University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Great job, intelligent, and friendly students and staff
Accessibility Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2016
A typical day at work was transporting handicapped and injured students in and around the campus.
I learned how to communicate more effectively, be on time, and be flexible.
The management was competent and good to me
The co-workers were helpful, hardworking, and competent
The hardest part of the job was when I couldn't pick students at the specified time, the vehicle was malfunctioning or bad weather.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with students and driving.
Pros
Great working conditions
Cons
Malfunctioning vehicle, bad weather, unable to meet time objectives
Hard Work but very Satisfying
Co-President, Pakistan Development Fund (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2016
The Pakistan Development Fund is an intensive teamwork centric environment within UofT. The people were a great support and everyone was willing to go out of their way to ensure that events ran smoothly. It was an intense job that involved long hours and commitment, but it was worth it with the high turn out and returns.
Pros
event skills, team
Cons
long hours, commitment after school work
Great people to work with and a lot of things to learn
Finance Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
I worked as a Financial Lab Assistant at U of T when I was a student there. I spent 8 hours per week in the lab; besides making sure the rules in the lab were followed, I spent most of the time learning about Bloomburg, Capital IQ and other equity research tools. Also, I was assigned financial modeling projects by the Finance Lab Librarian, from which I gained valuable experience. The salary of this position is not high, but I learnt a lot from it.
Intensive but an enlightening place to work.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 21, 2016
A typical day would consist of running participants with the current study in the lab or completing daily lab tasks scheduled on a computer. I learned a lot about recording, organizing and analyzing data and ethics about interacting with participants. Sometimes instructions for completing lab tasks were vague or confusing which could be frustrating at times. The most enjoyable part of the position was being able to interact with participants and engaging in meaning conversation with other lab assistants and managers about research in social/personality psychology.
Friendly working environment with informative training.
Research Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
Major tasks included conducting laboratory work, maintaining tools and equipment, and analyzing experimental results. Tasks were assigned by the supervisor. However, how you carry them out were in your hands; you were expected to have strong time management skills. The students and workers at the laboratory were friendly.
Engaging and fun
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2016
The role of a practical leader consisted of solving weekly problem sets, quizzes, and mark lab notebooks.
As a leader, I learned time management skills and explored different ways of addressing a large group.
The most enjoyable aspect is to help students understand complex concepts by breaking down problems into smaller simple ones.
Always Contract
Back End Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2016
No hope of being regular. Strict working hours. Must come in at 8:45am and be gone by 5:00pm. If late, they don't want you to work extra to cover the time that you missed. Have employees here that are still only under contract even after working for so long. A manager was fired even after 10+ years just because he disagreed with the manager.
Relaxed workplace with minimal supervision allows work to progress and be completed
Information Systems Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 12, 2016
typical workday involves continued development of projects currently assigned, over the course of the internship four projects were worked on and completed.
Pros
freedom to work on own pace/relaxed environment with minimal supervision
Cons
confusing chain of command, too many people giving instructions
AccessAbility Services UTSC is a workplace to avoid but other U of T areas are better
Assistant and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 25, 2016
Working at AccessAbility was about constantly walking on eggshells because you never knew when something would trigger the directors' insecurities. It was difficult to ask for support because directors would rudely interrupt employees as they are speaking and say NO or reply with some sort of defensive answer. Although they require good experience and qualifications when hiring, they are not actually interested in having you use that expertise because they themselves get easily defensive at that. AccessAbility Services has a leadership with poor communication abilities and high insecurities. Best to pick another department.
Pros
Friendly students, U of T has good reputation
Cons
poor leadership, poor communication, insecurities in leadership
Intellectually regirous and enlightning
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 17, 2016
working hours were flexible and I could work from anywhere. It was basically researching literature and developing a work plan. I am part of developing a research manual for the community based researcher. It has been a great learning experience working with the professor who is the lead researcher for a SSHRC funded project. It is too much based on computer but most fun thing about working on this project is it intellectually empowering.
Pros
flexisble and fun
Cons
too table/computer based
Review of every day
Manager of Caretaking and Stores Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2016
They are a Top 100 Employer , I thought the University would be organized a little better! Management does not back the Supervisor, most people are afraid every day about loosing their job, unless they are in the Union.
Pros
Short day, lots of Vacation, good Benifits
Cons
No overtime, No security
My second home
Health and Safety Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
Every day here is an exciting day and reminds me of how well this department operates to provide valuable training to the University of Toronto.

Every individual working here is incredibly brilliant and brings different perspective to the table. This team has such passion for health and safety and it's incredibly motivating.
colleagues are very easy going.
Electrical Engineering Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
I collaborated with a group of Ph.D candidates, professional engineers and professors under department of electrical and computer engineering. I obtained professional skills on PCB design by Altium, chip design by Cadence and advanced circuit and chip testing techniques.
Interesting work, inadequate pay, good professional development
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 11, 2016
The joys and drawbacks of teaching are well-known. U of T as an employer is respectful and flexible, providing lots of support to both teachers and students. There is lots of competition for instructor jobs, so the salaries will never properly compensate you for the work you do. You take the job for the experience.
Very academic environment, with opportunities for the right individual to shine.
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
I worked with a great team of Project Managers and co-workers, who were all very helpful. I learned the SAP system through courses and individual training, which is an additional asset.

This was my first exposure to a Public sector job, and I found the environment interesting, sometimes restrictive and somewhat stagnating, but looking back it was a good and secure place to be.
Pros
Pension plan
Cons
Job duties were not what I expected
Material Engineering Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 4, 2016
The 9-5 typical hours. Learned alot of materials by reading research papers from the prof. However, the organization of the whole research project could use some improvement; there was no clear steps to the final goal of the research.
Great place to work!
Sediment Geochemistry Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 14, 2016
A typical day involves lab work doing titration, and spectophotometric analysis of lake water. I have learned proper lab techniques such as titration, pipetting, spectophotometry, data collection.

Working in the lab is quite enjoyable and I love working here.
Tensive but beneficial
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 22, 2016
The study in University of Toronto was full of challenges. However, it was also exciting with suprises. University of Toronto provides a lot of resources which are very help for future career build-up but it is up to you to discover these resources and services
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2016
Conduct tutorials, assisted course instructor to deliver course materials as well as address student questions/concerns regarding the course while enhancing student learnings
Very intense
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 6, 2016
Surrounded by interesting ideas and personalities, very scientifically engaging. Can also be stressful at times because of the deadlines. But overall an intellectually-stimulating environment

4.4