University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Very adaptable to student needs
Psychology Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 July 2016
As a psychology research assistant there is great flexibility in that you can create your own schedule and put up time slots corresponding to that.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not much room for growth
A very professional job.
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 July 2016
I worked a forty hour work week, working evenings, cleaning floors, table tops, dry and wet mopping. I was to handle the recycling and take out garbage bags daily. I also cleaned washrooms, and used ride on or walk behind sweepers and scrubbers.
Pros
paid lunchbreaks.
Cons
evening shift.
Innovation
Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 July 2016
Professors are very co-operative and accessible. Courses provides wide area of research and support creative thinking.
Everything is great!
Chemical Engineering Student (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 July 2016
I love working at this Unviersity. It is peaceful, and students there are awesome. The professors there are energetic and easyging.
Excelent experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 June 2016
I learned a lot about project management, wildlife habitat use, statistical analysis, ArcGIS, gathering field data, and surveying land.
Exciting and fun workplace with lab trips
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 May 2016
A typical day consisted of working with the international students and helping them with the assigned assignment to boost their performance in the real work environment.
I learned a lot about the Chinese culture from my students, improved my time management skills and my work ethics.
The management was very helpful. and actively cared about the wellbeing of both, the students and the mentors.
My co-workers were friendly and fun to work with.
The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable part of the job: the students!
Helping them achieve the desired standard was hard, though not impossible; and every small improvement felt like an achievement.

All in all, it was a great experience. I plan to return to this job next year too.
Pros
Free snacks
Great environment
Athlete (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 May 2016
The volleyball team was a great way to meet new people and gain athletic skills as well as team player and time management skills.
Flexible hours, studies-first mentality
Intramural Referee (off for summer) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 May 2016
Myself and the other referees would arrange our own hours based on our school schedules/related commitments. Management is very accommodating. The hardest part of the job is dealing with conflicts between players and referees (in hockey especially, things can get heated fast, and it's my job to control the situation). However, I enjoyed the job because it put me around sports that I not only enjoy watching, but playing as well.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Fun
Executive Math Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 May 2016
I get to train a group of ambassadors who performed their duties perfectly. As a result, UWaterloo's Faculty of Mathematics received positive feedback and reviews for our Open House Events.
Pros
Free T shirt and food
Productive and fun work place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 May 2016
Productive and fun work place
very friendly working environment
professional education
beautiful environment
I learned a lot from my supervisors and colleague.
Great opportunity for Working students
Aquatic Instructor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 May 2016
The University of Waterloo recreation facilities provide a great working environment for their students. the hours are very fluid and adapted to the school schedule. The locations are always at the university and very accessible. The staff mainly consists of other students that an employee can relate to.
Intriguing research
Nanotechnology Researcher (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 April 2016
Very friendly working group and encourages self-learning. Good for students who want to pursue higher education or interested in research.
Great team environment, constantly learning and travelling with the team during school term
Student Trainer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 April 2016
During the school term, I'm one of the fortunate selected few that gets to be a student therapist for the university of waterloo varsity hockey team.I love the close team environment and the unpredictable situations I get put in, whether it's massaging team members or treating a new injury, Every day is fun and enjoyable and I'm constantly learning more from my mentor (athletic therapist)
Pros
Never stop learning, being part of a team
Cons
Engaging and fun experience working with various people throughout the campus.
Residence Advisor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 April 2016
It was a few hours during the day and I had the opportunity of communicating with people and answering their questions to university life and academic balance. My coworkers were fun people to be around and work and we had a great team of people working to provide parents and students with the right information. The most difficult part of the job would be not getting paid. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting a variety of people and helping others out.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
No pay
Great way to earn money as a student
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 April 2016
I worked as a research assistant in a lab on campus. It was as many hours a week as I wanted and it was a great way to get involved. I was able to make a bit of money at school as well as build up a network of professionals. I wish I would have started earlier.
Fast-paced environment, changing on a day-to-day basis
Science Outreach Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 April 2016
As I was a volunteer at the university, I was not paid. Nonetheless, this experience allowed me to learn greatly. I was constantly exposed to different individuals whom I was able to share with the interest of science. On a typical day at work, I was visiting an elementary school and was prepared to show several scientific demonstrations to children.
Good work culture
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 April 2016
I am a teaching assistant there. Co-worker is my professor. I hold office hours and tutorials for undergrad students. I also prepare study materials and upload them online.
experience as employee depends strongly on situation
IT Director, Faculty of Arts (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 March 2016
Inconsistent leadership, fledgling ethical behaviour and management/leadership training supports, and poorly understood policies leave employees at the mercy of their direct supervisor's level of competence and engagement.
Relaxed environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 March 2016
Generally good working environment
Good location next to coffee and food stores
Good transportation accessibility
Ability to prioritize your own time for tasks
Prime work place for a student
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 February 2016
This work place provided me (a student at the University of Waterloo), to manage my work life and my student life with ease. Working in the same location where I lived (student dorms), was a good transition for me into the work place in an unfamiliar University environment. Overall, it was a great experience.
Pros
Free food during breaks
Cons
Managing student and work life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Waterloo. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6