University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews in Canada

Volunteer- no real paid job review.
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 17, 2016
Volunteer- no paid job review. Being a volunteer creates a lot of experience but a lot of work with no real end product besides experience.
Productive environment.
Communication and Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 15, 2016
One of the best places I've worked at. Productive environment. Great boss. High turnover because of constant higher ups change.
Great people to work with and a lot of things to learn
Finance Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
I worked as a Financial Lab Assistant at U of T when I was a student there. I spent 8 hours per week in the lab; besides making sure the rules in the lab were followed, I spent most of the time learning about Bloomburg, Capital IQ and other equity research tools. Also, I was assigned financial modeling projects by the Finance Lab Librarian, from which I gained valuable experience. The salary of this position is not high, but I learnt a lot from it.
Research centered environment with lots of talented colleagues
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
U of T graduate students are some of the best in the world. Colleagues there are passionate about their fields, making it easy to draw inspiration.
Friendly working environment with informative training.
Research Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
Major tasks included conducting laboratory work, maintaining tools and equipment, and analyzing experimental results. Tasks were assigned by the supervisor. However, how you carry them out were in your hands; you were expected to have strong time management skills. The students and workers at the laboratory were friendly.
Fine work place
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2016
Good pay. Reasonable amount of work. Good professors. Good students and fellow TA's to work with. Great working environment overall.
AccessAbility Services UTSC is a workplace to avoid but other U of T areas are better
Assistant and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 25, 2016
Working at AccessAbility was about constantly walking on eggshells because you never knew when something would trigger the directors' insecurities. It was difficult to ask for support because directors would rudely interrupt employees as they are speaking and say NO or reply with some sort of defensive answer. Although they require good experience and qualifications when hiring, they are not actually interested in having you use that expertise because they themselves get easily defensive at that. AccessAbility Services has a leadership with poor communication abilities and high insecurities. Best to pick another department.
Pros
Friendly students, U of T has good reputation
Cons
poor leadership, poor communication, insecurities in leadership
Intensive but an enlightening place to work.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 21, 2016
A typical day would consist of running participants with the current study in the lab or completing daily lab tasks scheduled on a computer. I learned a lot about recording, organizing and analyzing data and ethics about interacting with participants. Sometimes instructions for completing lab tasks were vague or confusing which could be frustrating at times. The most enjoyable part of the position was being able to interact with participants and engaging in meaning conversation with other lab assistants and managers about research in social/personality psychology.
very good
Research Assistant/GIS Analyst Programmer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
Teaching and research work is very good. All professors and colleagues are very cooperative. Teaching and research is very enjoyable part in my career.
colleagues are very easy going.
Electrical Engineering Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
I collaborated with a group of Ph.D candidates, professional engineers and professors under department of electrical and computer engineering. I obtained professional skills on PCB design by Altium, chip design by Cadence and advanced circuit and chip testing techniques.
Relaxed workplace with minimal supervision allows work to progress and be completed
Information Systems Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 12, 2016
typical workday involves continued development of projects currently assigned, over the course of the internship four projects were worked on and completed.
Pros
freedom to work on own pace/relaxed environment with minimal supervision
Cons
confusing chain of command, too many people giving instructions
Challenging and rewarding
Language Facilitator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 5, 2016
I learned how to work in a University setting, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Overall it was a very rewarding place to work.
My second home
Health and Safety Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
Every day here is an exciting day and reminds me of how well this department operates to provide valuable training to the University of Toronto.

Every individual working here is incredibly brilliant and brings different perspective to the table. This team has such passion for health and safety and it's incredibly motivating.
Good
Faculty (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 1, 2016
I worked for a seminar, and everyone here was extremely professional. Knew what they were talking about and extremely organized
Tensive but beneficial
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 22, 2016
The study in University of Toronto was full of challenges. However, it was also exciting with suprises. University of Toronto provides a lot of resources which are very help for future career build-up but it is up to you to discover these resources and services
Intellectually regirous and enlightning
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 17, 2016
working hours were flexible and I could work from anywhere. It was basically researching literature and developing a work plan. I am part of developing a research manual for the community based researcher. It has been a great learning experience working with the professor who is the lead researcher for a SSHRC funded project. It is too much based on computer but most fun thing about working on this project is it intellectually empowering.
Pros
flexisble and fun
Cons
too table/computer based
Great place to work!
Sediment Geochemistry Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 14, 2016
A typical day involves lab work doing titration, and spectophotometric analysis of lake water. I have learned proper lab techniques such as titration, pipetting, spectophotometry, data collection.

Working in the lab is quite enjoyable and I love working here.
Interesting work, inadequate pay, good professional development
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 11, 2016
The joys and drawbacks of teaching are well-known. U of T as an employer is respectful and flexible, providing lots of support to both teachers and students. There is lots of competition for instructor jobs, so the salaries will never properly compensate you for the work you do. You take the job for the experience.
Fun learning experience
student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
Featherstone Music
After school I would teach kids between the ages of 4-12 piano from half an hour to an hour. I learned how to cater to students individual learning styles and how to manage time between teaching songs and working/developing students technical skills. The hardest part of the job was to determine when to challenge the student more or when to stay on a particular piece/skill and develop it. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the student progress with every piece and seeing him/her realize he/she made a mistake and fixed it.

Hospital for Sick Children
I would get NF1 cells from the incubator and look at the effects of lithium on these cells. I learned valuable research skills such as cell culture and keeping a neat lab notebook. I learned how to manage my time between different aspects of the experiment in order for optimal use of time in the lab. My mentors would teach me lab skills such as western blot and cell culture. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting results whether they were expected or not expected and being taught how to analyze and interpret data
Pros
experience!
Cons
Hours would be after a long day of class
Productive and fun environment
CSC108 Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 7, 2016
It's a very good salary for a fun work environment. UofT is definitely a place to consider for job opportunities.
I would say that it is difficult to get a job with the faculty but once you do, it's a very enjoyable experience.

4.4