University of Toronto Employee Reviews

University of Toronto is a great place to work
Receptionist and Outreach, Physics (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2015
I have thoroughly enjoyed working at the University, at both the St. George Campus and the Mississauga Campus.

All jobs have been challenging, and enjoyable. Most recently, the Physics Department has been the best experience. The people I worked with were the best. I had the opportunity to learn new systems - key database. The management was great, always approachable. Attending courses and seminars was always encouraged.
Pros
Learning opportunities, culture diversity of location, benefits and salary were comparable.
Cons
Distance to work lately, since the move to Milton.
Great place to start off
Network/Security Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2016
Friendly co-workers, room to learn and improve, lots of projects to get involved in but slow-paced and lacked urgency for entry level workers. No gatherings such as christmas parties etc.
Pros
Opportunity to learn alot with smart people
Cons
lack of work culture which encourages team building
Always Contract
Back End Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2016
No hope of being regular. Strict working hours. Must come in at 8:45am and be gone by 5:00pm. If late, they don't want you to work extra to cover the time that you missed. Have employees here that are still only under contract even after working for so long. A manager was fired even after 10+ years just because he disagreed with the manager.
Friendly and fun
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 October 2016
There's always something to keep you happy on Mississauga campus.
If we decided to stay after hours during winter, we still got to sit in the library and focus on our studies.
The hardest part was finding good food on campus for the first 2 years, but with the new food court which was opened in Davis Building, we had more options to choose from.
I got to work with students with different learning abilities and I had to switch my approach for every one of them. I also had to learn how to balance my own studies to remain an A student and help others as well
Amazing job, awesome people, management was incredible.
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2016
I loved my time working at various libraries at UofT. I would go back in a second if I could. All three bosses I worked under were incredibly accessible and easy going, truly amazing people. Library patrons were always friendly and I never worked with anyone who wasn't a delight. The work itself was never overwhelming and I enjoyed every second working there.
Pros
Friendly and passionate bosses, friendly clientele, great job all around.
Chill advisors
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
Worked in conjunction with the OPP and a mining company and it was a great experience. I got to travel while on the job, do some things outside my comfort zone and offer some solutions that made an impact. I appreciate that my advisor was willing to take ideas from everyone and consider them equally. I enjoyed my time there.
Friendly working environment with informative training.
Research Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
Major tasks included conducting laboratory work, maintaining tools and equipment, and analyzing experimental results. Tasks were assigned by the supervisor. However, how you carry them out were in your hands; you were expected to have strong time management skills. The students and workers at the laboratory were friendly.
My Volunteer Lecturer Experience at Univ of Toronto
Volunteer Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2016
I have volunteered as a Lecturer at University of Toronto for the past 9 years by delivering two 2-hour lectures, designing and checking answer sheets for about 30 graduate level students. I found my experience and mentorship offered to me at Univ of Toronto to be excellent. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
A very supportive inclusive team
Associate Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 November 2016
I am completing my Co-op Term as the HR Associate Coordinator at University of Toronto Scarborough Campus. I help students with their job applications and interviews in one on one appointments. The Student Development Team is very supportive. IT's a fast paced High involvement environment where every employee's opinion and input is encouraged and appreciated.
Grading exams and assignments
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2016
- Conducted weekly office hours for students to resolve their problems and develop their critical thinking
- Graded over 2000 exam papers effectively with strong attention to details

- Collaborated with fellow TAs to complete various tasks, such as administration, developing case marking keys and grading assignments and exams
Very good but very boring work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  UofT17 January 2017
Very nice place to work on your own research since there are many other researchers working on new ideas every day. Aside from that, the entire process of my research was data analytics which I am not very interested in and therefore it was very boring and tiring job to do.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Boring task
Fun group of guys
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 February 2017
Pretty good group, student ran environment, very chill about everything, tends to be too chill sometimes. bureaucracy is somewhat messed up and confused at times. the entire performance really swings a lot depending on who is president that year
Pros
good exposure to world events
Cons
very sloppy chain of command
Great learning experience
TEAM PROJECT ENGINEERING STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2016
This a team project course given to first year engineering students at the university of Toronto. It was a great experience working with my fellow colleagues to accomplish a task given to us by our client. I learned many team-related things such as managing team conflict.
Pros
Team members
Cons
AccessAbility Services UTSC is a workplace to avoid but other U of T areas are better
Assistant and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON25 June 2016
Working at AccessAbility was about constantly walking on eggshells because you never knew when something would trigger the directors' insecurities. It was difficult to ask for support because directors would rudely interrupt employees as they are speaking and say NO or reply with some sort of defensive answer. Although they require good experience and qualifications when hiring, they are not actually interested in having you use that expertise because they themselves get easily defensive at that. AccessAbility Services has a leadership with poor communication abilities and high insecurities. Best to pick another department.
Pros
Friendly students, U of T has good reputation
Cons
poor leadership, poor communication, insecurities in leadership
Great autonomy and trust. Very easy to work with.
Communications Consultant - Faculty of Medicine (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
This is a contract role, so I spend most of my time from my home office. I do like the organization though and would work for them full time, if the opportunity were presented.
Pros
Trust
Cons
Long approval process
Overall experience
SCHOOL CARETAKER (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 November 2016
I enjoy the people that I worked with. The people were very helpful and productive with their assigned tasks. On a typical day I would clean the washrooms and collect the garbage for the entire school. I enjoyed working alone because I am someone who takes initiative and well timely managed.
Pros
Starting time
Cons
Finished very late at night
Fun learning experience
student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2016
Featherstone Music
After school I would teach kids between the ages of 4-12 piano from half an hour to an hour. I learned how to cater to students individual learning styles and how to manage time between teaching songs and working/developing students technical skills. The hardest part of the job was to determine when to challenge the student more or when to stay on a particular piece/skill and develop it. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the student progress with every piece and seeing him/her realize he/she made a mistake and fixed it.

Hospital for Sick Children
I would get NF1 cells from the incubator and look at the effects of lithium on these cells. I learned valuable research skills such as cell culture and keeping a neat lab notebook. I learned how to manage my time between different aspects of the experiment in order for optimal use of time in the lab. My mentors would teach me lab skills such as western blot and cell culture. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting results whether they were expected or not expected and being taught how to analyze and interpret data
Pros
experience!
Cons
Hours would be after a long day of class
Great environment
Research Assistant, Assistant Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2016
The lab for me was a test run to see how I would function in a field that I was not completely familiar with, and it proved that I can learn anything that I set my mind to. It was an amazing environment to work in, and there were infinite learning opportunities available.
Smart
Veterinary Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 December 2016
Smart minds together. Good group of people. Lots of chances to learn. Atmosphere was supportive. Still keep in contact with many people as its a small but supportive community.
Teaching experience
Teaching Assistant for MIE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 February 2017
Teaching undergrad and grad students about a topic that I care about is a wonderful experience in the university context. My supervisor helps me with the content and students are cooperating

4.4