University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 15, 2014
Very nice place to work with a lot of accomodations.
The hardest part of the jobs are the hours but it is very enjoyable to be part of a high technology laboratory.
Really Good University
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 6, 2014
University of Waterloo is a great place to work. Both as a student and staff, I had great time there.
Proctoring for the Economics department of the University of Waterloo is serious and a good learning experience.
Proctor (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 4, 2014
20 minutes before every exam, the economics class professor, the other proctors and I carried the examination materials from the professor's office to the examination location. Together with the other proctors, I placed the exam papers in every two desks, so there is enough space between students. The room was fixed accordingly into an exam-writing – more... environment. Once students arrived, the exam rules and guidelines were explained to them, they were told to leave their things in the front of the class, their identification were checked, and they were asked to turn off their cellphones. During the exam, if students had any concerns, which did not give them an unfair advantage over others, I would help them. We would offer students any extra pencils or pens in case theirs were misplaced or nonfunctional. I walked by the students around the room to make sure they were following the rules and not cheating. When students finished their exam, they would raise their hand for approval, raise from their seat, and hand in their exam paper. By the end of the examination period, all exams were collected and the rooms were left as they were before. We would walk back to the professors office to leave the exams and the examination materials.

I learned about discipline, organization leadership, conflict resolution, and better speech skills when managing a large audience.

We were managed by the class professor. It was a fair and relaxed treatment.

My co-workers were very supporting and willing to cooperate, for everything to flow. Everyone played a different role.

My hardest part of the job might have been knowing when to successfully identify students who tried to cheat.

The most enjoyable part was being able to manage such a huge group of students successfully, and knowing that I could have such organizational leadership skills based on my effective communication skills. I enjoyed knowing I helped keep a fair examination environment. – less
Great Place and better people
Engineering Science Quest Volunteer (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONDecember 25, 2013
University of Waterloo is amazing in every aspect. When I volunteered there for the Engineering Science Quest summer camp, you could feel the amazing atmosphere.
A great first Coop placement
Computer Systems Assistant Sr. (Coop) (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONDecember 15, 2013
Working for the University of Waterloo coop workplace has many advantages for students. With the flexibility and option to have a side load of courses on campus is a great perk. A typical day at work as a Computer Systems Assistant will include, providing support for the staff, professors and students, backing up computer data and maintaining a database – more... of all computers in the department, and working with the the network in the wiring closet. – less
Graduate Student
Graduate Student - Research Assistant (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 23, 2013
Pros: good common space for students
Cons: you're a student
Labs are new and open in the new Engineering building (E6), and openly customizable. Management depends on individual supervisors, but the atmosphere is professional around the building, and there are classes and meetings taking place within the building.
Part time school job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 5, 2013
Assist professor to mark assignments and provided feedbacks.
teaching is fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 1, 2013
working parttime as teaching assistant. Enjoy the flexibility in working hours
Awesome workplace
Front Desk Assistant - Housing Department (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 23, 2013
Customer service environment with lots of interaction from university faculty members and the students who were living in the respective residences.
A Great way to learn personally and help others learn
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 18, 2013
I gained and appreciation for teaching in this job. It was not enough to simply pass on information or grade a student's work.
As such I took the opportunity to appreciate what each student did well and then help them in areas where they were having trouble.
It was very rewarding overall.
First official Job
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 13, 2013
Pros: flexible timing, not stressful
I loved this job since the professor I worked with was truly amazing. He understood that our education comes first and that we have a lot of things to balance in our life. He gave a chance for First-year students to help him research, and luckily I was one of the few chosen. I had to sort out through many articles and try to filter them out according – more... to the categories that were provided by my prof. It was a good experience but interrupted by unfortunate incidences like my laptop being stolen when I was not in the country, I had to repeat the entire research I've worked on for 4 months within a week or so and sent it in as soon as possible. It was hard but I did it. Again, I didn't really work for money, but I worked for experience. – less
Professional working environment with opportunities to advance
Research assistant and Data entry clerk (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 12, 2013
A typical day involved working with no supervision in order to execute a variety of tasks; contacting future and present participants, tracking results of the Developmental Psychology lab's studies, entering the data, and discussing the results. There is a strong community at the University.
Great school specially for undergrads...
Research Associate (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONAugust 24, 2013
Great academic environment for learning, gaining experience, conducting challenging researches, multi-cultural and friendly society,...
Enjoyable and passion-filled workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONAugust 15, 2013
Pros: great hours, friendly workers, interesting work
Cons: n/a
I worked in one of the research labs in the Psychology department at Waterloo. The lab gave me a lot of opportunities to pursue interesting research and independent projects. The people I worked with were phenomenal in every respect and I really enjoyed the work I did while I was there, as well as the environment.
Great
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONAugust 9, 2013
Great place to work along with some of the smartest professors of the Country!
Very practical project, getting to know in depth about forensic geophysics with electromagnetic survey
Project Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 23, 2013
Pros: gaining hands on experience on the geophysical survey
Cons: fairly long distance to the field site
- typically there were few of field days where I actually got to go out in field and take measurements at the test plots. Other than field days, most of the time was spent plotting contour maps of apparent conductivity and filtering them into simplified versions. Moreover, I analyzed different phenomena happening within the subsurface with contour maps.
- – more... I learned the proficiency and efficacy of electromagnetic survey in forensic investigation, as well as the shortcomings of it in certain situations. Moreover, I learned how to use various equipments such as EM-38, as well as software called Surfer 10.
- My co-worker was one of the graduate students in the department, who was extremely helpful with all the knowledge and experiences he had.
- The hardest part of the job was carrying out the survey even in harsh weather conditions (heavy snow, low temperature, etc)
- The most enjoyable part of the job was getting invovled in the forensic investigation, where pig cadavers and firearms were buried and results of contour maps coincide with expected outcomes – less
Independent, enjoyable work
Ambassador Representative (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 17, 2013
Pros: timbits were always available to us
Cons: i worked in a small office with 3 other people, it was a challenge when having a phone conversation to talk over one another
A typical day was arriving at the office, gathering my calling sheet and proceeding with going down my list making my calls. I learned how to become more comfortable with phone conversations. I did not interact too much with my co-workers but we did converse on breaks and I got along with everyone I talked to. The most enjoyable part of my job was talking – more... with the prospected students and making them feel comfortable, as well as excited about coming to University. – less
Good
Teacher Assistance (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 9, 2013
My major is Economics. I learned how to do research and collect data. I also took some course related to finance. During summer break, I worked in the front line in Bank of China.
Productive, flexible schedule
Fundraiser (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 28, 2013
Comfortable environment, fund raised money for the University of Waterloo for their funding.
Excellent experience at University of Waterloo
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 21, 2013
Great management of teaching assistants.

Excellent hourly wage rate.

About University of Waterloo

The University of Waterloo is a comprehensive public university in the city of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. The school was founded – Read more