University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 24, 2013
- Telephone answering, customer service, student queries and conference room bookings
- Sorted and distributed mail, faxes, and redirected mail to appropriate persons
- Assisted Administrative Officer with cataloging files, organizing filing system
- Sorting, recording, labeling and filing extensive and complex files
- Faxed, printed, photocopied, filed – more... and scanned – less
Public job
Software Developer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 18, 2013
Good place to work, public sector job, comfortable, exciting and fun
Diverse workplace
Special Projects/Contracts (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 16, 2013
Pros: open learning environment
Cons: lacking investment in i.t. & adequate office equipment and applications, sometimes poor transmission of peer institutional knowledge, lacking project management supports.
U of T represents the dynamism and cultural landscape of the city very well.
Research Assisstant
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 3, 2013
A good opportunity to bond with professor with research field that interests you.
Co-op Position
Field Placement - POC Assistant - Co-op (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2013
Pros: challenging learning experience
Cons: ended too quickly, it was only a co-op
A very fun, challenging and fast paced environment. It was mostly a learning experience, changing and upgrading network switches and working mostly in Virtual Machines.
Very easygoing
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2013
Pros: university environment
Cons: none whatsoever
My prof that I researched for, was extremely accommodating.
Avoid this place
Caretaking (Current Employee), MississaugaFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: wages
Cons: lazy administration, useless union, hr try to find a way to ignore or put fuell to the existing problems
Lucky I got hired, just noticed everyone is related or close friends
To the supervisor and dept. manager I have to walk on the fine line every single day not to mention how those no related get attacked every single day without being able to complain to anyone cuz nothing is confidential here. Do not waste your time applying here is a long old bad habit – more... supported be HR for many years and nothing done to change that. Every week they pick a name or 2 who to attack. Be smart stay away..... Or find out yourself.

Is a blame game every day. Do not trust HR/Union/administration they all have the same vision. Look after each other, cover up and take down who ever get on their way. – less

June 27, 2013

The University of Toronto is a great research institution as well as a family friendly, diverse work environment. There are several generations of U of T grads that come back to the University to work. U of T has been on the Top 100 Employer's List for countless years which exemplifies its commitment to its employees. I feel very fortunate to work for the University as it is a very stimulating environment with a wealth of knowledge and the benefit plans are very generous (great Pension Plan and health benefits). My children have also benefited from tax-free scholarships and I have also studied at this wonderful institution. I could not imagine working anywhere else!

July 2, 2013

One must also add that there are lots of very good people who are expremely competent at the UofT who are really out there to try to help people. But I will agree on the Union, the union reps and HR departments and their assistance programs are a bit of a smoke screen to secure their own positions, salaries and pensions. (Union and HR are immune from getting reorged). It's best stay a mile away from the union and HR and just deal with the right people.

Great learning place
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: collaboration with other peers.
As a graduate student, I had an awesome opportunity to work as a research assistant and I enjoyed every minute of it!
The professors were great and very supportive. I worked for 8-9 months for my research in addition to my course work and I had a fantastic time!
Love to provide help and serve students
President (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 17, 2013
Pros: enjoy what you do
Cons: salary
love to provide help, serve students and hosting events. Very friendly staff
Its a nice and fun envoirement to work in.
Network Survey Assistant (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONFebruary 3, 2013
Its is a good place to work. The benefits are great, for example if you are an employee at UofT then and further education from UofT is compensated. I enjoyed working there.
Volunteer Position
External Affairs Liaison and Event Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2013
I was the External Affairs Coordinator for the Historical Studies Society at the University of Toronto. I was incharge of planning and executing events, acting as a liasion between the HSS and the UTM Historical Studies Department, in addition to the UTMSU, HSS Faculty Liaison and the Head of the UTM Historical Studies Department. Furthermore I was – more... incharge of communicating the goals of the HSS to various off campus parties with the purpose of fundraising or marketing. The total student population that was reached out by the HSS was roughly 3-4000 students. – less
Productive and fun place
Technician III (Former Employee), Toronto, ONTJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: people
Cons: low salaries
Challenging but rewarding work being done at UofT. Hard working people in all departments doing amazing research.
Progressive and friendly workplace
Graduate Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2012
Graduate education at the University of Toronto allowed me to further develop my research interests in the civil engineering areas
Great learning opportunity
Research Assistant for Dr. Qaiser Fahim (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 5, 2012
Pros: working with a diverse pool of professionals, understanding about research ethics board across canada, flexible hours
Cons: keep up with the frequent deadlines
- pulling information from the internet and create a database
- Learned about REB across Canada and how they operate
- Working in a team of 5 people
- Sharing ideas
exceptional!
Building Operator (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 17, 2012
Pros: amazing wildlife
Cons: long commute
The UofT Mississauga campus is an absolute dream to work at. It is located in the middle of the Credit forest and the wildlife was very intersting.Seeing deer, coyoties foxes,etc made work not feel like work. The work load was on the mark,supervisors are great people and my collegues are some of the most well trained people.
Highly busy work environment that is fun, satisfying and challenging
Registrar Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 16, 2012
Pros: not enough time to build relationships
Cons: challenge that brings up the best in you
I managed the credential assessment applications. Communicated with applicants, processed their payments and entered the payments on the system. Updated the students records. Followed up on bouncing payments. Managed the front desk and acted as a first point of contact. Received calls and responded to inquiries. Channelled applications to the right – more... assessors, mailed processed assessment reports, and filed processed applications. – less
I learned a lot at U of T
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 15, 2012
-Taught weekly tutorial sessions, explained concepts and resolving academic questions for students.
-Evaluate and assess students’ performance using assignments and test procedures.
-Demonstrated excellent communication skills.
-Showed strong work initiative and detail orientated work attitude, appreciated by professors and fellow students.
fun workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 14, 2012
No tension, Thoughts and idea can be shared. Best place to expose your talent and ideal place for research. Most enjoyable work environment
Fun to work in
Interviewer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 11, 2012
Great place, friendly environment. Equal opportunity employer. Too strict, but I understand why.
Challenging, rewarding, instructional
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 9, 2012
Friendly coworkers and supportive supervisors. Teaching students and leading tutorials was an engaging experience.
The most enjoyable part of the job was walking into class every week to students who respected you and were eager to learn from you and share their own ideas. Seeing their work improve throughout the year and knowing you had a part to play – more... in their intellectual development was very rewarding. – less

About University of Toronto

The University of Toronto (U of T, UToronto, or simply Toronto) is a public research university in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, situated – Read more