University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Volunteer- no real paid job review.
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 July 2016
Volunteer- no paid job review. Being a volunteer creates a lot of experience but a lot of work with no real end product besides experience.
Productive environment.
Communication and Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 July 2016
One of the best places I've worked at. Productive environment. Great boss. High turnover because of constant higher ups change.
Great learning opportunity
Finance Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
I spent 8 hours per week in the Finance Lab. Besides making sure the rules in the lab were followed, I spent most of the time learning about various equity research tools, e.g. Bloomburg, Capital IQ. Also, I was assigned financial modeling projects by the librarian, from which I gained valuable experience. The hourly pay was not high, but this is a great opportunity to learn more about the finance and investment industry.
Great people to work with and a lot of things to learn
Finance Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
I worked as a Financial Lab Assistant at U of T when I was a student there. I spent 8 hours per week in the lab; besides making sure the rules in the lab were followed, I spent most of the time learning about Bloomburg, Capital IQ and other equity research tools. Also, I was assigned financial modeling projects by the Finance Lab Librarian, from which I gained valuable experience. The salary of this position is not high, but I learnt a lot from it.
Research centered environment with lots of talented colleagues
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
U of T graduate students are some of the best in the world. Colleagues there are passionate about their fields, making it easy to draw inspiration.
Friendly working environment with informative training.
Research Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
Major tasks included conducting laboratory work, maintaining tools and equipment, and analyzing experimental results. Tasks were assigned by the supervisor. However, how you carry them out were in your hands; you were expected to have strong time management skills. The students and workers at the laboratory were friendly.
Great learning experience
TEAM PROJECT ENGINEERING STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2016
This a team project course given to first year engineering students at the university of Toronto. It was a great experience working with my fellow colleagues to accomplish a task given to us by our client. I learned many team-related things such as managing team conflict.
Pros
Team members
Fine work place
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2016
Good pay. Reasonable amount of work. Good professors. Good students and fellow TA's to work with. Great working environment overall.
Active place to work
Program Analyst & Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto & St. Catharine's26 June 2016
It was very active and a place to do the work effectively and happily. The work was heavy and long, but it was interesting and did not feel the time passing. The staff was helpful and supportive.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
AccessAbility Services UTSC is a workplace to avoid but other U of T areas are better
Assistant and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON25 June 2016
Working at AccessAbility was about constantly walking on eggshells because you never knew when something would trigger the directors' insecurities. It was difficult to ask for support because directors would rudely interrupt employees as they are speaking and say NO or reply with some sort of defensive answer. Although they require good experience and qualifications when hiring, they are not actually interested in having you use that expertise because they themselves get easily defensive at that. AccessAbility Services has a leadership with poor communication abilities and high insecurities. Best to pick another department.
Pros
Friendly students, U of T has good reputation
Cons
poor leadership, poor communication, insecurities in leadership
Intensive but an enlightening place to work.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 June 2016
A typical day would consist of running participants with the current study in the lab or completing daily lab tasks scheduled on a computer. I learned a lot about recording, organizing and analyzing data and ethics about interacting with participants. Sometimes instructions for completing lab tasks were vague or confusing which could be frustrating at times. The most enjoyable part of the position was being able to interact with participants and engaging in meaning conversation with other lab assistants and managers about research in social/personality psychology.
Requires punctuality
Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 June 2016
Consistently must be in class in order to take proper notes. After notes have been taken and edited they must be uploaded to the Accessibility website of the school so students can access them immediately after a lecture. Superiors were able to be accessed easily through email for any questions I had. Hardest part was ensuring everything was organized and edited properly so there would be no trouble for the other students.
very good
Research Assistant/GIS Analyst Programmer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2016
Teaching and research work is very good. All professors and colleagues are very cooperative. Teaching and research is very enjoyable part in my career.
colleagues are very easy going.
Electrical Engineering Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2016
I collaborated with a group of Ph.D candidates, professional engineers and professors under department of electrical and computer engineering. I obtained professional skills on PCB design by Altium, chip design by Cadence and advanced circuit and chip testing techniques.
Relaxed workplace with minimal supervision allows work to progress and be completed
Information Systems Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2016
typical workday involves continued development of projects currently assigned, over the course of the internship four projects were worked on and completed.
Pros
freedom to work on own pace/relaxed environment with minimal supervision
Cons
confusing chain of command, too many people giving instructions
Volunteer Position
Judge Panel Member (Volunteer Position) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2016
Really enhanced my analytical skills. The tribunal operates and deliberates on academic offenses identically to the way a court would, and requires lawyers to proceed with the cases that we deal with. a student panel member has the chance to act a as jury and voice their opinions with esteemed professionals.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
varied hours
The project offerent a whole new perspective
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2016
Working in a multidisciplinary team entails developing perspectives about how disciplines other than our own functions. It was useful to know what strengths can each team member contribute as well as where his/her weakness lies.
Challenging and rewarding
Language Facilitator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 June 2016
I learned how to work in a University setting, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Overall it was a very rewarding place to work.
Good Position
Computer Science Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 June 2016
It was such an amazing experience and joy for working with UofT. you would definitely love to volunteer for University of Toronto Computer Science department.
My second home
Health and Safety Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 June 2016
Every day here is an exciting day and reminds me of how well this department operates to provide valuable training to the University of Toronto.

Every individual working here is incredibly brilliant and brings different perspective to the table. This team has such passion for health and safety and it's incredibly motivating.

4.4