University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews in Canada

Its a nice and fun envoirement to work in.
Network Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 3, 2013
Its is a good place to work. The benefits are great, for example if you are an employee at UofT then and further education from UofT is compensated. I enjoyed working there.
Good opportunity to develop intrapersonal skills
Basketball League Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2015
Gave me the opportunity to see development in terms of self growth. Learnt to deal with several scenarios that helped me develop my skills in dealing with clients. Helped me understand the concepts of time management and managing peers.
essentially a part time job
Ue-yu Pen, Graduate student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 17, 2015
I did a work study program at the University of Toronto twice, Once during the summer and once during my fourth year. The way the program works is students can work with graduate students and professors but only for 12 hours a week, it is similiar to a part time job, and the experience will depend on each department and the employer. The Graduate students that I worked with are all very helpful and easy to talk to.
Love to provide help and serve students
President (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 17, 2013
love to provide help, serve students and hosting events. Very friendly staff
Pros
enjoy what you do
Cons
salary
Challenging
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 9, 2015
This was one of the best jobs I've ever had and also one of the most challenging. I was responsible for a staff of security officers and together we made it our mission to provide a safe and comfortable environment for the students. I was even given a personal recommendation from the Dean of the university when I lead an investigation (resulting in the apprehension and arrest) of an individual who was stalking and assaulting female students. This is without a doubt the my greatest achievement during my time as a security officer.
Great place for diversity
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 28, 2013
As a unionized employee, I have secure pay and good health benefits. It's a good place to work at.
Overll the most diverse company to work for.
Journeyman Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 25, 2015
When I started at the University I thought I knew all I needed to know to basically roll over the existing staffers. I very quickly came to the realization that although I had a good working knowledge of products I have worked on in the pass, my knowledge was quit limited and would have affect my performance but the group of guys I work with took me under their wings and teach me a whole new skill set. by far the top 5 company to work for.
Pros
diverse and versitile
Cons
limited as far as funds.
A great learning experience
Biomedical Engineer - Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 12, 2014
The day would start with a meeting with the fellow laboratory partners. Everyone would discuss about the challenges that they are facing in their research. Ideas will be suggested and critically analysed. Owing to the diverse scientific background, it was always great to see the different ways different scientist would approach some problems. After the meeting, I would proceed to my workplace and start developing different surfaces for cell culture. A single culture surface would take days or sometimes weeks to manufacture. Time management was essential to achieve a good yield.

The hardest part of the job was to be helpless while waiting for an equipment to be repaired. The best part of the job was to see the great results when an implemented idea works beautifully. As part of the job, I have developed new skills in microfabrication, cell culture and microscopy.
Pros
freedom to express originality and creativity
Cons
some materials would take too long to reach the workplace
A great place to learn and receive research experience
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 3, 2012
The rating for this company is based on a contract employment position and would be very different for a full time employee overall and especially in the categories that were marked lower in this assessment. A typical day at work:
9:00: Turn on tissue culture hood, and put media in water bath. Plan out the experiments of the day and prepare the samples needed

9:30: Perform lab activities if it is more efficient to do so in the morning. This includes Bradford assays, Western Blots, mini-preps, maxi-preps and running agarose gels.

12-1: Lunch

1:00: Transfer protein gels to PVDF, image agarose gels, determine DNA concentrations from mini-prep/maxi-prep

2:30: Perform tissue culture experiments including seeding or passing cells, changing media, infecting cells with virus, freezing cells, or harvesting virus

4:30: Record in the log book the activities of the day and clean up the bench. Check if anything needs to be autoclaved for the next day or if supplies need to be refilled

5:00: End of day. More often than not the day would go longer because of experiments taking longer to 6:30

It was a very good experience working here and I learned many new techniques as stated above including western blotting, tissue culture work and several molecular biology techniques such as site directed mutagenesis. I also learned about the alternative splicing of HIV-1 that is required for its proliferation as that was the focus of the lab I was in.

The management was good and they had recently made a break room space for the floor I was working on including a big screen TV, couches and a lunch
  more... room area with a fridge, microwave, toaster and dishwasher. With the occasional coffee and cookies session and monthly floor parties it was an enjoyable aspect of working at U of T.

