University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews in Canada

Relatively less intense
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2016
You spend around three hours to prepare for every lab and another three to supervise 16 students to finish it and another three to mark all the lab reports.
A workplace that has nice co-workers
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 12, 2013
A typical day at work would include cleaning washrooms, emptying out garbage bins , cleaning offices , vacuuming , wiping down tables. I have learned in the 9 years I have been at the University that unfortunately some management that work there treat their employees like they are uneducated and beneath them. I believe that management should be boosting their workers morale instead of crushing it. The hardest part of my job would have to be the hours, I work Sun-Thurs from 11:00pm-7:30am so it's tough to have a normal life. I would much rather prefer morning shifts then nights shifts. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and getting to hear all their stories and past experiences in life.
Pros
union, benefits, job security, hourly wage
Cons
night shift hours
Excellent school for professional development
MASTER STUDENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Excellent school for professional development, friendly professors and helpful staff. Clean and professional environment.
Productive, Upbeat
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
Productive and up beat environment. Allows time for work to be done efficiently and independently. Management is supportive.
UofT is very research based, educational and diverse
LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 18, 2015
In my opinion University of Toronto at Mississauga is a very friendly, vibrant, dynamic and educational environment both for students and employees.
During the time I worked at University of Toronto I set up the Neuropsychology research lab with the guidance of our professor from scratch, kept everything organized and ordered equipment. Also I assisted conducting research on Rat's Brains and their life style and took notes along with our students and recorded results.
Pros
If you love research this is the place to be
Cons
Many Long hours Spending in the basement with no natural light
high reputation institution
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2016
It is an honour to study in University of Toronto, it would be my life time experience wherever I go. Over all rating excellent
Professional environment for advanced learning
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2015
Great experience to teach talented students. Topics to be taught are advanced and challenging, at the same time the TAs culture is helpful in terms of assisting each other towards best teaching the students.
undergraduate students
finance student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 1, 2016
I did a lot of group assignments and presentations
I know how to use excel and other investment tools such as Factset.
I know how to do financial analysis such as technical and fundamental analysis.
Pros
learned a lot of stuff
Cons
not as practical
Active way to express leadership
FROSH WEEK LEADER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 17, 2016
Helping out with Frosh Week includes discussing topics of equity with the new students, as well as introducing the campus to them through very active and very fun games.
Great Staff!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2015
- great culture to learn and grow
- Great team to be working with
- Provides continuous opportunities
- Gives employees empowerment ability
Good Orgnaization
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2015
CAM-H, is a well organized institution to work for. Everything runs smoothly, and everything is done well. There is no doubt that this is the leader in mental health research and treatment in Canada. The security and location are ideal as well.
engaging and lots of learning at UofT
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 14, 2015
I code using the program language R, and I get help from my co-workers if I have no other solutions. I learned a lot during this job, and still am.
fun and lively
teaching assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 24, 2015
I thoroughly enjoy engaging and teaching students using real-life and relevant examples. My coworkers are supportive. The hardest but the most rewarding part is seeing that "aha" moment when students understand course material.
A great learning experience
Biomedical Engineer - Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 12, 2014
The day would start with a meeting with the fellow laboratory partners. Everyone would discuss about the challenges that they are facing in their research. Ideas will be suggested and critically analysed. Owing to the diverse scientific background, it was always great to see the different ways different scientist would approach some problems. After the meeting, I would proceed to my workplace and start developing different surfaces for cell culture. A single culture surface would take days or sometimes weeks to manufacture. Time management was essential to achieve a good yield.

The hardest part of the job was to be helpless while waiting for an equipment to be repaired. The best part of the job was to see the great results when an implemented idea works beautifully. As part of the job, I have developed new skills in microfabrication, cell culture and microscopy.
Pros
freedom to express originality and creativity
Cons
some materials would take too long to reach the workplace
I worked with student volunteers and enjoyed my time doing volunteer work
Income Tax Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2015
The working environment is friendly and supportive. I enjoyed working with teams and provide free services to University students.
Expect sabotage and deception.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2014
A typical day at work: you work on your own or in a group that generally comprises people with a similar background.
What you learned: People have no principles and will do whatever it takes to get ahead and generally try to crush anyone they can to get ahead.
Management: Professors get away with anything.
Your co-workers: Will use you, and deceive you if it helps them get ahead unless you are of the same background as them.
The hardest part of the job: Avoiding mal intent.
The most enjoyable part of the job: accomplishing assignments or courses or publishing research.
Pros
well recognized university
Cons
cut-throat environment.
Great unionized job
Research Technician II, Sidhu Lab (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 19, 2014
Salary and benefits were great for a university research job. Slightly unorganized culture, and job security was dependent on funding which could be sketchy at times.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
unorganized
As an instructor I am provided all the support I need
Part-Time Professor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONNovember 2, 2015
I work once a week at the Scarborough Campus.
I enjoy these assignments.
I enjoy the interaction with students.
Class support for technical aspects is good
Amazing Learning environment
Project Manager/Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 6, 2015
Professors and Assistant professors really focus on your growth and motivate you constantly.

Great academic environment.
productive
Bio-tech (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 16, 2015
productive, fun place, clean environment. Not all about the number but how you personally grow and develop. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside with colleagues and learning from them.

4.4