University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Easy going and great management
Key Holder and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2016
Rexall has great advancement and offers great health benefits to their employees. Rexall has a lot of core values that they implement on their staff and they have high expectations for how we treat customers. Customer service is number one and it is our responsibility to go above and beyond for our loyal customers. Management is fair and easy to deal with. Rexall also provides health insurance to their employees and has a wonderful Union.

The University of Toronto was a great place to work at. I learned a lot about job culture and what it's like to deal with colleagues who have worked there way up the latter.
Pros
Great Discounts
Cons
Long Hours
great working environmeny
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2017
Pros
Professors are nice and willing to help at anytime. I get practiced in explaining complicated ideas or concepts in an understandable way. The feeling worth more than the salary earned. UofT counts the working hour and pay the corresponding salaries in a very generous way.
Cons
It takes a lot of individual time to get ready for the tutorial. Students ask about easy questions repeatedly and teaching assistants have to explain again and again.
Fun to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 January 2017
I enjoyed working there. A typical day at work would to call alumni to raise funds towards the campaigns the University would conduct seasonally. Campaigns could be towards infrastructure and services the University offers towards its current students. I learned how to talk on the phone on a professional manner and this skill has served me useful.
UofT
Project Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2016
The University of Toronto is a wonderful, fast paced workplace. It can be a fantastic employer and has a lot of perks, further education, tuition coverage and great benefits.
Pros
Education
Cons
Lay offs
Review of every day
Manager of Caretaking and Stores Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2016
They are a Top 100 Employer , I thought the University would be organized a little better! Management does not back the Supervisor, most people are afraid every day about loosing their job, unless they are in the Union.
Pros
Short day, lots of Vacation, good Benifits
Cons
No overtime, No security
Customer service is important in this diverse enfironment
Records Assessor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2017
I found advancement difficult due to my age. However, I do possess a great deal of energy to perform any duty assigned. A typical day at work would consist of answering emails, working on student records, applying academic offences to student records. The Records Team, for the most part worked independently. Workplace culture is to be innovative and creative to make suggestions to improve work flow. The hardest part of the job is not enough student contact. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was congratulated for my initiative to improve work flow in our office.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Not enough student contact
Great people to work with and a lot of things to learn
Finance Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
I worked as a Financial Lab Assistant at U of T when I was a student there. I spent 8 hours per week in the lab; besides making sure the rules in the lab were followed, I spent most of the time learning about Bloomburg, Capital IQ and other equity research tools. Also, I was assigned financial modeling projects by the Finance Lab Librarian, from which I gained valuable experience. The salary of this position is not high, but I learnt a lot from it.
Friendly and great training
Admissions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
A typical day at work was communication heavy with students. I mostly coordinated exams and assisted in the office with various administration tasks such as filing, grading, writing course outlines. I learned how to give appropriate responses to inquiries and improve student relations within the school. The management was very organized and prepared. My co-workers were friendly and was very engaged in my training. The hardest part of the job was the organization of the coordination of over 2,000 domestic and international exams. The most enjoyable part of the job was the work/life balance.
Pros
summer hours
Cons
outdated cubical work stations
great place to be
Academic Presentations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2016
Statistics Canada is a great place to work at. Salary is awesome. Ability to learn and acquire new skills. Management is approachable and very helpful.
Good Workspace
Consultant and Branding (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 March 2017
The University of Toronto is a good and inclusive workspace that I would encourage anyone to apply to. I've learned a great deal about management from seasoned staff and administration, and was also key in teaching me how to balance different portfolios and staff.

Part of my job at U of T was to manage franchises, this involved hiring and firing of staff, budgeting, projections, maintaining assets and protocol with Franchisors. The most difficult aspect of this job could probably be surmised by the sheer amounting moving parts that had to be overseen. But it was worth it, and I learned a great deal from the my supervisors and fellow staff.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
parking

Want to know more about University of Toronto?

Ask a question
Hard but fun workplace
Gymnastic Coach (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
A typical day at work revolves entirely around the kids. My job was plan and facilitate a lesson that would be fun, inclusive and safe for children. I learnt to adapt to different situations in a quick manner, as well as accommodate children with various learning styles. The environment was stressful but everyone was very kind, supportive and encouraging making the workplace enjoyable. The hardest part of my job was the long, hot hours in a facility with minimal air conditioning available. This made it very difficult for the kids and the instructors because at times the conditions were unbearable, where it became unsafe for the campers and the staff. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing kids progress and building a relationship with not only the kids but the parents. This was very satisfying and worth all the hard work
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Work conditions some times were very difficult with the heat
Poor culture
Veterinary Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2017
Poor work culture. Negative atmosphere and an unsupportive group of people. I would not recommend working here ever and there is little room for advancement. The place has a great reputation but that is about as far as it goes.
A place to work and grow
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2017
Being a research assistant is one of the best opportunities I have had in my life. It gives me all the freedom to be expressive about my ideas, and execute them while ensuring I have the right guidance while going about it.
The teaching assistant position was a part time position I had taken up. It gave me a first-hand experience of being a teacher, and it was something I never imagined it to be like. The challenge was to understand the student's point of view, go back to a time when I never knew the concepts, and had to learn them for the first time.
Worked there as a graduate student
Research Student (Ph.D) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2017
I was a graduate student at the University of Toronto in the Department of Chemistry. Facilities at the University are great and you have excellent access to scientific literature.
Pros
Excellent work/life balance
Cons
Lack of structure
Great job, intelligent, and friendly students and staff
Accessibility Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2016
A typical day at work was transporting handicapped and injured students in and around the campus.
I learned how to communicate more effectively, be on time, and be flexible.
The management was competent and good to me
The co-workers were helpful, hardworking, and competent
The hardest part of the job was when I couldn't pick students at the specified time, the vehicle was malfunctioning or bad weather.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with students and driving.
Pros
Great working conditions
Cons
Malfunctioning vehicle, bad weather, unable to meet time objectives
Very independent and initative based work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2016
As a research assistant, the job is not unlike that of a major research assignment or essay due for a university level class. You are posed with a general research direction or question and then left very much to your own devices to research, write and submit a finished product. With that said, being able to work efficiently and productively on your own time is key. Procrastination or relying on somebody else to keep you on task are both recipes for failure.
Pros
very independent, ability to make your own hours
Cons
a lot of constructive criticisms of your work
Computer Science Computing Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2017
It was a part time job. We would have a meeting every week. I was working 6 hours a week. Typical workday was sitting in front of the computer lab and waiting for the students to come and ask questions. I believe I improved my communication and troubleshooting skills. My coworkers were really nice people and we were helping each other if someone gets stuck on something. The hardest part of the job was to sacrifice time and go to work when you have a lot of stuff to study for. Other than that, all the parts were enjoyable.
Great Job
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2017
The university of Toronto is a wonderful employer. Great opportunity to work at this University. I loved working in teams and would recommend others to apply for jobs at this University.
Pros
Great employees, positive environment
Cons
Good place to work with a great workplace culture
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2017
As part of my job, I was responsible for the Food Engineering group's expansion initiative focused on developing a novel process for simultaneously producing protein and diesel. The job involved an exercise of creativity and critical thinking, and so I learned so much especially in taking on completely new projects. It exposed me to the world of technology innovation and how product development works.
Pros
Availability of learning resources
Cons
low pay
Productive and fun environment
CSC108 Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2016
It's a very good salary for a fun work environment. UofT is definitely a place to consider for job opportunities.
I would say that it is difficult to get a job with the faculty but once you do, it's a very enjoyable experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4