University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A great place to learn and receive research experience
Research Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 3, 2012
Pros: good experience, interesting experiments, learning new techniques and using new machines
Cons: low salary, no job security
The rating for this company is based on a contract employment position and would be very different for a full time employee overall and especially in the categories that were marked lower in this assessment. A typical day at work:
9:00: Turn on tissue culture hood, and put media in water bath. Plan out the experiments of the day and prepare the samples needed

9:30: Perform lab activities if it is more efficient to do so in the morning. This includes Bradford assays, Western Blots, mini-preps, maxi-preps and running agarose gels.

12-1: Lunch

1:00: Transfer protein gels to PVDF, image agarose gels, determine DNA concentrations from mini-prep/maxi-prep

2:30: Perform tissue culture experiments including seeding or passing cells, changing media, infecting cells with virus, freezing cells, or harvesting virus

4:30: Record in the log book the activities of the day and clean up the bench. Check if anything needs to be autoclaved for the next day or if supplies need to be refilled

5:00: End of day. More often than not the day would go longer because of experiments taking longer to 6:30

It was a very good experience working here and I learned many new techniques as stated above including western blotting, tissue culture work and several molecular biology techniques such as site directed mutagenesis. I also learned about the alternative splicing of HIV-1 that is required for its proliferation as that was the focus of the lab I was in.

The management was good and they had recently made a break room space for the floor I was working on including a big screen TV, couches and a lunch – more... room area with a fridge, microwave, toaster and dishwasher. With the occasional coffee and cookies session and monthly floor parties it was an enjoyable aspect of working at U of T.

My coworkers were very helpful during my time directing me to wherever I needed to go and showing me how to perform the various techniques required to do my experiments. Most of my coworkers were also closer to my age and so we shared a lot of common interests, but in general the people working on my floor were very courteous and helpful and contributed to the positive experience I had here.

The hardest part of the job was having to deal with experiments not working for various different reasons and trying to be patient and realizing that in research not everything is going to work right away. However it was also interesting to try and solve those problems by troubleshooting.

The most enjoyable part of the job was simply learning all the different techniques involved in the research process and seeing the results from your experiments. Whether the results were promising or if the experiment did not give the expected results it was good to try and learn from my mistakes and try new things. And it was especially enjoyable when experiments worked, and particularly if they were something difficult or something that had taken time to get a successful result – less
Interactive and diverse workplace
President of UTSC Pre-Law Society (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONMay 9, 2013
UTSC Pre-Law Society is a student club at University of Toronto, with the mandate of helping out those interested in going to law school.

As the President, I oversee all Pre-Law events and operations. A typical shift would usually involve me hosting a meeting between executives to make decisions on events, guest speakers, supplies, budget, and other important decisions. I'd then list out the tasks that need to be fulfilled and assign them to each executive. Since I did all the marketing, usually after that I'd advertise our events and the club via a mass email, facebook, twitter, and our school's website (intranet). When needed, I'd read resume, interview, and hire executives.

The hardest part of the job is motivating executives, as many tasks are rather boring and tedious. However, I achieved this by instilling a sense of teamwork within executives, and by rewarding executives with events like "executive appreciation night", where all the executives go to dinner together. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing everything come together at events, and see how much we benefited pre-law students.

I learned how to be a leader who needs to be both authoritative but also friendly with executives, and with pre-law members. I also learned how to interact with various school departments to get the job done.
A great learning experience
Biomedical Engineer - Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 12, 2014
Pros: freedom to express originality and creativity
Cons: some materials would take too long to reach the workplace
The day would start with a meeting with the fellow laboratory partners. Everyone would discuss about the challenges that they are facing in their research. Ideas will be suggested and critically analysed. Owing to the diverse scientific background, it was always great to see the different ways different scientist would approach some problems. After the meeting, I would proceed to my workplace and start developing different surfaces for cell culture. A single culture surface would take days or sometimes weeks to manufacture. Time management was essential to achieve a good yield.

