University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Very friendly and accommodating
Convocation Usher (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 August 2017
Understanding of need for washroom and coffee breaks and actively engaging with employees to ensure job requirements are fulfilled without issues, and if they arise work with employee to resolve issue
Media Director (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 July 2017
Everyone is very helpful and there is a lot to do in any role. The reward of music is the best reward. It is a passionate job to work for and everyone volunteers.
Research Associate/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 July 2017
A world class university; lots of opportunities to grow. Had a lot of exposure to great researchers and resources. There are opportunities to interact with people from different professional and cultural backgrounds
Pros
A great place to work if you have a good team leader
Cons
As with all academic institutions, professors are not trained to be managers
I like being a post-doc, except for the uncertainty
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 July 2017
Every post-doc is different, so this is not really useful, but I'm enjoying my time here. I have a good working relationship with my PI and the other people in the lab, and I get to travel and work on my own projects with considerable freedom.
Pros
Freedom to work when and how I want
Cons
Short-term contract with hard departure date
Mover (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 July 2017
Interesting employment opportunity working in a lab. Got to see interesting things, moved stuff around, met professors, emptied bottles and had a lot of fun
Volunteer research assistant (CS)
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 June 2017
Very friendly environment; even professors are often not as intimidating as they would seem. Volunteering was an excellent learning opportunity, letting me build on programming experience while contributing to a research project.
Decent Workplace
Research Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 June 2017
I was a research technician for our of their professors. It was a small lab with few members so it was easy to get along with everyone, although it may vary among other labs.
good place to do research
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, Wellington13 June 2017
no bad, just researching. The work life balance is just similar to other universities around world. The professors at this university is pretty good, not so much pressure.
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 June 2017
Good place to work for students good management. Overall experience was relatively good had a good time working here. Coworkers were inviting, boss was willing to teach and open to listening to employees.
Pros
Work environment
Great Educational Institute
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 May 2017
This university has provided with the necessary tools to be successful in the workplace with access to state of the art facilities. it was an enjoyable learning facility that allowed me to understand and use the material in an effective way.
Good employees who care very much about students.
Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 May 2017
Was great to see staff who genuinely cared for students. However there was a little too much politics in giving the school a good reputation at the cost of students.
good start
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 May 2017
it is always good to start from campus if someone has no work experience. it is safe to work on campus and can manage your hours according to your convenience.
Overall, well done
BEST BUDDIES EXECUTIVE MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 May 2017
This was a volunteer position with Best Buddies through the University of Waterloo. The University is very accommodating and aloud for an successful year for our Club.
Great job and use of my skills
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 May 2017
Fun, structured, lots of work to keep busy, culture was greatly diversified, foreman and lead hands were fantastic and open to improvement opinions. I learned a lot about the different methods of cleaning in a commercial rather than a residential level.
ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 May 2017
I have worked in Math for over 10 years and love my job and all of the people who work and study here. our benefits are great. would like optometry benefits but all the others are great.
Pros
Benefits and Salary
Great place to start
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 April 2017
I first started my cooking career at U of W Food Services and it was a great experience to start off my cooking. The people were fantastic and very helpful, always fun and wanted to be there.
Working at the UofW
Administrative Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 April 2017
I loved the people who I worked with. Helpful caring people, great atmosphere, flexible if an issue arose. I learned how the university functions behind the scenes. An amazing opportunity! The hardest part of the job personally was the sitting in one spot, i prefer to be able to move around, and do tasks that involved more of a hands on. Overall very much enjoyed my time at the university.
Pros
Lots of learning about the school and different programs
Good for Students
Office Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 April 2017
Good for Students they work around class schedules. Provide a flexible schedule, with manageable working hours. Staff are great, as are supervisors and managers.
Great place for entry-level Job
Wastewater Research Technician (Co-Op) (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 April 2017
I was working with two different pilot plants , learned lot of about waste water treatment, sampling and analysis as well as different lab instrument.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Na
Club at University of Waterloo
Member (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 April 2017
Outstanding group, mostly undergraduate students from different faculties. Meet once a week every term of the year to practice public speaking and preparing speeches.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Waterloo. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6