University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Good Orgnaization
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2015
CAM-H, is a well organized institution to work for. Everything runs smoothly, and everything is done well. There is no doubt that this is the leader in mental health research and treatment in Canada. The security and location are ideal as well.
engaging and lots of learning at UofT
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 14, 2015
I code using the program language R, and I get help from my co-workers if I have no other solutions. I learned a lot during this job, and still am.
Amazing Workplace
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2014
Great facilities and location. As a researcher, you have access to amazing equipment and facilities. Great environment for collaboration with world renowed scientists.
Pros
location
Cons
salary
fun and lively
teaching assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 24, 2015
I thoroughly enjoy engaging and teaching students using real-life and relevant examples. My coworkers are supportive. The hardest but the most rewarding part is seeing that "aha" moment when students understand course material.
Its a nice and fun envoirement to work in.
Network Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 3, 2013
Its is a good place to work. The benefits are great, for example if you are an employee at UofT then and further education from UofT is compensated. I enjoyed working there.
Productive, Upbeat
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
Productive and up beat environment. Allows time for work to be done efficiently and independently. Management is supportive.
I worked with student volunteers and enjoyed my time doing volunteer work
Income Tax Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2015
The working environment is friendly and supportive. I enjoyed working with teams and provide free services to University students.
Love to provide help and serve students
President (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 17, 2013
love to provide help, serve students and hosting events. Very friendly staff
Pros
enjoy what you do
Cons
salary
Great place for diversity
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 28, 2013
As a unionized employee, I have secure pay and good health benefits. It's a good place to work at.
Professional environment for advanced learning
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2015
Great experience to teach talented students. Topics to be taught are advanced and challenging, at the same time the TAs culture is helpful in terms of assisting each other towards best teaching the students.
As an instructor I am provided all the support I need
Part-Time Professor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONNovember 2, 2015
I work once a week at the Scarborough Campus.
I enjoy these assignments.
I enjoy the interaction with students.
Class support for technical aspects is good
Amazing Learning environment
Project Manager/Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 6, 2015
Professors and Assistant professors really focus on your growth and motivate you constantly.

Great academic environment.
good
Volunteered as student leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 31, 2015
after school volunteer which is very convenient with the time. get to help those who is in need of understanding school materials. fun talking to young and enthusiastic students.
Great
Scientific Diligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 20, 2015
Full of talented individuals, outstanding staff.

Can be tough at times to navigate between the campuses.

It is definitely one of the best schools in the country
Pros
Different experts of various fields always present
productive
Bio-tech (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 16, 2015
productive, fun place, clean environment. Not all about the number but how you personally grow and develop. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside with colleagues and learning from them.
A great place to learn and receive research experience
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 3, 2012
The rating for this company is based on a contract employment position and would be very different for a full time employee overall and especially in the categories that were marked lower in this assessment. A typical day at work:
9:00: Turn on tissue culture hood, and put media in water bath. Plan out the experiments of the day and prepare the samples needed

9:30: Perform lab activities if it is more efficient to do so in the morning. This includes Bradford assays, Western Blots, mini-preps, maxi-preps and running agarose gels.

12-1: Lunch

1:00: Transfer protein gels to PVDF, image agarose gels, determine DNA concentrations from mini-prep/maxi-prep

2:30: Perform tissue culture experiments including seeding or passing cells, changing media, infecting cells with virus, freezing cells, or harvesting virus

4:30: Record in the log book the activities of the day and clean up the bench. Check if anything needs to be autoclaved for the next day or if supplies need to be refilled

5:00: End of day. More often than not the day would go longer because of experiments taking longer to 6:30

It was a very good experience working here and I learned many new techniques as stated above including western blotting, tissue culture work and several molecular biology techniques such as site directed mutagenesis. I also learned about the alternative splicing of HIV-1 that is required for its proliferation as that was the focus of the lab I was in.

The management was good and they had recently made a break room space for the floor I was working on including a big screen TV, couches and a lunch
  more... room area with a fridge, microwave, toaster and dishwasher. With the occasional coffee and cookies session and monthly floor parties it was an enjoyable aspect of working at U of T.

My coworkers were very helpful during my time directing me to wherever I needed to go and showing me how to perform the various techniques required to do my experiments. Most of my coworkers were also closer to my age and so we shared a lot of common interests, but in general the people working on my floor were very courteous and helpful and contributed to the positive experience I had here.

The hardest part of the job was having to deal with experiments not working for various different reasons and trying to be patient and realizing that in research not everything is going to work right away. However it was also interesting to try and solve those problems by troubleshooting.

The most enjoyable part of the job was simply learning all the different techniques involved in the research process and seeing the results from your experiments. Whether the results were promising or if the experiment did not give the expected results it was good to try and learn from my mistakes and try new things. And it was especially enjoyable when experiments worked, and particularly if they were something difficult or something that had taken time to get a successful result
Pros
good experience, interesting experiments, learning new techniques and using new machines
Cons
low salary, no job security
Duties at U of T
Part-time Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
Working as a part-time customer service assistant,provided positive customer service at the office reception such as verifying eligibility and completing each transaction.
Friendly workplace
Program Coordinator Advanced Learning Program (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2015
Most days I get in early so I can get emails done and be ready for the team meeting. The trainings need a great deal of networking with program and curriculum directors. I need to understand the details because I am the first front line support before, during and after session activities for students and faculty.
Pros
Free breakfast an lunch during sessions
Cons
you need to put long hours to be ready before each trainig
Great Staff!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2015
- great culture to learn and grow
- Great team to be working with
- Provides continuous opportunities
- Gives employees empowerment ability
A great learning experience
Biomedical Engineer - Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 12, 2014
The day would start with a meeting with the fellow laboratory partners. Everyone would discuss about the challenges that they are facing in their research. Ideas will be suggested and critically analysed. Owing to the diverse scientific background, it was always great to see the different ways different scientist would approach some problems. After the meeting, I would proceed to my workplace and start developing different surfaces for cell culture. A single culture surface would take days or sometimes weeks to manufacture. Time management was essential to achieve a good yield.

The hardest part of the job was to be helpless while waiting for an equipment to be repaired. The best part of the job was to see the great results when an implemented idea works beautifully. As part of the job, I have developed new skills in microfabrication, cell culture and microscopy.
Pros
freedom to express originality and creativity
Cons
some materials would take too long to reach the workplace

4.4