University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

A good university overal
Research scientist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 17, 2016
University of Waterloo, despite being a new university has made an excellent progress. The working and education culture in University of Waterloo Waterloo is very good.The content of the courses are excellent. The coop. program is very effective and puts you in the right direction.University of Waterloo is an excellent University particularly in Undergraduate level. I strongly recommend.
For graduate studies, it is new and the atmosphere is not a effective as undergraduate studies.But still it is among very top universities not only in Canada but also in the world.
Pros
Good research and working culture, effective and good Coop program
Cons
New Las. new research culture
a day at work
Ph.D in Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONAugust 25, 2016
Despite the hardships I had during my 5 year program of Ph.D, I had the perfect colleagues that I adored working with. One of the best things that I really valued while working at the school of Pharmacy at University of Waterloo is the flexibility of time. I can go and work whenever I wanted to and leave whenever I can and this helped me to finish my projects in the most preferable way to me.
Pros
lounge and Kitchen for graduate students
Cons
small building
Work hard
Mathematics Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 1, 2016
 Demonstrated in-depth academic and communication skills through hosting weekly tutorials for 50 first-year students
 Prepared teaching materials, including PowerPoint slides and sample questions for exam review sessions
 Acquired solid leadership and entrepreneurship through leading markers to form study groups of five students
Exciting and fun workplace with lab trips
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 18, 2016
A typical day consisted of working with the international students and helping them with the assigned assignment to boost their performance in the real work environment.
I learned a lot about the Chinese culture from my students, improved my time management skills and my work ethics.
The management was very helpful. and actively cared about the wellbeing of both, the students and the mentors.
My co-workers were friendly and fun to work with.
The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable part of the job: the students!
Helping them achieve the desired standard was hard, though not impossible; and every small improvement felt like an achievement.

All in all, it was a great experience. I plan to return to this job next year too.
Pros
Free snacks
Flexible hours, studies-first mentality
Intramural Referee (off for summer) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 4, 2016
Myself and the other referees would arrange our own hours based on our school schedules/related commitments. Management is very accommodating. The hardest part of the job is dealing with conflicts between players and referees (in hockey especially, things can get heated fast, and it's my job to control the situation). However, I enjoyed the job because it put me around sports that I not only enjoy watching, but playing as well.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Great team environment, constantly learning and travelling with the team during school term
Student Trainer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 25, 2016
During the school term, I'm one of the fortunate selected few that gets to be a student therapist for the university of waterloo varsity hockey team.I love the close team environment and the unpredictable situations I get put in, whether it's massaging team members or treating a new injury, Every day is fun and enjoyable and I'm constantly learning more from my mentor (athletic therapist)
Pros
Never stop learning, being part of a team
Cons
Good working environment and work/life balance
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 16, 2016
As a TA for undergrad students, I held one office hours and led one lab session every week. I marked their assignments every two weeks until the end of term. The instructor and students are all very friendly.
Pros
Good working environment
Engaging and fun experience working with various people throughout the campus.
Residence Advisor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 19, 2016
It was a few hours during the day and I had the opportunity of communicating with people and answering their questions to university life and academic balance. My coworkers were fun people to be around and work and we had a great team of people working to provide parents and students with the right information. The most difficult part of the job would be not getting paid. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting a variety of people and helping others out.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
No pay
A very professional job.
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 9, 2016
I worked a forty hour work week, working evenings, cleaning floors, table tops, dry and wet mopping. I was to handle the recycling and take out garbage bags daily. I also cleaned washrooms, and used ride on or walk behind sweepers and scrubbers.
Pros
paid lunchbreaks.
Cons
evening shift.
Fast-paced environment, changing on a day-to-day basis
Science Outreach Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 5, 2016
As I was a volunteer at the university, I was not paid. Nonetheless, this experience allowed me to learn greatly. I was constantly exposed to different individuals whom I was able to share with the interest of science. On a typical day at work, I was visiting an elementary school and was prepared to show several scientific demonstrations to children.
excellent training
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 15, 2016
wonderful environment. the pursuit of knowledge is encompassing. motivation to work hard surrounds you daily as the entire admin teams are unstoppable.
Pros
wonderful environment
Cons
no job security on contract.
Very adaptable to student needs
Psychology Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 13, 2016
As a psychology research assistant there is great flexibility in that you can create your own schedule and put up time slots corresponding to that.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not much room for growth
Prime work place for a student
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 24, 2016
This work place provided me (a student at the University of Waterloo), to manage my work life and my student life with ease. Working in the same location where I lived (student dorms), was a good transition for me into the work place in an unfamiliar University environment. Overall, it was a great experience.
Pros
Free food during breaks
Cons
Managing student and work life
Great way to earn money as a student
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 12, 2016
I worked as a research assistant in a lab on campus. It was as many hours a week as I wanted and it was a great way to get involved. I was able to make a bit of money at school as well as build up a network of professionals. I wish I would have started earlier.
experience as employee depends strongly on situation
IT Director, Faculty of Arts (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 29, 2016
Inconsistent leadership, fledgling ethical behaviour and management/leadership training supports, and poorly understood policies leave employees at the mercy of their direct supervisor's level of competence and engagement.
Everything is great!
Chemical Engineering Student (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 5, 2016
I love working at this Unviersity. It is peaceful, and students there are awesome. The professors there are energetic and easyging.
Excelent experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 23, 2016
I learned a lot about project management, wildlife habitat use, statistical analysis, ArcGIS, gathering field data, and surveying land.
Productive and fun work place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 2, 2016
Productive and fun work place
very friendly working environment
professional education
beautiful environment
I learned a lot from my supervisors and colleague.
Great place to have your PhD
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 7, 2016
Multi-cultural place to study, with people from different background.
Very nice atmosphere and a very competitive, yet collaborative environment
Pros
Great professors, friendly staff, and very smart students
Cons
PhD at UW takes a lot of your life, and work-life balance is far from ideal
Intriguing research
Nanotechnology Researcher (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 29, 2016
Very friendly working group and encourages self-learning. Good for students who want to pursue higher education or interested in research.

4.6