University of Waterloo Employee Reviews in Canada

lack of leadership but great learning experience
Part time job making and serving food to customers (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 10, 2015
On a typical work day, I served university students working at a variety of places such as pita pit, pizza pizza, subway, teriyaki and booster juice. I have plenty of cashier experience dealing with the point of sale system and with each shift, I worked with new people so I have developed great people skills with both my coworkers and my customers. The most enjoyable part about the job was getting to know new people and developing the skills that I developed
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
constant turn over in staff
Good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 9, 2014
I come to university at 9:30 and start my work by answering questions from students about the course. Every week, I set up an office hour specifically for answering students' questions. As well, I give them tutorial weekly. I used to prepare some relevant materials such as summarizing the concepts and making up corresponding questions before the tutorials.My colleges are masters and phd students. Sometimes, I will face with a lot of tasks at one time and have to management them wisely. However, when I get compliments from professors and students, I feel extremely happy.
Excellent Work Environment and Hours
Lecturer, Faculty of Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 18, 2012
* Great support from colleagues and other staff members.
* Relaxed Atmosphere, definitely not a 9 - 5 job, but ``work according to your schedule'' job. For example, in a typical term, I only am required to be around campus for a total of 9 hours in a week.
* Friendly co-workers and management.
* Great chance for networking with other students and professionals.
* The hardest part of the job is grading the exams.
* The best part of the job is interacting with the students inside and outside the class room.
Pros
flexibility in work hours.
Fun atmosphere
Customer Service Representative, Mudie's Cafe (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 4, 2013
Worked in food services
served food and cleaned up
did cash
management was very nice
Pros
free lunches
Stable and promising company
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 5, 2014
Great environment to work in. Flexible time schedules. Great work/life balance. Amazing management. Strict, yet friendly.
fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 10, 2015
Nice professors and fellows, fun to communicate with students. Lead the lab section independently and guide students' assignments.
Productive, flexible schedule
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 28, 2013
Comfortable environment, fund raised money for the University of Waterloo for their funding.
Student at the University of Waterloo
Research Study Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 6, 2015
As a student, there were countless hours of studying, dozens of all nighters, hundreds of lecture slides of material, and one great achievement. I learnt everything there is to know about the human body and how it works, what its made of and how to help preserve it. My colleagues were excellent, as were my professors. The hardest part was studying for long periods of time, but the greatest part was all of the great people you met with the same interests as yourself.
Teaching Assitant (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ONApril 5, 2014
Competitive salary as a student, and its a great place to work
Fun and exciting work place
Shelf Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 8, 2013
It was a great working environment. Management was very friendly and made everyone feel as part of a team. Within the organization I did tasks such as:

•Removed university library books from shelves and efficiently cleaned shelves
•Organized and maintained shelves in proper sequence to ensure accuracy and accessibility
•Worked in multiple library locations across campus
•Followed safe work practices in support of the University of Waterloo Health and Safety Policy
Very good
Research Engineer Part-time PhD Student (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 22, 2015
Very good and a place that challenges one intellectually and provides with lots of opportunities to pursue your technical interests and develop personally.
Great flexible environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 2, 2013
The management is great, very understanding of my school work and my other priorities. The schedule is flexible, as I can go and leave work as long as I complete the required hours for the day. The job lets me work at my own pace, as long as the work is completed with minimal supervision. The only challenging part of the job is paying particular attention to detail because even one minor mistake can cause a huge liability to the library.
Great environment to work in
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 4, 2015
Great campus, research require sometime working for long hours, it all depends on supervisor or course instructor
A great place to work
Project Developer / Research Assistant (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 8, 2013
The University of Waterloo is a great place to work. The staff is trained well and handles all people and situations appropriately. I learned a great deal from the University including many leadership skills and project management skills. In addition I learned engineering techniques and teamwork skills.
Pros
the people
Graduate Student
Graduate Student - Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 23, 2013
Labs are new and open in the new Engineering building (E6), and openly customizable. Management depends on individual supervisors, but the atmosphere is professional around the building, and there are classes and meetings taking place within the building.
Pros
good common space for students
Cons
you're a student
A very relaxed yet focused work environment
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 2, 2014
My 1 year contract at the University of Waterloo was one of the best jobs I ever had. I found the work pace reasonable. They want you to do a good job, not a rushed job. I met so many people who were full time employees there and every one of them seemed very happy and satisfied. If you are fortunate to gain full time employment there you can even take courses at a VERY reduced rate, which is a huge bonus for those who thirst for knowledge. :)
Pros
you are treated like a person, not just a person doing a job.
Cons
some decisions have to go through a lot of different people so change doesn't happen too quickly.
Productive and friendly work environment
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 2, 2014
As a graduate student at both Master and PhD levels, I have true, hands-on experience of working in a lab in general and basic techniques in biology field in particular. Also, I am used to operating state-of-the-art equipment and monitoring maintenance schedules in lab. I have taken part in planning experiments as well as evaluating test results. In addition, I was responsible for maintaining biohazard and radiation safety standards, and ensuring proper handling of potentially hazardous chemical and biological agents.
In addition to the lab work, I have recorded, calculated, and analyzed data, and prepared reports. I work closely with a team of researchers and learned the value of good lab practice. I work well as a team member, am very reliable and organized, and willing to learn.
First official Job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 13, 2013
I loved this job since the professor I worked with was truly amazing. He understood that our education comes first and that we have a lot of things to balance in our life. He gave a chance for First-year students to help him research, and luckily I was one of the few chosen. I had to sort out through many articles and try to filter them out according to the categories that were provided by my prof. It was a good experience but interrupted by unfortunate incidences like my laptop being stolen when I was not in the country, I had to repeat the entire research I've worked on for 4 months within a week or so and sent it in as soon as possible. It was hard but I did it. Again, I didn't really work for money, but I worked for experience.
Pros
flexible timing, not stressful
Recruiting highschool student athletes
Football Coach (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, OntarioMay 21, 2013
A typical day would be researching the available football players that want to attend university. Start off the morning with phone calls to kids and mailing letters to them that we are interested in coming to our school. In the afternoon would leave the office and go and scout the talented student athletes that we think will be successful in our program academically and athletically. Getting the athlete to commit to our school because of our high academic qualifications that are needed to get in. The best part of the job is working with many different coaches learning something new everyday.
Pros
own hours, meeting new student athletes, coaching the kids up to become better football players
Cons
seasonal
Good work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 7, 2015
My co-workers were very friendly. My supervisor was always helpful and the general work environment was pleasant. The tasks given were not unreasonable and were always explained.

4.6