University of Victoria

University of Victoria Employee Reviews

A great place to work
FOOD SERVICE WORKER/COOK (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 10, 2016
Working as a team, you provide the best quality food to student residents. Management was always there to help out. I learned how to provide great customer service to students, who are not necessarily pleasant and polite. The hardest part of the job was being around some co-workers who were not pulling their weight. The most enjoyable part of the job was being busy all the time.
Pros
Free food!
Cons
Sometimes the supervising cooks were a little grouchy
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 11, 2015
In Annual Giving, my day typically involved closing various actions in the Raiser's Edge database for the Annual Giving Officer I was working under. Then I would work on the various projects that she and the Coordinator or Manager were working on.

I developed a more advanced skill-set in utilizing Microsoft Office in conjunction with both Raiser's Edge and CampusCall databases, as well as interpersonal relationships within a professional office setting. I also learned about the nuances and challenges of the administrative side of fundraising for the different scholarships and bursaries of a university institution.

Management was solid in the department I was working in. Upper management had/has a great relationship with all levels of responsibility, both interpersonal and communication.

The initial learning curve was rather steep, but once I learned what was needed, it was manageable. Conversely, the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the final projects reach fruition and being informed that our goals had been met by the various philanthropic individuals and businesses we reached out to.
Pros
Culture is great, communication is always wonderful.
Cons
Many different departments
lack of encouraging management seems to be the downfall of an otherwise great place to work and live.
Head Cook and Part-Time Manager (Former Employee) –  Bamfield, BCMarch 23, 2013
A typical day would start at 6 am making muffins and preparing breakfast for all students special diets considered as well as ensuring all a balanced diet. Enjoying serving the students and receiving praise for a job well done.These days are but a memory with the great coworkers and good times.Feeding and making the stay of our clients was a perfect balance of work communication and fun. The hardest part was dealing with hard headed new management with ideas of an unneeded change to the point of trying to re invent the wheel. Staff and paying students all powerless to the deteriation of BMSC. I really miss the job the students and all the people I met along the way.I wish I could have stayed but it was too hard to deal with management staff.
Pros
working with great people
Cons
getting harrassed by management
A good place to work, although they do not always offer or have full-time shifts for their employees. The pay is decent so long as you work full-time
General Worker 2 (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 23, 2016
When at it's steadiest for work you are keep quite busy. You learn how to work quickly and eficiently, without supervision.
Excellent university to study
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 20, 2016
Excellent academic environment.
Very skilled faculty members.
Up-to-date research topics.
Beautiful city to live in.
people are not valued in this top-heavy management loving bureaucracy
coordinator (Current Employee) –  cooperative educationMarch 25, 2013
The culture has become one where staff are afraid to advocate for change. Management across many units is self-serving. People are not encourageed to innovate. Staff are seldom commended for their hard work. Many layoffs occurring across campus in a sterile and disheartening manner. Workload is beccoming unmanageable with no moral support for the increases. The expectation is simply "do more with less." It is a culture of over-work where overtime goes unrecognized because staff are heavily discourageed from reporting it. Managers manipulate a vaguely worded collrctive agreement to further hidden agendas. Transparency and accountability are not applied to managers.

Coworkers have low morale. Great people but many are apathetic and jaded. People sem burnt out.

