University of Waterloo Employee Reviews in Canada

Very good
Research Engineer Part-time PhD Student (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 22, 2015
Very good and a place that challenges one intellectually and provides with lots of opportunities to pursue your technical interests and develop personally.
very good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 18, 2015
very good working environment, excellent people, student from diverse backgrounds, lots of lectures to attend, good gyms, very responsibile mentors
Student at the University of Waterloo
Research Study Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 6, 2015
As a student, there were countless hours of studying, dozens of all nighters, hundreds of lecture slides of material, and one great achievement. I learnt everything there is to know about the human body and how it works, what its made of and how to help preserve it. My colleagues were excellent, as were my professors. The hardest part was studying for long periods of time, but the greatest part was all of the great people you met with the same interests as yourself.
Great place
Teaching Assistantship (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 10, 2015
A very good place to work while studying. It gives you the basic training and also allows you to have a study/work balance.
I learned how to manage multiple task as well as how to organize
Work experience at University of waterloo
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 20, 2015
A typical day often started with responding to students` emails and text messages regarding assignment guidelines. During office hours, you were required to provide guidance and review students assignment. The fun part was doing tutorials with students, you got to learn a lot. The hardest part of this job was to respond to all the quiries from students. Nonetheless, the learning experience and sense of accomplishment was rewarding.
Pros
rewarding experience, educational benefits
Cons
short deadlines and long hours of sitting to correct student`s assignments
Great environment to work in
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 4, 2015
Great campus, research require sometime working for long hours, it all depends on supervisor or course instructor
Great work, lots of variety, limited movement through the organization
Teaching and Programming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 22, 2014
I only worked for the University of Waterloo through several co-op positions and as a part-time marker so, as a temporary employee, UW has a lot to offer both in terms of compensation and work-life-balance. I had the opportunity to try lots of different tasks at each position with limited guidance. This allowed me to try out various responsibilities in my role but due to the nature of each position, I wasn't able to move around the departments. My co-workers were very open and helpful which helped demonstrate the culture of UW as a place of innovation and collaboration.
Pros
great coworkers and flexible work schedule
Cons
limited movement
Internship at my University
IT Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 18, 2014
 Tested and repaired activities associated with network and telecommunications applications
 Resolved technical problems for network applications, hardware and software
 Acted as a technical resource in assisting users and the Help Desk to resolve incidents
 Performed Network Security activities such as SAP, LAN and system backup and recovery
 Ensured security was appropriate for each team members and controlled access to various applications
 Interacted with the Project Management team and vendors on software and hardware in the implementation and configuration of the technology solution
Pros
familiar and quiet environment.
Cons
nothing
PhD Student
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 13, 2014
I completed my PhD here in 3 years and 9 months.

My thesis was titled "Construction workflow and document diagnostics"
Excellent place to work
Summer Research Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 12, 2014
Very competitive interms of providing excellent working conditions and benefits.
A very relaxed yet focused work environment
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 2, 2014
My 1 year contract at the University of Waterloo was one of the best jobs I ever had. I found the work pace reasonable. They want you to do a good job, not a rushed job. I met so many people who were full time employees there and every one of them seemed very happy and satisfied. If you are fortunate to gain full time employment there you can even take courses at a VERY reduced rate, which is a huge bonus for those who thirst for knowledge. :)
Pros
you are treated like a person, not just a person doing a job.
Cons
some decisions have to go through a lot of different people so change doesn't happen too quickly.
Fun and cooperative place to work
Peer Leader/ Mentor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 27, 2014
It is very easy to find motivation to come into work and a very rewarding experience.
Pros
helping people
Cons
pay
Incredible education
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 18, 2014
As a current student, I am still gaining knowledge from the school, and I love my school.
Difficult but rewarding
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 18, 2014
Working and studying at UW is not easy but at the same time it is rewarding.
Productive and helpful
Examination Proctor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 16, 2014
well coordinated, helpful co-workers with leadership skills
Good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 3, 2014
Instructive supervisors

Learned research from scratch

Helpful staff
Excellent academic institution
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 3, 2014
As a renowned university, it was a pleasure working with such incredibly talented faculty.
very productive and cooperative co-workers
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 26, 2014
A typical day at the job starts with a fresh cup coffee. The working environment is so friendly and refreshing. what I have learnt from this job is how to handle stress and be productive through out the day. I have learnt to take challenges and handle every situation no matter how hard it maybe. The management team and the co-workers were extremely cooperative and helpful. the hardest part of the job was, off course, the long hours but anyhow I have managed it very well at my own. The most enjoyable part was the co-workers and the professor I was working under, they made my days at work go by so quick and easy.
Pros
easy going, less hectic
RaffaloCody
Alumni Affairs (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 15, 2014
I have nothing bad to really say, i work for my university and overall i think they did a great job of accommodating their employees. the only problem I found was that they should have more flexible/openness to employees having more hours.
Good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 9, 2014
I come to university at 9:30 and start my work by answering questions from students about the course. Every week, I set up an office hour specifically for answering students' questions. As well, I give them tutorial weekly. I used to prepare some relevant materials such as summarizing the concepts and making up corresponding questions before the tutorials.My colleges are masters and phd students. Sometimes, I will face with a lot of tasks at one time and have to management them wisely. However, when I get compliments from professors and students, I feel extremely happy.

4.6