University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
I learned a lot at U of T
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 15, 2012
-Taught weekly tutorial sessions, explained concepts and resolving academic questions for students.
-Evaluate and assess students’ performance using assignments and test procedures.
-Demonstrated excellent communication skills.
-Showed strong work initiative and detail orientated work attitude, appreciated by professors and fellow students.
fun workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 14, 2012
No tension, Thoughts and idea can be shared. Best place to expose your talent and ideal place for research. Most enjoyable work environment
Fun to work in
Interviewer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 11, 2012
Great place, friendly environment. Equal opportunity employer. Too strict, but I understand why.
Challenging, rewarding, instructional
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 9, 2012
Friendly coworkers and supportive supervisors. Teaching students and leading tutorials was an engaging experience.
The most enjoyable part of the job was walking into class every week to students who respected you and were eager to learn from you and share their own ideas. Seeing their work improve throughout the year and knowing you had a part to play – more... in their intellectual development was very rewarding. – less
It was a busy office, but no chance for advancement
Receptionist/Typist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 5, 2012
Supervisor was a great person to work with, and learned a lot.
Was a fun place to work, but it was only contract
Receptionist/Typist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 5, 2012
Was a fast paced place, co-workers were nice to work with. I learned a lot also
Productive and conducive environment for learning leadership skills
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2012
Pros: meeting incredible people
Cons: lack of commitment, organization of campus group
Attending weekly meetings and acted as a liaison between the campus group and the Volunteer Coordinator of the 416 Women's Community Drop-In Centre.

Organized, recruited volunteers and set up meetings to discuss the progress of the volunteer program and if there were any complications with placements.

Hardest part was commitment from volunteers and – more... following up with individuals who did not commit to the program in the long term. – less
A great place to learn and receive research experience
Research Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 3, 2012
Pros: good experience, interesting experiments, learning new techniques and using new machines
Cons: low salary, no job security
The rating for this company is based on a contract employment position and would be very different for a full time employee overall and especially in the categories that were marked lower in this assessment. A typical day at work:
9:00: Turn on tissue culture hood, and put media in water bath. Plan out the experiments of the day and prepare the samples – more... needed

9:30: Perform lab activities if it is more efficient to do so in the morning. This includes Bradford assays, Western Blots, mini-preps, maxi-preps and running agarose gels.

12-1: Lunch

1:00: Transfer protein gels to PVDF, image agarose gels, determine DNA concentrations from mini-prep/maxi-prep

2:30: Perform tissue culture experiments including seeding or passing cells, changing media, infecting cells with virus, freezing cells, or harvesting virus

4:30: Record in the log book the activities of the day and clean up the bench. Check if anything needs to be autoclaved for the next day or if supplies need to be refilled

5:00: End of day. More often than not the day would go longer because of experiments taking longer to 6:30

It was a very good experience working here and I learned many new techniques as stated above including western blotting, tissue culture work and several molecular biology techniques such as site directed mutagenesis. I also learned about the alternative splicing of HIV-1 that is required for its proliferation as that was the focus of the lab I was in.

The management was good and they had recently made a break room space for the floor I was working on including a big screen TV, couches and a lunch room area with a fridge, microwave, toaster and dishwasher. With the occasional coffee and cookies session and monthly floor parties it was an enjoyable aspect of working at U of T.

My coworkers were very helpful during my time directing me to wherever I needed to go and showing me how to perform the various techniques required to do my experiments. Most of my coworkers were also closer to my age and so we shared a lot of common interests, but in general the people working on my floor were very courteous and helpful and contributed to the positive experience I had here.

The hardest part of the job was having to deal with experiments not working for various different reasons and trying to be patient and realizing that in research not everything is going to work right away. However it was also interesting to try and solve those problems by troubleshooting.

The most enjoyable part of the job was simply learning all the different techniques involved in the research process and seeing the results from your experiments. Whether the results were promising or if the experiment did not give the expected results it was good to try and learn from my mistakes and try new things. And it was especially enjoyable when experiments worked, and particularly if they were something difficult or something that had taken time to get a successful result – less
Learning institution
Special Projects Librarian / Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 6, 2012
Pros: christmas holiday
Cons: long commuting
Very pleasant working environment, nice colleagues and good training
Intuitive and challenging
Geography Major Student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 17, 2012
* Independent atmosphere
* Expected to push beyond the average
* Very competitive
Excellent workplace
Project manager -- health and safety (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 11, 2012
Opportunities for advancement. Supportive research and teaching environment.
Very nice work enviroment
Library Volunteer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 7, 2012
Management/co-workers are very polite. Would love to work here again if I get the chance.
productive and innovative
Lecture Capture Pilot (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 4, 2012
Met with new people almost every day. The management was great. co-workers were all nice people. Hardest part of the job was running around different buildings.
Productive work place
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 12, 2014
I had the opportunity to further improve my skills:
Time Management
Critical Thinking
Problem Solving
Work under pressure
Good job
Programmer / Researcher (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: research environment
Cons: office location
Worked for a lab in the Biology department for a few months. Taught myself skills and created programming tools.
GOOD EXPERIENCE PROVIDED BY PROFESSORS.
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 13, 2013
Pros: learned total process from start to finish
Cons: having to defend hypothesis, procedures & findings in front of a committee.
2 Educational based studies to determine how to improve learning motivation in kids. Full involuement & responsibility to initate a scientific hypothesis, to determine a proposed explanation for a phenomenon based on the scientific method. Then to conduct & finish research. Have prepared the completed study for presentation at Annual Conference for – more... Research in education. – less
Great place to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 9, 2013
It is a great institution with numerous interdisciplinary departments
It is a great place for research and learning
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2013
Everyday I get to take on a new challenge in concrete materials research.
fun place to be in
Research Team Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 30, 2013
I learned a lot from my school, i met great people and got good results
Great learning place
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: collaboration with other peers.
As a graduate student, I had an awesome opportunity to work as a research assistant and I enjoyed every minute of it!
The professors were great and very supportive. I worked for 8-9 months for my research in addition to my course work and I had a fantastic time!

About University of Toronto

The University of Toronto (U of T, UToronto, or simply Toronto) is a public research university in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, situated – Read more