University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Educational and provided a leadership role
Laboratory Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 March 2017
- set up experiments, taught lab to 30 students
- learned how to think on my feet
- hardest part was communication with foreign students
-most enjoyable was management
Pros
Leadership role
Cons
Marking lab reports outside work hours
Good work environment for students
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 March 2017
Working in the food services section has been great overall, great staff, decently laid back atmosphere, and great hours. Definitely better for part time casual employees like students than anything else.
Pros
2.75 for meals each shift
Runner are Open House
FALL OPEN HOUSE RUNNER WATERLOO RESIDENCES (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 March 2017
Greeted Open House visitors.
Asked which residence they would like to visit.
Talked about life at UW residence.
Promoted living in residence.
Part-time teaching assistant
Math Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 March 2017
- Helped more than 200 students acquire a better understanding of linear algebra
- Revised students’ mathematical solutions by providing constructive feedbacks
- Improved communication skills by solving students questions
Great Environment
Career Development (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 February 2017
Enjoy my work at UW, always interested in seeing that is going on elsewhere in the career development field. Interested also in the community college approach to career development and student success. Always open to discussions revolving around student success, further education, career planning.
Great job!
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 February 2017
I worked nights as a custodian. It was a wonderful for those who can work nights. Great supervisor! Great pay! Hardest part of the job for me was working nights. Most enjoyable was my coworkers
Gained independent working experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 February 2017
My recent co-op as a research assistant has showed me the significance of always being ready to learn and to be able to adapt to dynamic environments. When I was put up to the challenge to synthesize a type of electro-catalyst using biomass precursors, the lack of prior experience did not deter me from this opportunity to learn. I investigated various publications/online-resources and sought aid from professionals, which, as a side-effect, enhanced my research skills and ability to learn new material quickly. As a result, I was able to delineate my findings for a suitable bio-mass precursor for the synthesis of electro-catalysts, later used for supercapacitor and other novel battery applications.This also afforded me many opportunities to heighten my research and analytical skills. As a research assistant for a professor at the University of Waterloo, I perused through many research papers and other literary sources to erect my foundations. I then summarized the information and presented my findings via MS PowerPoint to my supervisor. I also conducted a series of electrochemical tests on electro-catalysts for fuel cell applications followed by data analysis/organization, which was eventually used in my supervisor’s manuscript.
Good
PERSONAL TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 February 2017
Good to work part time as a student there. Depending what job you work, you may have flexible hours and good management. Great way to get involved during school.
It depends on which instructor you are working with.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 January 2017
Very good facilities.

Some professors are really nice.

Competitive salary.

Working hours are flexible term by term.

Love the place.
Productive Environment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 January 2017
The University of Waterloo is a productive environment with a stellar reputation. I recommend the University to anyone who is looking to upgrade their resume and have an eye-catching workplace.
Pros
job security
Cons
open on holidays
Kitchen Porter (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 January 2017
For people who are willing to work hard and put a good day into your job this is the place to work. Being able to make a difference and have a little fun at the same time. Great environment to work in as well.
Pros
Great food
Cons
None at this time
Productive and fun place to work at.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 December 2016
Since joining the University of Waterloo, It has only been pleasant experiences. The work environment is great. The staff are very helpful and friendly too.
Co-op
Video Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 November 2016
Was a last minute co-op placement. No clear guide-lines or rules set in place. Was a good learning experience, provided an opportunity for acquiring new skills.
Good place to work!
Research Assistant (Co-op) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 November 2016
I've learnt a lot and been given a lot of responsibilities. The pay is good and the timing is flexible, which helps balance work and personal life.
Productive and Amazing Workers
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 October 2016
A typical day at work is like any other day, you are constantly working with nice people who enjoy the job and what you get from it. The hardest part of the job would be the lulls in the days where there is no customers and there is no chores to do, so to pass the time I find other tasks to work on like stocking and inventory.
Pros
Lunch is paid for
Cons
None that I can think of
Great professional experience
Computing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 October 2016
I had one temp contract position that provided a rich professional experience. Management was excellent, and there were many training opportunities both internal to the dept and external interest. The most enjoyable part of my job was that I was given ownership of a few projects that allowed me to grow professionally. Unfortunately, nearly all the jobs posted as either external or temporary contracts are spoken for, and if you are lucky enough to get your foot in the door in a contract position once, you could be waiting a long time for a follow-up contract. You can become "interview roster filler" repeatedly because you have UW experience.
Pros
Provided learning opportunities
Cons
Zero job security as a contract employee
Rewarding, challenging and enjoyable
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, Wellington7 October 2016
The University of Waterloo is an excellent employer, offering staff a range of benefits, including annual leave entitlement, good rates of pay, reputable pension scheme and flexible working. I would recommend the University of Waterloo to anybody seeking employment either in Waterloo or the education sector.
Productive workspace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 September 2016
Working at the University of Waterloo was a great experience. Professors are approachable and cooperative. Students are easy-going. Labs in general are well-equipped.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Long hours/pressure
A good university overal
Research scientist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 September 2016
University of Waterloo, despite being a new university has made an excellent progress. The working and education culture in University of Waterloo Waterloo is very good.The content of the courses are excellent. The coop. program is very effective and puts you in the right direction.University of Waterloo is an excellent University particularly in Undergraduate level. I strongly recommend.
For graduate studies, it is new and the atmosphere is not a effective as undergraduate studies.But still it is among very top universities not only in Canada but also in the world.
Pros
Good research and working culture, effective and good Coop program
Cons
New Las. new research culture
Work hard
Mathematics Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 September 2016
 Demonstrated in-depth academic and communication skills through hosting weekly tutorials for 50 first-year students
 Prepared teaching materials, including PowerPoint slides and sample questions for exam review sessions
 Acquired solid leadership and entrepreneurship through leading markers to form study groups of five students

4.6