University of Waterloo Employee Reviews in Canada

Great place to study
Research & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 9, 2015
Quiet town, educated population.

Laid back Work culture, too laid back at times...

But best place to study in Canada for Computer Science
Work experience at University of waterloo
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 20, 2015
A typical day often started with responding to students` emails and text messages regarding assignment guidelines. During office hours, you were required to provide guidance and review students assignment. The fun part was doing tutorials with students, you got to learn a lot. The hardest part of this job was to respond to all the quiries from students. Nonetheless, the learning experience and sense of accomplishment was rewarding.
Pros
rewarding experience, educational benefits
Cons
short deadlines and long hours of sitting to correct student`s assignments
Good salary and environment for students as part-time jobs
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 6, 2015
• Good salary and environment for students as part-time jobs
• Flexible time of working
• Required regular communications
Great work, lots of variety, limited movement through the organization
Teaching and Programming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 22, 2014
I only worked for the University of Waterloo through several co-op positions and as a part-time marker so, as a temporary employee, UW has a lot to offer both in terms of compensation and work-life-balance. I had the opportunity to try lots of different tasks at each position with limited guidance. This allowed me to try out various responsibilities in my role but due to the nature of each position, I wasn't able to move around the departments. My co-workers were very open and helpful which helped demonstrate the culture of UW as a place of innovation and collaboration.
Pros
great coworkers and flexible work schedule
Cons
limited movement
Internship at my University
IT Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 18, 2014
 Tested and repaired activities associated with network and telecommunications applications
 Resolved technical problems for network applications, hardware and software
 Acted as a technical resource in assisting users and the Help Desk to resolve incidents
 Performed Network Security activities such as SAP, LAN and system backup and recovery
 Ensured security was appropriate for each team members and controlled access to various applications
 Interacted with the Project Management team and vendors on software and hardware in the implementation and configuration of the technology solution
Pros
familiar and quiet environment.
Cons
nothing
A very relaxed yet focused work environment
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 2, 2014
My 1 year contract at the University of Waterloo was one of the best jobs I ever had. I found the work pace reasonable. They want you to do a good job, not a rushed job. I met so many people who were full time employees there and every one of them seemed very happy and satisfied. If you are fortunate to gain full time employment there you can even take courses at a VERY reduced rate, which is a huge bonus for those who thirst for knowledge. :)
Pros
you are treated like a person, not just a person doing a job.
Cons
some decisions have to go through a lot of different people so change doesn't happen too quickly.
fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 10, 2015
Nice professors and fellows, fun to communicate with students. Lead the lab section independently and guide students' assignments.
very productive and cooperative co-workers
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 26, 2014
A typical day at the job starts with a fresh cup coffee. The working environment is so friendly and refreshing. what I have learnt from this job is how to handle stress and be productive through out the day. I have learnt to take challenges and handle every situation no matter how hard it maybe. The management team and the co-workers were extremely cooperative and helpful. the hardest part of the job was, off course, the long hours but anyhow I have managed it very well at my own. The most enjoyable part was the co-workers and the professor I was working under, they made my days at work go by so quick and easy.
Pros
easy going, less hectic
Cons
Good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 9, 2014
I come to university at 9:30 and start my work by answering questions from students about the course. Every week, I set up an office hour specifically for answering students' questions. As well, I give them tutorial weekly. I used to prepare some relevant materials such as summarizing the concepts and making up corresponding questions before the tutorials.My colleges are masters and phd students. Sometimes, I will face with a lot of tasks at one time and have to management them wisely. However, when I get compliments from professors and students, I feel extremely happy.
Research and design of Smart Grid
Graduate RA & TA (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 11, 2014
I have worked as a Graduate Research Assistant (RA) and Teaching Assistant (TA) in this University. I have conducted research on Smart Grid design for two years with the collaboration of NSERC Smart Migrogrid Network (NSMG-NET). I have successfully concluded my research work with a new approach of real-time control of large load (Residential, Commercial & Industrial) modeling from Smart grid perspective.
Rewarding experience
Supported Learning Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 19, 2014
