University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews in Canada

University of Toronto is a great place to work
Receptionist and Outreach, Physics (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 1, 2015
I have thoroughly enjoyed working at the University, at both the St. George Campus and the Mississauga Campus.

All jobs have been challenging, and enjoyable. Most recently, the Physics Department has been the best experience. The people I worked with were the best. I had the opportunity to learn new systems - key database. The management was great, always approachable. Attending courses and seminars was always encouraged.
Pros
Learning opportunities, culture diversity of location, benefits and salary were comparable.
Cons
Distance to work lately, since the move to Milton.
Dynamic career learning environment.
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 2, 2015
Dynamic education environment to work in. A typical day at work included benefits administration for Non-Unionized and Unionized staff and general office administration coordination. A great place to utilize my strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Pros
Working with knowledgeable staff.
Cons
Long communte.
Intensive but an enlightening place to work.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 21, 2016
A typical day would consist of running participants with the current study in the lab or completing daily lab tasks scheduled on a computer. I learned a lot about recording, organizing and analyzing data and ethics about interacting with participants. Sometimes instructions for completing lab tasks were vague or confusing which could be frustrating at times. The most enjoyable part of the position was being able to interact with participants and engaging in meaning conversation with other lab assistants and managers about research in social/personality psychology.
Intellectually regirous and enlightning
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 17, 2016
working hours were flexible and I could work from anywhere. It was basically researching literature and developing a work plan. I am part of developing a research manual for the community based researcher. It has been a great learning experience working with the professor who is the lead researcher for a SSHRC funded project. It is too much based on computer but most fun thing about working on this project is it intellectually empowering.
Pros
flexisble and fun
Cons
too table/computer based
Fun learning experience
student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
Featherstone Music
After school I would teach kids between the ages of 4-12 piano from half an hour to an hour. I learned how to cater to students individual learning styles and how to manage time between teaching songs and working/developing students technical skills. The hardest part of the job was to determine when to challenge the student more or when to stay on a particular piece/skill and develop it. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the student progress with every piece and seeing him/her realize he/she made a mistake and fixed it.

Hospital for Sick Children
I would get NF1 cells from the incubator and look at the effects of lithium on these cells. I learned valuable research skills such as cell culture and keeping a neat lab notebook. I learned how to manage my time between different aspects of the experiment in order for optimal use of time in the lab. My mentors would teach me lab skills such as western blot and cell culture. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting results whether they were expected or not expected and being taught how to analyze and interpret data
Pros
experience!
Cons
Hours would be after a long day of class
Very academic environment, with opportunities for the right individual to shine.
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
I worked with a great team of Project Managers and co-workers, who were all very helpful. I learned the SAP system through courses and individual training, which is an additional asset.

This was my first exposure to a Public sector job, and I found the environment interesting, sometimes restrictive and somewhat stagnating, but looking back it was a good and secure place to be.
Pros
Pension plan
Cons
Job duties were not what I expected
ASBLab provided an interesting work environment to grow and practice initiative.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2016

I was put in charge of developing a face tracking algorithm for the Tangy robot. Tangy is a multi machine robot, where several nodes communicate with each other to accomplish a common goal.

I was able to use software and visual face recognition techniques to help Tangy identify people's faces. The software would then communicate with the motors actuating his neck to cause Tangy to maintain eye contact and follow people around.
Relaxed workplace with minimal supervision allows work to progress and be completed
Information Systems Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 12, 2016
typical workday involves continued development of projects currently assigned, over the course of the internship four projects were worked on and completed.
Pros
freedom to work on own pace/relaxed environment with minimal supervision
Cons
confusing chain of command, too many people giving instructions
A typical day of work.
Graduate Studies Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 5, 2016
A typical day of work as a graduate assistant would be filing papers, doing spreadsheets and doing certain tasks to help out the assistant. I have learned how to improve my time management skills. The most enjoyable part of the job would be researching about a specific assignment that the assistant has assigned me to do.
Interesting work, inadequate pay, good professional development
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 11, 2016
The joys and drawbacks of teaching are well-known. U of T as an employer is respectful and flexible, providing lots of support to both teachers and students. There is lots of competition for instructor jobs, so the salaries will never properly compensate you for the work you do. You take the job for the experience.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 28, 2016
A typical day would involve checking notebooks for the students, distributing their quizzes, explaining their tasks for the experiment
Pros
Experience
My second home
Health and Safety Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
Every day here is an exciting day and reminds me of how well this department operates to provide valuable training to the University of Toronto.

Every individual working here is incredibly brilliant and brings different perspective to the table. This team has such passion for health and safety and it's incredibly motivating.
colleagues are very easy going.
Electrical Engineering Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
I collaborated with a group of Ph.D candidates, professional engineers and professors under department of electrical and computer engineering. I obtained professional skills on PCB design by Altium, chip design by Cadence and advanced circuit and chip testing techniques.
University of Toronto, Faculty of Law
Bookstore Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 10, 2016
The University of Toronto, Faculty of Law has been a pleasant and memorable workplace. The faculty is wonderful to work amongst. I've gained a tremendous amount of my office skills from working within different offices. I've been very thankful for the work experience and also the consideration of wonderful opportunities in different departments.
Pros
Staff Lunches, Faculty/Staff Parties
Great place to work!
Sediment Geochemistry Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 14, 2016
A typical day involves lab work doing titration, and spectophotometric analysis of lake water. I have learned proper lab techniques such as titration, pipetting, spectophotometry, data collection.

Working in the lab is quite enjoyable and I love working here.
Tensive but beneficial
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 22, 2016
The study in University of Toronto was full of challenges. However, it was also exciting with suprises. University of Toronto provides a lot of resources which are very help for future career build-up but it is up to you to discover these resources and services
Great job, environment could be better at times...
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 19, 2015
I enjoyed my time at UofT. The work was diverse, interesting and the management struck a good balance between guidance and freedom for its employees. However, at times, the culture was not overly positive (when I worked there) which effected my desire to stay.
good working envinroment
Events coordinator and usher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 4, 2016
Great staff and management. constantly changing work schedule depending on the events on the school calender. A very stable job to have..
Productive and fun environment
CSC108 Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 7, 2016
It's a very good salary for a fun work environment. UofT is definitely a place to consider for job opportunities.
I would say that it is difficult to get a job with the faculty but once you do, it's a very enjoyable experience.
Graphic Designer, Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Downtown TorontoApril 26, 2016
Great place to work. Lots of nice hardworking people. Flexible hours (contract). Department was going through restructuring - this was a time of some uncertainty. Overall great experience.
Pros
Flexibility with working hours (contract).

4.4