University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

A great place to work at
Casual Library Clerk (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 9, 2015
The Geospatial Centre has a very supportive environment, everyone who takes interest in learning GIS or seeking advice in their projects involving GIS applications will find their answers here. Occasionally there are internal projects that aims to provide convenience to other people.
Good environment for research
Graduate Research Student (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 11, 2015
time flexible
Supportive
Computational resource
The most enjoyable prat of the job was working along my colleagues and learning from them.
Fun place to work
Fieldwork Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 2, 2015
This work allowed me to get hands on experience to work with nature. This work also allowed me to get some valuable work experience while being enrolled at the University.
Pros
Hands on experience
Cons
Short term position
Marking assignment and proctor exams
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 5, 2015
I enjoy woking in the University of Waterloo. The average work load is 5 hour / week. They gave us extra $1,000 as an award each term.
Best place to enhance your academic and professional skills
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON, CanadaOctober 6, 2015
Best School in Canada for innovation and research. In the fast growing research in nano technology and quantum mechanics, UW is ahead of many other universities.
Proctoring for the Economics department of the University of Waterloo is serious and a good learning experience.
Proctor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 4, 2014
20 minutes before every exam, the economics class professor, the other proctors and I carried the examination materials from the professor's office to the examination location. Together with the other proctors, I placed the exam papers in every two desks, so there is enough space between students. The room was fixed accordingly into an exam-writing environment. Once students arrived, the exam rules and guidelines were explained to them, they were told to leave their things in the front of the class, their identification were checked, and they were asked to turn off their cellphones. During the exam, if students had any concerns, which did not give them an unfair advantage over others, I would help them. We would offer students any extra pencils or pens in case theirs were misplaced or nonfunctional. I walked by the students around the room to make sure they were following the rules and not cheating. When students finished their exam, they would raise their hand for approval, raise from their seat, and hand in their exam paper. By the end of the examination period, all exams were collected and the rooms were left as they were before. We would walk back to the professors office to leave the exams and the examination materials.

I learned about discipline, organization leadership, conflict resolution, and better speech skills when managing a large audience.

We were managed by the class professor. It was a fair and relaxed treatment.

My co-workers were very supporting and willing to cooperate, for everything to flow. Everyone played a different role.

My hardest part of the job
  more... might have been knowing when to successfully identify students who tried to cheat.

The most enjoyable part was being able to manage such a huge group of students successfully, and knowing that I could have such organizational leadership skills based on my effective communication skills. I enjoyed knowing I helped keep a fair examination environment.
Internship at my University
IT Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 18, 2014
 Tested and repaired activities associated with network and telecommunications applications
 Resolved technical problems for network applications, hardware and software
 Acted as a technical resource in assisting users and the Help Desk to resolve incidents
 Performed Network Security activities such as SAP, LAN and system backup and recovery
 Ensured security was appropriate for each team members and controlled access to various applications
 Interacted with the Project Management team and vendors on software and hardware in the implementation and configuration of the technology solution
Pros
familiar and quiet environment.
Cons
nothing
The best working environment
Research Assistant, (Full Time Graduate student) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 9, 2015
University of Waterloo provided the best work environment, Working there as a research and teaching assistant made me learn lot of stuff and was really challenging.
Promoted the Residences at UWaterloo
Residence Marketer and Promoter (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 17, 2014
- Helped set up various promotions and events (such as University-wide events like We Day)
- Most enjoyable part of the job was working with a team of three others; we got to work together to come up with media content for marketing (such as contests and video blogs)
- My management was great; they met weekly with us and we discussed ideas and went about or work on our own time.
Pros
great networking
Cons
less larger event planning
Great place to study
Research & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 9, 2015
Quiet town, educated population.

Laid back Work culture, too laid back at times...

But best place to study in Canada for Computer Science
Fascinating courses with the incredible coop program
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 5, 2014
Its been only 8 months for me in University of Waterloo and it has taught me so much. I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have gained in these months and for the diverse group of people I had the chance to meet. I have seen that it is an innovative, world-class institution. Academically, I experienced the fascinating management sciences courses offered by Waterloo’s Faculty of Engineering. I learned how interesting and broad the field of management sciences truly is. I learned about how organizations achieve business success and about how the economy functions. Overall, the first semester of my program was academically rigorous and extremely rewarding.
Great place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 8, 2015
Great place for continuous learning and knowledge. Peers are nice and knowledgeable. It was fun working there. It is magical world of study and work.
good work/study place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  waterloo, ONSeptember 15, 2015
very very good school to study and learn new things and explore new technologies, good research environments to nurture new R&D
lack of leadership but great learning experience
Part time job making and serving food to customers (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 10, 2015
On a typical work day, I served university students working at a variety of places such as pita pit, pizza pizza, subway, teriyaki and booster juice. I have plenty of cashier experience dealing with the point of sale system and with each shift, I worked with new people so I have developed great people skills with both my coworkers and my customers. The most enjoyable part about the job was getting to know new people and developing the skills that I developed
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
constant turn over in staff
Good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 9, 2014
I come to university at 9:30 and start my work by answering questions from students about the course. Every week, I set up an office hour specifically for answering students' questions. As well, I give them tutorial weekly. I used to prepare some relevant materials such as summarizing the concepts and making up corresponding questions before the tutorials.My colleges are masters and phd students. Sometimes, I will face with a lot of tasks at one time and have to management them wisely. However, when I get compliments from professors and students, I feel extremely happy.
Fun atmosphere
Customer Service Representative, Mudie's Cafe (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 4, 2013
Worked in food services
served food and cleaned up
did cash
management was very nice
Pros
free lunches
Excellent Work Environment and Hours
Lecturer, Faculty of Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 18, 2012
* Great support from colleagues and other staff members.
* Relaxed Atmosphere, definitely not a 9 - 5 job, but ``work according to your schedule'' job. For example, in a typical term, I only am required to be around campus for a total of 9 hours in a week.
* Friendly co-workers and management.
* Great chance for networking with other students and professionals.
* The hardest part of the job is grading the exams.
* The best part of the job is interacting with the students inside and outside the class room.
Pros
flexibility in work hours.
Student at the University of Waterloo
Research Study Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 6, 2015
As a student, there were countless hours of studying, dozens of all nighters, hundreds of lecture slides of material, and one great achievement. I learnt everything there is to know about the human body and how it works, what its made of and how to help preserve it. My colleagues were excellent, as were my professors. The hardest part was studying for long periods of time, but the greatest part was all of the great people you met with the same interests as yourself.
Productive and friendly work environment
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 2, 2014
As a graduate student at both Master and PhD levels, I have true, hands-on experience of working in a lab in general and basic techniques in biology field in particular. Also, I am used to operating state-of-the-art equipment and monitoring maintenance schedules in lab. I have taken part in planning experiments as well as evaluating test results. In addition, I was responsible for maintaining biohazard and radiation safety standards, and ensuring proper handling of potentially hazardous chemical and biological agents.
In addition to the lab work, I have recorded, calculated, and analyzed data, and prepared reports. I work closely with a team of researchers and learned the value of good lab practice. I work well as a team member, am very reliable and organized, and willing to learn.
Fun and exciting work place
Shelf Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 8, 2013
It was a great working environment. Management was very friendly and made everyone feel as part of a team. Within the organization I did tasks such as:

•Removed university library books from shelves and efficiently cleaned shelves
•Organized and maintained shelves in proper sequence to ensure accuracy and accessibility
•Worked in multiple library locations across campus
•Followed safe work practices in support of the University of Waterloo Health and Safety Policy

4.6