University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It is a great place for research and learning
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2013
Everyday I get to take on a new challenge in concrete materials research.
A great way to enhance communication skills and the hours are flexible
Personal Trainer & Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2013
A typical day at work would include training clients and providing group fitness classes. With that said, being a Mississauga Aquatics Strength Coach, I also have to deal with groups of professional swimmers to provide for their training sessions to assist in their competitive swimming. I learned to cooperate with fellow trainers in an athletic environment – more... under an organized management. I also learned how to deal with customer-raised issues towards the athletic facility. To be honest, I enjoy working a lot and being part of the university's athletic institution. – less
Great place for diversity
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 28, 2013
As a unionized employee, I have secure pay and good health benefits. It's a good place to work at.
Good learning experience
Team Member - MIE491 Capstone Design Course (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 20, 2013
A typical day working on projects at the University of Toronto would involve a great deal of commitment (including late nighters and early mornings) as well as learning overall. My undergraduate experience has taught me quite a bit in terms of good work ethic and technical expertise in my areas of specialization. I would say that the most rewarding – more... part of this experience was the network of people that one gains after working on multiple projects with many talented people of different technical backgrounds. – less
Extremely competitive work environment
Ph.D. Candidate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 6, 2013
Pros: great research work
Cons: highly competitive
- Extremely competitive work environment
- No personnel support
- Limited resources
Highest paying university in Canada
Timetabling Officer (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 29, 2013
Very politically correct environment as in most post secondary environments.
Interactive and diverse workplace
President of UTSC Pre-Law Society (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONMay 9, 2013
UTSC Pre-Law Society is a student club at University of Toronto, with the mandate of helping out those interested in going to law school.

As the President, I oversee all Pre-Law events and operations. A typical shift would usually involve me hosting a meeting between executives to make decisions on events, guest speakers, supplies, budget, and other – more... important decisions. I'd then list out the tasks that need to be fulfilled and assign them to each executive. Since I did all the marketing, usually after that I'd advertise our events and the club via a mass email, facebook, twitter, and our school's website (intranet). When needed, I'd read resume, interview, and hire executives.

The hardest part of the job is motivating executives, as many tasks are rather boring and tedious. However, I achieved this by instilling a sense of teamwork within executives, and by rewarding executives with events like "executive appreciation night", where all the executives go to dinner together. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing everything come together at events, and see how much we benefited pre-law students.

I learned how to be a leader who needs to be both authoritative but also friendly with executives, and with pre-law members. I also learned how to interact with various school departments to get the job done. – less
The beuty of nature just wants us to be alive
Hart House A/P Clerk (Accpac (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 2, 2013
Co-workers students were all helpful in many ways.It was enjoyable every day.
fun place to be in
Research Team Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 30, 2013
I learned a lot from my school, i met great people and got good results
A great place to work
Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 27, 2013
I enjoyed my work as an internship at the Faculty. All the people there are friendly and helpful.
Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 24, 2013
- Telephone answering, customer service, student queries and conference room bookings
- Sorted and distributed mail, faxes, and redirected mail to appropriate persons
- Assisted Administrative Officer with cataloging files, organizing filing system
- Sorting, recording, labeling and filing extensive and complex files
- Faxed, printed, photocopied, filed – more... and scanned – less
Public job
Software Developer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 18, 2013
Good place to work, public sector job, comfortable, exciting and fun
Diverse workplace
Special Projects/Contracts (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 16, 2013
Pros: open learning environment
Cons: lacking investment in i.t. & adequate office equipment and applications, sometimes poor transmission of peer institutional knowledge, lacking project management supports.
U of T represents the dynamism and cultural landscape of the city very well.
Research Assisstant
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 3, 2013
A good opportunity to bond with professor with research field that interests you.
Co-op Position
Field Placement - POC Assistant - Co-op (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2013
Pros: challenging learning experience
Cons: ended too quickly, it was only a co-op
A very fun, challenging and fast paced environment. It was mostly a learning experience, changing and upgrading network switches and working mostly in Virtual Machines.
Very easygoing
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2013
Pros: university environment
Cons: none whatsoever
My prof that I researched for, was extremely accommodating.
Avoid this place
Caretaking (Current Employee), MississaugaFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: wages
Cons: lazy administration, useless union, hr try to find a way to ignore or put fuell to the existing problems
Lucky I got hired, just noticed everyone is related or close friends
To the supervisor and dept. manager I have to walk on the fine line every single day not to mention how those no related get attacked every single day without being able to complain to anyone cuz nothing is confidential here. Do not waste your time applying here is a long old bad habit – more... supported be HR for many years and nothing done to change that. Every week they pick a name or 2 who to attack. Be smart stay away..... Or find out yourself.

Is a blame game every day. Do not trust HR/Union/administration they all have the same vision. Look after each other, cover up and take down who ever get on their way. – less

June 27, 2013

The University of Toronto is a great research institution as well as a family friendly, diverse work environment. There are several generations of U of T grads that come back to the University to work. U of T has been on the Top 100 Employer's List for countless years which exemplifies its commitment to its employees. I feel very fortunate to work for the University as it is a very stimulating environment with a wealth of knowledge and the benefit plans are very generous (great Pension Plan and health benefits). My children have also benefited from tax-free scholarships and I have also studied at this wonderful institution. I could not imagine working anywhere else!

July 2, 2013

One must also add that there are lots of very good people who are expremely competent at the UofT who are really out there to try to help people. But I will agree on the Union, the union reps and HR departments and their assistance programs are a bit of a smoke screen to secure their own positions, salaries and pensions. (Union and HR are immune from getting reorged). It's best stay a mile away from the union and HR and just deal with the right people.

Great learning place
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: collaboration with other peers.
As a graduate student, I had an awesome opportunity to work as a research assistant and I enjoyed every minute of it!
The professors were great and very supportive. I worked for 8-9 months for my research in addition to my course work and I had a fantastic time!
Love to provide help and serve students
President (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 17, 2013
Pros: enjoy what you do
Cons: salary
love to provide help, serve students and hosting events. Very friendly staff
Its a nice and fun envoirement to work in.
Network Survey Assistant (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONFebruary 3, 2013
Its is a good place to work. The benefits are great, for example if you are an employee at UofT then and further education from UofT is compensated. I enjoyed working there.

About University of Toronto

The University of Toronto (U of T, UToronto, or simply Toronto) is a public research university in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, situated – Read more