University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun and Challenging
User Experience Designer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 17, 2015
Learned a lot about multimedia editing skills and design. Solo UX design project allows me to start a project from scratch, it is challenging and fun.
Very Productive
Research Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 15, 2015
I was always kept busy. I have learned at lot from working at kfc. It was a great place to start your working experience. I would recommend kfc
Amazing Workplace
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2014
Great facilities and location. As a researcher, you have access to amazing equipment and facilities. Great environment for collaboration with world renowed scientists.
Pros
location
Cons
salary
Friendly workplace
Program Coordinator Advanced Learning Program (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2015
Most days I get in early so I can get emails done and be ready for the team meeting. The trainings need a great deal of networking with program and curriculum directors. I need to understand the details because I am the first front line support before, during and after session activities for students and faculty.
Pros
Free breakfast an lunch during sessions
Cons
you need to put long hours to be ready before each trainig
Its a nice and fun envoirement to work in.
Network Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 3, 2013
Its is a good place to work. The benefits are great, for example if you are an employee at UofT then and further education from UofT is compensated. I enjoyed working there.
Work Study Position is great as a Student
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 14, 2015
Great position to apply and to work as a student. The department is very nice and the supervisors are always there to help you out with exam time schedule and other activities.
Pros
good hours, lenient boss
Impulse Group Canada
I am going to this university (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2015
This was a good experience. Learnt a lot of things from my co-worker. This was my first job also. The hardest part of the job is that we had to wake up early and long hours.
Pros
experience
Cons
had to pay for food, and had to pay for gas when to going to make sales to different companies
Temporary Employee
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONAugust 21, 2015
Although I am just a temporary employee for the rush hour I will certainly work again for this company. It was an on campus job so it was really convenient.
Love to provide help and serve students
President (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 17, 2013
love to provide help, serve students and hosting events. Very friendly staff
Pros
enjoy what you do
Cons
salary
Great place for diversity
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 28, 2013
As a unionized employee, I have secure pay and good health benefits. It's a good place to work at.
Good University but less payment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2015
The research environment was good.
Professor and colleague are nice and hard working
Payment was not good
After working life was not rich
Research culture was rigorous
Pros
The research environment was good. Professor and colleague are nice and hard working
Cons
Payment was not good
Excellent
Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2015
Study load in U of T is pretty heavy and every one is working very hard. Overall it is very good. Professors are very knowledgeable.
Fun environment with friendly staff
UC Registrar's office (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 13, 2015
Typical day at work involved three rounds of premises per 8 hour shift, ensuring the float is maintained, assisting residents with any issues they may have with their rooms, distributing mail and depending on the kind of emergencies, i would call engineers to come and fix something or campus police or even ambulances.Above all, keep record of all events of the shift.
Pros
can study too if it isn't too busy
Good job
Financial Aid Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 29, 2015
the people are amazing, the management can be better, but the work environment is fun

Undoubtedly there are negatives that I have been fortunate enough to not to run into, but I can only speak to my experiences so far.
A great place to learn and receive research experience
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 3, 2012
The rating for this company is based on a contract employment position and would be very different for a full time employee overall and especially in the categories that were marked lower in this assessment. A typical day at work:
9:00: Turn on tissue culture hood, and put media in water bath. Plan out the experiments of the day and prepare the samples needed

9:30: Perform lab activities if it is more efficient to do so in the morning. This includes Bradford assays, Western Blots, mini-preps, maxi-preps and running agarose gels.

12-1: Lunch

1:00: Transfer protein gels to PVDF, image agarose gels, determine DNA concentrations from mini-prep/maxi-prep

2:30: Perform tissue culture experiments including seeding or passing cells, changing media, infecting cells with virus, freezing cells, or harvesting virus

4:30: Record in the log book the activities of the day and clean up the bench. Check if anything needs to be autoclaved for the next day or if supplies need to be refilled

5:00: End of day. More often than not the day would go longer because of experiments taking longer to 6:30

It was a very good experience working here and I learned many new techniques as stated above including western blotting, tissue culture work and several molecular biology techniques such as site directed mutagenesis. I also learned about the alternative splicing of HIV-1 that is required for its proliferation as that was the focus of the lab I was in.

The management was good and they had recently made a break room space for the floor I was working on including a big screen TV, couches and a lunch
  more... room area with a fridge, microwave, toaster and dishwasher. With the occasional coffee and cookies session and monthly floor parties it was an enjoyable aspect of working at U of T.

My coworkers were very helpful during my time directing me to wherever I needed to go and showing me how to perform the various techniques required to do my experiments. Most of my coworkers were also closer to my age and so we shared a lot of common interests, but in general the people working on my floor were very courteous and helpful and contributed to the positive experience I had here.

The hardest part of the job was having to deal with experiments not working for various different reasons and trying to be patient and realizing that in research not everything is going to work right away. However it was also interesting to try and solve those problems by troubleshooting.

The most enjoyable part of the job was simply learning all the different techniques involved in the research process and seeing the results from your experiments. Whether the results were promising or if the experiment did not give the expected results it was good to try and learn from my mistakes and try new things. And it was especially enjoyable when experiments worked, and particularly if they were something difficult or something that had taken time to get a successful result
Pros
good experience, interesting experiments, learning new techniques and using new machines
Cons
low salary, no job security
Good opportunity to develop intrapersonal skills
Basketball League Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2015
Gave me the opportunity to see development in terms of self growth. Learnt to deal with several scenarios that helped me develop my skills in dealing with clients. Helped me understand the concepts of time management and managing peers.
Working Friendly and flexible
E-mentor, ISC, Department (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 25, 2015
Ability to develop new skill
All employees are really nice
Working time is petty flexible
work on campus
good experience
members are supportive
Pros
work on campus
Cons
minimum wages
A great learning experience
Biomedical Engineer - Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 12, 2014
The day would start with a meeting with the fellow laboratory partners. Everyone would discuss about the challenges that they are facing in their research. Ideas will be suggested and critically analysed. Owing to the diverse scientific background, it was always great to see the different ways different scientist would approach some problems. After the meeting, I would proceed to my workplace and start developing different surfaces for cell culture. A single culture surface would take days or sometimes weeks to manufacture. Time management was essential to achieve a good yield.

The hardest part of the job was to be helpless while waiting for an equipment to be repaired. The best part of the job was to see the great results when an implemented idea works beautifully. As part of the job, I have developed new skills in microfabrication, cell culture and microscopy.
Pros
freedom to express originality and creativity
Cons
some materials would take too long to reach the workplace
This is the school where I earn my Master Degree
Researcher (Former Employee) –  TorontoJuly 14, 2015
I encountered many talent people, from whom I learnt a lot of technical skills. Also, my supervisor was knowledgable and patient.
Challenging and rewarding learning opportunity
Stage Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 2, 2014
Working as a stage manager for the Leigha Lee Browne Theatre at the University of Toronto - Scarborough Campus, I worked frequently between and after my classes there. I learned how to manage a variety of different goals and expectations from a number of sources while still maintaining my own integrity and values. I expanded and grew upon my skills in managing a large team of over 20 peers working in the production. Part of my job was often to act as a medium between upper-level employees in leadership positions and actors in less artistically decisive positions. The hardest part of this work was to organize a multitude of schedules in a way that worked collectively for the entire group. I would say the most enjoyable part of this work was growing as a team that worked to pursue the same goals for themselves and each other.
Pros
teamwork opportunities and rewarding experiences
Cons
long hours and often unfair pay rates

4.4