University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Good employees who care very much about students.
Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 May 2017
Was great to see staff who genuinely cared for students. However there was a little too much politics in giving the school a good reputation at the cost of students.
good start
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 May 2017
it is always good to start from campus if someone has no work experience. it is safe to work on campus and can manage your hours according to your convenience.
Overall, well done
BEST BUDDIES EXECUTIVE MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 May 2017
This was a volunteer position with Best Buddies through the University of Waterloo. The University is very accommodating and aloud for an successful year for our Club.
Great job and use of my skills
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 May 2017
Fun, structured, lots of work to keep busy, culture was greatly diversified, foreman and lead hands were fantastic and open to improvement opinions. I learned a lot about the different methods of cleaning in a commercial rather than a residential level.
ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 May 2017
I have worked in Math for over 10 years and love my job and all of the people who work and study here. our benefits are great. would like optometry benefits but all the others are great.
Pros
Benefits and Salary
Great place to start
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 April 2017
I first started my cooking career at U of W Food Services and it was a great experience to start off my cooking. The people were fantastic and very helpful, always fun and wanted to be there.
Working at the UofW
Administrative Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 April 2017
I loved the people who I worked with. Helpful caring people, great atmosphere, flexible if an issue arose. I learned how the university functions behind the scenes. An amazing opportunity! The hardest part of the job personally was the sitting in one spot, i prefer to be able to move around, and do tasks that involved more of a hands on. Overall very much enjoyed my time at the university.
Pros
Lots of learning about the school and different programs
Great place for entry-level Job
Wastewater Research Technician (Co-Op) (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 April 2017
I was working with two different pilot plants , learned lot of about waste water treatment, sampling and analysis as well as different lab instrument.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Na
Research Coops are great for learning
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 April 2017
Gaining exposure in laboratory research settings is good experience for R&D and the pros and cons that come along with it. Problem solving, desire to learn and developing technical writing skills area big plus.
Not the job for me
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 March 2017
This job was perfect for a student living on campus but is more difficult if you live off campus. The hours were very random and dispersed and I ended up working a lot of hour long shifts. Management was good but sometimes needed to be stricter with employees. A difficult part of the job was the administrative parts you would have to do, but that was just because I had never done anything involving that before.
Pros
Good team of people
Cons
1 hour shifts
Educational and provided a leadership role
Laboratory Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 March 2017
- set up experiments, taught lab to 30 students
- learned how to think on my feet
- hardest part was communication with foreign students
-most enjoyable was management
Pros
Leadership role
Cons
Marking lab reports outside work hours
Good work environment for students
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 March 2017
Working in the food services section has been great overall, great staff, decently laid back atmosphere, and great hours. Definitely better for part time casual employees like students than anything else.
Pros
2.75 for meals each shift
Runner are Open House
FALL OPEN HOUSE RUNNER WATERLOO RESIDENCES (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 March 2017
Greeted Open House visitors.
Asked which residence they would like to visit.
Talked about life at UW residence.
Promoted living in residence.
Part-time teaching assistant
Math Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 March 2017
- Helped more than 200 students acquire a better understanding of linear algebra
- Revised students’ mathematical solutions by providing constructive feedbacks
- Improved communication skills by solving students questions
Great Environment
Career Development (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 February 2017
Enjoy my work at UW, always interested in seeing that is going on elsewhere in the career development field. Interested also in the community college approach to career development and student success. Always open to discussions revolving around student success, further education, career planning.
Great job!
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 February 2017
I worked nights as a custodian. It was a wonderful for those who can work nights. Great supervisor! Great pay! Hardest part of the job for me was working nights. Most enjoyable was my coworkers
Gained independent working experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 February 2017
My recent co-op as a research assistant has showed me the significance of always being ready to learn and to be able to adapt to dynamic environments. When I was put up to the challenge to synthesize a type of electro-catalyst using biomass precursors, the lack of prior experience did not deter me from this opportunity to learn. I investigated various publications/online-resources and sought aid from professionals, which, as a side-effect, enhanced my research skills and ability to learn new material quickly. As a result, I was able to delineate my findings for a suitable bio-mass precursor for the synthesis of electro-catalysts, later used for supercapacitor and other novel battery applications.This also afforded me many opportunities to heighten my research and analytical skills. As a research assistant for a professor at the University of Waterloo, I perused through many research papers and other literary sources to erect my foundations. I then summarized the information and presented my findings via MS PowerPoint to my supervisor. I also conducted a series of electrochemical tests on electro-catalysts for fuel cell applications followed by data analysis/organization, which was eventually used in my supervisor’s manuscript.
Good
PERSONAL TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 February 2017
Good to work part time as a student there. Depending what job you work, you may have flexible hours and good management. Great way to get involved during school.
It depends on which instructor you are working with.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 January 2017
Very good facilities.

Some professors are really nice.

Competitive salary.

Working hours are flexible term by term.

Love the place.
Productive Environment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 January 2017
The University of Waterloo is a productive environment with a stellar reputation. I recommend the University to anyone who is looking to upgrade their resume and have an eye-catching workplace.
Pros
job security
Cons
open on holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Waterloo. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6