University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Friendly working environment with informative training.
Research Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
Major tasks included conducting laboratory work, maintaining tools and equipment, and analyzing experimental results. Tasks were assigned by the supervisor. However, how you carry them out were in your hands; you were expected to have strong time management skills. The students and workers at the laboratory were friendly.
Intensive but an enlightening place to work.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 June 2016
A typical day would consist of running participants with the current study in the lab or completing daily lab tasks scheduled on a computer. I learned a lot about recording, organizing and analyzing data and ethics about interacting with participants. Sometimes instructions for completing lab tasks were vague or confusing which could be frustrating at times. The most enjoyable part of the position was being able to interact with participants and engaging in meaning conversation with other lab assistants and managers about research in social/personality psychology.
A very supportive inclusive team
Associate Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 November 2016
I am completing my Co-op Term as the HR Associate Coordinator at University of Toronto Scarborough Campus. I help students with their job applications and interviews in one on one appointments. The Student Development Team is very supportive. IT's a fast paced High involvement environment where every employee's opinion and input is encouraged and appreciated.
Overall experience
SCHOOL CARETAKER (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 November 2016
I enjoy the people that I worked with. The people were very helpful and productive with their assigned tasks. On a typical day I would clean the washrooms and collect the garbage for the entire school. I enjoyed working alone because I am someone who takes initiative and well timely managed.
Pros
Starting time
Cons
Finished very late at night
Great place to start off
Network/Security Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2016
Friendly co-workers, room to learn and improve, lots of projects to get involved in but slow-paced and lacked urgency for entry level workers. No gatherings such as christmas parties etc.
Pros
Opportunity to learn alot with smart people
Cons
lack of work culture which encourages team building
Grading exams and assignments
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2016
- Conducted weekly office hours for students to resolve their problems and develop their critical thinking
- Graded over 2000 exam papers effectively with strong attention to details

- Collaborated with fellow TAs to complete various tasks, such as administration, developing case marking keys and grading assignments and exams
Great environment
Research Assistant, Assistant Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2016
The lab for me was a test run to see how I would function in a field that I was not completely familiar with, and it proved that I can learn anything that I set my mind to. It was an amazing environment to work in, and there were infinite learning opportunities available.
Dynamic career learning environment.
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2015
Dynamic education environment to work in. A typical day at work included benefits administration for Non-Unionized and Unionized staff and general office administration coordination. A great place to utilize my strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Pros
Working with knowledgeable staff.
Cons
Long communte.
Great learning opportunity
Finance Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
I spent 8 hours per week in the Finance Lab. Besides making sure the rules in the lab were followed, I spent most of the time learning about various equity research tools, e.g. Bloomburg, Capital IQ. Also, I was assigned financial modeling projects by the librarian, from which I gained valuable experience. The hourly pay was not high, but this is a great opportunity to learn more about the finance and investment industry.
Fun learning experience
student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2016
Featherstone Music
After school I would teach kids between the ages of 4-12 piano from half an hour to an hour. I learned how to cater to students individual learning styles and how to manage time between teaching songs and working/developing students technical skills. The hardest part of the job was to determine when to challenge the student more or when to stay on a particular piece/skill and develop it. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the student progress with every piece and seeing him/her realize he/she made a mistake and fixed it.

Hospital for Sick Children
I would get NF1 cells from the incubator and look at the effects of lithium on these cells. I learned valuable research skills such as cell culture and keeping a neat lab notebook. I learned how to manage my time between different aspects of the experiment in order for optimal use of time in the lab. My mentors would teach me lab skills such as western blot and cell culture. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting results whether they were expected or not expected and being taught how to analyze and interpret data
Pros
experience!
Cons
Hours would be after a long day of class
Good Employer
Marketing, Executive Degree Programs (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2016
University of Toronto has been ranked in Canada's Top Employer rankings for many years and I would say it's deserved. But there are hundreds of different departments within and where you work makes a ton of difference
Requires punctuality
Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 June 2016
Consistently must be in class in order to take proper notes. After notes have been taken and edited they must be uploaded to the Accessibility website of the school so students can access them immediately after a lecture. Superiors were able to be accessed easily through email for any questions I had. Hardest part was ensuring everything was organized and edited properly so there would be no trouble for the other students.
Very intense
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2016
Surrounded by interesting ideas and personalities, very scientifically engaging. Can also be stressful at times because of the deadlines. But overall an intellectually-stimulating environment
Best place ever!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 October 2016
it's just awesome. It feels amazing to be part of the alumni and still be able to feel engaged. I enjoyed teaching to my fellow classmates and it was easy for me to book rooms in the library with perfect system that our university offers.
Intellectually regirous and enlightning
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2016
working hours were flexible and I could work from anywhere. It was basically researching literature and developing a work plan. I am part of developing a research manual for the community based researcher. It has been a great learning experience working with the professor who is the lead researcher for a SSHRC funded project. It is too much based on computer but most fun thing about working on this project is it intellectually empowering.
Pros
flexisble and fun
Cons
too table/computer based
Creative Thinking Work Environment
Front End Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2016
Everyday was a different and amazing. I acknowledged a lot from my senior developers and colleagues. I become even better at coding and learnt how to work as a team.
Great extrinsic rewards, somewhat superficial environment.
HR/Benefits (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Ont.18 August 2015
It is hard to be specific. Each department is different; some better then others. It is hard to move from one department to the other with most hiring being external. The size of the organization make it somewhat impersonal. A lot of time and money are spent on outward appearances, relying on past glories, of which there were many.
Pros
Good salary, great vaction entitlement
Cons
Run like a business, not an educational institution.
Tensive but beneficial
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2016
The study in University of Toronto was full of challenges. However, it was also exciting with suprises. University of Toronto provides a lot of resources which are very help for future career build-up but it is up to you to discover these resources and services
It is my master project
Research Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 May 2016
I am appreciated to study under my supervisor in University of Toronto and co-supervisor in Toronto General Hospital. I strengthen my project management skill and time management skill. My colleagues are professional and helpful. It is a great opportunities to meet everyone.
Productive workplace
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 October 2016
Excellent workplace, knowledgeable staff, good communication, a lot of expertise and hard working personnel, together with friendly and fun atmosphere in the workplace.

4.4