University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Design, research, evaluation and simulation of Otical channel channel and wireless standars like LTE, IEEE 802.11
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 18, 2013
My daily work here in Electrical and Computer Department, University of Waterloo as a Postdoctoral Fellow includes research, design, development, and modification of Telecommunication systems. Here, we co-operate CIENA the network specialist company. We mainly focus to simulation and design of Physical layer of Optical Channel and use MATLAB and C/C++. Also, co-operate with CST-LAB to evaluate and simulate some Wireless standard like LTE, IEEE 802.11,....
A great first Coop placement
Computer Systems Assistant Sr. (Coop) (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONDecember 15, 2013
Working for the University of Waterloo coop workplace has many advantages for students. With the flexibility and option to have a side load of courses on campus is a great perk. A typical day at work as a Computer Systems Assistant will include, providing support for the staff, professors and students, backing up computer data and maintaining a database of all computers in the department, and working with the the network in the wiring closet.
Great flexible environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONFebruary 2, 2013
The management is great, very understanding of my school work and my other priorities. The schedule is flexible, as I can go and leave work as long as I complete the required hours for the day. The job lets me work at my own pace, as long as the work is completed with minimal supervision. The only challenging part of the job is paying particular attention to detail because even one minor mistake can cause a huge liability to the library.
Fun and fulfilling place to work
Community Co-ordinator (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 18, 2013
My position has given me many opportunities to develop myself over a broad spectrum of traits. I have had the opportunity to present a week long training session, manage 12 staff, conduct and receive performance evaluations, and a number of others. This has been a very rewarding and supportive position working with a very positive team environment.
Met a lot of new people and improved my public speaking skills
Math Orientation Leader and Student Mentor (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 2, 2012
1. Trained to motivate thousands of incoming University of Waterloo students
2. Worked with 10 other leaders and lead a group of 100 students and effectively communicated instructions to them
3. Followed up with 17 first year students to ensure if they are well accustomed to the new environment
A Great way to learn personally and help others learn
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 18, 2013
I gained and appreciation for teaching in this job. It was not enough to simply pass on information or grade a student's work.
As such I took the opportunity to appreciate what each student did well and then help them in areas where they were having trouble.
It was very rewarding overall.
Enjoyable and passion-filled workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONAugust 15, 2013
Pros: great hours, friendly workers, interesting work
Cons: n/a
I worked in one of the research labs in the Psychology department at Waterloo. The lab gave me a lot of opportunities to pursue interesting research and independent projects. The people I worked with were phenomenal in every respect and I really enjoyed the work I did while I was there, as well as the environment.
Great work environment with friendly people and key challenges!
Waterloo Arts Orientation Coordinator (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 4, 2013
The opportunity to work at the University of Waterloo and serve the local community is greatly beneficial to developing personal and professional relationships. They help develop current students into well-rounded employees in the workforce by encouraging teamwork, creativity and problem-solving and always serve as wonderful mentors.
Research and design of Smart Grid
Graduate RA & TA (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 11, 2014
I have worked as a Graduate Research Assistant (RA) and Teaching Assistant (TA) in this University. I have conducted research on Smart Grid design for two years with the collaboration of NSERC Smart Migrogrid Network (NSMG-NET). I have successfully concluded my research work with a new approach of real-time control of large load (Residential, Commercial & Industrial) modeling from Smart grid perspective.
Great place to work to gain experience for my future in a career in policing.
PARKING CONTROL OFFICER (Former Employee), Waterloo, NOctober 12, 2015
Pros: The fact that I had multiple duties and not the same thing all the time.
Cons: Contract position.
This position allowed me to gain experience in ticket writing, note taking, etc. which will be beneficial for a career in policing. I enjoyed my co-workers and the duties in which I was assigned.
A very nice place to work with constant new technologies and information to acquire and master.
Research Assistant & MATLAB Programmer (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: initially a high learning curve
Working at the School of Optometry at the University of Waterloo has been great. It provides an excellent opportunity to keep one's skills current as well as master new skills/concepts.
A great place to work at
Casual Library Clerk (Part-time) (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 9, 2015
The Geospatial Centre has a very supportive environment, everyone who takes interest in learning GIS or seeking advice in their projects involving GIS applications will find their answers here. Occasionally there are internal projects that aims to provide convenience to other people.
Professional working environment with opportunities to advance
Research assistant and Data entry clerk (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 12, 2013
A typical day involved working with no supervision in order to execute a variety of tasks; contacting future and present participants, tracking results of the Developmental Psychology lab's studies, entering the data, and discussing the results. There is a strong community at the University.
A very good research environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONFebruary 21, 2013
There are people working on all kinds of problems. Industry relations is great. The only down side is that people here work a lot, I mean a lot, and peer pressure can cause you to stop doing things you like to be able to stay competitive.
Hard working and innovative
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 15, 2014
University of Waterloo famous for its co-educational program. It has very high reputation in Science and Engineering. There are nearly 26,000 undergraduate and over 4,000 post-graduate students. Alumni and former students of the university can be found across Canada and in over 140 countries.
Fast-moving, creative workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONFebruary 14, 2014
As a teaching assistant, I made my own lesson plans out of teaching outlines provided by the course professor. The environment was quick moving and marking required submission by a deadline. I utilized communication skills daily through presenting material to my class and improved on my editing stills.
Enjoyable interaction with students.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 13, 2012
Quite often, the course instructor would require the TAs to mark midterms and provide academic assitance to the students. This provided a good opportunity to explore my tutoring skills especially when some students may have more difficulty in specific areas than others.
The Uw
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONNovember 18, 2015
Fun place to work with some what supportive management. It wasn't always about the numbers but about how the customers and staff felt. I most enjoyed about working there was how you could learn new things from the other staff and how they learned things from you.
Graduate Student
Graduate Student - Research Assistant (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 23, 2013
Pros: good common space for students
Cons: you're a student
Labs are new and open in the new Engineering building (E6), and openly customizable. Management depends on individual supervisors, but the atmosphere is professional around the building, and there are classes and meetings taking place within the building.
A great place to work
Project Developer / Research Assistant (Co-op) (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: the people
The University of Waterloo is a great place to work. The staff is trained well and handles all people and situations appropriately. I learned a great deal from the University including many leadership skills and project management skills. In addition I learned engineering techniques and teamwork skills.
Headquarters