University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Customer service is important in this diverse enfironment
Records Assessor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2017
I found advancement difficult due to my age. However, I do possess a great deal of energy to perform any duty assigned. A typical day at work would consist of answering emails, working on student records, applying academic offences to student records. The Records Team, for the most part worked independently. Workplace culture is to be innovative and creative to make suggestions to improve work flow. The hardest part of the job is not enough student contact. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was congratulated for my initiative to improve work flow in our office.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Not enough student contact
A place to work and grow
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2017
Being a research assistant is one of the best opportunities I have had in my life. It gives me all the freedom to be expressive about my ideas, and execute them while ensuring I have the right guidance while going about it.
The teaching assistant position was a part time position I had taken up. It gave me a first-hand experience of being a teacher, and it was something I never imagined it to be like. The challenge was to understand the student's point of view, go back to a time when I never knew the concepts, and had to learn them for the first time.
great working environmeny
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2017
Pros
Professors are nice and willing to help at anytime. I get practiced in explaining complicated ideas or concepts in an understandable way. The feeling worth more than the salary earned. UofT counts the working hour and pay the corresponding salaries in a very generous way.
Cons
It takes a lot of individual time to get ready for the tutorial. Students ask about easy questions repeatedly and teaching assistants have to explain again and again.
Computer Science Computing Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2017
It was a part time job. We would have a meeting every week. I was working 6 hours a week. Typical workday was sitting in front of the computer lab and waiting for the students to come and ask questions. I believe I improved my communication and troubleshooting skills. My coworkers were really nice people and we were helping each other if someone gets stuck on something. The hardest part of the job was to sacrifice time and go to work when you have a lot of stuff to study for. Other than that, all the parts were enjoyable.
Very independent and initative based work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2016
As a research assistant, the job is not unlike that of a major research assignment or essay due for a university level class. You are posed with a general research direction or question and then left very much to your own devices to research, write and submit a finished product. With that said, being able to work efficiently and productively on your own time is key. Procrastination or relying on somebody else to keep you on task are both recipes for failure.
Pros
very independent, ability to make your own hours
Cons
a lot of constructive criticisms of your work
Fun to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 January 2017
I enjoyed working there. A typical day at work would to call alumni to raise funds towards the campaigns the University would conduct seasonally. Campaigns could be towards infrastructure and services the University offers towards its current students. I learned how to talk on the phone on a professional manner and this skill has served me useful.
My Volunteer Lecturer Experience at Univ of Toronto
Volunteer Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2016
I have volunteered as a Lecturer at University of Toronto for the past 9 years by delivering two 2-hour lectures, designing and checking answer sheets for about 30 graduate level students. I found my experience and mentorship offered to me at Univ of Toronto to be excellent. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
A very supportive inclusive team
Associate Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 November 2016
I am completing my Co-op Term as the HR Associate Coordinator at University of Toronto Scarborough Campus. I help students with their job applications and interviews in one on one appointments. The Student Development Team is very supportive. IT's a fast paced High involvement environment where every employee's opinion and input is encouraged and appreciated.
Grading exams and assignments
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2016
- Conducted weekly office hours for students to resolve their problems and develop their critical thinking
- Graded over 2000 exam papers effectively with strong attention to details

- Collaborated with fellow TAs to complete various tasks, such as administration, developing case marking keys and grading assignments and exams
Amazing job, awesome people, management was incredible.
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2016
I loved my time working at various libraries at UofT. I would go back in a second if I could. All three bosses I worked under were incredibly accessible and easy going, truly amazing people. Library patrons were always friendly and I never worked with anyone who wasn't a delight. The work itself was never overwhelming and I enjoyed every second working there.
Pros
Friendly and passionate bosses, friendly clientele, great job all around.
Chill advisors
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
Worked in conjunction with the OPP and a mining company and it was a great experience. I got to travel while on the job, do some things outside my comfort zone and offer some solutions that made an impact. I appreciate that my advisor was willing to take ideas from everyone and consider them equally. I enjoyed my time there.
Friendly and fun
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 October 2016
There's always something to keep you happy on Mississauga campus.
If we decided to stay after hours during winter, we still got to sit in the library and focus on our studies.
The hardest part was finding good food on campus for the first 2 years, but with the new food court which was opened in Davis Building, we had more options to choose from.
I got to work with students with different learning abilities and I had to switch my approach for every one of them. I also had to learn how to balance my own studies to remain an A student and help others as well
Very good but very boring work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  UofT17 January 2017
Very nice place to work on your own research since there are many other researchers working on new ideas every day. Aside from that, the entire process of my research was data analytics which I am not very interested in and therefore it was very boring and tiring job to do.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Boring task
Fun group of guys
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 February 2017
Pretty good group, student ran environment, very chill about everything, tends to be too chill sometimes. bureaucracy is somewhat messed up and confused at times. the entire performance really swings a lot depending on who is president that year
Pros
good exposure to world events
Cons
very sloppy chain of command
Friendly and great training
Admissions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
A typical day at work was communication heavy with students. I mostly coordinated exams and assisted in the office with various administration tasks such as filing, grading, writing course outlines. I learned how to give appropriate responses to inquiries and improve student relations within the school. The management was very organized and prepared. My co-workers were friendly and was very engaged in my training. The hardest part of the job was the organization of the coordination of over 2,000 domestic and international exams. The most enjoyable part of the job was the work/life balance.
Pros
summer hours
Cons
outdated cubical work stations
A place full of talented and amazing people
Volunteer / Research Opportunity Program student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
• Conducted tests and interviews, analyzed and entered data, and transcribed and translated interviews for several ongoing psychology studies in the Applied Psychology Department.
• Assisted in running Friendship Across Cultures intervention program. Responsible for running discussion and activity sections on acculturation each week at a local school.
• Together with a partner, conducted a research on friendship analysis on Canadian students and international students.
Overall experience
SCHOOL CARETAKER (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 November 2016
I enjoy the people that I worked with. The people were very helpful and productive with their assigned tasks. On a typical day I would clean the washrooms and collect the garbage for the entire school. I enjoyed working alone because I am someone who takes initiative and well timely managed.
Pros
Starting time
Cons
Finished very late at night
Great job, intelligent, and friendly students and staff
Accessibility Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2016
A typical day at work was transporting handicapped and injured students in and around the campus.
I learned how to communicate more effectively, be on time, and be flexible.
The management was competent and good to me
The co-workers were helpful, hardworking, and competent
The hardest part of the job was when I couldn't pick students at the specified time, the vehicle was malfunctioning or bad weather.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with students and driving.
Pros
Great working conditions
Cons
Malfunctioning vehicle, bad weather, unable to meet time objectives
Hard Work but very Satisfying
Co-President, Pakistan Development Fund (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
The Pakistan Development Fund is an intensive teamwork centric environment within UofT. The people were a great support and everyone was willing to go out of their way to ensure that events ran smoothly. It was an intense job that involved long hours and commitment, but it was worth it with the high turn out and returns.
Pros
event skills, team
Cons
long hours, commitment after school work
Great autonomy and trust. Very easy to work with.
Communications Consultant - Faculty of Medicine (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
This is a contract role, so I spend most of my time from my home office. I do like the organization though and would work for them full time, if the opportunity were presented.
Pros
Trust
Cons
Long approval process

4.4