The hardest part of the job was to be helpless while waiting for an equipment to be repaired. The best part of the job was to see the great results when an implemented idea works beautifully. As part of the job, I have developed new skills in microfabrication, cell culture and microscopy.
Challenging and rewarding learning opportunity
Stage Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 2, 2014
Pros: teamwork opportunities and rewarding experiences
Cons: long hours and often unfair pay rates
Working as a stage manager for the Leigha Lee Browne Theatre at the University of Toronto - Scarborough Campus, I worked frequently between and after my classes there. I learned how to manage a variety of different goals and expectations from a number of sources while still maintaining my own integrity and values. I expanded and grew upon my skills in managing a large team of over 20 peers working in the production. Part of my job was often to act as a medium between upper-level employees in leadership positions and actors in less artistically decisive positions. The hardest part of this work was to organize a multitude of schedules in a way that worked collectively for the entire group. I would say the most enjoyable part of this work was growing as a team that worked to pursue the same goals for themselves and each other.
A workplace that has nice co-workers
Caretaker (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: union, benefits, job security, hourly wage
Cons: night shift hours
A typical day at work would include cleaning washrooms, emptying out garbage bins , cleaning offices , vacuuming , wiping down tables. I have learned in the 9 years I have been at the University that unfortunately some management that work there treat their employees like they are uneducated and beneath them. I believe that management should be boosting their workers morale instead of crushing it. The hardest part of my job would have to be the hours, I work Sun-Thurs from 11:00pm-7:30am so it's tough to have a normal life. I would much rather prefer morning shifts then nights shifts. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and getting to hear all their stories and past experiences in life.
life at my research lab
Postdoctoral Fellow Research (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 22, 2014
Pros: nice social and scientific enviroment
Cons: long way to reach at work place at downtown
Usually, I make a plan for whole week to manage my research better, since I am involving in 4 main projects. of which I handle two projects myself and supervise my students who are working on others. we have meeting every week and specially before initiating any major experiments to review all steps and per-preparation of material. My co-workers are very nice and helpful. we have good and productive discussion on our scientific concerns and also social activity. the later I think is very important for progressing in research.

The most enjoyable part of my job is good results, as I am metabolic engineer and try to modify organisms to show desire behavior.
Avoid this place
Caretaking (Current Employee), MississaugaFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: wages
Cons: lazy administration, useless union, hr try to find a way to ignore or put fuell to the existing problems
Lucky I got hired, just noticed everyone is related or close friends
To the supervisor and dept. manager I have to walk on the fine line every single day not to mention how those no related get attacked every single day without being able to complain to anyone cuz nothing is confidential here. Do not waste your time applying here is a long old bad habit supported be HR for many years and nothing done to change that. Every week they pick a name or 2 who to attack. Be smart stay away..... Or find out yourself.

Is a blame game every day. Do not trust HR/Union/administration they all have the same vision. Look after each other, cover up and take down who ever get on their way.

June 27, 2013

The University of Toronto is a great research institution as well as a family friendly, diverse work environment. There are several generations of U of T grads that come back to the University to work. U of T has been on the Top 100 Employer's List for countless years which exemplifies its commitment to its employees. I feel very fortunate to work for the University as it is a very stimulating environment with a wealth of knowledge and the benefit plans are very generous (great Pension Plan and health benefits). My children have also benefited from tax-free scholarships and I have also studied at this wonderful institution. I could not imagine working anywhere else!

July 2, 2013

One must also add that there are lots of very good people who are expremely competent at the UofT who are really out there to try to help people. But I will agree on the Union, the union reps and HR departments and their assistance programs are a bit of a smoke screen to secure their own positions, salaries and pensions. (Union and HR are immune from getting reorged). It's best stay a mile away from the union and HR and just deal with the right people.

A great way to enhance communication skills and the hours are flexible
Personal Trainer & Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2013
A typical day at work would include training clients and providing group fitness classes. With that said, being a Mississauga Aquatics Strength Coach, I also have to deal with groups of professional swimmers to provide for their training sessions to assist in their competitive swimming. I learned to cooperate with fellow trainers in an athletic environment under an organized management. I also learned how to deal with customer-raised issues towards the athletic facility. To be honest, I enjoy working a lot and being part of the university's athletic institution.
Great on the job learning and mentoring others
Teaching Assistant Accounting (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 18, 2014
Pros: communication with professors
During office hours, I assisted students in understanding the accounting material by providing various methods of solving problems. I effectively graded assignments and exams within the allotted time proving for great time management. I learned how to approach a variety of students with different learning style and change my method of teaching to suit them, My coworkers were very respectable and fun to be around. The hardest part of the job was to see the students struggle but it made it more enjoyable when I helped them understand the material.
Expect sabotage and deception.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: well recognized university
Cons: cut-throat environment.
A typical day at work: you work on your own or in a group that generally comprises people with a similar background.
What you learned: People have no principles and will do whatever it takes to get ahead and generally try to crush anyone they can to get ahead.
Management: Professors get away with anything.
Your co-workers: Will use you, and deceive you if it helps them get ahead unless you are of the same background as them.
The hardest part of the job: Avoiding mal intent.
The most enjoyable part of the job: accomplishing assignments or courses or publishing research.
UofT is very research based, educational and diverse
LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 18, 2015
Pros: If you love research this is the place to be
Cons: Many Long hours Spending in the basement with no natural light
In my opinion University of Toronto at Mississauga is a very friendly, vibrant, dynamic and educational environment both for students and employees.
During the time I worked at University of Toronto I set up the Neuropsychology research lab with the guidance of our professor from scratch, kept everything organized and ordered equipment. Also I assisted conducting research on Rat's Brains and their life style and took notes along with our students and recorded results.
Exciting and challenging workplace with interactive technology
Student Recruitment Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2014
The Office of Student Recruitment is an exciting and challenging environment. I am responsible for the day-to-day functions of the office, such as opening and closing, processing mail, scheduling special campus tours, and booking tour guides. I answer a variety of questions about the University via email, phone, and in person. The hardest part of the job can be the sheer number of inquiries per day; however, that is also one of the most enjoyable aspects. It is always exciting to see prospective students and visitors be interested in the University.
University of Toronto is a great place to work
Receptionist and Outreach, Physics (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 1, 2015
Pros: Learning opportunities, culture diversity of location, benefits and salary were comparable.
Cons: Distance to work lately, since the move to Milton.
I have thoroughly enjoyed working at the University, at both the St. George Campus and the Mississauga Campus.

