University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Co-op
Video Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 November 2016
Was a last minute co-op placement. No clear guide-lines or rules set in place. Was a good learning experience, provided an opportunity for acquiring new skills.
Productive and Amazing Workers
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 October 2016
A typical day at work is like any other day, you are constantly working with nice people who enjoy the job and what you get from it. The hardest part of the job would be the lulls in the days where there is no customers and there is no chores to do, so to pass the time I find other tasks to work on like stocking and inventory.
Pros
Lunch is paid for
Cons
None that I can think of
Great professional experience
Computing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 October 2016
I had one temp contract position that provided a rich professional experience. Management was excellent, and there were many training opportunities both internal to the dept and external interest. The most enjoyable part of my job was that I was given ownership of a few projects that allowed me to grow professionally. Unfortunately, nearly all the jobs posted as either external or temporary contracts are spoken for, and if you are lucky enough to get your foot in the door in a contract position once, you could be waiting a long time for a follow-up contract. You can become "interview roster filler" repeatedly because you have UW experience.
Pros
Provided learning opportunities
Cons
Zero job security as a contract employee
Rewarding, challenging and enjoyable
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, Wellington7 October 2016
The University of Waterloo is an excellent employer, offering staff a range of benefits, including annual leave entitlement, good rates of pay, reputable pension scheme and flexible working. I would recommend the University of Waterloo to anybody seeking employment either in Waterloo or the education sector.
Productive workspace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 September 2016
Working at the University of Waterloo was a great experience. Professors are approachable and cooperative. Students are easy-going. Labs in general are well-equipped.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Long hours/pressure
A good university overal
Research scientist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 September 2016
University of Waterloo, despite being a new university has made an excellent progress. The working and education culture in University of Waterloo Waterloo is very good.The content of the courses are excellent. The coop. program is very effective and puts you in the right direction.University of Waterloo is an excellent University particularly in Undergraduate level. I strongly recommend.
For graduate studies, it is new and the atmosphere is not a effective as undergraduate studies.But still it is among very top universities not only in Canada but also in the world.
Pros
Good research and working culture, effective and good Coop program
Cons
New Las. new research culture
Work hard
Mathematics Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 September 2016
 Demonstrated in-depth academic and communication skills through hosting weekly tutorials for 50 first-year students
 Prepared teaching materials, including PowerPoint slides and sample questions for exam review sessions
 Acquired solid leadership and entrepreneurship through leading markers to form study groups of five students
a day at work
Ph.D in Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 August 2016
Despite the hardships I had during my 5 year program of Ph.D, I had the perfect colleagues that I adored working with. One of the best things that I really valued while working at the school of Pharmacy at University of Waterloo is the flexibility of time. I can go and work whenever I wanted to and leave whenever I can and this helped me to finish my projects in the most preferable way to me.
Pros
lounge and Kitchen for graduate students
Cons
small building
Good working environment and work/life balance
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 August 2016
As a TA for undergrad students, I held one office hours and led one lab session every week. I marked their assignments every two weeks until the end of term. The instructor and students are all very friendly.
Pros
Good working environment
excellent training
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 August 2016
wonderful environment. the pursuit of knowledge is encompassing. motivation to work hard surrounds you daily as the entire admin teams are unstoppable.
Pros
wonderful environment
Cons
no job security on contract.
Very adaptable to student needs
Psychology Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 July 2016
As a psychology research assistant there is great flexibility in that you can create your own schedule and put up time slots corresponding to that.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not much room for growth
A very professional job.
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 July 2016
I worked a forty hour work week, working evenings, cleaning floors, table tops, dry and wet mopping. I was to handle the recycling and take out garbage bags daily. I also cleaned washrooms, and used ride on or walk behind sweepers and scrubbers.
Pros
paid lunchbreaks.
Cons
evening shift.
Innovation
Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 July 2016
Professors are very co-operative and accessible. Courses provides wide area of research and support creative thinking.
Everything is great!
Chemical Engineering Student (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 July 2016
I love working at this Unviersity. It is peaceful, and students there are awesome. The professors there are energetic and easyging.
Excelent experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 June 2016
I learned a lot about project management, wildlife habitat use, statistical analysis, ArcGIS, gathering field data, and surveying land.
Exciting and fun workplace with lab trips
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 May 2016
A typical day consisted of working with the international students and helping them with the assigned assignment to boost their performance in the real work environment.
I learned a lot about the Chinese culture from my students, improved my time management skills and my work ethics.
The management was very helpful. and actively cared about the wellbeing of both, the students and the mentors.
My co-workers were friendly and fun to work with.
The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable part of the job: the students!
Helping them achieve the desired standard was hard, though not impossible; and every small improvement felt like an achievement.

All in all, it was a great experience. I plan to return to this job next year too.
Pros
Free snacks
Great environment
Athlete (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 May 2016
The volleyball team was a great way to meet new people and gain athletic skills as well as team player and time management skills.
Flexible hours, studies-first mentality
Intramural Referee (off for summer) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 May 2016
Myself and the other referees would arrange our own hours based on our school schedules/related commitments. Management is very accommodating. The hardest part of the job is dealing with conflicts between players and referees (in hockey especially, things can get heated fast, and it's my job to control the situation). However, I enjoyed the job because it put me around sports that I not only enjoy watching, but playing as well.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Fun
Executive Math Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 May 2016
I get to train a group of ambassadors who performed their duties perfectly. As a result, UWaterloo's Faculty of Mathematics received positive feedback and reviews for our Open House Events.
Pros
Free T shirt and food
Productive and fun work place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 May 2016
Productive and fun work place
very friendly working environment
professional education
beautiful environment
I learned a lot from my supervisors and colleague.

4.6