A typical day involves working through lunch and taking no breaks. Staff often put in a lot of extra time to manage the load. Standard work week is 35 hours on paper but more like 50-60.
Pros
campus is pretty, access to fitness facilities
Cons
bad management culture and long hours
prefect place to work with
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 17, 2016
good place to work, there are lots of nice professors there and you could learn valuable things under their supervision. people are also nice there.
Excellent place to conduct research
MSc student (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 15, 2016
The University of Victoria is a great place to be a student and employee. It provides a fun, engaging and professional atmosphere for conducting research.
Respectful work environment, approachable management
Building Service Worker - Level 2 (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 26, 2013
Work is routine, but enjoyable. Supervisors and university managers work together and accept feedback to improve the job results and make the work environment pleasant. Multicultural work environment makes it interesting to get to know coworkers. There is a lot of independence to get the work done and time management is important due to the work load. Overall the workplace is supportive and I would recommend it to those interested in applying for positions.
Pros
supportive environment, decent salary, excellent benefits
Cons
routine work, large organization with typical bureaucratic red tape for every decision which has to be made.
Fairly good place to work
program manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BApril 22, 2012
Basically, UVic is an okay place to work. Job security is good, but there's little room for advancement from most positions. The management and culture are different in different departments - some are great, others are terrible.
Pros
setting is nice: greenery, walking paths
Cons
it's so very political, people who are bad at their jobs aren't dealt with
A diverse and intellectually stimulating environment
Telephone Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCSeptember 9, 2013
The University of Victoria's Center on Aging offered diverse and intellectually stimulating work to their employees. I was personally employed by the Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging and my duties included using a research specific program to conduct hour long interviews with volunteers from British Columbia, Alberta, and Manitoba. My coworkers were mostly fellow students of the University of Victoria, but also included many older adults. All of us wanting to be part of a research study that will be used for generations to better the health of our aging population. The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable, interviewing an aging population. Many people were cooperative and offered unique and insightful information, yet there were always a few who required special care. I took with me a new perspective on aging, strengthened interpersonal communication skills, and a passion for social justice.
Pros
interviews, coworkers, work environment, work culture
Cons
short hours, no benefits
great place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  victoria. bc canadaApril 9, 2015
innovative environment, the pressure to succeed, enjoyed the benefits, such as subsidized health insurance for workers, overall, management was kind to its workers, learned a lot from senior colleagues. great experience.
Pros
great work place
Cons
Too cliuey
Great experiences in teaching
Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 4, 2013
It was just a temporary job as a lab instructor as a grad student in our school, UVic. I really enjoyed to teach health care management, accounting, and economics' rules and principles to such interested students. Some of my responsibilities and accomplishments were as follows:
• Responsibilities: Conducting Lab HINF 265-Health care Delivery and Organizational Models.
• Accomplishments: Taught: Financial and Management Accounting, Cost-Volume Profit (CVP), Analysis and Activity Based Costing (ABC), Time Value of Money and Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBA), Health Performance Management: Measurements & Standards, Asset Amortization/Depreciation and Capital Budgeting Techniques, and Introduction to Inventory Management.
Pros
lots of things to learn
Cons
a temporary job
Work culture that caters to a healthy work/life balance
Sponsorship Officer (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 9, 2015
The University of Victoria is a workplace environment that provides flexibility, strong work/life balance, healthy and sustainable practices and situated in a beautiful area in town.
great pay
Sous Chef - University of Victoria - Cook IV (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 20, 2015
This place pays very well, just don't expect respect or full time hours. Also, management is a reactive group, so anything to be proactive they will ignore your suggestions, until it's a problem and then you should have told them before.
exciting , got to watch basketball games, work experience
uvic basketball score keeping (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 8, 2013
Developed great skills in focusing on my work and making sure i did not slip up l. I learned to be one minded to focused on work. Co-worker's were very nice and supportive. The hardest part was to stay focusing while their is many distractions going on. i got to watch basketball being played at high level learning more about the game
Pros
work experince
Cons
low salary, less hours
Excellent
Physics Lab Instructor and Course Marking (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 28, 2015
UVic is one of the most beautiful campuses in all of North America. Also, as a grad from UVic, I can say hands-down that the experience at UVic is much better. It is most absolutely a perfectly sized university. Its big enough that it has a wide range of programs and professors whose research is recognized world-wide, and small enough that you can feel like a human being, learning within an academic community. Also - remember, universities don't 'produce you' - you have to read and engage - UVic is the perfect place to do that, and to have an amazing West Coast experience at the same time.
Business Co-op Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 7, 2012
great culture, good balance of work/quality of life.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Nice working experience to help customers and make friends on campus
Student Union Building (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCOctober 2, 2013
Comfortable workplace. Supper nice and helpful management team. Learned product knowledge and how to create possitive customer experience.
Terrible place to work
Former supervisor (Former Employee) –  University of Victoria, BCMay 11, 2012
People who have been there forever are not willing to accept changes.. they rather give terrible customer services than to adapt to a bette practices of services. I was schock to see how they cover their backs unfortunately not supporting the good but the bad habits. They claim not to hire people from the same family, yah right. At the department I worked, there was mother and son working, cousins and even husbad and wife. You got to be kidding me. Talking about been hipocritical.
Pros
nothing, waste of time
Cons
knowing that is not a good place to work at it

University of Victoria Reviews by Location