University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Worked there as a graduate student
Research Student (Ph.D) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2017
I was a graduate student at the University of Toronto in the Department of Chemistry. Facilities at the University are great and you have excellent access to scientific literature.
Pros
Excellent work/life balance
Cons
Lack of structure
Watershed assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 February 2017
great environment with lots to learn. Treated with equality and part of the team. Would recommend to anyone. Note it is a work study position for students in uoft
Teaching experience
Teaching Assistant for MIE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 February 2017
Teaching undergrad and grad students about a topic that I care about is a wonderful experience in the university context. My supervisor helps me with the content and students are cooperating
Good Place to work!
Consultant (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 February 2017
There is a lot of opportunity at UofT. the staff are great and work environment pleasant!

The students make the job very enjoyable!
Pros
Cons
Stress
Fun group of guys
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 February 2017
Pretty good group, student ran environment, very chill about everything, tends to be too chill sometimes. bureaucracy is somewhat messed up and confused at times. the entire performance really swings a lot depending on who is president that year
Pros
good exposure to world events
Cons
very sloppy chain of command
Customer service is important in this diverse enfironment
Records Assessor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2017
I found advancement difficult due to my age. However, I do possess a great deal of energy to perform any duty assigned. A typical day at work would consist of answering emails, working on student records, applying academic offences to student records. The Records Team, for the most part worked independently. Workplace culture is to be innovative and creative to make suggestions to improve work flow. The hardest part of the job is not enough student contact. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was congratulated for my initiative to improve work flow in our office.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Not enough student contact
Chill advisors
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
Worked in conjunction with the OPP and a mining company and it was a great experience. I got to travel while on the job, do some things outside my comfort zone and offer some solutions that made an impact. I appreciate that my advisor was willing to take ideas from everyone and consider them equally. I enjoyed my time there.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2017
• Conducting general repair throughout the hotel
• Carried out all repairs of building, such as painting, plumbing and electrical
• Checking rooms by the installation program Can Fix it
Great Job
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2017
The university of Toronto is a wonderful employer. Great opportunity to work at this University. I loved working in teams and would recommend others to apply for jobs at this University.
Pros
Great employees, positive environment
Cons
Prepare and conduct tutorial sessions
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2017
Direct interaction with students during tutorial sessions. Have to present examples and demonstrate concepts learned in the classroom. Administrating tests and marking.
Very good but very boring work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  UofT17 January 2017
Very nice place to work on your own research since there are many other researchers working on new ideas every day. Aside from that, the entire process of my research was data analytics which I am not very interested in and therefore it was very boring and tiring job to do.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Boring task
Great autonomy and trust. Very easy to work with.
Communications Consultant - Faculty of Medicine (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
This is a contract role, so I spend most of my time from my home office. I do like the organization though and would work for them full time, if the opportunity were presented.
Pros
Trust
Cons
Long approval process
A place to work and grow
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2017
Being a research assistant is one of the best opportunities I have had in my life. It gives me all the freedom to be expressive about my ideas, and execute them while ensuring I have the right guidance while going about it.
The teaching assistant position was a part time position I had taken up. It gave me a first-hand experience of being a teacher, and it was something I never imagined it to be like. The challenge was to understand the student's point of view, go back to a time when I never knew the concepts, and had to learn them for the first time.
Lots of hands on tasks.
Videographer/Video Editor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2017
Recorded lectures for select university courses.
Mastered professional audio/video equipment and software,
maintained a database for archived videos.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2017
Good place to work. Good employees and employer. Good building. Everything is good. Good good good. Almost near the minimum character limit...and it's done.
great working environmeny
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2017
Pros
Professors are nice and willing to help at anytime. I get practiced in explaining complicated ideas or concepts in an understandable way. The feeling worth more than the salary earned. UofT counts the working hour and pay the corresponding salaries in a very generous way.
Cons
It takes a lot of individual time to get ready for the tutorial. Students ask about easy questions repeatedly and teaching assistants have to explain again and again.
Computer Science Computing Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2017
It was a part time job. We would have a meeting every week. I was working 6 hours a week. Typical workday was sitting in front of the computer lab and waiting for the students to come and ask questions. I believe I improved my communication and troubleshooting skills. My coworkers were really nice people and we were helping each other if someone gets stuck on something. The hardest part of the job was to sacrifice time and go to work when you have a lot of stuff to study for. Other than that, all the parts were enjoyable.
Fun to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 January 2017
I enjoyed working there. A typical day at work would to call alumni to raise funds towards the campaigns the University would conduct seasonally. Campaigns could be towards infrastructure and services the University offers towards its current students. I learned how to talk on the phone on a professional manner and this skill has served me useful.
Positive and developmental role
Orientation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 December 2016
Was able to manage a team of executives + work closely with administration. Able to develop event planning and leadership skills. Was able to understand and deal with conflict resolution.
Good
Special Projects Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON22 December 2016
Loved working for University of Toronto. It was a great and welcoming atmosphere and taught me many things. My co-workers were the best. They made the job well worth it.

4.4