University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews in Canada

Tensive but beneficial
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 22, 2016
The study in University of Toronto was full of challenges. However, it was also exciting with suprises. University of Toronto provides a lot of resources which are very help for future career build-up but it is up to you to discover these resources and services
Intellectually regirous and enlightning
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 17, 2016
working hours were flexible and I could work from anywhere. It was basically researching literature and developing a work plan. I am part of developing a research manual for the community based researcher. It has been a great learning experience working with the professor who is the lead researcher for a SSHRC funded project. It is too much based on computer but most fun thing about working on this project is it intellectually empowering.
Pros
flexisble and fun
Cons
too table/computer based
Great place to work!
Sediment Geochemistry Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 14, 2016
A typical day involves lab work doing titration, and spectophotometric analysis of lake water. I have learned proper lab techniques such as titration, pipetting, spectophotometry, data collection.

Working in the lab is quite enjoyable and I love working here.
Interesting work, inadequate pay, good professional development
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 11, 2016
The joys and drawbacks of teaching are well-known. U of T as an employer is respectful and flexible, providing lots of support to both teachers and students. There is lots of competition for instructor jobs, so the salaries will never properly compensate you for the work you do. You take the job for the experience.
Fun learning experience
student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
Featherstone Music
After school I would teach kids between the ages of 4-12 piano from half an hour to an hour. I learned how to cater to students individual learning styles and how to manage time between teaching songs and working/developing students technical skills. The hardest part of the job was to determine when to challenge the student more or when to stay on a particular piece/skill and develop it. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the student progress with every piece and seeing him/her realize he/she made a mistake and fixed it.

Hospital for Sick Children
I would get NF1 cells from the incubator and look at the effects of lithium on these cells. I learned valuable research skills such as cell culture and keeping a neat lab notebook. I learned how to manage my time between different aspects of the experiment in order for optimal use of time in the lab. My mentors would teach me lab skills such as western blot and cell culture. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting results whether they were expected or not expected and being taught how to analyze and interpret data
Pros
experience!
Cons
Hours would be after a long day of class
Productive and fun environment
CSC108 Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 7, 2016
It's a very good salary for a fun work environment. UofT is definitely a place to consider for job opportunities.
I would say that it is difficult to get a job with the faculty but once you do, it's a very enjoyable experience.
Great place to learn and grow
TECHNICAL WRITER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 28, 2016
Was given the opportunity to volunteer my time working on research and document review. Worked alongside Ph.D. candidates and other bachelor volunteers on a textbook manuscript.
Graphic Designer, Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Downtown TorontoApril 26, 2016
Great place to work. Lots of nice hardworking people. Flexible hours (contract). Department was going through restructuring - this was a time of some uncertainty. Overall great experience.
Pros
Flexibility with working hours (contract).
Very academic environment, with opportunities for the right individual to shine.
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
I worked with a great team of Project Managers and co-workers, who were all very helpful. I learned the SAP system through courses and individual training, which is an additional asset.

This was my first exposure to a Public sector job, and I found the environment interesting, sometimes restrictive and somewhat stagnating, but looking back it was a good and secure place to be.
Pros
Pension plan
Cons
Job duties were not what I expected
Great work place environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 9, 2016
Got to have a great chance to work in a professional work place which also help me increase organizational skill but also help me understand which root to take in life.
Pros
good hours
Cons
temporary job
One of the best places for research and developing new ideas
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 8, 2016
I worked with very smart people and very good and helpful supervisor. I have learned very technical solution when I worked there. I improved my skills and updated my ability to get a new job.
Relatively less intense
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2016
You spend around three hours to prepare for every lab and another three to supervise 16 students to finish it and another three to mark all the lab reports.
good working envinroment
Events coordinator and usher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 4, 2016
Great staff and management. constantly changing work schedule depending on the events on the school calender. A very stable job to have..
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 28, 2016
A typical day would involve checking notebooks for the students, distributing their quizzes, explaining their tasks for the experiment
Pros
Experience
Cons
World class research and academic institute
Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 27, 2016
As my alma mater, University of Toronto provided me with the work ethics and a professional outlook on life that would make me a great fit to any company. The faculty performs world class research that generates high impact research papers in prestigious journals.
University of Toronto, Faculty of Law
Bookstore Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 10, 2016
The University of Toronto, Faculty of Law has been a pleasant and memorable workplace. The faculty is wonderful to work amongst. I've gained a tremendous amount of my office skills from working within different offices. I've been very thankful for the work experience and also the consideration of wonderful opportunities in different departments.
Pros
Staff Lunches, Faculty/Staff Parties
Hard working and ready to face new challenges
Stewardship Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 5, 2016
On a daily basis I had to edit lots of Bio's for the student for the financial reports.Most of the co-workers were very friendly and helpful.The hardest part of the job is to learn totally new student software within 2 days. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a wonderful manager who showed confidence in my work for a short period of time.
A typical day of work.
Graduate Studies Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 5, 2016
A typical day of work as a graduate assistant would be filing papers, doing spreadsheets and doing certain tasks to help out the assistant. I have learned how to improve my time management skills. The most enjoyable part of the job would be researching about a specific assignment that the assistant has assigned me to do.
ASBLab provided an interesting work environment to grow and practice initiative.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2016

I was put in charge of developing a face tracking algorithm for the Tangy robot. Tangy is a multi machine robot, where several nodes communicate with each other to accomplish a common goal.

I was able to use software and visual face recognition techniques to help Tangy identify people's faces. The software would then communicate with the motors actuating his neck to cause Tangy to maintain eye contact and follow people around.
Excellent school for professional development
MASTER STUDENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Excellent school for professional development, friendly professors and helpful staff. Clean and professional environment.

4.4