My coworkers were very helpful during my time directing me to wherever I needed to go and showing me how to perform the various techniques required to do my experiments. Most of my coworkers were also closer to my age and so we shared a lot of common interests, but in general the people working on my floor were very courteous and helpful and contributed to the positive experience I had here.

The hardest part of the job was having to deal with experiments not working for various different reasons and trying to be patient and realizing that in research not everything is going to work right away. However it was also interesting to try and solve those problems by troubleshooting.

The most enjoyable part of the job was simply learning all the different techniques involved in the research process and seeing the results from your experiments. Whether the results were promising or if the experiment did not give the expected results it was good to try and learn from my mistakes and try new things. And it was especially enjoyable when experiments worked, and particularly if they were something difficult or something that had taken time to get a successful result
Pros
good experience, interesting experiments, learning new techniques and using new machines
Cons
low salary, no job security
UX Designer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 1, 2015
Good job security. At times, the variety and range of projects can be minor. Great work and life balance. Great co-workers.
Highly productive and great place to work at
Part Time Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2015
It is a great place to work. Highly intellectual people to work with. Provide endless opportunities to grow and learn. It has great work culture too.
Challenging and rewarding learning opportunity
Stage Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 2, 2014
Working as a stage manager for the Leigha Lee Browne Theatre at the University of Toronto - Scarborough Campus, I worked frequently between and after my classes there. I learned how to manage a variety of different goals and expectations from a number of sources while still maintaining my own integrity and values. I expanded and grew upon my skills in managing a large team of over 20 peers working in the production. Part of my job was often to act as a medium between upper-level employees in leadership positions and actors in less artistically decisive positions. The hardest part of this work was to organize a multitude of schedules in a way that worked collectively for the entire group. I would say the most enjoyable part of this work was growing as a team that worked to pursue the same goals for themselves and each other.
Pros
teamwork opportunities and rewarding experiences
Cons
long hours and often unfair pay rates
fun and easy job
Building Caretaker/Custodian (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2015
i have learned a lot of things by working at this place. i learned to be 100% detailed oriented. management, i would say it's average and my co-workers are working well with others. the hardest part of the job is when they put all the duties to me but still trying my best to meet their expectations. the most enjoyable part of the job is when i take my breaks.
Expect sabotage and deception.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2014
A typical day at work: you work on your own or in a group that generally comprises people with a similar background.
What you learned: People have no principles and will do whatever it takes to get ahead and generally try to crush anyone they can to get ahead.
Management: Professors get away with anything.
Your co-workers: Will use you, and deceive you if it helps them get ahead unless you are of the same background as them.
The hardest part of the job: Avoiding mal intent.
The most enjoyable part of the job: accomplishing assignments or courses or publishing research.
Pros
well recognized university
Cons
cut-throat environment.
A good place to work
Technical Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 5, 2015
It was nice to work for U of T while completing my studies. I enjoyed the opportunity to make money while completing my degree.
Great on the job learning and mentoring others
Teaching Assistant Accounting (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 18, 2014
During office hours, I assisted students in understanding the accounting material by providing various methods of solving problems. I effectively graded assignments and exams within the allotted time proving for great time management. I learned how to approach a variety of students with different learning style and change my method of teaching to suit them, My coworkers were very respectable and fun to be around. The hardest part of the job was to see the students struggle but it made it more enjoyable when I helped them understand the material.
Pros
communication with professors
Exciting and challenging workplace with interactive technology
Student Recruitment Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2014
The Office of Student Recruitment is an exciting and challenging environment. I am responsible for the day-to-day functions of the office, such as opening and closing, processing mail, scheduling special campus tours, and booking tour guides. I answer a variety of questions about the University via email, phone, and in person. The hardest part of the job can be the sheer number of inquiries per day; however, that is also one of the most enjoyable aspects. It is always exciting to see prospective students and visitors be interested in the University.
Challenging but ultimately rewarding place to learn and work.
University of Toronto Fellow (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 31, 2014
Being a researcher at the University of Toronto can be quite challenging, but ultimately the skills I've learned throughout my time there have made me into a skilled professional capable of tackling a variety of tasks.
Cons
Superb culture with constant professional development.
Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 26, 2015
My supervisor was always there to assist me with professional development and advice. Furthermore, the courses taught were very well organized and interactive for students.
Research & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Work hard, study hard. Depending on your supervisor, amount of the work varies.

4.4