All jobs have been challenging, and enjoyable. Most recently, the Physics Department has been the best experience. The people I worked with were the best. I had the opportunity to learn new systems - key database. The management was great, always approachable. Attending courses and seminars was always encouraged.
Great place for researcher
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 22, 2013
The project I've been working on is exciting. Usually I design my own devices and experiments to solve problem. I also order all the stuffs I need for my project, including materials, equipments etc. I've learned lots of thing from my co-workers who are dedicated to their researches. They are smart and hard-working people. The hardest part of the job is how to apply my knowledge to real life problems. There are two things in my job I feel the most enjoyable: (1) concept design (2) device prototyping. I really enjoy bringing my idea into the real world. If my deice can be used by others, I will be very very proud of it.
Volunteer Position
External Affairs Liaison and Event Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2013
I was the External Affairs Coordinator for the Historical Studies Society at the University of Toronto. I was incharge of planning and executing events, acting as a liasion between the HSS and the UTM Historical Studies Department, in addition to the UTMSU, HSS Faculty Liaison and the Head of the UTM Historical Studies Department. Furthermore I was incharge of communicating the goals of the HSS to various off campus parties with the purpose of fundraising or marketing. The total student population that was reached out by the HSS was roughly 3-4000 students.
ASBLab provided an interesting work environment to grow and practice initiative.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2016

I was put in charge of developing a face tracking algorithm for the Tangy robot. Tangy is a multi machine robot, where several nodes communicate with each other to accomplish a common goal.

I was able to use software and visual face recognition techniques to help Tangy identify people's faces. The software would then communicate with the motors actuating his neck to cause Tangy to maintain eye contact and follow people around.
Highly busy work environment that is fun, satisfying and challenging
Registrar Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 16, 2012
Pros: not enough time to build relationships
Cons: challenge that brings up the best in you
I managed the credential assessment applications. Communicated with applicants, processed their payments and entered the payments on the system. Updated the students records. Followed up on bouncing payments. Managed the front desk and acted as a first point of contact. Received calls and responded to inquiries. Channelled applications to the right assessors, mailed processed assessment reports, and filed processed applications.
Productive and conducive environment for learning leadership skills
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2012
Pros: meeting incredible people
Cons: lack of commitment, organization of campus group
Attending weekly meetings and acted as a liaison between the campus group and the Volunteer Coordinator of the 416 Women's Community Drop-In Centre.

Organized, recruited volunteers and set up meetings to discuss the progress of the volunteer program and if there were any complications with placements.

Hardest part was commitment from volunteers and following up with individuals who did not commit to the program in the long term.
Good learning experience
Team Member - MIE491 Capstone Design Course (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 20, 2013
A typical day working on projects at the University of Toronto would involve a great deal of commitment (including late nighters and early mornings) as well as learning overall. My undergraduate experience has taught me quite a bit in terms of good work ethic and technical expertise in my areas of specialization. I would say that the most rewarding part of this experience was the network of people that one gains after working on multiple projects with many talented people of different technical backgrounds.
Challenging
Security Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 9, 2015
This was one of the best jobs I've ever had and also one of the most challenging. I was responsible for a staff of security officers and together we made it our mission to provide a safe and comfortable environment for the students. I was even given a personal recommendation from the Dean of the university when I lead an investigation (resulting in the apprehension and arrest) of an individual who was stalking and assaulting female students. This is without a doubt the my greatest achievement during my time as a security officer.