University of Victoria Employee Reviews

Good place to work when you are in school
Server (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 May 2017
I worked in the Student Union Building for 3 years and my supervisors were very understanding of my school schedule. The jobs here pay well for student wages. Overall fun people and good networks between workers in the SUB
Pros
Free coffee
Vibrant office, forest at the doorstep
Communications Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 May 2017
Open concept office with lots of pods of desks. I have my own office but it can get noisy as some groups prefer to have standup meetings in their clusters. It’s a big office, employing over 100 people.

Of course it goes without saying that working on campus lends itself to a great work-life balance. It’s easy to head over to CARSA or around the chip trail at lunch.
Great opportunity for new students to meet other students and to become more confident in their University life.
Scorekeeper and Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 April 2017
It was a pleasure to be able to work for the University of Victoria and to have the opportunity to grow not only as a student but as an individual while learning key skills from this job. It was a great way to meet other students and community members and to develop acquaintanceships and even friendships with them, especially with co-workers.
Good group of invested individuals
Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 April 2017
The EPHE department is full of good people who are genuinely interested in delivering knowledge to the students. There is a bit of a lack of meetings in a structured sense but a very good level of cameraderie.
Great Job
General Worker II (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 February 2017
Staff are very friendly. Great to work with. The students are very polite. I would recommend the job for anybody who is looking for a job.
Beautiful city to live in, to work and study
Research Assistant, Political Science Department (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 November 2016
As R.A I had the opportunity to work in an excellent academic environment with admirable professors and the experience of working for up-to-date research topics was completely satisfying.
Pros
Expansion of the academic network
Cons
It can be hard to work and study at the same time
i love it
Cashier, Server, Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 October 2016
working at Uvic was awesome! everyone is so friendly and they really care about you. The work isn't too hard and the pay is great i would 100% recommend
Being a notetaker with the university
Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 October 2016
Taking notes while being a part of the class really helped me improve my study habits. Over time I began to write more efficiently and effectively when I take notes.
more knowalegde
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 October 2016
Working in Arithmatic algebra of Galois field - GF(3) which is used in many applications, including coding theory, computer algebra systems, information theory, number theory, and puplic-key cryptosystems.
It was an alright kind of job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 September 2016
I had to mark student assignments and examination sheets which wasn't fun because student always had problem with their marks!
Excellent university to study
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 April 2016
Excellent academic environment.
Very skilled faculty members.
Up-to-date research topics.
Beautiful city to live in.
A good place to work, although they do not always offer or have full-time shifts for their employees. The pay is decent so long as you work full-time
General Worker 2 (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 March 2016
When at it's steadiest for work you are keep quite busy. You learn how to work quickly and eficiently, without supervision.
prefect place to work with
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 March 2016
good place to work, there are lots of nice professors there and you could learn valuable things under their supervision. people are also nice there.
A great place to work
FOOD SERVICE WORKER/COOK (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 March 2016
Working as a team, you provide the best quality food to student residents. Management was always there to help out. I learned how to provide great customer service to students, who are not necessarily pleasant and polite. The hardest part of the job was being around some co-workers who were not pulling their weight. The most enjoyable part of the job was being busy all the time.
Pros
Free food!
Cons
Sometimes the supervising cooks were a little grouchy
Excellent place to conduct research
MSc student (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 February 2016
The University of Victoria is a great place to be a student and employee. It provides a fun, engaging and professional atmosphere for conducting research.
Work culture that caters to a healthy work/life balance
Sponsorship Officer (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 June 2015
The University of Victoria is a workplace environment that provides flexibility, strong work/life balance, healthy and sustainable practices and situated in a beautiful area in town.
great pay
Sous Chef - University of Victoria - Cook IV (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 May 2015
This place pays very well, just don't expect respect or full time hours. Also, management is a reactive group, so anything to be proactive they will ignore your suggestions, until it's a problem and then you should have told them before.
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 May 2015
In Annual Giving, my day typically involved closing various actions in the Raiser's Edge database for the Annual Giving Officer I was working under. Then I would work on the various projects that she and the Coordinator or Manager were working on.

I developed a more advanced skill-set in utilizing Microsoft Office in conjunction with both Raiser's Edge and CampusCall databases, as well as interpersonal relationships within a professional office setting. I also learned about the nuances and challenges of the administrative side of fundraising for the different scholarships and bursaries of a university institution.

Management was solid in the department I was working in. Upper management had/has a great relationship with all levels of responsibility, both interpersonal and communication.

The initial learning curve was rather steep, but once I learned what was needed, it was manageable. Conversely, the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the final projects reach fruition and being informed that our goals had been met by the various philanthropic individuals and businesses we reached out to.
Pros
Culture is great, communication is always wonderful.
Cons
Many different departments
great place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  victoria. bc canada9 April 2015
innovative environment, the pressure to succeed, enjoyed the benefits, such as subsidized health insurance for workers, overall, management was kind to its workers, learned a lot from senior colleagues. great experience.
Pros
great work place
Cons
Too cliuey
great for research.
Research Assoc & Post-doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 March 2015
highly recommend for these interest in academic and research.
work effectively in a team environment.
great support from the university.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Victoria. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2