University of Toronto Employee Review

View all University of Toronto reviews

Challenging and rewarding learning opportunity
Stage Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 April 2014
Working as a stage manager for the Leigha Lee Browne Theatre at the University of Toronto - Scarborough Campus, I worked frequently between and after my classes there. I learned how to manage a variety of different goals and expectations from a number of sources while still maintaining my own integrity and values. I expanded and grew upon my skills in managing a large team of over 20 peers working in the production. Part of my job was often to act as a medium between upper-level employees in leadership positions and actors in less artistically decisive positions. The hardest part of this work was to organize a multitude of schedules in a way that worked collectively for the entire group. I would say the most enjoyable part of this work was growing as a team that worked to pursue the same goals for themselves and each other.
Pros
Teamwork opportunities and rewarding experiences
Cons
Long hours and often unfair pay rates

Other University of Toronto Employee Reviews

A quality education
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 February 2018
I found my experience extremely rewarding by maintaining a mindset of always keeping up with the work, not slacking off and starting all assignments well in advance. Focusing on school work early gave me a lot of opportunities later on and allowed me to get involved in extracurricular activities without worrying about my grades. Finally, many of the professors in the biology department are knowledgeable and helpful if they recognise the students are struggling.
very good place to work
Welder-research assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2018
I worked in the structural labs for 6 tears an loved it there, very laid back atmosphere, was very sad when I was let go because of budget cutbacks- a couple of us were let go, staff and workplace conditions were excellent there.
Pros
shorter hours in the summer with the same pay
Cons
job security based on research grants