University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
teaching is fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 1, 2013
working parttime as teaching assistant. Enjoy the flexibility in working hours
Awesome workplace
Front Desk Assistant - Housing Department (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 23, 2013
Customer service environment with lots of interaction from university faculty members and the students who were living in the respective residences.
A Great way to learn personally and help others learn
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 18, 2013
I gained and appreciation for teaching in this job. It was not enough to simply pass on information or grade a student's work.
As such I took the opportunity to appreciate what each student did well and then help them in areas where they were having trouble.
It was very rewarding overall.
First official Job
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 13, 2013
Pros: flexible timing, not stressful
I loved this job since the professor I worked with was truly amazing. He understood that our education comes first and that we have a lot of things to balance in our life. He gave a chance for First-year students to help him research, and luckily I was one of the few chosen. I had to sort out through many articles and try to filter them out according – more... to the categories that were provided by my prof. It was a good experience but interrupted by unfortunate incidences like my laptop being stolen when I was not in the country, I had to repeat the entire research I've worked on for 4 months within a week or so and sent it in as soon as possible. It was hard but I did it. Again, I didn't really work for money, but I worked for experience. – less
Professional working environment with opportunities to advance
Research assistant and Data entry clerk (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 12, 2013
A typical day involved working with no supervision in order to execute a variety of tasks; contacting future and present participants, tracking results of the Developmental Psychology lab's studies, entering the data, and discussing the results. There is a strong community at the University.
Great school specially for undergrads...
Research Associate (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONAugust 24, 2013
Great academic environment for learning, gaining experience, conducting challenging researches, multi-cultural and friendly society,...
Grad school
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, Ontario, CanadaAugust 22, 2013
I completed my grad studies here. As good an environment as any
Enjoyable and passion-filled workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONAugust 15, 2013
Pros: great hours, friendly workers, interesting work
Cons: n/a
I worked in one of the research labs in the Psychology department at Waterloo. The lab gave me a lot of opportunities to pursue interesting research and independent projects. The people I worked with were phenomenal in every respect and I really enjoyed the work I did while I was there, as well as the environment.
Great
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONAugust 9, 2013
Great place to work along with some of the smartest professors of the Country!
Very practical project, getting to know in depth about forensic geophysics with electromagnetic survey
Project Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 23, 2013
Pros: gaining hands on experience on the geophysical survey
Cons: fairly long distance to the field site
- typically there were few of field days where I actually got to go out in field and take measurements at the test plots. Other than field days, most of the time was spent plotting contour maps of apparent conductivity and filtering them into simplified versions. Moreover, I analyzed different phenomena happening within the subsurface with contour maps.
- – more... I learned the proficiency and efficacy of electromagnetic survey in forensic investigation, as well as the shortcomings of it in certain situations. Moreover, I learned how to use various equipments such as EM-38, as well as software called Surfer 10.
- My co-worker was one of the graduate students in the department, who was extremely helpful with all the knowledge and experiences he had.
- The hardest part of the job was carrying out the survey even in harsh weather conditions (heavy snow, low temperature, etc)
- The most enjoyable part of the job was getting invovled in the forensic investigation, where pig cadavers and firearms were buried and results of contour maps coincide with expected outcomes – less
Independent, enjoyable work
Ambassador Representative (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 17, 2013
Pros: timbits were always available to us
Cons: i worked in a small office with 3 other people, it was a challenge when having a phone conversation to talk over one another
A typical day was arriving at the office, gathering my calling sheet and proceeding with going down my list making my calls. I learned how to become more comfortable with phone conversations. I did not interact too much with my co-workers but we did converse on breaks and I got along with everyone I talked to. The most enjoyable part of my job was talking – more... with the prospected students and making them feel comfortable, as well as excited about coming to University. – less
Good
Teacher Assistance (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 9, 2013
My major is Economics. I learned how to do research and collect data. I also took some course related to finance. During summer break, I worked in the front line in Bank of China.
Productive, flexible schedule
Fundraiser (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 28, 2013
Comfortable environment, fund raised money for the University of Waterloo for their funding.
Excellent experience at University of Waterloo
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 21, 2013
Great management of teaching assistants.

Excellent hourly wage rate.
Fun atmosphere
Customer Service Representative, Mudie's Cafe (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 4, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
Worked in food services
served food and cleaned up
did cash
management was very nice
Great work environment with friendly people and key challenges!
Waterloo Arts Orientation Coordinator (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 4, 2013
The opportunity to work at the University of Waterloo and serve the local community is greatly beneficial to developing personal and professional relationships. They help develop current students into well-rounded employees in the workforce by encouraging teamwork, creativity and problem-solving and always serve as wonderful mentors.
University of Waterloo tour guide
Residence Tour Guide (Former Employee), OntarioMay 30, 2013
Lead small and large groups of prospective students and parents through residents.
Recruiting highschool student athletes
Football Coach (Former Employee), Waterloo, OntarioMay 21, 2013
Pros: own hours, meeting new student athletes, coaching the kids up to become better football players
Cons: seasonal
A typical day would be researching the available football players that want to attend university. Start off the morning with phone calls to kids and mailing letters to them that we are interested in coming to our school. In the afternoon would leave the office and go and scout the talented student athletes that we think will be successful in our program – more... academically and athletically. Getting the athlete to commit to our school because of our high academic qualifications that are needed to get in. The best part of the job is working with many different coaches learning something new everyday. – less
Fun and exciting work place
Shelf Cleaner (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 8, 2013
It was a great working environment. Management was very friendly and made everyone feel as part of a team. Within the organization I did tasks such as:

•Removed university library books from shelves and efficiently cleaned shelves
•Organized and maintained shelves in proper sequence to ensure accuracy and accessibility
•Worked in multiple library locations – more... across campus
•Followed safe work practices in support of the University of Waterloo Health and Safety Policy – less
Strong Electrical and Computer Engineering Program.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 24, 2013
-Very Knowledgeable and nice colleagues.
-One of the best places for building analytical and software development skills.

About University of Waterloo

The University of Waterloo is a comprehensive public university in the city of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. The school was founded – Read more

University of Waterloo Photos