University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun atmosphere
Customer Service Representative, Mudie's Cafe (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 4, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
Worked in food services
served food and cleaned up
did cash
management was very nice
Great work environment with friendly people and key challenges!
Waterloo Arts Orientation Coordinator (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 4, 2013
The opportunity to work at the University of Waterloo and serve the local community is greatly beneficial to developing personal and professional relationships. They help develop current students into well-rounded employees in the workforce by encouraging teamwork, creativity and problem-solving and always serve as wonderful mentors.
University of Waterloo tour guide
Residence Tour Guide (Former Employee), OntarioMay 30, 2013
Lead small and large groups of prospective students and parents through residents.
Recruiting highschool student athletes
Football Coach (Former Employee), Waterloo, OntarioMay 21, 2013
Pros: own hours, meeting new student athletes, coaching the kids up to become better football players
Cons: seasonal
A typical day would be researching the available football players that want to attend university. Start off the morning with phone calls to kids and mailing letters to them that we are interested in coming to our school. In the afternoon would leave the office and go and scout the talented student athletes that we think will be successful in our program – more... academically and athletically. Getting the athlete to commit to our school because of our high academic qualifications that are needed to get in. The best part of the job is working with many different coaches learning something new everyday. – less
Fun and exciting work place
Shelf Cleaner (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 8, 2013
It was a great working environment. Management was very friendly and made everyone feel as part of a team. Within the organization I did tasks such as:

•Removed university library books from shelves and efficiently cleaned shelves
•Organized and maintained shelves in proper sequence to ensure accuracy and accessibility
•Worked in multiple library locations – more... across campus
•Followed safe work practices in support of the University of Waterloo Health and Safety Policy – less
Strong Electrical and Computer Engineering Program.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 24, 2013
-Very Knowledgeable and nice colleagues.
-One of the best places for building analytical and software development skills.
Design, research, evaluation and simulation of Otical channel channel and wireless standars like LTE, IEEE 802.11
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 18, 2013
My daily work here in Electrical and Computer Department, University of Waterloo as a Postdoctoral Fellow includes research, design, development, and modification of Telecommunication systems. Here, we co-operate CIENA the network specialist company. We mainly focus to simulation and design of Physical layer of Optical Channel and use MATLAB and C/C++. – more... Also, co-operate with CST-LAB to evaluate and simulate some Wireless standard like LTE, IEEE 802.11,.... – less
A very nice place to work with constant new technologies and information to acquire and master.
Research Assistant & MATLAB Programmer (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: initially a high learning curve
Working at the School of Optometry at the University of Waterloo has been great. It provides an excellent opportunity to keep one's skills current as well as master new skills/concepts.
Fun and fulfilling place to work
Community Co-ordinator (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 18, 2013
My position has given me many opportunities to develop myself over a broad spectrum of traits. I have had the opportunity to present a week long training session, manage 12 staff, conduct and receive performance evaluations, and a number of others. This has been a very rewarding and supportive position working with a very positive team environment.
A very good research environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONFebruary 21, 2013
There are people working on all kinds of problems. Industry relations is great. The only down side is that people here work a lot, I mean a lot, and peer pressure can cause you to stop doing things you like to be able to stay competitive.
A small school but a convivial one.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: varied jobs
Cons: not many at all
A great school to begin one's career. The school was, at that time, was small and friendly. That environment made for a great working environment.
Great flexible environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONFebruary 2, 2013
The management is great, very understanding of my school work and my other priorities. The schedule is flexible, as I can go and leave work as long as I complete the required hours for the day. The job lets me work at my own pace, as long as the work is completed with minimal supervision. The only challenging part of the job is paying particular attention – more... to detail because even one minor mistake can cause a huge liability to the library. – less
Great opportunity to explore and resarch innovative and creative subjects of interest
Researcher (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 22, 2013
1) Learnt how to design experiments independently
2) Learnt to work with co-workers from different parts of the world with different experience and backgrounds
A great place to work
Project Developer / Research Assistant (Co-op) (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: the people
The University of Waterloo is a great place to work. The staff is trained well and handles all people and situations appropriately. I learned a great deal from the University including many leadership skills and project management skills. In addition I learned engineering techniques and teamwork skills.
Productive and interesting workplace
Teaching assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONDecember 28, 2012
As a teaching assistant at the University of Waterloo, I gain more experience on interpersonal communication. I helped professors solve lots of problems. I marked many assignemnts. I enjoy this work.
Excellent Work Environment and Hours
Lecturer, Faculty of Mathematics (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONNovember 18, 2012
Pros: flexibility in work hours.
* Great support from colleagues and other staff members.
* Relaxed Atmosphere, definitely not a 9 - 5 job, but ``work according to your schedule'' job. For example, in a typical term, I only am required to be around campus for a total of 9 hours in a week.
* Friendly co-workers and management.
* Great chance for networking with other students and professionals.
* – more... The hardest part of the job is grading the exams.
* The best part of the job is interacting with the students inside and outside the class room. – less
Research assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 12, 2012
I obtained extensive theoretical knowledge and hands on experience on Yb:fiber chirped pulse amplifier and nonlinear wave mixing. I simulated and developed a two-color Yb:fiber chirped pulse amplifier. I developed a tunable ultrafast mid-infrared coherent source.
Met a lot of new people and improved my public speaking skills
Math Orientation Leader and Student Mentor (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 2, 2012
1. Trained to motivate thousands of incoming University of Waterloo students
2. Worked with 10 other leaders and lead a group of 100 students and effectively communicated instructions to them
3. Followed up with 17 first year students to ensure if they are well accustomed to the new environment
Loved it
Residence Ambassador (Former Employee), WaterlooSeptember 29, 2012
People I worked with where amazing and we all got along. We are all students so we really understood each other very well.
Amazing work place with great staff.
Administrative Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: room to grow in various areas.
Cons: contract work
This job was amazing, I helped staff with all excessive work. Each task was a learning experience that added to my skills as a research capabilities. Little supervision.

About University of Waterloo

The University of Waterloo is a comprehensive public university in the city of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. The school was founded – Read more