University of Victoria

University of Victoria Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Work culture that caters to a healthy work/life balance
Sponsorship Officer (Current Employee), Victoria, BCJune 9, 2015
The University of Victoria is a workplace environment that provides flexibility, strong work/life balance, healthy and sustainable practices and situated in a beautiful area in town.
great pay
Sous Chef - University of Victoria - Cook IV (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMay 20, 2015
This place pays very well, just don't expect respect or full time hours. Also, management is a reactive group, so anything to be proactive they will ignore your suggestions, until it's a problem and then you should have told them before.
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Victoria, BCMay 11, 2015
Pros: Culture is great, communication is always wonderful.
Cons: Many different departments
In Annual Giving, my day typically involved closing various actions in the Raiser's Edge database for the Annual Giving Officer I was working under. Then I would work on the various projects that she and the Coordinator or Manager were working on.

I developed a more advanced skill-set in utilizing Microsoft Office in conjunction with both Raiser's Edge and CampusCall databases, as well as interpersonal relationships within a professional office setting. I also learned about the nuances and challenges of the administrative side of fundraising for the different scholarships and bursaries of a university institution.

Management was solid in the department I was working in. Upper management had/has a great relationship with all levels of responsibility, both interpersonal and communication.

The initial learning curve was rather steep, but once I learned what was needed, it was manageable. Conversely, the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the final projects reach fruition and being informed that our goals had been met by the various philanthropic individuals and businesses we reached out to.
great place to work
Assistant (Former Employee), victoria. bc canadaApril 9, 2015
Pros: great work place
Cons: Too cliuey
innovative environment, the pressure to succeed, enjoyed the benefits, such as subsidized health insurance for workers, overall, management was kind to its workers, learned a lot from senior colleagues. great experience.
great for research.
Research Assoc & Post-doctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 14, 2015
highly recommend for these interest in academic and research.
work effectively in a team environment.
great support from the university.
Union Run
University of Victoria - Cook (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 9, 2015
Pros: great hourly wage
Cons: lay off's at reading breaks and summer
The University is a good place for rate of pay, however if your looking for full time work, this is not the company to work for.
Helpful for future development
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Victoria, BCFebruary 22, 2015
I learned how to be a Teaching Assistant. the hardest part of job is sometimes the students consider you as a prof and ask some question which being a TA we also need to think about them.
Excellent
Physics Lab Instructor and Course Marking (Current Employee), Victoria, BCJanuary 28, 2015
UVic is one of the most beautiful campuses in all of North America. Also, as a grad from UVic, I can say hands-down that the experience at UVic is much better. It is most absolutely a perfectly sized university. Its big enough that it has a wide range of programs and professors whose research is recognized world-wide, and small enough that you can feel like a human being, learning within an academic community. Also - remember, universities don't 'produce you' - you have to read and engage - UVic is the perfect place to do that, and to have an amazing West Coast experience at the same time.
Youthful atmosphere with many work/recreational options to pursue
Clerk III (Current Employee), Victoria, BCNovember 28, 2014
Pros: wildlife (i.e. deer)
Cons: unfriendly traffic routes
I enjoy working here because one is always learning, surrounded by motivated and enthusiastic professionals in beautiful surroundings. The campus is growing as the years go by but still feels like an intimate environment suitable for creating lasting friendships and professional associations.
Supportive Environment
Co-op Student (Former Employee), Victoria, BCOctober 22, 2014
A support environment where your opinions are heard. Everyone is very professional and incredibly good at their jobs.
It is a great place to work
Research Assistant, Professor Neil Burford (Former Employee), Victoria, BCSeptember 4, 2014
Great professors and great alumni, there are a lot of research projects to work on.
Very enjoyable work atmosphere
Research Technician (Former Employee), Victoria, BCOctober 16, 2013
Pros: great people, awesome campus, wonderful atmosphere.
Cons: low pay
Alongside personal research I aided in general lab maintenance and occasionally the research of my colleagues, whom were very receptive, thoughtful and resourceful. Hardest part of the job was experimental design. Flexible hours made the job very reasonable; work was enjoyable.
Nice working experience to help customers and make friends on campus
Student Union Building (Former Employee), Victoria, BCOctober 2, 2013
Comfortable workplace. Supper nice and helpful management team. Learned product knowledge and how to create possitive customer experience.
A diverse and intellectually stimulating environment
Telephone Research Interviewer (Former Employee), Victoria, BCSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: interviews, coworkers, work environment, work culture
Cons: short hours, no benefits