The work I did with the Student Success Office and the department of Economics at UW was based on providing ECON 101 students with a safe and inviting learning environment that promoted self learning and good studying habits as well as reinstating the lecture content through biweekly supported learning group sessions. It was a great experience helping students not only understand lecture material but also help them in understanding university life, school dynamics and opportunities available academically and socially on campus.
Promoted the Residences at UWaterloo
Residence Marketer and Promoter (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 17, 2014
- Helped set up various promotions and events (such as University-wide events like We Day)
- Most enjoyable part of the job was working with a team of three others; we got to work together to come up with media content for marketing (such as contests and video blogs)
- My management was great; they met weekly with us and we discussed ideas and went about or work on our own time.
Pros
great networking
Cons
less larger event planning
Fascinating courses with the incredible coop program
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 5, 2014
Its been only 8 months for me in University of Waterloo and it has taught me so much. I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have gained in these months and for the diverse group of people I had the chance to meet. I have seen that it is an innovative, world-class institution. Academically, I experienced the fascinating management sciences courses offered by Waterloo’s Faculty of Engineering. I learned how interesting and broad the field of management sciences truly is. I learned about how organizations achieve business success and about how the economy functions. Overall, the first semester of my program was academically rigorous and extremely rewarding.
A great first Coop placement
Computer Systems Assistant Sr. (Coop) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 15, 2013
Working for the University of Waterloo coop workplace has many advantages for students. With the flexibility and option to have a side load of courses on campus is a great perk. A typical day at work as a Computer Systems Assistant will include, providing support for the staff, professors and students, backing up computer data and maintaining a database of all computers in the department, and working with the the network in the wiring closet.
Independent, enjoyable work
Ambassador Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 17, 2013
A typical day was arriving at the office, gathering my calling sheet and proceeding with going down my list making my calls. I learned how to become more comfortable with phone conversations. I did not interact too much with my co-workers but we did converse on breaks and I got along with everyone I talked to. The most enjoyable part of my job was talking with the prospected students and making them feel comfortable, as well as excited about coming to University.
Pros
timbits were always available to us
Cons
i worked in a small office with 3 other people, it was a challenge when having a phone conversation to talk over one another
a good place for graduate students in statistics
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 15, 2012
We ran weekly office hour, conducted tutorial, proctored exam, marked assignment and exam papers. This work has enabled me to review the statistical techniques which are the foundation of advanced methodologies. Also, running the SAS tutorial has helped me to understand all the basic operations in SAS. In addition, helping students check their SAS code has improved my orientation to detail as well as SAS knowledge.
Pros
cover my tuition fee
Cons
sometimes tedious
Excellent Work Environment and Hours
Lecturer, Faculty of Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 18, 2012
* Great support from colleagues and other staff members.
* Relaxed Atmosphere, definitely not a 9 - 5 job, but ``work according to your schedule'' job. For example, in a typical term, I only am required to be around campus for a total of 9 hours in a week.
* Friendly co-workers and management.
* Great chance for networking with other students and professionals.
* The hardest part of the job is grading the exams.
* The best part of the job is interacting with the students inside and outside the class room.
Pros
flexibility in work hours.
Design, research, evaluation and simulation of Otical channel channel and wireless standars like LTE, IEEE 802.11
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 18, 2013
My daily work here in Electrical and Computer Department, University of Waterloo as a Postdoctoral Fellow includes research, design, development, and modification of Telecommunication systems. Here, we co-operate CIENA the network specialist company. We mainly focus to simulation and design of Physical layer of Optical Channel and use MATLAB and C/C++. Also, co-operate with CST-LAB to evaluate and simulate some Wireless standard like LTE, IEEE 802.11,....
Fun and exciting work place
Shelf Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 8, 2013
It was a great working environment. Management was very friendly and made everyone feel as part of a team. Within the organization I did tasks such as:

•Removed university library books from shelves and efficiently cleaned shelves
•Organized and maintained shelves in proper sequence to ensure accuracy and accessibility
•Worked in multiple library locations across campus
•Followed safe work practices in support of the University of Waterloo Health and Safety Policy
Great flexible environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 2, 2013
The management is great, very understanding of my school work and my other priorities. The schedule is flexible, as I can go and leave work as long as I complete the required hours for the day. The job lets me work at my own pace, as long as the work is completed with minimal supervision. The only challenging part of the job is paying particular attention to detail because even one minor mistake can cause a huge liability to the library.

4.6