University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Kicked out after 20 years of loyal service
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 November 2017
After working for 20 years at the University of Waterloo I was forced to resign from the University. The department I worked at had a meeting with the University administration and they decided that my job could be changed to a part time position that students can do instead of me.

I realized that UW want you to be loyal to them but they don't have to be loyal to you.
Enjoy working at TA
Teaching assistance (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 November 2017
Good experience of TA in Waterloo and UAE campus for a year.
Great assignment and enjoy with undergrad students. Also, Professors were so kind and provided valuable advices.
Productive environment
Consultant Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 November 2017
UW working environment is productive and competitive, as well as comfortable. However it lacks the appropriate space for entertainment and recreation.
Slow paced
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, Ontario11 November 2017
As an undergraduate research assistant, the onus is on you to find work for yourself. There are often times in which there is very little to do (in terms of work assigned to you), at which point you have one of two options. You can either chill/slack off and your mentor/manager usually won't care, or you can somehow take initiative and find more work for yourself.
Data Processor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 November 2017
Great work environment
Learnt a lot of valuable information about data processing
Work well in a team environment
Positive work culture
Management team is very supportive
Productive and fun working environment
Store/ Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 November 2017
The place is a calm and productive working environment. I typically have my entire day filled with work, but I don't get too stressed or overwhelmed. The employees here are very kind and teaching.
Amazing Oppurtunity
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON31 October 2017
The Women's Centre at the University of Waterloo is a student run service for students and the general public. There is a wealth of knowledge at this centre along with many fun events for anyone interested. It also provides a safe space for those who want/need it. There is also peer counseling which I think is a wonderful resource to have on a university campus
Good work life balance
Research Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 October 2017
The work is challenging and exciting. Learned a lot during the period I was there as a research assistant. I am looking forward to be working at the University again!
great place to work while in school
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 October 2017
This position afforded me the opportunity to fund my graduate studies while developing my teaching skills. My colleagues were smart and fun to collaborate with and I appreciated that the job was right on campus where I was studying.
Pros
on campus
Cons
minimum wage
Great 'problem solving' oriented, bigly competitive, and multicultural University.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 October 2017
Salaries are marginal, but this is general problem of all Universities and Colleges across the Ontario. Working hrs are virtually unlimited, definitively not a 9-5:45 job, but rather long haul mission.

If you love education process, science, debate on any subject this is the place to be !! :)
Pros
Extremely stimulating environment
Cons
Long work hrs, work overload, for marginal salary.
Productive work place with good environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 October 2017
Flexible working hours with the opportunity to upgrade your skills and knowledge. All and all great place for start with student such industrial career.
Fun place to work
Volunteer Server (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 October 2017
Dealing with customer from Environment faculty and having chat with professors and student about everything including study project as well as course content
It was fun
Arts Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 September 2017
I had a great time as an orientation leader, but now I am looking to apply to jobs at the University of Waterloo. Although it wasn't a paying job; more like a volunteering opportunity, thus I am unable to truly do this (apparently must-do) review.
Good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 September 2017
I like the University of waterloo as I was born in Canada in that University. :) I had great time there and I like the city more, and I learnt a lot at the University.
Mostly independent indoor work in the lab or on the computer, with some field excursions. Frequent interaction with the supervisor as an assistant.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 September 2017
Acted as an assistant to the supervisor, and therefore was in frequent communication daily with this person. Performed a variety of tasks in the lab and did a lot of work on data management. Really enjoyed the river water sampling in the region.
Happy Working hours
Residence Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 September 2017
It is my very first time doing a job and I feel very happy to be able to work as a residence ambassador. Through my working hours and my colleagues I learned how to welcome other people and assist them well, how to be punctual, responsible, caring and independent. The environment I work in is great as it is on campus, always surrounded by students, which makes it a very lively place to work in. I enjoy working as an R.A so there's nothing that I find very difficult in the job. In addition, the best part of my job is seeing the visitors getting involved with me while I'm giving them a tour, which makes me feel like I could help them in a way.
Pros
On campus
Productive and Fun Environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 September 2017
Full of challenges and opportunities to study, working with excellent professor and students. Got a lot of new ideas from students in class. Get more skilled at English communication.
it is fine
Research Consultant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 August 2017
I am only part time right now so it's hard for me to finish this, but to give the place stars I guess I have to. The job I currently hold is exactly what I expected it to be.
Great atmosphere!
Computer Technician's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 August 2017
Moving around all the labs and computers was hard work but having great coworkers really helped the experience and i had learned a lot throughout the month i was employed.
Pros
Great workers
Cons
Youngest there
Great university for Tech
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 August 2017
Tons of flexibility. Depending on the professor you get to manage your own timelines and decide what projects you want to work on. Very well known in Tech circles.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Waterloo. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6