The University of Victoria's Center on Aging offered diverse and intellectually stimulating work to their employees. I was personally employed by the Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging and my duties included using a research specific program to conduct hour long interviews with volunteers from British Columbia, Alberta, and Manitoba. My coworkers were mostly fellow students of the University of Victoria, but also included many older adults. All of us wanting to be part of a research study that will be used for generations to better the health of our aging population. The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable, interviewing an aging population. Many people were cooperative and offered unique and insightful information, yet there were always a few who required special care. I took with me a new perspective on aging, strengthened interpersonal communication skills, and a passion for social justice.
exciting , got to watch basketball games, work experience
uvic basketball score keeping (Former Employee), Victoria, BCAugust 8, 2013
Pros: work experince
Cons: low salary, less hours
Developed great skills in focusing on my work and making sure i did not slip up l. I learned to be one minded to focused on work. Co-worker's were very nice and supportive. The hardest part was to stay focusing while their is many distractions going on. i got to watch basketball being played at high level learning more about the game
Great experiences in teaching
Lab Instructor (Former Employee), Victoria, BCAugust 4, 2013
Pros: lots of things to learn
Cons: a temporary job
It was just a temporary job as a lab instructor as a grad student in our school, UVic. I really enjoyed to teach health care management, accounting, and economics' rules and principles to such interested students. Some of my responsibilities and accomplishments were as follows:
• Responsibilities: Conducting Lab HINF 265-Health care Delivery and Organizational Models.
• Accomplishments: Taught: Financial and Management Accounting, Cost-Volume Profit (CVP), Analysis and Activity Based Costing (ABC), Time Value of Money and Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBA), Health Performance Management: Measurements & Standards, Asset Amortization/Depreciation and Capital Budgeting Techniques, and Introduction to Inventory Management.
Good job but only part-time
Service Worker ll (Current Employee), Victoria, BCJune 18, 2013
Pros: seeing familiar faces and new stories each day
Cons: only part-time
The day is fast passed and busy
Cleaning washrooms in the residence's for the students and keeping the buildings clean and shiny.
My co-workers are amazing. We laugh and share each other's good times and bad times.
My satisfaction is usually from parents saying that when they visit, everything smells nice and fresh.
Respectful work environment, approachable management
Building Service Worker - Level 2 (Current Employee), Victoria, BCApril 26, 2013
Pros: supportive environment, decent salary, excellent benefits
Cons: routine work, large organization with typical bureaucratic red tape for every decision which has to be made.
Work is routine, but enjoyable. Supervisors and university managers work together and accept feedback to improve the job results and make the work environment pleasant. Multicultural work environment makes it interesting to get to know coworkers. There is a lot of independence to get the work done and time management is important due to the work load. Overall the workplace is supportive and I would recommend it to those interested in applying for positions.
people are not valued in this top-heavy management loving bureaucracy
coordinator (Current Employee), cooperative educationMarch 25, 2013
Pros: campus is pretty, access to fitness facilities
Cons: bad management culture and long hours
The culture has become one where staff are afraid to advocate for change. Management across many units is self-serving. People are not encourageed to innovate. Staff are seldom commended for their hard work. Many layoffs occurring across campus in a sterile and disheartening manner. Workload is beccoming unmanageable with no moral support for the increases. The expectation is simply "do more with less." It is a culture of over-work where overtime goes unrecognized because staff are heavily discourageed from reporting it. Managers manipulate a vaguely worded collrctive agreement to further hidden agendas. Transparency and accountability are not applied to managers.

Coworkers have low morale. Great people but many are apathetic and jaded. People sem burnt out.

A typical day involves working through lunch and taking no breaks. Staff often put in a lot of extra time to manage the load. Standard work week is 35 hours on paper but more like 50-60.
lack of encouraging management seems to be the downfall of an otherwise great place to work and live.
Head Cook and Part-Time Manager (Former Employee), Bamfield, BCMarch 23, 2013
Pros: working with great people
Cons: getting harrassed by management
A typical day would start at 6 am making muffins and preparing breakfast for all students special diets considered as well as ensuring all a balanced diet. Enjoying serving the students and receiving praise for a job well done.These days are but a memory with the great coworkers and good times.Feeding and making the stay of our clients was a perfect balance of work communication and fun. The hardest part was dealing with hard headed new management with ideas of an unneeded change to the point of trying to re invent the wheel. Staff and paying students all powerless to the deteriation of BMSC. I really miss the job the students and all the people I met along the way.I wish I could have stayed but it was too hard to deal with management staff.

About University of Victoria

The University of Victoria (Commonly referred to as uVictoria or UVic) is the second oldest public research university in British – Read more