University of Victoria Employee Reviews

Beautiful city to live in, to work and study
Research Assistant, Political Science Department (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 November 2016
As R.A I had the opportunity to work in an excellent academic environment with admirable professors and the experience of working for up-to-date research topics was completely satisfying.
Pros
Expansion of the academic network
Cons
It can be hard to work and study at the same time
A great place to work
FOOD SERVICE WORKER/COOK (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 March 2016
Working as a team, you provide the best quality food to student residents. Management was always there to help out. I learned how to provide great customer service to students, who are not necessarily pleasant and polite. The hardest part of the job was being around some co-workers who were not pulling their weight. The most enjoyable part of the job was being busy all the time.
Pros
Free food!
Cons
Sometimes the supervising cooks were a little grouchy
more knowalegde
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 October 2016
Working in Arithmatic algebra of Galois field - GF(3) which is used in many applications, including coding theory, computer algebra systems, information theory, number theory, and puplic-key cryptosystems.
Being a notetaker with the university
Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 October 2016
Taking notes while being a part of the class really helped me improve my study habits. Over time I began to write more efficiently and effectively when I take notes.
i love it
Cashier, Server, Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 October 2016
working at Uvic was awesome! everyone is so friendly and they really care about you. The work isn't too hard and the pay is great i would 100% recommend
It was an alright kind of job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 September 2016
I had to mark student assignments and examination sheets which wasn't fun because student always had problem with their marks!
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 May 2015
In Annual Giving, my day typically involved closing various actions in the Raiser's Edge database for the Annual Giving Officer I was working under. Then I would work on the various projects that she and the Coordinator or Manager were working on.

I developed a more advanced skill-set in utilizing Microsoft Office in conjunction with both Raiser's Edge and CampusCall databases, as well as interpersonal relationships within a professional office setting. I also learned about the nuances and challenges of the administrative side of fundraising for the different scholarships and bursaries of a university institution.

Management was solid in the department I was working in. Upper management had/has a great relationship with all levels of responsibility, both interpersonal and communication.

The initial learning curve was rather steep, but once I learned what was needed, it was manageable. Conversely, the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the final projects reach fruition and being informed that our goals had been met by the various philanthropic individuals and businesses we reached out to.
Pros
Culture is great, communication is always wonderful.
Cons
Many different departments
lack of encouraging management seems to be the downfall of an otherwise great place to work and live.
Head Cook and Part-Time Manager (Former Employee) –  Bamfield, BC23 March 2013
A typical day would start at 6 am making muffins and preparing breakfast for all students special diets considered as well as ensuring all a balanced diet. Enjoying serving the students and receiving praise for a job well done.These days are but a memory with the great coworkers and good times.Feeding and making the stay of our clients was a perfect balance of work communication and fun. The hardest part was dealing with hard headed new management with ideas of an unneeded change to the point of trying to re invent the wheel. Staff and paying students all powerless to the deteriation of BMSC. I really miss the job the students and all the people I met along the way.I wish I could have stayed but it was too hard to deal with management staff.
Pros
working with great people
Cons
getting harrassed by management
people are not valued in this top-heavy management loving bureaucracy
coordinator (Current Employee) –  cooperative education25 March 2013
The culture has become one where staff are afraid to advocate for change. Management across many units is self-serving. People are not encourageed to innovate. Staff are seldom commended for their hard work. Many layoffs occurring across campus in a sterile and disheartening manner. Workload is beccoming unmanageable with no moral support for the increases. The expectation is simply "do more with less." It is a culture of over-work where overtime goes unrecognized because staff are heavily discourageed from reporting it. Managers manipulate a vaguely worded collrctive agreement to further hidden agendas. Transparency and accountability are not applied to managers.

Coworkers have low morale. Great people but many are apathetic and jaded. People sem burnt out.

A typical day involves working through lunch and taking no breaks. Staff often put in a lot of extra time to manage the load. Standard work week is 35 hours on paper but more like 50-60.
Pros
campus is pretty, access to fitness facilities
Cons
bad management culture and long hours
Respectful work environment, approachable management
Building Service Worker - Level 2 (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 April 2013
Work is routine, but enjoyable. Supervisors and university managers work together and accept feedback to improve the job results and make the work environment pleasant. Multicultural work environment makes it interesting to get to know coworkers. There is a lot of independence to get the work done and time management is important due to the work load. Overall the workplace is supportive and I would recommend it to those interested in applying for positions.
Pros
Supportive environment, decent salary, excellent benefits
Cons
Routine work, large organization with typical bureaucratic red tape for every decision which has to be made.
A good place to work, although they do not always offer or have full-time shifts for their employees. The pay is decent so long as you work full-time
General Worker 2 (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 March 2016
When at it's steadiest for work you are keep quite busy. You learn how to work quickly and eficiently, without supervision.
Fairly good place to work
program manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, B22 April 2012
Basically, UVic is an okay place to work. Job security is good, but there's little room for advancement from most positions. The management and culture are different in different departments - some are great, others are terrible.
Pros
setting is nice: greenery, walking paths
Cons
it's so very political, people who are bad at their jobs aren't dealt with
Excellent university to study
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 April 2016
Excellent academic environment.
Very skilled faculty members.
Up-to-date research topics.
Beautiful city to live in.
prefect place to work with
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 March 2016
good place to work, there are lots of nice professors there and you could learn valuable things under their supervision. people are also nice there.
great place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  victoria. bc canada9 April 2015
innovative environment, the pressure to succeed, enjoyed the benefits, such as subsidized health insurance for workers, overall, management was kind to its workers, learned a lot from senior colleagues. great experience.
Pros
great work place
Cons
Too cliuey
Excellent place to conduct research
MSc student (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 February 2016
The University of Victoria is a great place to be a student and employee. It provides a fun, engaging and professional atmosphere for conducting research.
Great experiences in teaching
Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 August 2013
It was just a temporary job as a lab instructor as a grad student in our school, UVic. I really enjoyed to teach health care management, accounting, and economics' rules and principles to such interested students. Some of my responsibilities and accomplishments were as follows:
• Responsibilities: Conducting Lab HINF 265-Health care Delivery and Organizational Models.
• Accomplishments: Taught: Financial and Management Accounting, Cost-Volume Profit (CVP), Analysis and Activity Based Costing (ABC), Time Value of Money and Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBA), Health Performance Management: Measurements & Standards, Asset Amortization/Depreciation and Capital Budgeting Techniques, and Introduction to Inventory Management.
Pros
Lots of things to learn
Cons
A temporary job
exciting , got to watch basketball games, work experience
uvic basketball score keeping (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 August 2013
Developed great skills in focusing on my work and making sure i did not slip up l. I learned to be one minded to focused on work. Co-worker's were very nice and supportive. The hardest part was to stay focusing while their is many distractions going on. i got to watch basketball being played at high level learning more about the game
Pros
work experince
Cons
low salary, less hours
Work culture that caters to a healthy work/life balance
Sponsorship Officer (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 June 2015
The University of Victoria is a workplace environment that provides flexibility, strong work/life balance, healthy and sustainable practices and situated in a beautiful area in town.
great pay
Sous Chef - University of Victoria - Cook IV (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 May 2015
This place pays very well, just don't expect respect or full time hours. Also, management is a reactive group, so anything to be proactive they will ignore your suggestions, until it's a problem and then you should have told them before.

University of Victoria Reviews by Location