University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Gained independent working experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 February 2017
My recent co-op as a research assistant has showed me the significance of always being ready to learn and to be able to adapt to dynamic environments. When I was put up to the challenge to synthesize a type of electro-catalyst using biomass precursors, the lack of prior experience did not deter me from this opportunity to learn. I investigated various publications/online-resources and sought aid from professionals, which, as a side-effect, enhanced my research skills and ability to learn new material quickly. As a result, I was able to delineate my findings for a suitable bio-mass precursor for the synthesis of electro-catalysts, later used for supercapacitor and other novel battery applications.This also afforded me many opportunities to heighten my research and analytical skills. As a research assistant for a professor at the University of Waterloo, I perused through many research papers and other literary sources to erect my foundations. I then summarized the information and presented my findings via MS PowerPoint to my supervisor. I also conducted a series of electrochemical tests on electro-catalysts for fuel cell applications followed by data analysis/organization, which was eventually used in my supervisor’s manuscript.
Good
PERSONAL TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 February 2017
Good to work part time as a student there. Depending what job you work, you may have flexible hours and good management. Great way to get involved during school.
It depends on which instructor you are working with.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 January 2017
Very good facilities.

Some professors are really nice.

Competitive salary.

Working hours are flexible term by term.

Love the place.
Productive Environment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 January 2017
The University of Waterloo is a productive environment with a stellar reputation. I recommend the University to anyone who is looking to upgrade their resume and have an eye-catching workplace.
Pros
job security
Cons
open on holidays
Kitchen Porter (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 January 2017
For people who are willing to work hard and put a good day into your job this is the place to work. Being able to make a difference and have a little fun at the same time. Great environment to work in as well.
Pros
Great food
Cons
None at this time
Productive and fun place to work at.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 December 2016
Since joining the University of Waterloo, It has only been pleasant experiences. The work environment is great. The staff are very helpful and friendly too.
Co-op
Video Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 November 2016
Was a last minute co-op placement. No clear guide-lines or rules set in place. Was a good learning experience, provided an opportunity for acquiring new skills.
Good place to work!
Research Assistant (Co-op) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 November 2016
I've learnt a lot and been given a lot of responsibilities. The pay is good and the timing is flexible, which helps balance work and personal life.
Productive and Amazing Workers
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 October 2016
A typical day at work is like any other day, you are constantly working with nice people who enjoy the job and what you get from it. The hardest part of the job would be the lulls in the days where there is no customers and there is no chores to do, so to pass the time I find other tasks to work on like stocking and inventory.
Pros
Lunch is paid for
Cons
None that I can think of
Great professional experience
Computing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 October 2016
I had one temp contract position that provided a rich professional experience. Management was excellent, and there were many training opportunities both internal to the dept and external interest. The most enjoyable part of my job was that I was given ownership of a few projects that allowed me to grow professionally. Unfortunately, nearly all the jobs posted as either external or temporary contracts are spoken for, and if you are lucky enough to get your foot in the door in a contract position once, you could be waiting a long time for a follow-up contract. You can become "interview roster filler" repeatedly because you have UW experience.
Pros
Provided learning opportunities
Cons
Zero job security as a contract employee
Rewarding, challenging and enjoyable
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, Wellington7 October 2016
The University of Waterloo is an excellent employer, offering staff a range of benefits, including annual leave entitlement, good rates of pay, reputable pension scheme and flexible working. I would recommend the University of Waterloo to anybody seeking employment either in Waterloo or the education sector.
Productive workspace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 September 2016
Working at the University of Waterloo was a great experience. Professors are approachable and cooperative. Students are easy-going. Labs in general are well-equipped.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Long hours/pressure
A good university overal
Research scientist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 September 2016
University of Waterloo, despite being a new university has made an excellent progress. The working and education culture in University of Waterloo Waterloo is very good.The content of the courses are excellent. The coop. program is very effective and puts you in the right direction.University of Waterloo is an excellent University particularly in Undergraduate level. I strongly recommend.
For graduate studies, it is new and the atmosphere is not a effective as undergraduate studies.But still it is among very top universities not only in Canada but also in the world.
Pros
Good research and working culture, effective and good Coop program
Cons
New Las. new research culture
Work hard
Mathematics Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 September 2016
 Demonstrated in-depth academic and communication skills through hosting weekly tutorials for 50 first-year students
 Prepared teaching materials, including PowerPoint slides and sample questions for exam review sessions
 Acquired solid leadership and entrepreneurship through leading markers to form study groups of five students
a day at work
Ph.D in Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 August 2016
Despite the hardships I had during my 5 year program of Ph.D, I had the perfect colleagues that I adored working with. One of the best things that I really valued while working at the school of Pharmacy at University of Waterloo is the flexibility of time. I can go and work whenever I wanted to and leave whenever I can and this helped me to finish my projects in the most preferable way to me.
Pros
lounge and Kitchen for graduate students
Cons
small building
Good working environment and work/life balance
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 August 2016
As a TA for undergrad students, I held one office hours and led one lab session every week. I marked their assignments every two weeks until the end of term. The instructor and students are all very friendly.
Pros
Good working environment
excellent training
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 August 2016
wonderful environment. the pursuit of knowledge is encompassing. motivation to work hard surrounds you daily as the entire admin teams are unstoppable.
Pros
wonderful environment
Cons
no job security on contract.
Very adaptable to student needs
Psychology Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 July 2016
As a psychology research assistant there is great flexibility in that you can create your own schedule and put up time slots corresponding to that.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not much room for growth
A very professional job.
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 July 2016
I worked a forty hour work week, working evenings, cleaning floors, table tops, dry and wet mopping. I was to handle the recycling and take out garbage bags daily. I also cleaned washrooms, and used ride on or walk behind sweepers and scrubbers.
Pros
paid lunchbreaks.
Cons
evening shift.
Innovation
Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 July 2016
Professors are very co-operative and accessible. Courses provides wide area of research and support creative thinking.

4.6