University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Great job, intelligent, and friendly students and staff
Accessibility Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2016
A typical day at work was transporting handicapped and injured students in and around the campus.
I learned how to communicate more effectively, be on time, and be flexible.
The management was competent and good to me
The co-workers were helpful, hardworking, and competent
The hardest part of the job was when I couldn't pick students at the specified time, the vehicle was malfunctioning or bad weather.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with students and driving.
Pros
Great working conditions
Cons
Malfunctioning vehicle, bad weather, unable to meet time objectives
Hard Work but very Satisfying
Co-President, Pakistan Development Fund (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2016
The Pakistan Development Fund is an intensive teamwork centric environment within UofT. The people were a great support and everyone was willing to go out of their way to ensure that events ran smoothly. It was an intense job that involved long hours and commitment, but it was worth it with the high turn out and returns.
Pros
event skills, team
Cons
long hours, commitment after school work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2016
Conduct tutorials, assisted course instructor to deliver course materials as well as address student questions/concerns regarding the course while enhancing student learnings
intersting work place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 12, 2016
The most enjoyable part in the work is that my students improve a lot on their grades. Before I teach them , the average is 55. After that , the grades increased to 65.
Pros
very close
Cons
short hours
Very intense
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 6, 2016
Surrounded by interesting ideas and personalities, very scientifically engaging. Can also be stressful at times because of the deadlines. But overall an intellectually-stimulating environment
intership
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 5, 2016
I just did my internship there for 1 week for my college, I love that place i learned a lot and really loved working with children
Engaging and fun
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2016
The role of a practical leader consisted of solving weekly problem sets, quizzes, and mark lab notebooks.
As a leader, I learned time management skills and explored different ways of addressing a large group.
The most enjoyable aspect is to help students understand complex concepts by breaking down problems into smaller simple ones.
Review of every day
Manager of Caretaking and Stores Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2016
They are a Top 100 Employer , I thought the University would be organized a little better! Management does not back the Supervisor, most people are afraid every day about loosing their job, unless they are in the Union.
Pros
Short day, lots of Vacation, good Benifits
Cons
No overtime, No security
Always Contract
Back End Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2016
No hope of being regular. Strict working hours. Must come in at 8:45am and be gone by 5:00pm. If late, they don't want you to work extra to cover the time that you missed. Have employees here that are still only under contract even after working for so long. A manager was fired even after 10+ years just because he disagreed with the manager.
Material Engineering Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 4, 2016
The 9-5 typical hours. Learned alot of materials by reading research papers from the prof. However, the organization of the whole research project could use some improvement; there was no clear steps to the final goal of the research.
Volunteer- no real paid job review.
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 17, 2016
Volunteer- no paid job review. Being a volunteer creates a lot of experience but a lot of work with no real end product besides experience.
Productive environment.
Communication and Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 15, 2016
One of the best places I've worked at. Productive environment. Great boss. High turnover because of constant higher ups change.
Great people to work with and a lot of things to learn
Finance Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
I worked as a Financial Lab Assistant at U of T when I was a student there. I spent 8 hours per week in the lab; besides making sure the rules in the lab were followed, I spent most of the time learning about Bloomburg, Capital IQ and other equity research tools. Also, I was assigned financial modeling projects by the Finance Lab Librarian, from which I gained valuable experience. The salary of this position is not high, but I learnt a lot from it.
Research centered environment with lots of talented colleagues
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
U of T graduate students are some of the best in the world. Colleagues there are passionate about their fields, making it easy to draw inspiration.
Friendly working environment with informative training.
Research Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
Major tasks included conducting laboratory work, maintaining tools and equipment, and analyzing experimental results. Tasks were assigned by the supervisor. However, how you carry them out were in your hands; you were expected to have strong time management skills. The students and workers at the laboratory were friendly.
Fine work place
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2016
Good pay. Reasonable amount of work. Good professors. Good students and fellow TA's to work with. Great working environment overall.
AccessAbility Services UTSC is a workplace to avoid but other U of T areas are better
Assistant and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 25, 2016
Working at AccessAbility was about constantly walking on eggshells because you never knew when something would trigger the directors' insecurities. It was difficult to ask for support because directors would rudely interrupt employees as they are speaking and say NO or reply with some sort of defensive answer. Although they require good experience and qualifications when hiring, they are not actually interested in having you use that expertise because they themselves get easily defensive at that. AccessAbility Services has a leadership with poor communication abilities and high insecurities. Best to pick another department.
Pros
Friendly students, U of T has good reputation
Cons
poor leadership, poor communication, insecurities in leadership
Intensive but an enlightening place to work.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 21, 2016
A typical day would consist of running participants with the current study in the lab or completing daily lab tasks scheduled on a computer. I learned a lot about recording, organizing and analyzing data and ethics about interacting with participants. Sometimes instructions for completing lab tasks were vague or confusing which could be frustrating at times. The most enjoyable part of the position was being able to interact with participants and engaging in meaning conversation with other lab assistants and managers about research in social/personality psychology.
very good
Research Assistant/GIS Analyst Programmer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
Teaching and research work is very good. All professors and colleagues are very cooperative. Teaching and research is very enjoyable part in my career.
colleagues are very easy going.
Electrical Engineering Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
I collaborated with a group of Ph.D candidates, professional engineers and professors under department of electrical and computer engineering. I obtained professional skills on PCB design by Altium, chip design by Cadence and advanced circuit and chip testing techniques.

4.4