University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Amazing job, awesome people, management was incredible.
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2016
I loved my time working at various libraries at UofT. I would go back in a second if I could. All three bosses I worked under were incredibly accessible and easy going, truly amazing people. Library patrons were always friendly and I never worked with anyone who wasn't a delight. The work itself was never overwhelming and I enjoyed every second working there.
Pros
Friendly and passionate bosses, friendly clientele, great job all around.
Friendly and fun
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 October 2016
There's always something to keep you happy on Mississauga campus.
If we decided to stay after hours during winter, we still got to sit in the library and focus on our studies.
The hardest part was finding good food on campus for the first 2 years, but with the new food court which was opened in Davis Building, we had more options to choose from.
I got to work with students with different learning abilities and I had to switch my approach for every one of them. I also had to learn how to balance my own studies to remain an A student and help others as well
Friendly and great training
Admissions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
A typical day at work was communication heavy with students. I mostly coordinated exams and assisted in the office with various administration tasks such as filing, grading, writing course outlines. I learned how to give appropriate responses to inquiries and improve student relations within the school. The management was very organized and prepared. My co-workers were friendly and was very engaged in my training. The hardest part of the job was the organization of the coordination of over 2,000 domestic and international exams. The most enjoyable part of the job was the work/life balance.
Pros
summer hours
Cons
outdated cubical work stations
A place full of talented and amazing people
Volunteer / Research Opportunity Program student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
• Conducted tests and interviews, analyzed and entered data, and transcribed and translated interviews for several ongoing psychology studies in the Applied Psychology Department.
• Assisted in running Friendship Across Cultures intervention program. Responsible for running discussion and activity sections on acculturation each week at a local school.
• Together with a partner, conducted a research on friendship analysis on Canadian students and international students.
A very supportive inclusive team
Associate Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 November 2016
I am completing my Co-op Term as the HR Associate Coordinator at University of Toronto Scarborough Campus. I help students with their job applications and interviews in one on one appointments. The Student Development Team is very supportive. IT's a fast paced High involvement environment where every employee's opinion and input is encouraged and appreciated.
Great job, intelligent, and friendly students and staff
Accessibility Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2016
A typical day at work was transporting handicapped and injured students in and around the campus.
I learned how to communicate more effectively, be on time, and be flexible.
The management was competent and good to me
The co-workers were helpful, hardworking, and competent
The hardest part of the job was when I couldn't pick students at the specified time, the vehicle was malfunctioning or bad weather.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with students and driving.
Pros
Great working conditions
Cons
Malfunctioning vehicle, bad weather, unable to meet time objectives
Hard Work but very Satisfying
Co-President, Pakistan Development Fund (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
The Pakistan Development Fund is an intensive teamwork centric environment within UofT. The people were a great support and everyone was willing to go out of their way to ensure that events ran smoothly. It was an intense job that involved long hours and commitment, but it was worth it with the high turn out and returns.
Pros
event skills, team
Cons
long hours, commitment after school work
Easy going and great management
Key Holder and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2016
Rexall has great advancement and offers great health benefits to their employees. Rexall has a lot of core values that they implement on their staff and they have high expectations for how we treat customers. Customer service is number one and it is our responsibility to go above and beyond for our loyal customers. Management is fair and easy to deal with. Rexall also provides health insurance to their employees and has a wonderful Union.

The University of Toronto was a great place to work at. I learned a lot about job culture and what it's like to deal with colleagues who have worked there way up the latter.
Pros
Great Discounts
Cons
Long Hours
Grading exams and assignments
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2016
- Conducted weekly office hours for students to resolve their problems and develop their critical thinking
- Graded over 2000 exam papers effectively with strong attention to details

- Collaborated with fellow TAs to complete various tasks, such as administration, developing case marking keys and grading assignments and exams
Overall experience
SCHOOL CARETAKER (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 November 2016
I enjoy the people that I worked with. The people were very helpful and productive with their assigned tasks. On a typical day I would clean the washrooms and collect the garbage for the entire school. I enjoyed working alone because I am someone who takes initiative and well timely managed.
Pros
Starting time
Cons
Finished very late at night
Amazing anti bias pluralistic place to work
Sessional Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2016
University of Toronto was the best place to work. The staff and management uphold the highest standards of equity and fair practice all the time and they advocate for people with disabilities. I strongly recommend them as a model environment for work and studying.
Pros
Open pluralistic
Great environment
Research Assistant, Assistant Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2016
The lab for me was a test run to see how I would function in a field that I was not completely familiar with, and it proved that I can learn anything that I set my mind to. It was an amazing environment to work in, and there were infinite learning opportunities available.
Engaging and fun
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2016
The role of a practical leader consisted of solving weekly problem sets, quizzes, and mark lab notebooks.
As a leader, I learned time management skills and explored different ways of addressing a large group.
The most enjoyable aspect is to help students understand complex concepts by breaking down problems into smaller simple ones.
Great people to work with and a lot of things to learn
Finance Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
I worked as a Financial Lab Assistant at U of T when I was a student there. I spent 8 hours per week in the lab; besides making sure the rules in the lab were followed, I spent most of the time learning about Bloomburg, Capital IQ and other equity research tools. Also, I was assigned financial modeling projects by the Finance Lab Librarian, from which I gained valuable experience. The salary of this position is not high, but I learnt a lot from it.
Great learning opportunity
Finance Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
I spent 8 hours per week in the Finance Lab. Besides making sure the rules in the lab were followed, I spent most of the time learning about various equity research tools, e.g. Bloomburg, Capital IQ. Also, I was assigned financial modeling projects by the librarian, from which I gained valuable experience. The hourly pay was not high, but this is a great opportunity to learn more about the finance and investment industry.
Always Contract
Back End Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2016
No hope of being regular. Strict working hours. Must come in at 8:45am and be gone by 5:00pm. If late, they don't want you to work extra to cover the time that you missed. Have employees here that are still only under contract even after working for so long. A manager was fired even after 10+ years just because he disagreed with the manager.
Review of every day
Manager of Caretaking and Stores Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2016
They are a Top 100 Employer , I thought the University would be organized a little better! Management does not back the Supervisor, most people are afraid every day about loosing their job, unless they are in the Union.
Pros
Short day, lots of Vacation, good Benifits
Cons
No overtime, No security
Friendly working environment with informative training.
Research Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
Major tasks included conducting laboratory work, maintaining tools and equipment, and analyzing experimental results. Tasks were assigned by the supervisor. However, how you carry them out were in your hands; you were expected to have strong time management skills. The students and workers at the laboratory were friendly.
Intensive but an enlightening place to work.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 June 2016
A typical day would consist of running participants with the current study in the lab or completing daily lab tasks scheduled on a computer. I learned a lot about recording, organizing and analyzing data and ethics about interacting with participants. Sometimes instructions for completing lab tasks were vague or confusing which could be frustrating at times. The most enjoyable part of the position was being able to interact with participants and engaging in meaning conversation with other lab assistants and managers about research in social/personality psychology.
Requires punctuality
Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 June 2016
Consistently must be in class in order to take proper notes. After notes have been taken and edited they must be uploaded to the Accessibility website of the school so students can access them immediately after a lecture. Superiors were able to be accessed easily through email for any questions I had. Hardest part was ensuring everything was organized and edited properly so there would be no trouble for the other students.

4.4