waterloo through several co-op positions and as a part-time marker so, as a temporary employee, UW has a lot to offer both in terms of compensation and work-life-balance. I had the opportunity to try lots of different tasks at each position with limited guidance. This allowed me to try out various responsibilities in my role but due to the nature of each position, I wasn't able to move around the departments. My co-workers were very open and helpful which helped demonstrate the culture of UW as a place of innovation and collaboration.
Pros
Great coworkers and flexible work schedule
Cons
limited movement
Internship at my University
IT Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 November 2014
 Tested and repaired activities associated with network and telecommunications applications
 Resolved technical problems for network applications, hardware and software
 Acted as a technical resource in assisting users and the Help Desk to resolve incidents
 Performed Network Security activities such as SAP, LAN and system backup and recovery
 Ensured security was appropriate for each team members and controlled access to various applications
 Interacted with the Project Management team and vendors on software and hardware in the implementation and configuration of the technology solution
Pros
Familiar and quiet environment.
Cons
nothing
A very relaxed yet focused work environment
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 October 2014
My 1 year contract at the University of Waterloo was one of the best jobs I ever had. I found the work pace reasonable. They want you to do a good job, not a rushed job. I met so many people who were full time employees there and every one of them seemed very happy and satisfied. If you are fortunate to gain full time employment there you can even take courses at a VERY reduced rate, which is a huge bonus for those who thirst for knowledge. :)
Pros
You are treated like a person, not just a person doing a job.
Cons
Some decisions have to go through a LOT of different people so change doesn't happen too quickly.
The best working environment
Research Assistant, (Full Time Graduate student) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 September 2015
University of Waterloo provided the best work environment, Working there as a research and teaching assistant made me learn lot of stuff and was really challenging.
very productive and cooperative co-workers
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 August 2014
A typical day at the job starts with a fresh cup coffee. The working environment is so friendly and refreshing. what I have learnt from this job is how to handle stress and be productive through out the day. I have learnt to take challenges and handle every situation no matter how hard it maybe. The management team and the co-workers were extremely cooperative and helpful. the hardest part of the job was, off course, the long hours but anyhow I have managed it very well at my own. The most enjoyable part was the co-workers and the professor I was working under, they made my days at work go by so quick and easy.
Pros
easy going, less hectic
Cons
Good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 August 2014
I come to university at 9:30 and start my work by answering questions from students about the course. Every week, I set up an office hour specifically for answering students' questions. As well, I give them tutorial weekly. I used to prepare some relevant materials such as summarizing the concepts and making up corresponding questions before the tutorials.My colleges are masters and phd students. Sometimes, I will face with a lot of tasks at one time and have to management them wisely. However, when I get compliments from professors and students, I feel extremely happy.
Fun place
Student (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 December 2015
Learn a lot of technical Skills from my school and grow my computer knowledge there. A good place for networking with professionals.
Rewarding experience
Supported Learning Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 April 2014
The work I did with the Student Success Office and the department of Economics at UW was based on providing ECON 101 students with a safe and inviting learning environment that promoted self learning and good studying habits as well as reinstating the lecture content through biweekly supported learning group sessions. It was a great experience helping students not only understand lecture material but also help them in understanding university life, school dynamics and opportunities available academically and socially on campus.

4.6