University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Best place ever!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 October 2016
it's just awesome. It feels amazing to be part of the alumni and still be able to feel engaged. I enjoyed teaching to my fellow classmates and it was easy for me to book rooms in the library with perfect system that our university offers.
Friendly and fun
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 October 2016
There's always something to keep you happy on Mississauga campus.
If we decided to stay after hours during winter, we still got to sit in the library and focus on our studies.
The hardest part was finding good food on campus for the first 2 years, but with the new food court which was opened in Davis Building, we had more options to choose from.
I got to work with students with different learning abilities and I had to switch my approach for every one of them. I also had to learn how to balance my own studies to remain an A student and help others as well
Amazing anti bias pluralistic place to work
Sessional Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2016
University of Toronto was the best place to work. The staff and management uphold the highest standards of equity and fair practice all the time and they advocate for people with disabilities. I strongly recommend them as a model environment for work and studying.
Pros
Open pluralistic
Great environment
Research Assistant, Assistant Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2016
The lab for me was a test run to see how I would function in a field that I was not completely familiar with, and it proved that I can learn anything that I set my mind to. It was an amazing environment to work in, and there were infinite learning opportunities available.
Friendly and great training
Admissions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
A typical day at work was communication heavy with students. I mostly coordinated exams and assisted in the office with various administration tasks such as filing, grading, writing course outlines. I learned how to give appropriate responses to inquiries and improve student relations within the school. The management was very organized and prepared. My co-workers were friendly and was very engaged in my training. The hardest part of the job was the organization of the coordination of over 2,000 domestic and international exams. The most enjoyable part of the job was the work/life balance.
Pros
summer hours
Cons
outdated cubical work stations
A place full of talented and amazing people
Volunteer / Research Opportunity Program student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
• Conducted tests and interviews, analyzed and entered data, and transcribed and translated interviews for several ongoing psychology studies in the Applied Psychology Department.
• Assisted in running Friendship Across Cultures intervention program. Responsible for running discussion and activity sections on acculturation each week at a local school.
• Together with a partner, conducted a research on friendship analysis on Canadian students and international students.
Great job, intelligent, and friendly students and staff
Accessibility Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2016
A typical day at work was transporting handicapped and injured students in and around the campus.
I learned how to communicate more effectively, be on time, and be flexible.
The management was competent and good to me
The co-workers were helpful, hardworking, and competent
The hardest part of the job was when I couldn't pick students at the specified time, the vehicle was malfunctioning or bad weather.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with students and driving.
Pros
Great working conditions
Cons
Malfunctioning vehicle, bad weather, unable to meet time objectives
Hard Work but very Satisfying
Co-President, Pakistan Development Fund (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
The Pakistan Development Fund is an intensive teamwork centric environment within UofT. The people were a great support and everyone was willing to go out of their way to ensure that events ran smoothly. It was an intense job that involved long hours and commitment, but it was worth it with the high turn out and returns.
Pros
event skills, team
Cons
long hours, commitment after school work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
Conduct tutorials, assisted course instructor to deliver course materials as well as address student questions/concerns regarding the course while enhancing student learnings
intersting work place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 September 2016
The most enjoyable part in the work is that my students improve a lot on their grades. Before I teach them , the average is 55. After that , the grades increased to 65.
Pros
very close
Cons
short hours
Very intense
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2016
Surrounded by interesting ideas and personalities, very scientifically engaging. Can also be stressful at times because of the deadlines. But overall an intellectually-stimulating environment
intership
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2016
I just did my internship there for 1 week for my college, I love that place i learned a lot and really loved working with children
Easy going and great management
Key Holder and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2016
Rexall has great advancement and offers great health benefits to their employees. Rexall has a lot of core values that they implement on their staff and they have high expectations for how we treat customers. Customer service is number one and it is our responsibility to go above and beyond for our loyal customers. Management is fair and easy to deal with. Rexall also provides health insurance to their employees and has a wonderful Union.

The University of Toronto was a great place to work at. I learned a lot about job culture and what it's like to deal with colleagues who have worked there way up the latter.
Pros
Great Discounts
Cons
Long Hours
great place to be
Academic Presentations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2016
Statistics Canada is a great place to work at. Salary is awesome. Ability to learn and acquire new skills. Management is approachable and very helpful.
Challenging work
Summer Research Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2016
A typical day involved finding a module written in C, and making it programmable using a block with appropriate UI.

I had no co-workers and very little guidance.
Pros
Not micromanaged
Cons
no coworkers
Engaging and fun
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2016
The role of a practical leader consisted of solving weekly problem sets, quizzes, and mark lab notebooks.
As a leader, I learned time management skills and explored different ways of addressing a large group.
The most enjoyable aspect is to help students understand complex concepts by breaking down problems into smaller simple ones.
Review of every day
Manager of Caretaking and Stores Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2016
They are a Top 100 Employer , I thought the University would be organized a little better! Management does not back the Supervisor, most people are afraid every day about loosing their job, unless they are in the Union.
Pros
Short day, lots of Vacation, good Benifits
Cons
No overtime, No security
Always Contract
Back End Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2016
No hope of being regular. Strict working hours. Must come in at 8:45am and be gone by 5:00pm. If late, they don't want you to work extra to cover the time that you missed. Have employees here that are still only under contract even after working for so long. A manager was fired even after 10+ years just because he disagreed with the manager.
Great place to start off
Network/Security Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2016
Friendly co-workers, room to learn and improve, lots of projects to get involved in but slow-paced and lacked urgency for entry level workers. No gatherings such as christmas parties etc.
Pros
Opportunity to learn alot with smart people
Cons
lack of work culture which encourages team building
Material Engineering Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2016
The 9-5 typical hours. Learned alot of materials by reading research papers from the prof. However, the organization of the whole research project could use some improvement; there was no clear steps to the final goal of the research.

4.4