University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Easy going and great management
Key Holder and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2016
Rexall has great advancement and offers great health benefits to their employees. Rexall has a lot of core values that they implement on their staff and they have high expectations for how we treat customers. Customer service is number one and it is our responsibility to go above and beyond for our loyal customers. Management is fair and easy to deal with. Rexall also provides health insurance to their employees and has a wonderful Union.

The University of Toronto was a great place to work at. I learned a lot about job culture and what it's like to deal with colleagues who have worked there way up the latter.
Pros
Great Discounts
Cons
Long Hours
Friendly and great training
Admissions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
A typical day at work was communication heavy with students. I mostly coordinated exams and assisted in the office with various administration tasks such as filing, grading, writing course outlines. I learned how to give appropriate responses to inquiries and improve student relations within the school. The management was very organized and prepared. My co-workers were friendly and was very engaged in my training. The hardest part of the job was the organization of the coordination of over 2,000 domestic and international exams. The most enjoyable part of the job was the work/life balance.
Pros
summer hours
Cons
outdated cubical work stations
Fun to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 January 2017
I enjoyed working there. A typical day at work would to call alumni to raise funds towards the campaigns the University would conduct seasonally. Campaigns could be towards infrastructure and services the University offers towards its current students. I learned how to talk on the phone on a professional manner and this skill has served me useful.
Review of every day
Manager of Caretaking and Stores Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2016
They are a Top 100 Employer , I thought the University would be organized a little better! Management does not back the Supervisor, most people are afraid every day about loosing their job, unless they are in the Union.
Pros
Short day, lots of Vacation, good Benifits
Cons
No overtime, No security
Great job, intelligent, and friendly students and staff
Accessibility Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2016
A typical day at work was transporting handicapped and injured students in and around the campus.
I learned how to communicate more effectively, be on time, and be flexible.
The management was competent and good to me
The co-workers were helpful, hardworking, and competent
The hardest part of the job was when I couldn't pick students at the specified time, the vehicle was malfunctioning or bad weather.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with students and driving.
Pros
Great working conditions
Cons
Malfunctioning vehicle, bad weather, unable to meet time objectives
great working environmeny
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2017
Pros
Professors are nice and willing to help at anytime. I get practiced in explaining complicated ideas or concepts in an understandable way. The feeling worth more than the salary earned. UofT counts the working hour and pay the corresponding salaries in a very generous way.
Cons
It takes a lot of individual time to get ready for the tutorial. Students ask about easy questions repeatedly and teaching assistants have to explain again and again.
Innovative
Process Designer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 May 2016
Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL) is a federal Crown corporation responsible for the long-term, contractual arrangement with Canadian National Energy Alliance (CNEA) for the management and operation of Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL) under a Government-owned, Contractor-operated (GoCo) model. This follows the announcement by the Government of Canada in June 2015 of the selection of CNEA through a competitive procurement process. AECL works to monitor performance under the GoCo arrangement to meet Government objectives.
A place full of talented and amazing people
Volunteer / Research Opportunity Program student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
• Conducted tests and interviews, analyzed and entered data, and transcribed and translated interviews for several ongoing psychology studies in the Applied Psychology Department.
• Assisted in running Friendship Across Cultures intervention program. Responsible for running discussion and activity sections on acculturation each week at a local school.
• Together with a partner, conducted a research on friendship analysis on Canadian students and international students.
great place to be
Academic Presentations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2016
Statistics Canada is a great place to work at. Salary is awesome. Ability to learn and acquire new skills. Management is approachable and very helpful.
Hard Work but very Satisfying
Co-President, Pakistan Development Fund (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
The Pakistan Development Fund is an intensive teamwork centric environment within UofT. The people were a great support and everyone was willing to go out of their way to ensure that events ran smoothly. It was an intense job that involved long hours and commitment, but it was worth it with the high turn out and returns.
Pros
event skills, team
Cons
long hours, commitment after school work
Amazing anti bias pluralistic place to work
Sessional Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2016
University of Toronto was the best place to work. The staff and management uphold the highest standards of equity and fair practice all the time and they advocate for people with disabilities. I strongly recommend them as a model environment for work and studying.
Pros
Open pluralistic
UofT
Project Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2016
The University of Toronto is a wonderful, fast paced workplace. It can be a fantastic employer and has a lot of perks, further education, tuition coverage and great benefits.
Pros
Education
Cons
Lay offs
Positive and developmental role
Orientation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 December 2016
Was able to manage a team of executives + work closely with administration. Able to develop event planning and leadership skills. Was able to understand and deal with conflict resolution.
Very independent and initative based work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2016
As a research assistant, the job is not unlike that of a major research assignment or essay due for a university level class. You are posed with a general research direction or question and then left very much to your own devices to research, write and submit a finished product. With that said, being able to work efficiently and productively on your own time is key. Procrastination or relying on somebody else to keep you on task are both recipes for failure.
Pros
very independent, ability to make your own hours
Cons
a lot of constructive criticisms of your work
A place to work and grow
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2017
Being a research assistant is one of the best opportunities I have had in my life. It gives me all the freedom to be expressive about my ideas, and execute them while ensuring I have the right guidance while going about it.
The teaching assistant position was a part time position I had taken up. It gave me a first-hand experience of being a teacher, and it was something I never imagined it to be like. The challenge was to understand the student's point of view, go back to a time when I never knew the concepts, and had to learn them for the first time.
Great people to work with and a lot of things to learn
Finance Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
I worked as a Financial Lab Assistant at U of T when I was a student there. I spent 8 hours per week in the lab; besides making sure the rules in the lab were followed, I spent most of the time learning about Bloomburg, Capital IQ and other equity research tools. Also, I was assigned financial modeling projects by the Finance Lab Librarian, from which I gained valuable experience. The salary of this position is not high, but I learnt a lot from it.
Computer Science Computing Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2017
It was a part time job. We would have a meeting every week. I was working 6 hours a week. Typical workday was sitting in front of the computer lab and waiting for the students to come and ask questions. I believe I improved my communication and troubleshooting skills. My coworkers were really nice people and we were helping each other if someone gets stuck on something. The hardest part of the job was to sacrifice time and go to work when you have a lot of stuff to study for. Other than that, all the parts were enjoyable.
Engaging and fun
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2016
The role of a practical leader consisted of solving weekly problem sets, quizzes, and mark lab notebooks.
As a leader, I learned time management skills and explored different ways of addressing a large group.
The most enjoyable aspect is to help students understand complex concepts by breaking down problems into smaller simple ones.
University of Toronto is a great place to work
Receptionist and Outreach, Physics (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2015
I have thoroughly enjoyed working at the University, at both the St. George Campus and the Mississauga Campus.

All jobs have been challenging, and enjoyable. Most recently, the Physics Department has been the best experience. The people I worked with were the best. I had the opportunity to learn new systems - key database. The management was great, always approachable. Attending courses and seminars was always encouraged.
Pros
Learning opportunities, culture diversity of location, benefits and salary were comparable.
Cons
Distance to work lately, since the move to Milton.
Great place to start off
Network/Security Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2016
Friendly co-workers, room to learn and improve, lots of projects to get involved in but slow-paced and lacked urgency for entry level workers. No gatherings such as christmas parties etc.
Pros
Opportunity to learn alot with smart people
Cons
lack of work culture which encourages team building

4.4